Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

agreed, op. it's fuckin dogshit.

Animal Friend posted:

Its a popular search engine with a market monopoly. Its no longer designed for data retrieval, just generating hits.

and i think this it what it comes down to. specifically, generating hits which lead to advertising revenue.

also i've got this pet theory that one of the reasons forums have dwindled in popularity is google just flat-out doesn't index them anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

my bitter bi rival posted:

it just further silos my internet usage into specific platforms.

this is very bad and we're watching the internet as we knew it die very slowly

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Connormgs posted:

I feel like just browsing the internet is straight up impossible now, you search for something on google you get links to a million phishing sites and anything past the first page is pretty much worthless. Everything has congregated to centralized websites like reddit and facebook so how the hell do you find stuff on the internet when forums are on their last real breath and you don't want to scrooooooooool on reddit and facebook for hours? I was talking to someone the other day that agreed that browsing feels impossible but how do I go about fixing this? It feels like there's almost nothing to do on the internet itself unless you're on discord playing a game or chatting with someone.

SO DEMANDING posted:

this is very bad and we're watching the internet as we knew it die very slowly

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

google maps isn't quite as good as maybe 5-6 years ago or thereabouts, but still better than the competition. but i know that someday they'll drop the hammer and completely screw it up somehow

bing maps is good for their birdseye view (photos taken from low flying airplanes), something which google maps used to have but then ditched in favor of their gloopy dogshit looking 3D crap (though sometimes I've seen embedded gmaps things that still have it, old api version or some poo poo?)

and lately i've found bing maps has a lot of street view photos on little side streets google hasn't covered. thanks microsoft for tossing a bunch of money in a furnace, i guess?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

holy poo poo was google maps a revelation after dealing with garbage like mapquest