Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Motivating,

Silver Tongue would be my second choice but this one would likely boost our in ring scores?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Yeah I agree that motivating seems like the obvious pick here

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Agreed on Motivation. Even our lowish Silver Tongue seems to be good enough to get people to cross the pacific or indian ocean.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
I'm gonna disagree and say Creativity has been our greatest strength to ensure that we have stayed on top of our game. We make simple stories work and have good twists the fans love. As for a minor request, can you give Prellinger more time in the ring for the next quarter?

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven
Episode 40: Oh, Canada

Thread has voted, motivation it is!

Here’s an aspect of the game I don’t think I’ve explained: Figureheads. Every company can appoint one of their Stars or Major Stars as a figurehead (or the “ace” in Japan), signaling that they are the primary focus in the company, the shows revolve mostly around them and the marketing and merchandising heavily features them. Real life examples would be pretty much any WWF/WWE top guy from the 80s forward (Hogan, Hart/Michaels, Austin/Rock, Cena and Reigns) or wrestlers like Antonio Inoki or Hiroshi Tanahashi as the faces of NJPW in different eras.

Figurehead has to be in his position for over a year before possible financial bonuses start kicking in, the longer they are in that role, the stronger the bonuses. Not anyone can be a good figurehead, as they are required to be popular, charismatic and have significant star quality. In APW, not even Nicky Gilbert is good enough for the role! (SubUrban Legend would be the only guy that the game would recommend, but he would first have to get more over than pretty much everyone.)

As far as USPW’s call to remove Nicky Champion from the position, it’s a weird one. Champion is still the biggest star in the world (94 pop in almost every game area) and unlike a lot of top USPW stars, not in decline… yet. This will also give him a major negative penalty to his morale, probably affecting his performances.

(With Champion no longer in his position and USPW not appointing a new one, there are only three companies with figureheads: RAW (Swoop McCarthy), SWF (Rocky Golden) and, surprisingly, VWA (Landon Mallory))

While FCW itself is dead, their Hall of Fame lives on. As one of their all-time biggest names Handsome Stranger retires, he is honored near the start of the month. Former head booker and “triple crown” champion is only the third man in FCW Hall of Fame after the tragically deceased Shawn Gonzales and owner/local folk hero Puerto Rican Power.

Stranger isn’t the only induction this month as the SWF Hall adds their second team after the legendary Lords of War. Quadruple B, brothers Brett and Bart Biggins. The Biggins brothers were The Team in SWF in the first decade of the 2000s, four time tag champions and objects of worship for their legions of teenage fans. Age and injuries caught up to them and the two were pretty much in nothing roles for over a decade, with Bart eventually jumping to TCW. With Brett retiring, the two get the big honor.

WLW stars are starting to make some waves in EX2010 as their yearly Junior Heavyweight Grand Prix sees the Nichiren Amagawa grab the win over his WLW companion Masa Kurata.

He can talk, he can wrestle and he can draw… cartoons! Mills is truly multi talented.

A bit of a different show this time. For some reason I have left Canberra Special as a shorter show than all the rest (probably because it was my first time running two shows a month) so aside from the big match series running through the night, most other stories are segregated into big tag matches.

Story of the night is a big five match series between members of Pinn Enterprises and Animal Kingdom in preparation for the BIG match next show. The results are somewhat predictable: Shark beats Mattell, Devine defeats Cobra, Peverell knocks out Possum and Blithe makes Wasp tap out. Tied 2-2 Gilbert naturally goes all out against Pinn and prevails, giving the babyfaces the momentum going in. (If I was doing a War Games / Blood & Guts style staggered entry match, this would have been a cool way to decide the man advantage. But since the APW crowd are deathly opposed to tables and blood, we’ll be going for a traditional elimination match).

Elsewhere on the card two big ten man tags with Polar BEEF Energy (Vortex, Flash, Mason, Chuck and Kasey) suffering a defeat against Team Global (Nameth, Prellinger, Tyrant, Tate & Hamstead) and LEGEND Family (Wayne, Laine, Keenan, Legend & Nighthawk) manage to prevail over the heel crew. Mills and Gerard have another heated discussion, this time Gerard berating Mills for dodging him as the only legitimate challenger. Mills is pretty pissed at Gerard’s antics over the last while and doesn’t really want to reward him, only further fueling the ex-champion’s ire. Main event has Boon and Macquarie finally face off against each other, with the bitter Boon prevailing at the end.

Great results just keep piling up with another 63 rated show!

- Mills and Gerard continue to deliver on the mic. I have my doubts that the eventual match(es) between the two won't reach these highs, but we can always hope!
- Despite his poor stamina, Pinn can go six minutes well enough. A Gilbert singles match will always deliver, but Pinn himself had one of his better showing in a while as the two ended up having great chemistry together. It is also the match that carries the show up it’s rating and probably hurts the main event a bit as well. I know, I SHOULD have main evented with Gilbert but Pinn’s recent showings didn’t exactly give me the confidence to do so.
- Macquarie and Boon have their blow-off match and it’s great, even if it gets a bit overshadowed by the preceding contest. Boon is heading towards a big match soon enough and Macquarie… well, not sure yet.
- Rest of the Enterprises/Kingdom series was good, if not especially surprising. Shark/Mattell could have been a bit better but the other matches landed where I expected them to.

While these “Forgotten” stories pop up once in a while, I thought this was a curious one to highlight. Former UEW champion Menace has been out of action for a year after leaving UEW. Usually only long time injuries keep notably popular guys out of action for this long. Not even EWA has wanted to grab the somewhat decent monster to their ranks. Nothing happens in Europe, once again.

Legend isn’t the only one that can create friendship on social media as Macquarie and RAW midcarder Lynx hit it off. Cool.

EILL finally hires the biggest “independent” star in Mexico as Mr. Lucha III joins the juggernauts of the south. This naturally means a few things. OLLIE and EMLL lose their biggest draw and best wrestlers as EILL gains a top tier worker, COTT loses an important wrestler to the whole alliance and more importantly… the near 800 day OLLIE trios title reign ends WITH MR LUCHA VACATING THE TITLES. What is even more infuriating, Mr. Lucha was available for all OLLIE shows this month so they could transition the titles to someone else. NOPE, he was in TOTALLY UNRELATED trios matches through the whole month.

It isn’t the only long title reign to come to a close this month as Kozue Kawashima loses the Glory Crown back to Seiji Jimbo after two years. The pattern of major heavyweight titles in Japan just going back to the previous champion after exactly two years is… boring.

With OLLIE trios titles vacated and Kawashima losing his belt, the honor of the longest title reign today goes to BCG World champion Blast Ikoma, whose disappointing title reign hits 661 days at the end of the month.

The true BCG ace Torii has to make waves in WLW instead, dethroning Kazuma Narato to become the main champion in WLW. BCG guy winning in WLW, WLW guy winning in EX, pandemonium on the streets!

It’s a big month as far as talent moves in smaller US companies are concerned. I rarely highlight wrestlers getting extensions, but this is a bit different. CZCW give out their first written deal to lock down Fernandes for the next three years. Seeing IPW lose Blackfriar might have spooked them out to secure their own top star for the next while. CZCW also strengthen their roster with GSW star Fro Sure and all-around talent Teresa Perez from QAW. West coast colleagues in GSW opt for more lower card depth with former IPW prospect Zombie Boy and bland CZCW midcard act Chet Chavez.

On the other side of the country NYCW make some smart hires as former RIPW champion Deever Arnold and PSW high flyer Acid II join the fray. PSW looks around at everyone hiring young, fresh talent… and bolster their company with Doug “brother of Eddie” Peak, hardcore wrestler who made most of his career in Japan very much on the downswing and Lead Belly, joining his equally old partner Grease Hogg to reform Dirty White Boys tag team. Nostalgia has never killed any wrestling companies, remember that!

WQ2020 has had a… flexible mindset with their title reigns, with no title being defended more than twice successfully during their two year existence. The TermiNation team managed to get one defense in for the Blood Sisters tag belts before dropping them to Murder Inc, team of 5Star workhorse Gemmei Oonishi and the trusted veteran hand Otsune Tsumura. Well, maybe this is the start of a brand new era for the tag t-

You have to be loving kidding me.

(the retirement wasn’t on the same night, but about a week later, naturally championship ended up as vacated)

DIW and BHOTWG try to use the same playbook to screw with me and my former allies, both efforts ending up in a glorious failure. DIW, you should probably work on increasing your own financial balance.

Championship Carnival is here and every title is on the line! Gerard gives out once again as Tyrant has been granted a title shot against Mills, (correctly) noting that HE beat Tyrant not that long ago. Devil nets himself another defense against the valiant effort of Keenan, boasting about his title reign afterwards. R & R get themselves a title match as well, but come up short against the champions. With no Dudes in sight, Vortex and Black Flash step up as the next in line for Goliath Global. Apocalypse once again beats Laine as Wayne is unable to stop the might of Warmonger. D-Pod reappears giving backup to Lucketti against SHADOW LEGENDS and the duo come out on top after Wilkes and Lydecker take out Legend during the match itself.

The big time unit disbands match isn’t even the main event but the clear emotional core of the night. Two stables enter, one stable leaves. In a shocking twist, Gilbert is the first man eliminated, thanks to interference by Boon. Kingdom fight against the odds, both sides get eliminations but White Wasp is the last man standing against Pinn and Blithe. With the support of the crowd (and his eliminated teammates around ringside), Wasp fights for his life… and eliminates Pinn! One on one, there is a chance! With his mask barely hanging on, Wasp gives his all, flips and flies around the ring and has Blithe nearly beat… until Pinn smashes his face in with a hefty briefcase as the referee is distracted, allowing Blithe to grab him in a tight pinning maneuver and giving Pinn Enterprises the ultimate victory. Animal Kingdom is forced to disband as Devine, Shark, Possum and Wasp walk backstage together for the last time… Gilbert having left a long time ago to chase after Boon.

(I’m using my “artistic” freedom a bit here: the game actually generates the elimination order in matches like this, but I wanted my own spin on things)

After that bombshell, Gerard further cements his status as a top contender defeating a capable Black Flash as Mills follows the match from commentary. Mills and Tyrant have a straight up brawl but Mills comes out on top in a clutch situation, even with Gerard and Mason making their mark on the match.

Yeah, that elimination match reaaaaaaaally should have main evented.

Will 63 become the new norm in show ratings? Two in a row as APW continues to be on fire, if numbers are to be believed.

- The CWA squad arrives in the pre-show. Unfortunately George Wolfe is a Powerhouse (an unfortunate oversight on my part) and hiring him would be against my owner goal. Frustratingly it’s easier to talk people into working in a new area than it is to make them change their ring style (that affects absolutely nothing). Stone, Beau and the Griffins start pretty much on the same level and all four need some major build-up. Three of the four have roles in mind for the (short-term) future, so we’ll see how quickly they’ll start contributing.
- D-Pod is a familiar foe for SHADOW LEGENDS, but with D-Pod’s previous (short) alliance with Wilkes and Lydecker, it’s the logical guy to bring in to the fold. Lucketti will probably gain some valuable experience working alongside one of our better mic workers and few high flying style wrestlers as well.
- Tyrant didn’t have one of his better showings tonight, but it didn’t really matter. Mills is untouchable right now, both men are white hot and both storylines are chugging along nicely. A match worth revisiting in the future as long as both men stay healthy. The semi-main was a success considering what it had to follow. Flash is solid as hell, even if he is a bland character for APW.
- While I did enjoy Animal Kingdom for the time it lasted, when Fox left it was always living on borrowed time. Gilbert as the “leader” was always a temporary call and never a natural fit for the group. The disbandment frees up Gilbert to do other things (vengeance against Boon) right now and other things (you just kinda left your “pals” to the dust) a bit later. Shark and Devine will probably still tag together, Wasp found himself a frequent spot alongside Gilbert and Possum… well, he’s once again screwed.
- In comparison, Pinn Enterprises have a lot left in the tank and disbanding the top heel stable wasn’t really ever in question. Even if Pinn slides to an even more managerial role as the years roll on by, his stable should be a constant presence. My heels lose big payoffs a lot so it’s kind of needed to do big wins like this once in a while to keep your bad guys actually threatening. (please ignore how Team Forbes have lost their every feud)

GOD DAMMIT GERARD, I DON’T CARE!

*ring ring*

WHAT?

Greer did WHAT.

Now if this doesn’t count as torpedoing your own career, I don’t know what does. Greer decides to walk out on his excursion destination for… reasons. His Egomaniac attribute might have something to do with the fact. Now the guy is stuck in Japan for ten more months with no one probably wanting to take him, completely defeating the purpose of sending him there to gain match experience.

This is definitely the first time something like this has happened to me and I can’t really remember seeing other similar cases. I’ll see if the game lets me recall/rehire Greer to get him back home (and possibly send him straight back).

(I can definitely rehire him… but the game considers him to still be on excursion, so I can’t send him out and can only hire him for the duration of the excursion. Welcome back to jobbing your rear end off, kid!)

While the smaller companies did some interesting moves, the big boys weren’t far behind. COTT, PSW and NYCW suffer big hits as Austin Smooth and Xavi Ferrera get hired by TCW. Both are decently young and quite talented. Losing Smooth looks like a painful one, as COTT loses a reigning tag champion and NYCW/PSW lose an important building block of their post-Youngman future.

A BIGGER hire is the first actual star that TCW manage to hire in this save. USPW, suffering from worse roster bloat than me, let Bulldozer Brandon Smith go as they don’t renew his contract. As Bulldozer doesn’t appear to be in decline quite yet, TCW manage to gain an elite level brawler to work near the top of the card.

But USPW aren’t shook. They just hire the Man of this universe, Tommy Cornell himself. SWF are once again left crying in the corner of their room. Cornell might be declining, but if USPW are getting use of the near decade older James Justice, I’m sure Cornell will have a nice time coasting there for the next couple of years. Working for USPW also probably means that Cornell will drop out of the Power 500 top ten.

Next time: What’s next for the former members of Animal Kingdom? Where ARE The Dudes?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
If he's been around long enough, you should consider rebranding Wasp as something obviously still White Wasp, like "Ivory Vespid" and keep him partnered with Gilbert, but have them ranked as individuals. You'd be surprised (or you wouldn't be. You seem quite comfortable with this game) how separated in overness a good tag team of individuals can be. I don't see a drawback, because if Gilbert wants to stay doing singles, you can get away with.... Either not booking Wasp, or just keeping him on low card matches. It's not like tag team experience deteriorates (if it does at all, it does so incredibly slowly). But you get a free tag team that you can always stick into programs or filler spots, and if Wasp loses, it won't hurt Gilbert too much at all.

How promising is Greer? I feel like that's a fire worthy offense if he's not anything special. Did that hurt your relationship with the other company at all? I've never seen that happen either. Not even to the AI, if I can be arsed to remember who is excursioning where.

If he's got crazy potential, a fun thing you can do is have him lose to absolutely everyone in your roster, starting with the very top guys. Mix up being squashed with having overlong matches where he's basically tortured by the big heels, and he should get skilled up. Have segments where he's taunted by everyone good at entertainment stats but is, himself, still rated on his skills. Even losing in angles, he will develop.

Then if he's not as much of an rear end in a top hat, and his potential is showing through, rebrand him, go back around through the roster in the reverse order until he's at the level you want him.
If he sucks though, just cut bait after his excursion. Maybe have him get squashed to all your recent hires, or to help heat up any of your low card guys so they're not permanently ice cold.

A cheaty (but somehow still justifiably realistic) thing you can do with your low card guys is run a storyline between them, and add someone super over with fantastic entertainment skills as a minor participant on neither side. Then you put the over guy in angles that use both participants, you don't even have to have them on screen. Just... Let the entertaining guy wax poetic for a while about this dumb undercard feud that's captured his imagination. Since the storyline will advance (both major players are "in" the angle) and since it will be HOT (it'll be rated almost entirely on the work of the more talented worker), you can add stakes to even your bottom feeders without tanking anything. If you feel guilty, you can have the segment also rated on something they're good at. (Since, that's what your "commentator" character is talking about.)

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven

Veryslightlymad posted:

How promising is Greer? I feel like that's a fire worthy offense if he's not anything special. Did that hurt your relationship with the other company at all?

The relationship with SAISHO didn't suffer (thankfully). Greer himself is promising by Oceania standards, even if his Star Quality isn't the highest. He is going to be a one note brawler, but he has very good looking fundamentals for his age and experience. He has two major flaws in addition to his Egomaniac attribute: comparatively average selling and his still collapsing stamina thanks to his heavy smoking habit. I'll keep him around, for now, but he has definitely earned a spot on the poo poo list.

As far as Wasp goes, yeah, keeping him attached to Gilbert in one way or another is the plan. Wasp is someone that can be rebranded by losing his mask, he even has a unmasked render as an alternate render in the database.

Triple A posted:

As for a minor request, can you give Prellinger more time in the ring for the next quarter?

I'll see what I can cook up for Prellinger. Even if his APW career isn't exactly taking off, he just main evented YEPW's show last month.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Hope this isn't dead, I've been reading it on and off.

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven

SirFozzie posted:

Hope this isn't dead, I've been reading it on and off.

Not quite dead, just extremely inconsistent with my updates! Speaking of...

Episode 41: Breaking records

Dizzy G is annoyed that he is still out of action. That’s what a broken neck does for you, pal. If he comes back, it will be as pre-show fodder for the time being.

A few interesting talents leave their promotions here in Oceania. Lerone Slim is one of the last ZEN Dojo trainees and an average technician. If I hadn’t buffed up the roster with talent from abroad, he’d probably be an interesting get for the midcard. DIW let Lilian O’Donahue go, who was actually the manager for the DIW-version of Pinn Enterprises. She’s a solid manager, but our (award-winning) Ceri Dordevich has really taken her spot with us. I'll have to keep her in mind if I'm in need of another manager (she can be a babyface as well, which is a bit rare).

Over in Japan, 5SSW go for their biggest acquisition yet. Tiffany Jade is the first former CWA wrestler (after our hires) to gain employment. Jade has proven herself as a top dog in USPW and CWA, so it’s logical she tries to conquer Japan next. She is at the peak of her career, so 5SSW gains another heavy hitter in their main event arsenal.

MAW loses one of their absolute top guys as THE ARCHITECT (of Your Destruction) decides to leave the company for the time being. He might be angling for a spot at TCW but I’m afraid he’ll end up floundering at the unemployment line for six months before finding another steady gig.

First Nameth and now Oliverio? I have no clue why my veterans have the urge to help Oliverio. Maybe Devine wanted to remind me that I completely forgot to give Oliverio a win when Pinn offered to put him over some time back. I’ll try to remember this time, geez!

Muscle Carnage time! Boon opens the show with a mic but barely gets a word out before Gilbert storms in. Fisticuffs are avoided as Boon has hired a row of security guards to keep Gilbert away from him. Boon yells that he was doing Gilbert a solid: he doesn’t need any friends to succeed in this business! Those guys were just dead weight anyway, who needs them! This understandably angers Gilbert a bit more as Boon escapes. Mason and Gerard have a big time match after their collision in the last show. Gerard once again grabs the victory, but not without predictable Team Forbes involvement. Forbes himself is saved from the wrath of Mason just in time by the newest members of his group, the Griffin brothers! Prellinger tags along with the brothers and gains a victory over R & R and Shark. SHADOW LEGENDS get back on track by defeating Wilkes and Lydecker. Gilbert gets some frustration out by teaming with Positive Energy in a winning effort against D-Pod, Oliverio and Monster. Afterwards, Chuck can’t keep his mouth shut and manages to anger Mosnter real bad by making fun of his tendency to lose in big matches. FCW alumni explode as Keenan and Laine defeat Peverell and Cobra in a close encounter. Former allies Simonson and Macquarie go up against the Samoans but come up short. The beatdown is interrupted by a debuting suplex machine, as David Stone runs in and throws Devil and Malietoa out of the ring! Hamstead takes on a future tag title challenger in Vortex and brutalizes his way to a victory. Main event sees Wayne take on Hatemonger with War keeping a close eye on the situation. Wayne outfights the big man and takes home the biggest win of his APW career thus far, the show ending in a tense staredown between him and Warmonger.

Another good show, but that is to be expected at this point!

- Team Forbes gains some members with the Griffins. The group kind of needed some kind of refreshment and I feel that adding Griffins helps with that. Mechanically speaking, tagging along with Griffin should help Nameth with his fundamentals/psychology and Prellinger with his Technical skills. Speaking of heel stables, Goliath Global could use some new members. Mutant/George Wolfe would have been perfect fits, but are unwilling to change their styles, so maybe it’s time to pull the trigger with Maniac Monster joining up with them.
- David Stone also gets his main show debut, allying with Simonson. While Simonson is on the downswing, it makes sense for the young technician to tag along with the veteran for a while.
- Wayne and Hatemonger have a great match in the main event, even if Wayne doesn’t have the best of nights. Semi-main and opener also end up great. Having Mason and Gerard go for a singles match at this point is kind of unusual for me, as a match that big should probably be saved for an actual program between the two. But sometimes you want to do some things differently.
- Gilbert and Boon have a killer angle to open the show. While Gilbert can have a great match with pretty much anybody in the roster (if I wanted to be boring, I’d main event every show with him in a singles match against… anybody, really), but I have high hopes that he and Boon can cook up some magic together. I have three big singles matches heating up (Gilbert/Boon, Wayne/War and Gerard/Mills) which I’m hoping can break the 70 rating barrier.
- Tagging in the pre-show, Greer finds great chemistry with Possum. I’m not going to call it a career saver, but frequently tagging with a solid veteran like Possum should do him a world of good.

Wayne has his contract renewed for another year for a bit less money. I’m surprised that RAW hasn’t come calling for him again, but I’m not complaining. It’s a bit surprising he agrees to continue with less money, as he has won most of his matches and hasn’t really lost that much popularity. As stated previously, his stamina might be falling hard but his popularity and charisma still make him a top star for us.

SWF is going through a hiring spree to power up their midcard. Independent stars Fro Sure and Tennessee William get the call and jump to the Land of Supreme. Both are great gets for SWF, being charismatic brawlers. NYCW is starting to feel the hits coming from every side, losing most of their featured stars in a real short timespan. Former EILL superstar El Leon is apparently happy cashing checks in the undercard, being mostly a jobber to the stars and renews his deal.

PGHW just can’t stop taking L’s. The company is stagnating hard and it doesn’t really help that one of their better hopes for the future goes out with a knee injury. Kamimura just came back from his excursion as well.

The injury bug also takes out SWF legend Angry Gilmore. Broken neck at his age will surely spell the end of his in-ring career. The former world champion is not the man he once was, but still a relevant piece in the SWF world. The youth movement is starting at the right time. At the same time, Mexican sensation Velocidad finally gets something resembling a push, toppling superstar duo Spade & Hernandez for the SWF tag titles alongside the latest heir to the Samoan bruiser throne, Charger Siaki (the younger brother of our very own King Malietoa!). The third Mexican in SWF, Gino Montero, is slowly climbing out of midcard hell, currently teaming with recent arrival Ash Campbell as a second generation duo.

21CW keeps expanding worldwide as their PPV coverage extends all the way to Mexico. The British juggernauts have been making some big time moves abroad. I think it’s only a matter of time before they start hiring big time foreign stars to their roster as well.

Mikey Lau’s excellent reign atop the EILL throne comes to an end as the undisputed Mexican top star El Heroe finally claims his first world title. It’s a deserved prize for him and the match itself selling nearly 65 000 tickets in the process. EILL is really rocking and the company repeating their Company of the Year award looks like a done deal with their main eventers fighting for the wrestler of the year honors.

I have no idea why BHOTWG is the most active company when it comes to trying out dirty tricks. The success rate is always really low so I don’t know what they are really trying to accomplish. WLW won’t be anything resembling competition for years!

Recent GSW newcomer Chet Chavez somehow gets the biggest win of his career, winning GSW’s yearly tournament. The GSW roster isn’t exactly bursting with talent (losing Sure doesn’t help), but you could always go back to their in-ring MVP Storm Spillane?

Second show of the month ends up like this. The show actually opens with a segment (accidentally cropped out) from the card and results), where Devine and Gilbert have a little chat. Devine doesn't hold back and blames Gilbert for some poor decision-making which led to the end of Animal Kingdom. Gilbert blows him off, as he has a main event to prepare for. Big ten man tag follows with the reinforced Team Forbes taking on Mason’s gang of good guys with the bad guys coming out victorious. The Beefiest Boy grabs the mic afterwards and challenges Tyrant in a Last Man Standing match to end this once and for all. Pinn Enterprises flaunt their dominance, beating down the job squad in a convincing fashion, even if Skip Beau’s “flow” almost steals the win on multiple occasions. LEGENDS continue their tussle with Lucketti’s group with R & R added to the mix, but come up short as Rampage gets hit with every dirty trick in the book. Oliverio and Monster gain some momentum with a big win as I actually remember to use Devine’s promise for a win. Wayne and Warmonger enter the ring for their match but the bell never rings as the two just start brawling around the place with the locker room emptying to drag the combatants to the back to cool off for a moment. Demolition take on Stone and Simonson with Stone scoring the big time upset win over the champ! Goliath Global actually lose in trios action but it’s on a DQ as Goliath once again launches an attack. The post-match beatdown is interrupted by the returning Dudes who kick rear end all over the ring!

Wayne and Warmonger end up back in the ring for a match, but that ends up falling into chaos as both men start throwing chairs around as the referee declares it a no-contest. Main event has all the big boys as Gilbert and Mills team up against Gerard and Boon. No one exactly trusts their partner, so teamwork isn’t exactly the name of the game. Both duos end up brawling outside the ring for a period of time and the heels manage to keep Mills and Gilbert on the outside to force a double count-out.

Ending the show with TWO no contest draws? Once again, APW fans just love that stuff.

With two huge matches at the top of the card, it’s no wonder we hit another all-timer show with a 66 rating. It also has our biggest attendance to date as well as viewership over on WrestleWorld.

- The two main events end up being great matches, but they get slight penalties by being draws. The main event is tremendous despite Gilbert and Mills having poor chemistry together. Mechanically it’s a shame, but as a story aspect it works: the two top babyfaces just can’t gel together working on the same side. The Wayne/War has both men not having the best of nights. Let’s hope the eventual blow-off is a better match. The angle between the two is, once again, awesome. Our tippy top segments like this can actually match some of RAW’s main event segments. Let’s not start a victory parade just yet, because usually their weakest match in any show beats our best match ever quite handily.
- Speaking of chemistry, the predictable happens as Stone and Simonson end up having absolutely zero chemistry as partners. Well, there goes that idea of mentor and protege. The story will get some sort of wrap-up, but the two will be going their separate ways.
- This might be our best show ever, but there’s very little to say about the undercard, mostly things moving along. Enterprises vs jobbers was always going to be the weak link of the card, by design. The losing side might gain something even in defeat.
- It goes without saying, but APW is still growing in popularity with almost every show we run. If things go well, we should be hitting Medium during the year or very early next year. Oceania’s economy and wrestling business have greatly rebounded from the start of the save so everything is going fine on the business side.

… For fucks sake, man.

D-Pod has put on some muscle to go to Middleweight. His Star Quality, Stamina and Power jump up a bit, so it’s a big positive for him. (The SQ is still very much average, so hitting the gym didn’t actually make him a must-see star).

ACPW try to fill the power vacuum in Canada as they rise to Medium size. They don’t go overboard with hires… as they hire absolutely nobody. I know that the very top CWA stars are probably out of their payscale, but there’s some young, cheap-ish talent to grab up!

Now this is interesting as I don’t think I’ve seen this story before! OLLIE is hit by a sex scandal (awfully topical in recent times) which will hurt them for the foreseeable future. This should tank their sponsorship, prestige and momentum for the next 12 months. OLLIE just made their best profit in a year this month, so we’ll see how bad the effect actually is next month. Will this result in another downward spiral for OLLIE? That remains to be seen.

Next time: Dudes go for the gold?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Gerard really just has something out for White Wasp, I know Wasp isn't anything special but at this point it seems personal.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Congrats on outliving Vince McMahon as a booker! I bet he would love to have an audience that would consider a show that ends with two non-finishes the best show ever.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Insertnamehere31 posted:

Congrats on outliving Vince McMahon as a booker! I bet he would love to have an audience that would consider a show that ends with two non-finishes the best show ever.

Eventually, someone's gonna have to actually win some.

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven

Triple A posted:

Eventually, someone's gonna have to actually win some.

Clean finishes? Over my dead body!

(Overusing distractions/interferences and "match gets out of hand" no contest are some of my flaws as a TEW booker, as I don't want to do the same singles match multiple times in a short timeframe but want to keep the stories going for more than a few shows)

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven
Episode 42: Still going strong

Remember when I said that ACPW wasn’t doing anything with their growth and a sudden influx of hot free agents? Well, all I had to do was wait a couple of days and the contracts started flying. CWA’s top two women after Brooke Tyler, Amber Allen and Lauren Easter join the fray as their biggest gets and are immediately their two best workers. Tag specialist Dermott Ayres returns home, veteran Lee “Thrill Seeker” Rivera comes in for a last run and the supremely charismatic Drake Young offers all the mic skills the company needs. ACPW gets a major boost off the back of all these wrestlers, but that’s not all! Referee of the Year Alan Gray, Hall of Fame -level manager Adrian Garcia and former greatest technician in the world, now a road agent Jeremy Stone join the company as well! ACPW might not have gone for the biggest names available, but this group should be huge for them. Young, Easter and the guy discussed in the next paragraph propel the company to new heights with their best match of all time, an 88 rated tag match also featuring former champion Mario da Silva.

ACPW also hires Robby Griffin… which is quite unpleasant for us. It’s a pay-per-appearance deal so he can still appear on both promotions, but he can’t exactly be on different sides of the planet at the exact same time. ACPW has their weekly TV on the exact same date as our bi-weekly shows. The easy way to fix this is just to move the date of our shows, as game-y as it is. This brings us to another problem. Getting hired by ACPW apparently made him realize his “true value” to us. So he asks for a mere 1500 DOLLAR INCREASE to his salary, which would make him our fourth most paid wrestler. That’s… a lot. Thankfully I’m not paying any downsides, so I only pay him if he shows up. Mark might be flying solo for a while.

ACPW isn’t the only one getting into the CWA party. TCW hires promising high flyer Sonny Wildside from right under ACPW’s nose. Wildside immediately becomes the second youngest member of their roster. QAW also hires Amber Allen to bolster their roster. QAW have had a quietly great year in the shadow of some of the other smaller US companies and the addition of Allen should give them another top shelf star alongside the likes of Danielle Sweetheart, Pinky Perez, Juana Hurricane, Ashley Keith and many more.

The month’s news mostly consists of talent moving around in the US. GSW seems to be going for the “hire every past their prime brawler that has sniffed the big time” as Akima Brave lands on the west coast after his second SWF run. Chet Chavez gets some support from the coast as his CZCW tag partner Simon Waves joins him in GSW. PSW goes for some brawling depth with Leroy Knights as NYCW bolster their midcard with tag team workers Jeff Petruzelli and Nate DeMarcus. As usual, it’s USPW who grabs the biggest fish, quite literally, as Killer Shark jumps to the juggernaut. Funnily enough, one of his last matches in TCW ends up being a losing effort against Wildside.

The second biggest death of the save also happens near the start of the month as Hollywood Brett Starr tragically dies in a car crash. The former COTT world champion and SWF world champion never quite became the star he was supposed to be. His SWF stardom never quite transferred to the superstar-infested USPW. His second generation tag team with Jay Chord was seldom featured but was always the highlight of the show. HOF inductions from MAW and probably SWF are soon to come. His last match was with Chord against The Amazing Bumfholes in the main event of USPW’s weekly show.

The world moves on and we have a show to run. Dark Wing ends up at the wrestler’s court by obsessing over his phone a bit too much and it costs him a pay day. These are the kind of memories he will surely treasure once he returns home to WLW.

Rumble in the Concrete Jungle looks like this. We open with another Boon/Gilbert/Devine segment, with tensions running high between all parties. Boon manages to defuse the situation for himself as he pushes Devine to Gilbert, which instigates a brawl between the two as Boon skulks away very happy with himself. Mills is in a rare spot opening the show as Prellinger gets a change to show his skills against the champ in a hard fought match. Brisbane Devil continues his title reign by dismantling the hopeful Stone in classic fashion. Keenan and Laine continue their great team efforts and manage to defeat Hatemonger and Dark Wing, as the latter are hardly a team and more of a man and his battering ram. Two feuds mingle in tag action as Legend tags along with Kasey against D-Pod and Oliverio with Kasey getting himself a win. D-Pod isn’t exactly pleased and immediately challenges Legend to a rematch which Legend agrees to… under his rules! A rap battle occurs and our resident wordsmith manages to do what very few men can: shut D-Pod’s mouth. The hyped up crowd is then brought down as the rest of the crew have a trios match with Nighthawk coming out victorious.

The tag titles are on the line in a three-way match with Anti-Polar Vortex and The Dudes challenging the dominant champions. In the end, neither of the challenging teams can get the job done as Hamstead manages to put away Flash as Massacre illegally holds back Lucas. Mason and Tyrant finally have their big Last Man Standing match and batter each other with meaty blows and some hardware found around ringside. In the end Mason throws Tyrant throw a stack of deadly tables, which keeps the eye-patched man down. After the match, the sneaky Forbes tries to get in a cheap shot but is blocked and finds himself left alone with Mason. And in true babyface fashion, Mason batters the defenseless manager a bit and keeps the Full Nelson locked in for a good bit. The headline of the show is the ten man rumble match with all the big guns… and Bradford Peverell. Winner gets the next shot at the Commonwealth title! Warmonger dominates before Wayne manages to muscle him out, Boon blindsides Wayne and gets him out which leaves three final contestants: Boon, Gilbert and Gerard. Boon goes out next but the elimination leaves Gilbert wide open for a Gerard chair shot and an easy final elimination. Gerard celebrates his second rumble win like he just won the biggest match if his career, much to the dismay of everyone.

Great show with a 64, what else can you expect at this point!

- As great as things are, I’m a bit disappointed by that semi-main. Both men can do better and the build was there to give them every chance to succeed, but things just didn’t work out. Mason had taken some big losses recently (notably to Gerard) so he wasn’t the hottest he could be going in and his performance reflected that. As much as Mason is featured, he’ll fall apart in the ring if not kept hot at all times. Tyrant had a bad night as well, but what can you do?
- Tag title match had the potential to be a bit better, but I guess the stipulation wasn’t the best for our audience. What’s notable is that Jesse has taken some notable steps forward in his performances! It’s mostly due to gaining experience and popularity, but he’s doing better than Kasey for example.
- D-Pod and Legend have a killer segment together. Neither have the popularity of Gilbert or any of our other main event stars, but have the talent to go absolutely ballistic on the stick if given the freedom to go without a script. It’s a shame it got sandwiched between two underwhelming matches featuring the other members of the little feud.
- Prellinger did well in his big match with Mills, which almost ended up as the match of the night. It wasn’t his best performance, but it’s hard to go wrong with Mills. Almost the same can be said about Devil’s defense, but he has excelled in getting the most out of undercard scrubs for most of his title run.

Barney, you can TALK? I mean, Mason does kinda have a point. Malietoa isn’t the most charismatic guy and has failed to connect with me (you can kind of see this with how much more of a spotlight Devil gets). But Malietoa has his uses with the highest Menace of the entire roster and that sweet 100 tag experience with Devil.

SWF is the first company to start their own broadcaster, which will allow them to air whatever they want, whenever they want. The investment costs them some cool 25 million dollars, but gives them a broadcast reach not available with any other broadcaster. And since they own the network, no one else will be piggybacking off this platform. The network is a huge one time investment, but should pay itself back during the following years. This will hopefully stop SWF’s frequent dropping down to Medium and going back up again.

The least surprising news of the year follows. Geez, you don’t say that the SWF NETWORK agreed to air SWF content. I’m shocked, shocked I say!

In other company related news, DIW finally faces the consequences of their actions. Upgrading to meet WrestleWorld’s broadcasting criteria isn’t cheap and will backfire if the company doesn’t have the funds to take some losses. Here’s the backfire. DIW is nearly 30 000 on the red, but are starting to turn the ship around. But will it be too late by then?

DIW immediately tries to redirect attention to elsewhere, which naturally blows up on their faces. Never change DIW, never change.

Congrats so Drucker… and Boon I guess?

SAISHO’s big tag tournament doesn’t feature The Diamond Dogs, but does have an interesting winning duo. “Mr. SAISHO” KAZ winning his first Tag Team Grand Prix is notable as the only thing he hadn’t won in the company, but his partner is almost as interesting. Daigo Goya is one of PGHW’s young boys from the start of the save and has done quite well for himself working for two companies. He has somehow surpassed his peers and boasts quite insane Psychology stat for someone so young.

Lydecker doesn’t really strike me as a social media type of guy, but it’s fun that he’s having some banter with Legend’s former tag partner while feuding with him.

QAW inducts the recently retired Foxxy LaRue into their Hall of Fame. She is actually their first ever inductee as a three time world champion and a Queen of the Ring winner.

Some title news before our other show of the month. Sensational Dragon keeps inflating his trophy cabinet with his seventh junior title reign. The 37 year old living legend is one reign away from tying the legendary Optimus. On the other side of the Pacific, Simon Waves immediately grabs gold in GSW with Chavez by his side.

Blast Ikoma’s overlong BCG world title reign also ends at the hands of Mabuchi Furusawa, one of BCG’s actual top guys. Ikoma’s reign extended to 19 successful defenses over 25 months. With that reign done as dusted, the honor of the longest running title reign shifts over to our very own Brisbane Devil! His Australian title reign has lasted 457 days at the end of the month and is one of the two reigns in the world that have lasted over a year, with Silver Tiger’s OLLIE Campeanato de Universal reign lurking at 450 days strong. The Australian title is due to a title change soon-ish, so don’t get used to this.

Thanks to the guidance of Simonson, Jesse finally recognizes a microphone and decides to entertain the boys with some screeching tones. Who just leaves karaoke machines lying around?

Super Saturday looks something like this. Mills opens the show addressing Gerard’s win and pointing out how the once proud champion has slowly lost everything that made him worth his and the fans respect. Gerard scoffs at these remarks, as the only thing that matters is him regaining his throne, regardless of Mills’ opinion. Opening match is a classic Apocalypse versus Wayne Family affair with War once again wrecking one of Wayne’s proteges. Mason enters the ring for a contest but is interrupted by Pinn, who sees some serious money making potential in Mason. Let bygones be bygones, you can make money with all this BEEF. Mason doesn’t seem that open to the idea as he defeats the snakeman. Trios action follows with Maniac dead set on destroying Chuck. Chuck can only dip, dive and dodge for so long before he gets sent to hell with a massive chokeslam as the faces suffer a surprisingly decisive loss. The situation between Gilbert and Devine stays heated as Devine tells Gilbert he has been inserted in the match between Gilbert and Boon. Gilbert comes back with some scathing words and the former teammates have to be held back by Wasp and Shark. In an all L match-up, Legend and Laine defeat Lydecker and Lucketti, followed up by Nighthawk overcoming Wilkes with D-Pod’s interference backfiring on both matches. The Dudes are allowed some mic time with Lucas confidently challenging Goliath Global once again. Goliath humors The Dudes, as long as they can survive whatever plot he has cooked up for them next show. Dudes get some momentum as they defeat the Goliath trio with some Vortex backup.

Boon, Gilbert and Devine step in the ring for a three way match with no lost between any of the parties. Somehow, someway Boon manages to slip away with the victory once again as he manages to surprise Devine after a hard fought battle. Gerard finally gets Mills where he wants in a singles title match and throws everything he has towards the champ… and it doesn’t work. Gerard ends up losing his cool and drills Mills with a chair shot in clear view of the referee, disqualifying himself. Gerard gives a few shots to the ref as well and continues beating down Mills as the show draws to a close.

Best show ever, yet again! We’re getting close to those sweet green numbers!

- And yet, the main event isn’t what it should be. The DQ finish might explain things, but one of my “sure” 70+ matches ending up being less than that is a bit of a letdown. Or maybe just Gilbert has completely wrecked the rating scale, as the main event is actually our best match ever not featuring the blonde phenomena. But they can do better, I know it!
- Likewise the preceding triple threat falls a bit short of expectations. Gilbert finally shares the ring with two genuinely talented people… and fails to lift them up his level. If the random Cobra/Gilbert match ends up being the match of the year…
- Nighthawk and Wilkes have a by the numbers match that is the clear weak link of the card. Nighthawk is not at his best as a singles wrestler as his team with Legend gives both of them quite sizable boosts. Nighthawk’s stock has dropped a lot this year as he is not really that central of a babyface figure anymore.
- It’s not all doom and gloom (in our BEST SHOW EVER). Both of The Dudes segments are really good, considering Massacre and Jesse drag those down a little bit. The Pinn/Mason segment is likewise quite excellent, hitting those green numbers off the bat. The Apocalypse continue to deliver on a high level with another 60+ tag match. I’m starting to expect more from my wrestlers in a way shorter timeframe than before, but don’t let that fool you. APW is doing better than ever.

The man is not wrong, I SHOULD be using one of my better entertainers on the mic more often. Thankfully someone has positive takes about their co-workers, GERARD.

Macquarie doesn’t have the best of luck as he gets injured in the pre-show. It’s thankfully a relatively minor injury, so he could work through it for the rest of the year. I might just rest him, as he would be healed just around the time his tag partner Dizzy G might be making his own in-ring return.

Well what do you know, water IS wet!

But now, poll time~

Do we (try) to save DIW?

The relationship with our dear competitors isn’t… the best (it’s still a one way war), but I would really hate to see another company go down in flames. It looks like DIW would be able to claw their way out of this financial hole (their WrestleWorld deal is finally paying off and the company is making money for the first time in at least a year), but the debtors might not allow them to live for that long.

But I have the option to offer an olive branch. One thing that warring promotions can do in negotiations (besides trying to end the hostilities) is to offer the opposite side a cash boost. I have the money to spare so why not? There is still the possibility that they outright refuse (our owners have Hatred towards each other, so my owner might block it as well. I could also just do this in the editor, but this is the non-cheaty way).

So, do we give DIW enough money to save themselves?

A) Yes, it’s always good to have competition!

B) No, they’ve dug their own grave!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Lets go with A

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Hmm. I know you can't meddle with their owner because he's not going to be on your shows, but is there a way to try to patch things up between our owner and theirs through the talk to worker screen? I don't actually know.

I wouldn't use the editor. I would say float them the money if there's will, but if neither side wants it, these things happen.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
B. They've been too busy trying to gently caress with other people's poo poo so I think they can be let to stew in their own poo poo.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

I would say try A, but if your owner blocks the in game way just leave it up to the fates rather than use the editor.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

A) Yes, it’s always good to have competition!

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven
Episode 43: Triumph and Tragedy

30 000 dollars isn’t that much for me, but it is about life or death for DIW. To the surprise of everyone, DIW doesn’t try to set this lifeline on fire, but accepts the check. Maybe this will be the beginning of a beautiful friendship? Maybe?

Lads, c’mon. (Forbes, as usual, doesn’t even respond to DIW)

It’s not a drama free month for DIW, despite their newfound financial stability. Our cash boost manage don’t seem to reach the talent, as Blitz Simpson starts shooting a few weeks later about missing payments and attitude issues. AGAIN.

EILL starts a media blitz probably hyping up their last big show of the year. Lau, Axxis Jr and Pharaoh King do a good job representing their company and wrestling as a whole in their brief appearances. To my knowledge, this is purely a flavor story so it shouldn’t affect the company itself. Also, I’ve yet to see anyone do a bad job in these media appearances. There’s no choking out talk show hosts or brazingly lying about your steroid use on a live show. Nor is there an interview where the promoter of the show spends the interview mostly promoting himself while a large muscle bound wrestler jiggles in the background of every shot.

A former EILL star probably wishes he was home during all this. Gino Montero broke his leg and is out for six months. With his talent the big push in SWF should have only been a matter of time. After all, his contemporary Velocidad has climbed his way up to the midcard.

Tag tournaments are the name of the game this month as 5SSW and PGHW are both running their contests. 5SSW Tag Grand Prix ends with Desperate Measures (Paige Croft and Machiko Matsuda) surviving the gauntlet. PGHW also goes for brand new winners as Avalanche Takano fills out his trophy cabinet with a Elite Tag Series win to add to his Elite Series win earlier in the year. Tsurayuki Kamachi is happy to tag along for the biggest win of his career. Takano is getting all the chances to become the next top dog, his skills look up to par, now it’s just up to him to rise to the level that is expected of a true PGHW generational warrior.

First show of the month looks like this. Anti-Polar Vortex go against Goliath Goons but shockingly come out on the losing side. Positive Energy keeps the energy going as they defeat the Team Forbes duo seemingly in a bit of a downswing. The party doesn’t last long, as Maniac Monster breaks through an army of security to get to the ring, throwing around everyone he can get his hands on. Simonson teams with Keenan, Laine and SHADOW LEGENDS to take on Devil and the Lucketti quartet, coming out victorious.

Simonson throws down the challenge for the next show in his adrenaline high. He’ll be triumphant for one last time or go down swinging. Canadian exports Stone and Beau can’t get anything going against the top Enterprises pairing, even if Beau’s flow almost manages to fool Pinn to a countout loss. Animal Kingdom implodes some more as Devine and Shark face off against the unlikely pairing of Gilbert and Wasp. Battle lines have been drawn, as Devine and Gilbert can’t stand each other, all the while Shark and Wasp just kind of try to wrestle a normal match. And when Shark just gets to wrestle, there’s not that many guys better than him. Wasp fights, but can’t overcome the veteran. Overconfident Goliath gives The Dudes the ultimatum. One of them must defeat Hamstead right here and right now. If they lose, they’ll never challenge again. Lucas takes up the challenge without hesitation. With Jesse playing defense on the outside against the other three Global members, Lucas fights with all his heart and soul and manages to prevail after a massive slam off the top rope. Main event is yet another trios match, pitting Mills, Mason and Wayne against the somewhat unlikely alliance of Gerard and The Apocalypse. The match is fierce, even if Gerard mostly taunts Mills from far enough distance. Mason ends up as the difference maker, putting away Hatemonger as the rest of the crew are too busy brawling.

- David Stone is cursed as he nets ANOTHER zero chemistry partner in Skip Beau. I should’ve just hired his proven tag partner at the same time…
- Main event exceeds expectations. Sure, there are four of my top guys, but I imagined Mason and Hatemonger would drag things back a bit. Well, they dragged it back enough to just be our second best match of all time.
- Hamstead and Lucas have a banger of a match, despite Hamstead not being at his best. Lucas is at the cusp of main event both popularity and performance wise. When Mills/Wayne/Gilbert get cycled down from the top tier babyface slots, Lucas is more than ready to step up.
- Monster/Energy story keeps on delivering. It shouldn’t be a surprise as Chuck, Oliverio and even Monster are all quite good on the mic, so even asey doesn’t drag things down too much. The matches will probably be just ok at most, but it’s a midcard story anyway, so that’s all I can ask.
- I love Simonson too much to really criticize him for the low rated angles. I’m not doing him any favors, being the only mic worker in the Devil feud (Stone got yeeted out after the bad chemistry, whoops) so the angles don’t work quite as well as the matches do.

TCW keeps making smart moves to inject some more fire into their midcard. Storm Spillane and American Flash are the latest independent standouts to join the crew. TCW has almost every west coast star from the start of the save in their ranks already. Losing Spillane is another big loss to GSW, who’ve barely got over losing Fro Sure to SWF.

Flash was actually the reigning COTT champion so the alliance immediately strips him off the title. The new champion is crowned in NYCW as another masked man in Acid II becomes the new face of the franchise. Every alliance member has lost a lot of talent in the past few years, but I would have imagined that there would have been better choices than Acid. The guy is good, but not even the best guy in his home promotion PSW and that says something.

The weird thing is that COTT didn’t have to take the belt off him immediately as he had all the chances to drop it off legitimately, as demonstrated by Flash dropping his IPW Championship to… ancient, slow and bad brawler Charlie Thatcher. Wow. He is popular by IPW standards but god awful in every other facet of professional wrestling (except for Menace).

While IPW does… things, GSW continues to bolster their roster with solid, if unspectacular high flyers from the CZCW undercard. Malik Cash and Jay Becker form the Inner City Express, a duo that cut their teeth in ACPW and never really became anything but flashy midcard guys. Swipe Romero is one of the Coastal Resort trainees still in the infancy of their careers and seemingly miles behind the stars of the past, so a chance of scenery might do wonders for the guy.

CZCW and QAW go for a bit of a talent swap as Juliet Balconi heads to QAW and Danielle Sweetheart ventures to the coast. Sweetheart is the ace of QAW and has achieved everything there is to achieve in her home promotion, so CZCW might just gain a valueable piece for their growing roster. Balconi herself is still a project but QAW is loaded with talent for her to learn from.

Sparky Sparks leaves ZEN, leaving the company without a lead announcer. Referees, road agents and announcers work with the same logic as their wrestler counterparts. If they work at the same place for long without any remarkable forward momentum (which they are unable to gain), they will likely leave for a bit. We had this happen with Richie Fox back in the day, but it is a bit silly with non-wrestlers.

Meanwhile in Japan we find out the reason that Motty Kuroda is playing politics like there’s no tomorrow. I guess being excluded from the tag tournament irritated him enough to make sure it wouldn’t happen again. (While the stories of someone starting backstage politics is fairly common, I’m not sure it actually affects their push in a positive or negative way, so it’s another fun flavor story.)

Speaking of fun flavor, Running Wolf declares himself the biggest star in USPW. Mate, the reason why you’re not main eventing is a) you’ve looked like you’re 50 years old for your entire career b) Nicky Champion is already a better version of you and c) you are not THAT good!

White Wasp forgets to shake another man’s hand and is punished accordingly. Yes, shaking every worker’s hand is a tradition in some locker rooms, even if everyone already knows each other.

Second show of the month is loaded with big matches. After a quick Wayne promo about his main event with Warmonger, Gilbert and Devine are unleashed against each other. It’s an even battle, but in the end youth prevails as Gilbert gets the pinfall and the somewhat reluctant handshake afterwards. Devil defends his title against Simonson and just brutally demolishes Simonson from the bell. Simonson is beaten to a bloody pulp and the referee has to stop the match. Devil continues the attack but Simonson is saved by Keenan and Laine. Vortex gets Massacre one on one after the last show and this time gets the win by outpacing the big man. Four way tag team match between R & R, Wilkes & Lydecker, SHADOW LEGENDS and Lucketti & D-Pod acts as a de facto number one contender’s match. Lucketti manages to steal the pin in the end, much to the dismay of his opponents and allies. David Stone tags along with Positive Energy against Pinn Enterprises and falls once again. Chuck and Kasey can’t really help, as Maniac Monster once again assaults the duo. Mason’s match is next, but not before Pinn gives him another offer. Mason looks like he needs to think about it, but still pulls off his part in the match itself, defeating Cobra. Mark Griffin gets a big showcase against the champ, but comes out short. Mills wants Gerard’s head on a stake, but the former champ is “regretful” for losing his cool last month and he doesn’t “deserve” another shot so soon. Mills is ready any day, but Gerard says he’s still a bit sore after a grueling schedule, so the rematch is set for January and for OzFest.

Tag titles are on the line as Surfer Dudes with Attitudes finally get their two on two match against the reigning champions. The big men control the match but the surfers’ fire can’t be put out that easily. Jesse throws the biggest suplex of his life to take out Tate, Goliath’s interference is first thwarted by a right hand by Lucas and later by a helpful Vortex smoke Bomb and Massacre gets taken down by a double team from the Dudes and a Black Flash flying in from nowhere. Hamstead fights alone and decimates Jesse, but Lucas will not die. It takes a heroic effort, but Hamstead gets beaten twice in a row for the first time in his APW career (maybe)! New champs celebrate their first title wins in APW. Main event has Wayne fight Warmonger with emotions running wild from the very start. The “match” barely resembles a wrestling match as each man resorts to just throwing hands and occasionally using one of their calling cards. The crowd is hot for the resolution but is shocked as Wayne’s body starts to fall apart on one of his signature moves. War capitalizes, hitting three Spine Shatterers in a row and defeating the fading star in a convincing fashion.

Best show ever for the third month running! It's a great night everytime you get 5+ matches rated 60 or higher with some great angles

- Wayne/Warmonger II overtakes Gilbert/Cobra as our greatest match ever! Our first main event to hit the green range as well. Wayne didn’t even complain about putting over Warmonger which is great. I will have to start considering War as our number one heel, outperforming Wayne in this match as well. I was thinking about just going with Wayne, but I think I need a strong heel for next year.
- Dudes/Global is great… but maybe I wanted just that bit more. Great match nevertheless, considering that Jesse is still pretty green. Lucas can carry a feud against pretty much everyone, but they have a great row of challengers lined up from Pinn Enterprises to Apocalypse to Samoan Demolition to Team Forbes and beyond. Hamstead and Tate had a good run, but I felt it was time for the Dudes to get the big win. Goliath Global is an easy stable to heat up again, and Hamstead would once again be a fresher face in the main event picture.
- Gilbert/Devine should have been better, but Gilbert’s losses have hurt him a bit. While he is still our best guy by quite a margin, he might not drag lower card wrestlers to great matches by a flick of the wrist anymore. Still, I have high hopes for the upcoming Boon match.
- Griffin’s match against Mills is good, but it can be even better once Griffin gets over. The angle that follows continues the great streak with Gerard and Mills. Gerard is not one of my better mic workers, but he can hold his own in a main event angle as he has shown over the years. I’m still pleasantly surprised that I’m seeing green with him, even if I shouldn’t be surprised as the weaker mic guy in Boon did pretty much the same with Mills.

A triumphant show in all aspects… or it would have been without one LITTLE incident.

Well gently caress.

I have no idea why all my injuries happen in the pre-show. I guess it might be because the workers stranded there are still developing and might have low safety… So…

GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER, GET OVER HERE.

I don’t care if you have potential. Smoking habit kills your stamina, attitude issues killed your trip in Japan and BREAKING ANOTHER GUY’S NECK kills any trust I had for you.

AND YOU’RE ANNOYED THAT YOU ARE GETTING BLAMED FOR THE INJURY?

Yeah, you are finished. Done. Kaput. Outta here.

Congratulations, it takes a lot for me to hit that “Release Worker” button but you have managed to do even that. See you in DIW, rear end in a top hat.

At least Nameth is happy, even if his career might just be done. Can’t help but feel bad for the guy. He was coming along slowly but surely and then this hit. We might have just lost a future top heel and that sucks. There’s no option for a surgery, so I guess we’ll have to wait for the next year and see what happens with him.

At least Wayne comes up with a new catchphrase? Yey? (As a reminder, gives him a small bonus for his entertainment skills in angles).

Doomsday clock hits midnight for SWF. Rocky Golden’s mammoth deal is up for renewal. Golden is still one of the bigger stars in the world, despite slowing down during the past few years. He is pretty much the last big SWF from the start of the save that hasn’t jumped to USPW, so losing him would still be a big blow to them.

TCW is really establishing King of Kings as a stepping stone for upper midcarders. Chris Flynn nets the biggest win of his career by winning the one night tournament. Last year’s winner got a few title matches out of the tournament win, so I’m guessing TCW will be going with some Flynn main events for a while. On the same show, Greg Gauge once again drops the tag titles, this time to Sterling Whitlock and Scout. Maybe this time TCW will give him The Big Push?

Another women’s wrestling company opens up in Japan. WINNOW is a more traditional joshi company, following in the 5SSW footsteps rather than going all in on the other direction like WQ2020. The owner, Saeko Hiroyuki was one of the few wrestlers that could break the Magic Three’s stranglehold of the 5SSW World title. She retired and left the company under unknown reasons back in 2007 and is now back after 15 years to bring in another boom period for women’s wrestling. I’ll be keeping an eye out for them as far as their initial roster shapes up as in the next update. Fuyugo Higa might actually find a place to become a champion after all.

Next time: Wrapping up year three, followed by end of year awards and roster review

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Well, that if any is a good on-the-spot firing reason.

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven
Just in case if anyone was wondering, I'm still alive and I'd like to think the LP is as well. Kind of dealing with a bigger writer's block than usual, as I've had a hard time writing really anything lately.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

BTF posted:

Just in case if anyone was wondering, I'm still alive and I'd like to think the LP is as well. Kind of dealing with a bigger writer's block than usual, as I've had a hard time writing really anything lately.

Thats fine, I am awaiting your future posts.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

Agreed, take your time!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

it's such a treat when it comes that it makes the wait worth it :peanut:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I let the AI book most of my shows, or at least, set up either the framework or the filling for me, and I still go through this game much slower than you have been while running an LP about it, no less. (Running an LP also being a thing I have done) So I know that, yeah, it's actually a ton of work on both ends.

So... take your time.