Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

a pretty clear sign that it is worse is that i am back to using domain-specific search engines for a lot of things. e.g. actually search on youtube for youtube stuff, scholar or even local library for academic papers, a few select sites i like for recipes, etc. used to be that google just did everything better for everything.

I'm kind of doing the same but in reverse, and it sucks because it just further silos my internet usage into specific platforms. A lot of how I search now is doing a google search for `site:reddit.com what im looking for` and it is miles better than using reddit's native search to look for things.

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

SO DEMANDING posted:

also i've got this pet theory that one of the reasons forums have dwindled in popularity is google just flat-out doesn't index them anymore.

although the decline in general popularity of forums is bad, forums are still the best form of social interaction on the internet, and this is one of the things that makes forums good.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

this is how i search for tweets because twitter search is worse than google search. duckduckgo has the same syntax and it works sometimes but not all the time for finding tweets, it works great for most other sites

yeah Twitter is another one that holds true for. stack overflow too.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

big scary monsters posted:

jeffrey needs to make the forums search work for the entire internet imo. googles time is running out, something awful's day has come

low tax not selling for millions in the early aughts, having to give the site away due to domestic violence rebellion, and then watching as Mr Yospos makes this site worth millions again.... hell, I'm lollin just thinkin about it

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

have you considered binging up your are rear end op?

ive considered all sorts of things up my rear end

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Winty.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

upon further reflection, i feel like evertyhing is just awful these days, op.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Bloody posted:

tbh the hardest goog product to dump has been maps. there's somehow no viable alternatives other than pulling out my phone and using apple maps

and YouTube I guess but that's kinda different

yeah ddg/bing maps is dogshit

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

if there's one benefit to living in the bay area, it's that apple maps actually works really well here for some mysterious reason. so odd.

yah its great here but it was so annoying going back to my rural midwestern state and having Apple Maps try to constantly route me down unpaved backroads instead of going two streets down for a normal road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

SO DEMANDING posted:

holy poo poo was google maps a revelation after dealing with garbage like mapquest

it used to be so sick