Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Winty posted:

- They had to do this to serve a growing internet base that is a little less tech savvy

It is nice that some technology is actually making things easier rather than harder, like ok, I cannot spell "Gqeberha", or even pronounce it, but I can find the right result on Google soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

transliteration would be ok, but completely different names helps absolutely no one.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

HappyHippo posted:

it seems like there's been an industry-wide trend the last few years of eliminating features and options, seemingly in an attempt to ape apple's "minimalist" design. i miss the days where if software wasn't working the way you wanted there was some option buried in the preferences that would fix it

The reality is that was software that was over developed with hidden untested and undocumented features. Took too long to reach market and cost more than it should have to develop.

It’s also the idea of whether a developers time should be of value, ie like a service, rather than a product. It is usually preferable to have a faster moving product than slower, break-everything drops. Of course there are many who believe in the exact opposite.