Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
google+ was about the point when i realized that google the company sucks
all that underhanded poo poo they did to get people signed up was because it was some executive's project and he wanted bigger numbers to look good. also having things you do on other sites show up as activity in google+ (like youtube comments) so they could claim to have more daily users.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I noticed a long time ago that searching "verbatim" is loving worthless.

when i was in college from like 2006 to 2010 i would google an entire sentence from my textbook and i would put quotation marks around them so i only get results that were identical to what i typed in

in the past 3 or 4 years, verbatim will give me bullshit hits that don't even have the exact loving phrase i typed in. even if i used quotation marks and/or clicked "verbatim".

this is true and it sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

there isn't, really. as you correctly note, everything is on facebook or reddit or pinterest or instagram or some other aggregator. there aren't just random mom-and-pop websites any more.

they still exist they're just hard to find.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
why not use the highly trustworthy product reviews on the website you're shopping from?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
how can anyone work in seo i would hate myself

i guess if you have no other job prospects and need to put food on the table, but otherwise...

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Soricidus posted:

god google maps sucks rear end these days tho. no gently caress you I don’t want to ~explore the neighborhood~ I want to see a loving map without your lovely cruft covering half the screen

yeah gently caress this poo poo

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

how much of search degradation could also be attributed to content being locked behind a bunch of garbage bullshit javascript?

i think the crawler is basically a full browser these days

i think the arms race between google/seo is probably the main thing.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

bing maps is good for their birdseye view (photos taken from low flying airplanes), something which google maps used to have but then ditched in favor of their gloopy dogshit looking 3D crap (though sometimes I've seen embedded gmaps things that still have it, old api version or some poo poo?)

if your computer is lovely enough you get that version

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

an extremely cool feature of google earth was the ability to pull a GPS track off a Garmin device and import it straight in so you could see your little hike on the terrain. Google's abandonment of their sort of maximalist approach to design has been really sad, every service you can watch good useful features just drop away for seemingly no reason

it seems like there's been an industry-wide trend the last few years of eliminating features and options, seemingly in an attempt to ape apple's "minimalist" design. i miss the days where if software wasn't working the way you wanted there was some option buried in the preferences that would fix it

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Komojo posted:

My favorite part of Google search is how you can add "-" to filter your search but then it just adds those terms to the advertising results. So if you add -"funko pop" to an image search the first thing you will see is a row of ads for funko pops.

but why are you seeing ads?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
our website is so laden with cruft and third party scripts and ads and tracking scripts and social media integration and auto-playing videos that no one asked for, now it's loading too slow

solution: amp

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

rotor posted:

this is my all time favorite right behind people who give products a 4 star review because, despite breaking the first time they were used, they were packed well and got there fast.

yeah these people were probably paid to give it a good review
i read an article about someone who does fake reviews. the people paying for the review didn't actually care what she wrote, so long as it was a 5 star review. so she'd leave an honest review but always with 5 stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
searching for a circuit design thing, using the word "io" (input/output)

google is helpfully matching against pages containing "10"