Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i can’t remember the last time i tried to research a product and the first page of google results wasn’t entirely garbage like seo affiliate marketing blogs or tech “news”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Achmed Jones posted:

same. i am also sick of sites that are either machine generated or written by some content farm employee that doesn't understand the language and takes 500 words to say a ten word sentence. as far as i can tell, basically all sites purporting to be about a general topic (dog training, hair care, whatever) are this way

its insanely bad

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bloody posted:

apple maps

lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mediaphage posted:

lol all you want but they’ve dumped a poo poo load of cash into improving it. i use it as much as possible these days and rarely have an issue with it. i don’t even have it on my phone. this is a relatively populated area tho.

the mac application is good too but hard to break the muscle memory of browsering over to google

i just searched for the exact name, in chinese, of a local japanese restaurant in my neighborhood. apple maps helpfully zoomed me over to a mountain with a different name that’s a homonym of the restaurant i searched, but very clearly not the same name or chinese characters. the mountain is 150km away and in a different city, so it updated my search area to this new city until i manually pulled it back to my location

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

it probably works better outside china

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mediaphage posted:

gotta assume baidu has a map app?

yeah baidu maps works well

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i kinda think a map app in china that uses english or whatever is doomed to fail. outside of a few tourist places, the translation of place names is extremely inconsistent, non standardized, and no local will know where you're talking about

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

MrMoo posted:

transliteration would be ok, but completely different names helps absolutely no one.

they don’t just transliterate though, everyone seems to translate random words and transliterate everything else. like my old office building wrote its address in english as High Tech Park Nan 7th Road, where Nan means South

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sweevo posted:

i hate how

woah, lets not say anything we cant take back