Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

a pretty clear sign that it is worse is that i am back to using domain-specific search engines for a lot of things. e.g. actually search on youtube for youtube stuff, scholar or even local library for academic papers, a few select sites i like for recipes, etc. used to be that google just did everything better for everything.

this is why i really like duckduckgo, i can tab over to the search box and type !yt to search youtube directly, or !wiki, or !ebay, or almost anything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

my bitter bi rival posted:

I'm kind of doing the same but in reverse, and it sucks because it just further silos my internet usage into specific platforms. A lot of how I search now is doing a google search for `site:reddit.com what im looking for` and it is miles better than using reddit's native search to look for things.

this is how i search for tweets because twitter search is worse than google search. duckduckgo has the same syntax and it works sometimes but not all the time for finding tweets, it works great for most other sites

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

El Mero Mero posted:

I will say that they've gotten so good at rapidly delivering generic and general results whose answer I already know that we're at a moment where it can be faster to search a partial url and click on the first result than it is to type the full url that you knew the whole time.

Basically they've managed to reimagine the web in the way that accommodates the old people who used to go to google and type "yahoo.com" into the search bar.

aol keywords, now with more advertisements

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

pointsofdata posted:

it's because their engineers are dumb and overpaid op. I'll continue to believe this until they fix it.

google's engineers are so bad that they can't maintain any of their existing products, that's why they cancel things so often, easier than supporting them for more than six months

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Even searching in the Chrome address bar for previous sites sucks rear end. I visit my electric company's website once a month and no matter what Chrome will never show it to me as I am typing the site out. It does that to me with sites I visit multiple times per week ffs.

Meanwhile a website I visited once fourteen years ago will auto populate in Firefox just fine

google is an advertising company and forcing you to search for everything is one way they show you more ads

don't use a web browser made by an advertising company

Soricidus posted:

god google maps sucks rear end these days tho. no gently caress you I don’t want to ~explore the neighborhood~ I want to see a loving map without your lovely cruft covering half the screen

my "favorite" thing is all the ads they show in the map itself, like special pins on dunkin donuts or whoever else is shoveling millions of dollars into google's coffers

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Ansible Adams posted:

yeah ddg/bing maps is dogshit

ddg uses apple maps i think

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

HappyHippo posted:

it seems like there's been an industry-wide trend the last few years of eliminating features and options, seemingly in an attempt to ape apple's "minimalist" design. i miss the days where if software wasn't working the way you wanted there was some option buried in the preferences that would fix it

now that most "settings" interfaces have basic semantic search (e.g. you can search for "wallpaper" in macos and it brings you to the right setting), i think software could do this better than it was in 1996. bring back a little complexity in software

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

hate how multiple options are now compressed into a single option so it's just a big take it or leave it with no granularity

microsoft is the worst for this but google and apple aren't far behind

wait, you're saying microsoft is worse than apple at providing granular options? did you get this backwards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Bloody posted:

don't use Google products. hth

imagine letting google read all your emails so they can advertise to you