Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

B

Always gotta be wary about trying to match the big boys with contracts, you can probably afford a handful of people under contract but it really starts adding up. If RAW makes an offer for someone that you can do without then try and drive up the price and see if you can slip a poison pill in there for them to match.

edit: I wish that someone told me that the Women's Revolution mod turns Steve Flash into a notorious manwhore.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Mar 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

B

Legend we keep, The Fox mask? he disappears as mysteriously as he appeared.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
B, Roster is big enough as is. What's the independent wrestler situation in 'Straya at the moment?

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

B He's not vital enough to justify the cost

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

B. He’s a fine worker, but we just can’t afford that kind of expense for someone who’s not integral.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

B is for bandwagon

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
It's tempting to keep telling RAW to go away and stop signing our guys, but it might get pricy eventually. B

Armitage fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 15, 2022

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven
Episode 34: Farewell to Fox

RAW can have Fox but I do throw in a counter offer or two to raise the contract a bit. In the end, Fox ends up earning a little bit over 9000 dollars a month for the next 3 years. Not a bad deal. He signs on the first day of February so we once again have two shows to say goodbye. Possum probably cries a bit, as this once again leaves him without a tag partner and a near guaranteed tag title run. Fox himself opens his run by losing to the second biggest star in RAW, Maurice Jackson and proceeds to not get booked for the rest of the month. (Meanwhile, Scorpio has lost six out of seven matches after his return).

DIW, please. The adults are talking. (Both members of The Apocalypse reject the offers outright. And yes, I still get DIW offers on a monthly basis).

Last day of January ends up being one of the bigger news days yet. WrestleWorld expands all the way to Japan, giving the companies there another outlet. It’s not as big of a deal in Japan compared to Oceania or Europe as every Japanese company already has a deal in place for their events. CommPlanet is a new internet subscription service with Big coverage in every area in the world, a straight competitor for the CVerse version of Netflix (and USPW backer) Reverie. CommPlanet won’t be relevant for APW in years (or decades) as the service only accepts Large wrestling promotions with maxed out production values. But if someone wants to challenge USPW in worldwide coverage, CommPlanet would probably be the way to go.

MAW jumps to Small size of the back of a successful Rip Chord Invitational tournament, with “The Kiwi Crusher” Sione Tokoeka winning the prestigious trophy. Tokoeka has now won both of the MAW tournaments (Sam Keith Classic for tag teams in 2021 and now the RCI) in addition to a almost 18 month COTT tag title reign. This is the first save I’ve seen where Tokoeka shows any kind of potential, so it’s interesting to see where he ends up.

With Joshua Taylor heading to USPW, TCW finally goes to The Guy. Wrestler of the Year Aaron Andrews finally starts another reign as the TCW World champion, around two years after he lost the belt at the start of this save. Now we’ll see if TCW just goes the 21CW route and spams Andrews/Hawkins for the title through the year. The two main event the PPV in February, ending up with a “disappointing” 98 rating.

And then, hell freezes over. No, I’m not talking about the SWF PPV of the same name.

After exactly two years, Curtis Jenkins has been dethroned. Padraig O’Hearne has risen to be one of the best wrestlers CWW has to offer and the win is very much earned. His first defense in the next show immediately becomes the best CWW match thus far. The honor for the longest active title reign now falls to… sigh, the Mr Lucha/Critico/Silver Tiger OLLIE trios title reign, still going strong 618 days and one defense in.

Moving on from that newsbomb, Surfer Dude Lucas gets some positive buzz. YEPW kind of realize after five shows that Lucas is very much the best in-ring guy they have and make the shocking call of maybe pushing him. Maybe a day later he gets talked up by some unnamed veterans on a radio show. I’d imagine it’s just Lanny and DDP calling in under aliases. Still, as I’ve often stated, Lucas is the future of APW or the future of RAW pre-shows, whichever happens first.

The backstage is simply buzzing as we’ve been on a streak of good shows. At Die Another Day, Chuck lets it rip with some 80s power-ballads and steals the show.

Massacre, clearly having avoided the power-ballads by skipping a previous night-out gets punished at the Wrestler’s Court.

Jesse, clearly puzzled by the magic instrument being used to amp up Chuck’s voice, gets further lessons about microphone work from good old Harry Simonson. (I’m really hoping Wayne and/or Gilbert take proteges under their wing as both have the Passes on Knowledge trait, as does Peverell.)

Anywho, here’s a card.

Having finally beaten Pinn, Gerard gets some time to talk about his title aspirations. He gets interrupted by Gilbert, who pretty much has the same goal. It’s a pretty civil discussion, although it is quite apparent that Gerard is not the biggest fan of Gilbert coming in and stealing his thunder. The two do have a tag match against Next Level, getting a solid win. Keenan & Laine get a win over L & L as well, using Lucketti’s obsession with selfies to take him out. Maniac Monster rampages in and starts beating up ringside workers (photographers, ringside attendees, whatever unnamed dudes you have hanging around a ring) but a sudden smoke bomb allows the workers to flee. Maniac goes after the culprit, Vortex, who himself vanishes with a puff of smoke. Team Forbes take out the Japanese trio led by Azumi quite easily. Goliath Global defends their newly won titles in a three way tag match against Positive Energy and SHADOW LEGENDS. With Energy focusing too much on Legend, it allows Hamstead to score the win. Afterwards Massacre joins the party and the three monsters beat down both challengers as Goliath mocks Legend for ever believing he’d want him in his stable and the rest for buying his mind games. Brisbane Devil makes another defense of the Australian title as Macquarie falls after a tough battle. The Devil is still looking quite unstoppable. Mason and Mills join forces yet again to take on the Enterprises duo of Mattell and Boon. Boon grabs a handful of tights and manages to pin Mason for a bit of a shock win. Boon grabs a mic and challenges Mills for a third and final match next show, this time for the Commonwealth gold. Warmonger and El Hijo Del Fox Mask once again get the main event and this time there is no survival for the masked hero. War takes the near dominant victory, nailing the Spine Shatterer for the three count.

Well, well, well, another 61! The flow is still very much real.

- I’m extremely delighted to see green on those ratings, this time from The Duo promo segment. And yes, there’s no help from Pinn in that angle! Mills and Boon are fire together on the mic with the feud finally really (maybe) finding its logical ending point at the next show. Don’t think I forgot that preceding match. Mason and Mattell were good, but Mills and Boon really stole the show there, making it our best non-Gilbert match yet.
- Yes, it’s another War/EHDFM main event that doesn’t quite reach the match before it. I’m not too disappointed, 60 is still a great rating. War is now ready to go for a title program against Mills. It is not yet the farewell for Fox, as unlike Scorpio he gets to lose TWICE on his way out.
- Devil and Macquarie deliver in a big way in their title match. Devil could very well main event shows with these kind of matches. When/if Wayne and Gilbert leave later in the year, Devil is at the top of the list to send them on their way with a big win.
- I’m starting a slow build to a Gerard turn here. I’ve always been a bit gun shy with turning people in general, but Gerard flipping should offer a bunch of fresh matches all around the card. The APW roster has A LOT of guys who are simply better at playing the other role, so I’ve let them stay in their preferred roles. A few heels should probably be turned as well.

We get a bunch of post-show comments this time. Chuck is really high on Hosotani for some reason. Yes, he is charismatic but as stated he is very raw in the ring. Also, he and his partner are heading back to Japan in around a month’s time.

Kerry Wayne notices that Oliverio hasn’t really been used in his best role, on the mic, so he suggests that he should get more time on the main shows. Thankfully the game reminds me of my mistakes from time to time.

God dammit Christopher, I don’t care if Wasp doesn’t lift two tons of steel from the bench, eat jet fuel for breakfast or beat everyone at arm wrestling! The kid is harmless and a better seller than you’ll ever be. Geez, dude.

In the monthly America watch USPW grabs another (former) World champion to the roster. If they can’t get Tommy, they’ll have to settle for another Cornell instead! Losing Edward will be rough for 21CW but I think they'll handle it pretty well. Edward nets himself almost 200 000 dollars a month to languish in the midcard and make sure he won’t three-peat a spot at the top ten of Power 500.

TCW let’s go off some of their older dead weight. Harry Allen just dropped the TV title to Sterling Whitlock and is swiftly shown the door. American Machine spent most of his two year run in the midcard, being very much not impressive. TCW is really in need of a youth movement, as they have only three wrestlers under 30 on the main roster.

EILL ends up with a strange bedfellow as their next developmental partner. I wouldn’t really describe PSW as a “forgiving” environment. (PSW has a demanding crowd as a part of their product and will relentlessly mock workers that don’t belong, usually wrestlers with really low basics, for example).

An interesting development from Japan. Pretty Okakura was one of the bigger stars of EX2010 and surely now the hottest free agent in the country. I don’t want to go scouting all over the globe for reinforcements (CWA status: still alive after January), but Okakura has some tremendous entertainment stats, along with crazy good psychology and technical skills. If no one grabs him, well… I’ll just have to make some call-

*ring ring*

Hello?

R & R did WHAT?

Out of nowhere, WLW decide to stop accepting workers from us to make their excursion. I’d have to assume that this is mostly due to the company rising to Medium and not for R & R still being completely unremarkable in the ring. Their excursion isn’t cut short by the deal ending, the two will stay there for four more months. The deal falling through is not their fault… probably. Funnily enough, WLW have no problem sending US their wrestlers! What happened to the two way street?

I still have decent enough relations with other Japanese companies, so I throw in an offer to SAISHO to take in our workers. They accept, so when R & R come back I’ll probably send another two guys overseas.

SAISHO also gets hit with a rotten luck, as one half of their ace tag team Fujio Narahashi goes out with a broken neck.

Then WLW immediately fall back to Small. I’d call it karma.

MAW celebrate their rise by getting a weekly TV show, which will hopefully help them develop their quite awful crop of rookies. One of their better rookies (and Sam Keith Classic winner) Garry the Entertainer immediately goes on a massive rant and is on his way out… please don’t pay any attention to the all-time awful render with the spooky hand-puppet(?) chimp.

Second show of the month can’t arrive soon enough. Big Night Out has the roster as rowdy as ever, with Maniac Monster of all people ribbing the locker room.

Harding is still projecting his less than a stellar status in the company by littering. Pinn is quick to set him straight.

“Dude, this thing amplifies my voice, bro?”

“Yes Jesse, it’s called a microphone.”

We end up with a card like this. SubUrban Legend opens the show with a passionate promo on how Goliath tried to play him and turn his friends against him. Now that the mask is off, it’s time to seek retribution and SHADOW LEGENDS plan to dethrone Goliath goons soon enough. The plan doesn’t start that well as Reggie Tate gets a big win over Nighthawk in the opening match. El Hijo Del Fox Mask shows up battered and bruised after his war with Warmonger and ends up losing his last match to Christian Blithe, afterwards sulking backstage and is never seen again. Oliverio approaches Vortex and warns him about the unhinged power of Maniac Monster. Vortex probably doesn’t take the scared Oliverio too seriously… yet. Gerard joins forces with Anti-Polar Vortex and come out on top against the Japanese trio. A big ten man tag match follows with Positive Energy (not so positive after the Goliath beatdown) and Samoan Demolition (very positive after Devil retained his belt) joining along for the ride in the Wayne/D-Pod story. The faces, naturally, win. Gilbert comes out for an interview but gets jumped out of nowhere by the Enterprises crew not scheduled for any of the other matches. Animal Kingdom run out for a save, but get defeated in the following impromptu tag as Peverell’s left hook demolishes White Wasp. Tyrant is a happy man as he batters Samurai Boy and Yozo Ishigami, forcing Azumi to make a save. Tyrant just smiles as Azumi is determined to get the big man one on one. He has to settle for a trios match alongside the Dudes with Lucas proving to be the difference maker. Mason and Mattell clash and Mason sneaks in a submission win in just under ten minutes. Main event is once again a big one as the former tag partners meet for the third time, now with the Commonwealth championship on the line. A straight wrestling match is even until the very last moments. Boon has no one to help him at ringside and Mills gets the decisive win with a nasty Northern Lights Bomb. Mills slaps the hand of the unconscious Boon on the way out, leaving his friend turned nemesis all alone in the ring to end the show.

Home run after home run, as Big Night Out is tied as our best show to date. I can do better, as I’ve yet to really put Wayne and Gilbert in big main event matches.

- After their two previous singles offerings, that were great but slightly disappointing (scoring 56 and 57) I am very much thrilled that the third encounter finally lives up to the hype. It’s a banger of a main event, nearly our best match to date (thanks Gilbert). This is despite the two not really clicking in the ring. Don’t get me wrong, they don’t have a negative chemistry note (wouldn’t have run the match three times if that was the case), but there’s always something that is just a little bit off. Even here, Mills was just slightly off his game. Anyways, a great match to end the rivalry… for now. Enterprises get cycled down a bit, like Goliath Global before them, and Mills is facing fresh old enemies.
- As a part of the “top babyfaces vs Enterprises” I also had the opportunity to run back the Mason/Mattell rivalry from the start of the save. Back then, the blowoff match scored a then impressive 44, now improving to a near 60. It’s always good to see clear growth from year to year.
- El Hijo Del Fox Mask, or just Richie Fox, departs by putting over Christian Blithe. Blithe is a guy I still have high hopes for but has struggled to get over. Hopefully a big win here will help him in the future. Losing Fox isn’t the end of the world as I have a bunch of guys ready to step up to his spot, but Animal Kingdom as a whole is the biggest loser. I’m putting Gilbert in the group for now, but that won’t be a lasting alliance. Without a designated good mic worker, the group will falter and quickly. Case in point, the four remaining members do drag the Gilbert segment down quite a bit, even if it is still good.
- Oliverio and Vortex have quite an impressive segment by themselves. The Monster/Vortex angle was great as well, but I’m really happy with this as well. As Wayne reminded everyone after the last show, Oliverio is a pretty good mic worker. He likely won’t break out of the lower card (Monster is the star of the pair), I’m happy to have a reliable entertainer in that position.

Blithe responds to the biggest win of his career by… trying to politic more wins with backstage dealings. Kid, don’t let it get to your head.

A quick look at our merchandise movers at the end of February. Gilbert and Wayne are predictably raking in cash and Mills is amounting a bit as well, but SubUrban Legend has surprisingly jumped in as well. Losing a tag title match apparently propelled him to Star status which qualifies him to our merch list. It’s not much, but this is him being our least popular Star. When he becomes even more popular, he’ll surely start moving t-shirts like no one else. What puzzles me, is that Mason is more popular across the board and has the same trait (Easily Marketable) and hasn't sold anything yet. Our merchandising will be leveling up to level six in around three months, so we’ll see how things look by then.

Next time: Warmonger enters the title hunt! Azumi and Next Level wrap up their APW careers for now! Hopefully no RAW related precision raids!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

How much are wayne and Gil costing us each month?

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
So what do you think R & R did to piss those guys off?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Could a potential solution to the Animal Kingdom problem be signing a manager? Scour the globe for people fluent in English with at least high microphone, any other good skills are a bonus.

Then have them individually manage every member of the Kingdom before different shows, to see if any of them have natural chemistry. You might just elevate someone who couldn't make the jump on their own into an act.

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven

AtomikKrab posted:

How much are wayne and Gil costing us each month?

Wayne gets around 2600 per appearance and Gilbert gets 3000 per appearance. So Gilbert's merch sales just about cover his salary and Wayne is pretty close as well. When the merchandise department levels up, their merch numbers should get an uptick as well.

Triple A posted:

So what do you think R & R did to piss those guys off?

:shrug:

Triple A posted:

What's the independent wrestler situation in 'Straya at the moment?

If I categorize independent wrestler as anyone not employed in of the five companies, then not that good! Bunch of green workers, awful veterans and some ZEN/DIW castoffs waiting for a call back. There's some project guys I might pick up at some point, but there isn't any Lucas-esque gems lying around.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Could a potential solution to the Animal Kingdom problem be signing a manager? Scour the globe for people fluent in English with at least high microphone, any other good skills are a bonus.

Alex Arturro Experience should be a good enough talker to slap in there to help them along a bit. Experience's problem is his still quite low popularity, but that should come along with getting actually featured. Worldwide scouting would probably be a good call as well (comedy option: probably highly expensive Emma Chase).

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

What about if Hack the Hunter rolled with Pookie Possum?

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven

Testekill posted:

What about if Hack the Hunter rolled with Pookie Possum?

I have Hack shortlisted, but the big man is looking very, very green but good looking charisma and good star quality. Unfortunately he is a Powerhouse so hiring him would go against one of my smaller owner goals and no, he doesn't want to change his style for some reason.

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven
Status report: I'm not dead nor is the LP.

Another writing project, busy weeks at work, a bit of a flu and other usual excuses have kept me away from TEW, but hopefully I'll get an update done this week!

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven
Episode 35: Keep rolling etc.

I officially start the Gerard turn. I have been really conservative with my turns (this would be… third in this save) and it’s a part of the creative process that I tend to struggle with. Gerard is really an optimal guy to turn as one of the few guys in the roster that doesn’t have a preference over either side. A lot of the guys that I FEEL would have some juice on the other side of the fence tend to have the 100% Face or Heel attribute.

I’d write something about the definition of insanity here, but that particular quote is getting a bit tired. Please ignore every other tired trope, cliche and old meme that I manage to fit in these updates. Anyways, Helmar has probably his best match to date, but I can’t see this reign being that much more successful than the first.

SWF makes the interesting move of… not offering extensions for former RIPW standout Deever Arnold or monster of the month Avalanche? Arnold was always doomed to fail as a good but not great in-ring worker without the charisma to really be anything in an entertainment heavy company. Despite his flaws, Arnold is a big example about the SWF’s inability to use their development workers. They call a guy up, give them a year of pre-show jobs and let him go. This happens in every save and in every edition I’ve played.

Avalanche actually looks like a surprisingly decent brawler with good psychology and great menace. He was never going to become a massive star with SWF, but I’m sure NYCW or PSW would love a monster like him. Well, at least they didn’t lose any major pieces this time!

(This is in no way foreshadowing the absolute bloodbath SWF is about to go through).

When all else fails, go for the nostalgia acts. Just ask Pro Wrestling NOAH.

Enough of that, we have a show in our hands. Warmonger starts the show by aggressively demanding a title match against old rival Mills. Without his tag partner, he would be easy picking for War and Hate, but Gerard offers some help, setting up a tag team match in the main event, playa. Azumi finally goes one on one against Tyrant and it’s not pretty. Tyrant simply mauls the poor man. After a few hope spots, Azumi’s fire is extinguished as the ref has to stop the match to put an end to the beating. Keenan and Laine get another win over the soon departing Next Level and their pal Wayne gets a win over Lydecker. Trios action follows as Pinn Enterprises (Boon, Peverell & Cobra) get a big win over Vortex and Positive Energy. It’s naturally not a clean one, as both Maniac Monster and Samoan Demolition attack the face side during the match. Legend runs in after the match to drive away the samoans and in the process makes amends with Chuck and Kasey. Macquarie and LEGENDS have a match against Goliath Global, but the champs prove to be just too good. A quick segment sees Macquarie run into Boon and strike up a quick conversation, about how they are pretty similar: two dudes left in the dust by their tag partners. Macquarie has accepted his partner’s success, but Boon looks very salty that he gets compared to a “scrub” like Macquarie. Second to last match has Gilbert once again join forces with Animal Kingdom, this time in a winning effort against Pinn Enterprises. Main event is once again a massive, indecisive brawl as Mills and Gerard once again join forces. It’s not all rainbows and sunshine as Gerard gets real handsy with “his” championship belt.

- Another great main event, not a giant surprise considering who was in the match. When Gerard completes his heel turn and when Wayne/Gilbert leave, the face side of the main event scene is looking pretty different compared to when we started.
- I am yet again shocked at how well the segment between Boon and Macquarie did. Macquarie is a solid mic worker but even after the great angle Boon pulled with Mills I didn’t see him doing this well!
- Wayne and Gilbert continue being giant helps in the match ratings. Their time in bigger angles and matches will come, but I’m glad if they can boost the midcard up a bit before doing so.
- Keenan, Laine and Peverell are coming along very nicely. Their popularity is still lacking but their performances are creeping up at a decent pace. The three should be considered in the upper echelon of the roster by the end of the year. Cobra is the one being left behind, but he’s also the one getting the least focus.
- Azumi was pretty much written off with this loss to Tyrant. He had his best match and performance to cap off his run with us. He and Next Level still have two appearances left, but those will be on the pre-show and spent losing to guys who need the momentum and the popularity. I’ll be interested to see how the trio do back home in WLW… as I dread which of the very green WLW students head to Australia next.

I think I’ve showcased this before, but this time one of our wrestlers got this boost! SubUrban Legend came up with a new catchphrase that immediately caught on like wildfire (“Samoan Demolition, your names will soon be written in the The Book of Legend” or something, I’m not a writer or a promo artist). This gives him a boost for his entertainment stats for a while. So he’ll be even better for a short while.

Peverell and Laine have apparently heard nothing from any US based companies (shame on them) so both decide to uproot their lives and head over to sunny Australia. It’s a net positive for us, as their travel costs go down notably since I don’t have to fly them over a massive ocean.

VWA and DIW both extend their broadcasting deals with their respective WrestleWorlds and CZCW inks themselves a new deal with OnDem, the very imaginatively named streaming service. AI companies tend to make shorter deals with broadcasters, in this case the original deals were only for a year. I think my deal with WrestleWorld was two years and a change, so our renewal isn't up for a while. I’m also hoping I can jump to another broadcaster at that point, as we’ve hopefully grown to medium at that point and hopefully still making money.

DIW isn’t done as they also grow in size to Small. As much as I tend to rag on the group, they’re still doing very much well enough to grow. Sure, they are still losing money and they are very much reliant on one guy staying healthy, but at least they aren’t pissing off RAW?

Let me take back that previous statement. RAW becomes hostile towards DIW a few days after they hit Small. Hostility has no direct gameplay effects, it's just makes it more likely to start a war. And I thought that DIW had declared war on RAW years ago (they have) and just now they decide to get all pissed off about it?

WLW also end up popping back up to Medium, this time without terminating our excursion agreement.

YEPW once again create a team from APW wrestlers, this time with Lothar Prellinger and White Wasp. Not a team I’m going to be using anytime soon, but worth keeping in mind just in case.

Everybody loves BEEF.

No one loves another source of protein. Milk hasn't been hired to work anywhere since the start of the save. It's a shame, as he hasn't even hit time decline quite yet.

Big title changes happen around the world. Mikey Lau has really caught fire in EILL and wins their world title. His changed career trajectory has really worked out for him. With him on top I have no doubt that EILL is once again a strong challenger for the company of the year award. A bit up north Remo ends up becoming the USPW World champion over another SWF alumni Steve Frehley. It’s a good match, but very much a rehash of their SWF stuff some seven-eight years previously.

In Japan another one of the long title reigns thus far comes to an end as Hiroaki Nakasawa drops the BHOTWG Heavyweight championship to the man he won it from, Kinnojo Horri. The emperors of Japan clearly are content with their juniors running the show, as Horri is another example of an older heavyweight closing in on the end of his peak. Meanwhile at PGHW a surprise winner conquers the ELITE Series as Avalanche Takano grabs the prestigious trophy for the first time in his career. This is the first time I’ve seen PGHW hand the prize to someone under 30 years old. His impressive tag run over at SAISHO is clearly turning heads.

Mills and Experience keep up the good spirits backstage. Locker room harmony, what a lovely thing.

Second show of the month ends up looking like this.

Gerard and Mills open the show with a talking segment. Mills is determined to put another ghost of his past to rest by beating The Apocalypse in singles matches. Gerard wants to support him, as he’d rather fight the honorable Mills for the belt than anyone else. Wayne has our opening match against the young Lucketti, naturally defeating him. Tate & Hamstead defend their titles against the hot duo of Keenan & Laine and are successful, thanks to some timely D-Pod related distractions. Mattell & Blithe fight against Devine & Shark and end up getting the win thanks to that drat numbers game. Gilbert hits the ring with cavalry and ends up being accepted into the Animal Kingdom. The trios match that follows doesn’t end well for our heroes, as Cobra puts Wasp to sleep. Barney Mason joins forces with SHADOW LEGENDS for another trios match where they do get the win. Maniac Monster follows with a shouty rant about how he’ll rip Vortex’ head off as Oliverio tries to calm him down a bit. Devil nets himself another solid title defense, this time taking out Kasey. Tyrant is about to boast about ending Azumi’s whole drat career with Forbes, but is interrupted by the beefy stare of Mason. The two behemoths flex in silence as Forbes leads his client away. Another classic top faces against top heels tag match follows as Macquarie gets a shocking roll-up win over Boon, visibly shaking the man to his core. Mills ends the night by successfully defending the title against Hatemonger, much to the dismay of Warmonger.

Our string of improvement finally comes to an end as we score “only” a 60 for our efforts. There is no need to panic, this is still very much on par with our current hot streak.

- The main event wasn’t as strong as a few previous outings but still really good! You all remember me being worried about not hitting those 60 rated matches, so I’m really happy when I’m scoring three of those in a show. The road to those juicy green ratings (70 and up) is the next major milestone for me. I could probably do that if I slapped Gilbert against Hamstead or Warmonger right now… but what’s the fun in that!
- The weakest match in the main card is rated 54. That was a rating that I could only reach with a good main event two years ago. At this point we have great depth, even if every match is weighed heavily on the performance of one or two guys.
- I know Gilbert is a good talker, even if his segments aren’t doing that superbly. It’s mostly because I’m trying to rub some of that overness juice to the other Animal Kingdom guys as well.
- Worth noting that Lucketti had a better match against Wayne than his tag partner. Sure, it was by one point and his performance was worse, but still!

WILL YOU STOP!?

Oh SWF loses another young star to USP-

I couldn’t even finish that last sentence and-

ONE HALF OF THE TAG TEAM OF THE YEAR AS WELL?

This was all inside one week, just brutal. All three were solidly established in the upper midcard and Zimmy was the only guy nearing 40. At this rate, USPW is just going to end with the entire SWF roster from the start of the save, save a few guys here and there.

Garry the Entertainer is just done with MAW, this time simply no-showing their event. He must really want to get out of there.

WLW make their one and only hire of their growth spurt in the Oceania export X-Calibre, another guy also working for EX2010. Since it’s not an exclusive deal, he’ll continue to work in both companies. I’m just saying, Pretty Okakura is on the free market, grab him before it’s too late.

Another quick merch update to end the month. Gerard is the fifth guy to pop up here, interestingly just as his heel turn is starting to build up. Not that much growth otherwise but that comes when we hit the higher merch level in a few months time.

Next time: Will the hot streak continue despite a worryingly long break from the game?

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
We could give Molokai an offer, as long as he's willing to work for a wage that won't break the bank. And the phrase was "ONLY WINNERS WILL BE IN THE BOOK OF LEGENDS!", IIRC.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

It's weird that Milk never finds any work; he's a decent brawler, his mental & fundamentals are pretty drat good and he's a very entertaining worker. I guess it could be because he's set to USA only and he's not the right worker for Lethal Ring when it opens.

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven
Episode 36: Days of Our Lives

While CWA has made some small profits during the past few months, it will not be enough to dig them out of their massive financial crater. They lasted a bit longer than I expected, but the end is coming in three months. Let’s see if anyone dares to buy them out before they collapse.

To celebrate their soon approaching end, CWA once again crowns new champions for three of their four titles. Griffin Family (the almost identical twin of one former Commonwealth champion Mark and his younger brother Robby) regain the tag titles, former ACPW core piece Diable “El Diablo” Duvak wins the TV title and Christian Price robs Ricky DeColt of the honor of being the last CWA world champion… probably.

Pinn simply does not care for our face/heel divide as he once again offers to put over another heel, this time… Lorenzo Oliverio? Uhhhhh, sure. While this won’t be a storyline or anything (I see no value flipping Oliverio, especially so quickly) but he might get a surprising pin in a multiman match or something.

This also means we have the first show of the month in our hands. Goliath Global and SHADOW LEGENDS open the show with a promo. Goliath is not really too hot on giving LEGENDS another title match, but if one of them can beat Hamstead tonight they’ll get it. Otherwise, no cigar. Legend takes on the challenge in the main event. The first match sees Gilbert against Cobra in a quick match that ends in the predictable result. Mason tags along with The Dudes against Team Forbes but comes up short as Tyrant reigns over Jesse. Another trios match follows (a theme for the night, really) as Blithe, Oliverio and Monster grab a win thanks to a Boon interference. Boon is not done as he proceeds to pummel Macquarie some more after the match, ranting about he is not the weak link. Wayne Family grabs another solid win and Wayne himself is getting tired of D-Pod and his goons, finally challenging him to settle the matter mano i mano. Animal Kingdom’s top trio of Devine/Shark/Possum grab a surprise win over the formidable Pinn group as White Wasp distracts Pinn. Positive Energy channel their tag title winning ways as they once again topple Samoan Demolition. The Apocalypse rolls over poor Simonson and the post-match beatdown is only stopped when Gerard arrives fashionably late. Main event is a furious one, but SubUrban Legend manages to land the shock victory over Hamstead, much to the dismay of Goliath.

Legend and Hamstead hold the fort in a quality main event as the show manages to score another 62 rating!

- Gilbert and Cobra end up having great chemistry together, resulting in our best match yet. That’s what talent does for you. This killer opener helps the show reach a 62 rating, despite the top two matches “only” scoring 61 respectively. It’s good to see some green in there… even if it didn’t really take any special effort. Gilbert is just that drat good.
- Losing effort against Gilbert and a big win over Fox have finally given Blithe a pretty notable boost in his performances. He’s not a finished product by any means, but it’s finally looking like he’ll be getting to the Mason/Chuck level of consistent performances. He can do better, but despite a quick gimmick change he STILL gets big penalties to his charisma.
- Bad news: it looks like Bradford Peverell is starting to slowly decline. I knew it was a risk to get him, but it’s still a bit deflating to see the decline already starting. He’s not in a freefall or anything so he should be useful for the time being.

Mills and Warmonger ask for another raise and they get them. Since we are making more money than ever (roughly ten times the amount than one year previously) and no owner goal breathing down our necks, I could just give them the full amount… but 75% will do just fine!

Wayne gives props to D-Pod after the show. Thanks for stating the obvious, man.

Xtinction suffers a nasty spinal injury and is rushed to a surgery. Depending on the type of injury, the player and the AI can send a wrestler to get a surgery. On a success, the recovery time and the lingering effects are reduced. A failure is really rare, but it would result in the opposite. Xtinction gets lucky as the surgery is a complete success. Good for him and EILL.

Azumi, Koroki and Hosotani return home to WLW after our first show of the month. They immediately slot back into the undercard, just where they left off. Well, they are no longer considered young lions, so we’ll see if any of them start seeing any success during their first year back. You also might have noticed that we haven’t gotten any new WLW guests. The previous two groups both arrived in March and this time it’s been radio silence.

This time the monthly USA watch focuses on TCW as they hire Avalanche and more importantly Ernest Youngman. As stated in the last update, Avalanche can probably be a pretty decent monster for a lower level group. We’ll see if he amounts to anything special in the big leagues. Youngman is the big get here. He comes in as one of the finest technicians in the world and boasts killer fundamentals and really good entertainment skills to boot. Youngman was really just too good to stay in PSW and NYCW forever. It’s a big loss for the two groups as Youngman was almost always responsible for the match of the night on any given night. Now it’s up to TCW to capitalize on all that skill…

Joffy Laine finds another gig in his new adopted home. He comes in hot and is immediately one of the best guys in their roster, alongside Surfer Dude Lucas.

Over in England 21CW let’s Mark Adonis leave. It’s a puzzling call. While Adonis is bit of a backstage problem, he is a perfect fit for 21CW as a muscular charisma bomb. He hasn’t even been caught with steroids (yet). Look out for SNP scooping him up as soon as possible.

Oh that’s cool. Drucker doesn’t do much, as she’s pretty much just a valet for the Animal Kingdom guys, so this won’t exactly hurt any plans…

Congratulations to the father… Donovan Boon.

I’m sure the relationship between Mills and Boon is juuuuuuuuuuuuuuust fine.

Japan sees two big title wins this month. Emerald Angel finally rises to the top of the BHOTWG junior division and claims the world title. About time as he is the best high flyer in the world and the biggest star in Japan, regardless of weight class. Meanwhile, my main man Bunrakuken Torii conquers the Yoshifusa Maeda Grand Prix for the fourth time in his career. He and surprisingly still in the company Mabuchi Furusawa are the shining stars of the company as extremely underwhelming Blast Ikoma still reigns as champion.

Titles change hands on our shores as well. Damian Dastardly finally becomes the ZEN Master, dethroning the popular Monday Next. It’s about time, as he’s been the company MVP for years at this point. DIW keeps going to roads well traveled as Mace Mueller once again gets his legs cut from under him, dropping the belt back to Shogo. The Barracudas capture the tag titles for the seventh time in their careers and the fourth time inside the last two years.

ANZAC Day Special arrives on schedule and we cook up a card that looks like this. Warmonger and Gerard start with a war of words hyping up their big contender’s match in the main event. Wayne and D-Pod finally settle their problems inside the ring as Wayne gets a win under his belt, Pod refusing a post-match handshake. Another Animal Kingdom versus Pinn Enterprises match ends in chaos as both sides brawl to the back. White Wasp has no backup as Mattell takes real pride in picking him apart limb by limb. Afterwards Pinn completes the beatdown by throwing the Wasp around like a sack of potatoes, finishing him a brutal chokeslam on the stairs. The cavalry arrives late for a impromptu tag match, which ends in ANOTHER no contest as the warring faction members brawl their way back to the ring. Anti-Polar Vortex faces Oliverio and Monster in tag action, where Vortex manages to duck, dip, dodge and weave his way around the monster which gives Flash enough time to tie up Oliverio for a winning La Magistral. Mason leads the BEEF boys (in this case, Lucas, Jesse, Chuck and Kasey) against Team Forbes and Samoan Destruction. Chuck is once again successful in beating Malietoa and confidently claims that he has the number of the Australian champion and his partner. Tag titles are on the line as advertised as SHADOW LEGENDS get their shot. Global goons still come out on top as Goliath has to empty his book to help his clients. Main event ends in a controversial draw after a double count out, leaving Mills no choice but to defend his title in a three way match against two of the best of the best in the coming months. I just love sending the crowd home with an inconclusive finish.

Well, it ain’t the summer of 69s, but I’m happy with having a spring of 62s.

- Warmonger and Gerard end up having a killer segment to open the show! Gerard isn’t a top tier mic worker, but is constantly helped by better entertainers than him. There’s a reason he has spent most of the last two years working with either Goliath or Pinn. And while other heels have taken most of the focus, Warmonger is on paper my best heel. He kills it nearly every time. Sure, he gets pissy if I ask him to lose but otherwise he’s great. If he was five years younger he’d be our next champion. The main event is great, but since I have to keep War strong, it’s not what it could be.
- D-Pod ends up having his APW career match against Wayne. While Pod is mostly all about his mic skills, he is slowly getting better in the ring as well. Wayne’s stamina is still dropping hard but it’s yet to affect his performances too much. He’s here for a good time, not for a long time.
- The Chuck promo is really impressive considering it’s all about him and Devil. I know charisma is his biggest strength, but I’m still really happy how far along he has come since the start of the save. I’m not expecting miracles from the upcoming match, but a 60+ rating is possible if everything goes like in Strömsö.

The month ends as another new company opens its doors, this time in jolly old England. National Wrestling Federation (NWF) looks to capitalize on the success of 21CW not by diverting from it (like SNP or CWW) but going back to basics. They are here to stay for a while, as the company starts with a whopping one million dollars in the bank. The owner is actually a regen manager that has been active for six months. It will be interesting to see what kind of roster they can come up with as the free agent pool over there isn’t looking that deep, so look forward to SNP and CWW guys flooding in.

Next time: Super Surfer Slam hits Queensland for the second year running!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Can you offer someone a pay raise in return for them being more willing to lose matches?

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven

AtomikKrab posted:

Can you offer someone a pay raise in return for them being more willing to lose matches?

Not really. You can raise their morale by giving them the 100% raise when asked, giving them a new (bigger) contract or just straight up giving them a money bonus. The "problem" is that the positive morale boosts are less effective and last way shorter than their negative counterparts. You make them lose a match when they complain and they will be annoyed (or worse) about that for over a year and it takes multiple positive effects to even nullify that. That's why I tend to be really gun shy with decisions that annoy my crew.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

BTF posted:

Pinn simply does not care for our face/heel divide as he once again offers to put over another heel, this time… Lorenzo Oliverio? Uhhhhh, sure. While this won’t be a storyline or anything (I see no value flipping Oliverio, especially so quickly) but he might get a surprising pin in a multiman match or something.

Is it fair to say you've been offered a dumb, free pin?

AtomikKrab posted:

Maybe
When you negotiate a contract with someone, you can manipulate their "role" on the roster. There's a couple of roles like "Gatekeeper" or whatever that influence how willing someone is to lose, but they still have to see the other performer as worthy enough. It just opens up who they see as worthy a little more.

The problem with that is, you have to convince them to take that role on a contract. Which they can refuse to sign, and I think they might even become offended in some cases, if they see themselves above that role.

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven

Veryslightlymad posted:

Is it fair to say you've been offered a dumb, free pin?

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

NWF seems like a weird choice for the in-universe investors. Like 21CW already exists and makes money, yes. But basically doing the same thing but without all the talent and tv deal doesn’t exactly seem like a financial slam dunk.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Insertnamehere31 posted:

NWF seems like a weird choice for the in-universe investors. Like 21CW already exists and makes money, yes. But basically doing the same thing but without all the talent and tv deal doesn’t exactly seem like a financial slam dunk.

On the other hand, it's a proven concept that has shown to work so odds are somebody out there sees how many £ one can make from some sweaty slamfests.

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven
Episode 37: World Level Weirdos

BHOTWG keep on growing their massive talent pool (sitting at 82, second only to USPW’s 92 wrestlers on the payroll). SUKI had a year off after leaving BCG very early on in the save, had a year long stin with both EX2010 and WLW and is now Burning Hammer bound. He will keep bolstering their impressive midcard. William Hayes goes the other way, having entered time decline after a few years with BHOTWG. PGHW are probably happy to have him back for a while.

It’s not all good news. In a rare botched surgery, Incredible Koyama’s shattered elbow gets even more shattered during the operation. At 40 years old, it’s hard to see the junior midcard stalwart recover from this. BHOTWG do resign him shortly after, ensuring him guaranteed money for the duration of his now over a year long recovery.

A major death shocks the Japanese wrestling scene later in the month as BHOTWG legend Eiji Hamacho passes away suddenly, only 53 years old. “The Raging Bull” was one of the cornerstones of BHOTWG for over 30 years alongside tag partner Chuchi Sanda. A shockingly early death for a wrestler with a clean reputation.

Something about YEPW keeps rubbing the regens the wrong way. Tony Collins left last year and now it looks like Dean Jarrett is on his way out as well. It won’t be a big loss for YEPW, as the rookie technician hasn’t really shown anything that impressive in the ring and is a sleazy backstage personality as well.

The clock keeps ticking for CWA as another financial warning rolls in. Shooter Sean Deeley proudly boasts that he is the top guy of a dying company. Real Matt Taven energy. Brooke Tyler has some rotten luck, as one of the final CWA shows sees her tear her rotator cuff. She would have been the hottest female free agent of the CWA roster, so the timing couldn't have been any worse. (Despite being one of the best women in the world, she wouldn’t walk right into a Alicia Strong program at USPW. Despite being popular as hell in Canada, she has very little pop in the US.)

EILL is the first company to hit a MOTYC level match in 2022… except not really. Usually only 100 rated matches get a news story, but randomly some 99 rated matches get one as well. This is one of those cases. SWF, BHOTWG and USPW also have one 99 rated match this year and none of them got a news story about it.

Europe rises to the headlines with… another Byron title reign? I can’t believe EWA fans haven’t turned on Byron after booking himself as their world champion ten times. (There are three years in EWA when Byron didn’t hold the title, 2007, 2008 and 2015. Even Jeff Jarrett would blush looking at that track record.) UEW goes up to Small shortly after. Cause and effect, maybe?

APW heads to Queensland for our yearly show outside of our homebase New South Wales. Thus the show is very lighthearted and doesn’t really advance any storylines. My assumption here is that despite our increased popularity, we’ll still end with our worst show of the year. So I don’t want to tank all of our storylines with some bad angles. So much like last year, very much a non-canon outdoor spot show.

That being said, we open up with a small continuation from last year as Pinn has bought every food stand in a 10 mile radius from the show location and has skyrocketed the prices! Our heroes for the night, Gilbert and Wayne, won’t accept this and challenge the evil capitalist to a main event match to get those drat prices down! Apocalypse maul Laine and Keenan but the babyfaces show great fire in a losing effort. Goliath trio face off against a high flying crew and naturally win. The victory speech is rudely interrupted by The Dudes surfing in and Goliath's suit gets extremely wet. Mason leads SHADOW LEGENDS in a match against trash talking D-Pod, Monster and Oliverio and the heroes come out as victorious. D-Pod gets his butt kicked some more after the fact, crashing through a sandcastle to a great ovation. Devil and Boon form a uneasy alliance for the night but manage to defeat Possum and Vortex. Mills gives everyone ice cream before his tag match where he and Gerard beat low card stalwarts Wilkes & Lydecker. Main event ends predictably as Wayne and Gilbert send the crowd home happy.

…I was wrong with my assumption that this would be our worst show of the year. This is why having TV matters as most of our roster had improved considerably compared to last year’s outing. Guys like Warmonger and Mills were pretty close to their normal performances.

- Wayne and Gilbert were a safe bet for the main event, as they have great popularity all across the country. The main was always going to deliver and I’m really happy it went the way it did. The pleasantly surprising part is Christian Blithe outperforming his boss despite having lower popularity in Queensland. Talent, it does wonders!
- You might notice the first Wilkes & Lydecker straight up tag match in over two years. As you might remember, the two had absolutely no chemistry as partners. The thing that can overrule bad chemistry is tag experience. And since the two of them have been sticking to trios matches a lot, that tag experience has gradually increased. Now sitting at 66 experience, the duo will no longer get the chemistry penalty. A valuable midcard tag piece is back in play, baby! Dee Lucketti will get to play the mic man for them, as he has as much charisma as the two combined.
- It’s a storyline light show for a reason (don’t want to tank any big storylines with worse than usual segments), but it was great to see the Dudes/Goliath story start off pretty well.
- The show is a big money loser, but our other show of the month will offset this loss.

Mr Lucha III finally has to let go of one of his titles as the COTT World title changes hands after 27 successful defenses. American Flash is a fine champion, a good high flyer who is popular in the alliance hot spot over at west coast. His style fits easily to lucha rings as well. Thankfully Mr Lucha can still hug his OLLIE trios title every night as that title reign crawls over the 700 day mark. If you guessed that the belt still has only one defense, you would be absolutely right!

In a month of multiple pay rise requests (Flash, Vortex and Boon), we actually get a rare notification. Tyrant has a request but as we try to open the window we get this message. I have no idea why this happens, as the situation can’t change. You can’t proceed if you have unresolved decisions waiting for action. So the worker can’t really change his mind if you proceed for a few days. This can happen with the same guy multiple times.

Former ROF/21CW mainstay Leo Price takes the book over at NWF and gets a predictably weak starting roster to work his magic. CWW star Martin Heath is the big bright spot, but the rest of the roster is very much filled with nothing. Charismatic prospect Dangermouth and the incredibly boring judoka Gavin Owen are probably the next best bets compared to a group of neverbeens and regen rookies. Their first show is predictably RIPW levels of bad, so CWW and SNP don’t really have anything to worry about.

Tag titles change hands in a few different places. PGHW keep insisting that KitoGuchi should stay in the tag division as the duo once again become the Glory Crown tag champions. What’s even MORE baffling is that KitoGuchi weren’t used in ANY big shows between dropping the titles and now. I just… what. Meanwhile another PGHW team drops their titles as the invading duo of Hirotsugu Satou and ELITE Series winner Avalanche Takano are finally toppled in BCG. New champions Mitsukiri and Kinoshita are part of the ridiculously decent young core. Now if only-

*ring ring*

Hello?

Uhhhh, what?

WLW is extremely salty about… something and decides to become hostile towards us. Maybe Rampage and Reinhold really pissed them off. There’s a sea separating us, so I don’t think this will blossom into a war. I’m not going to get any more guys from WLW, I’d presume. I can find cheap job guys anywhere, just watch me!

…oh, were you just projecting your anger towards us? WLW and SWF should form an alliance, they can give tips to each other about how to jump between company sizes EVERY THREE MONTHS.

Merch department upgrades to level six. Since this happened in the middle of the month, we’ll only start to see the benefits a month from now. In short, we should start making even more money! Hopefully!

I very rarely post these “Internet poll” style news, as they happen almost every month and are extremely repetitive. The same guys usually hold the poll for year after year until time decline hits them and they drop off. But this is the first time I’m seeing Mikey Lau heralded as the best in the world. The choice to head to EILL has proved to be beneficial to both parties. With the “MOTYC” from earlier this month, Lau looks like a frontrunner for the Wrestler of the Year award with EILL looking like a likely candidate to repeat their Company of the Year win. (They already have 19 shows rated 85 or above, ahead of CWA’s 14 and SWF’s 11.)

TCW loses yet ANOTHER main event level player, as Freddy Huggins is the latest cog in USPW’s star machine. Thankfully TCW throw 100 000 a month towards Greg Gauge and just about manage to hold on to their third most important wrestler… and immediately shunt him back to the tag division. Nice going.

Feeling the loss of Ernest Youngman bite them PSW and NYCW head to the same well and hire… John Greed? Greed was a SWF midcard act for years but despite great mic skills and a killer gimmick (“The Eight Deadly Sin”) he never managed to break through. Having been let go from the sports entertainment juggernaut, the sharply declining former “internet darling” goes for one last run.

Positive Energy lose their other set of tag titles as well. The RAW team of 3AM Boys take the titles. It’s not a surprise, as the Boys are the most popular team in their division. Energy are the better team, so we’ll probably see them regain those titles at some point. (Before 3AM Boys went to RAW, they were known as The Australian People's Party in the indy scene. I brought them in when I played with ZEN in TEW 13 as evil taxmen. Just... because ZEN, you know.)

Caged Showdown arrives without further hijinks and we end up with a card like this. Wayne announces his intentions to enter the title hunt now that D-Pod is in the back mirror and proceeds to win a trios match to open the show. Eight man tag between familiar stables ends in a DQ as Cobra sends his snake after Gilbert. Shook from this, Gilbert makes a shocking challenge: five against five, losing unit must disband. Devine and Shark seem to be against the idea but Pinn is quick to accept. Following that Goliath Global get a win over the three muscleheads as Tyrant arrives to ram Mason head to the ringpost. Another tag match pits two feuds into one, as Macquarie and Boon brawl out of control ending the match in a dreaded no contest. The heel wins continue as Nameth and Tyrant grab a win over Anti-Polar Vortex, very much thanks to a rampaging Maniac Monster. Not content with the loss he caused, Monster proceeds to bomb Vortex through multiple tables and it takes a sizable group of undercard wrestlers to drag him away. The two main events are both cage matches. Chuck fights hard but Brisbane Devil manages to beat the charismatic challenger. Mills conquers both Warmonger and Gerard inside the cage, pinning Warmonger with Gerard just inches away from breaking the pin. Gerard, always being driven by being the champion, absolutely snaps and drives the title belt to the skull of Mills to end the show on a “shocking” note.

Five months in and not a single show under 60. It might not make the best LP material, but I’m happy how well things keep going.
- It’s an awesome match but I can’t help but feel a little disappointed about the main event. Sure, I’m blinded with how easily Wayne and Gilbert pull good ratings out of anything with a pulse, but putting three of my best guys in a match should have yielded a bit better result.
- Devil nets his best defense as he and Chuck break the 60 rating. It’s been a killer reign thus far and Chuck really rose to the occasion once again. Thumbs up for both guys.
- Reggie Tate was off his game and still matched Lucas in his performance. I smell a singles match coming up in the near future. Jesse is still very much the weak link, but it’s decently easy to book around that.

I can’t believe Gerard hates Wasp this much. (The two don’t have a negative relationship, Gerard is just hurling abuse at the guy every few months).

Next time: Halfway point of the year!

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

Are you planning on having Wayne go after the main title or the secondary one?

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
I think Gerard just thinks someone like Wasp just isn't right for the company.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Gerard has the Driven personality, I take it?

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven

Insertnamehere31 posted:

Are you planning on having Wayne go after the main title or the secondary one?

Well, there might be a mongering obstacle on the way before we get there...

(Undecided at the moment, although leaning towards the Australian title. Or hey, maybe a tag challenge with one of his "cousins")

Armitage posted:

Gerard has the Driven personality, I take it?

Yup.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Not a surprise, lol. Every so often Driven wrestlers will send you a message with a helpful hint about a lower-mid card worker to keep an eye on and give some attention to but most of the time they poop on enhancement talent or anyone that'll likely just peak at lower-midcard. Seriously, just leave 'em alone, every promotion needs jobbers!

Armitage fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 13, 2022

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven
It’s been a while? I probably have a lot of excuses for another 6 week break, but let’s skip those and just head on to the update!

Episode 38: For Whom The Bell Tolls

CWA might be on their last legs, but that doesn’t stop them from making ANOTHER tag title change. While I would have been delighted to see Mark Griffin and his brother as the last tag champs, it fits the company to hand the belts to their two top stars and former world champions in Aaron Knight and Ricky DeColt. Champions of a dying company, quite the mark in your resume.

Speaking of Ricky, he and his older brother Alex mend some old wounds. Family feud is the most extreme negative relationship between family members. I’ve never seen one happen organically, but there’s a few pre-set in the database (DeColt with his brother, Edd Stone with his father/brothers) and if the stars align, some of those feuds will come to an end. Alex still has beef with the other two brothers, but maybe in time the quartet can sit in the same table. (The relationship turned sour because of wrestling, as Alex was mostly responsible for killing the DeColt company CGC, forcing the merger with NOTBW to form CWA).

The DeColt/Knight win is by no means the only notable title change of the month. Over the pond in jolly old England, Apollo Prince rises to the mountaintop for the very first time. War Machine’s reign wasn’t that bad, but 21CW probably prefers a top notch guy as their main star. Prince is young, entertaining and great in the ring, being the perfect pick to headline for a while. With both Cornells gone and former Wrestler of the Year Adam Matravers aging out, it’s up to Prince and Leigh Burton to carry the baton for the next few years.

EWA might not be the best of companies, but they are still ahead of their less than stellar competition in mainland Europe. They are the first of the bunch to start a weekly TV show, and while the revenue of that likely isn’t going to be anything to write home about, it’ll grow them a lot faster than sticking to a monthly event schedule. And since EWA is all about that popularity, the company is pretty much a lock to hold onto European supremacy for a very long time.

Over in Japan WLW once again goes up in size. I wonder if they’ll stay up this time, I very much doubt it. What is much more interesting is 5SSW finally doing the same. The pillar of women’s wrestling has been the number three company in the country on paper for a while. I don’t see their growth stalling in a while.

We get to the show and would you look at that! Wayne picks up a protege in Elvis Robinson. It’s a great stylistic fit, both being entertaining brawlers cut from the same cloth. Robinson really needs every tip he can get. It really is unfortunate that Robinson won’t be enjoying the mentorship for long.

In another classic episode of “play and screenshot the month, wait six weeks and then start writing”, I look at this show and try to remember what exactly I was trying to do here. After his shocking turn last month, Gerard opens the show reasoning with the crowd. In his mind, he’s not a bad guy, just a guy willing to do anything to get his title back. Crowd is not buying the pity party, which frustrates Gerard as he feels they are being quite unreasonable. First match of the night has The Apocalypse steamroll the brand-new mentor/student pair of Wayne and Robinson as the young man gets the snot beaten out of him, with Warmonger making a point mocking Wayne’s signature taunt before shattering some spines. Brisbane Devil has another “open challenge” against the hopeless Ishigami and retains his title in a convincing fashion. The Pinn vs Kingdom feud continues with another tag match as the inexplicably well oiled duo of Wasp and Gilbert manage to defeat Cobra and Peverell. Afterwards, Devine and Shark have an emergency meeting with Gilbert, voicing their concerns for the “unit disbands” match Gilbert has agreed to. Gilbert waves off the complaints, being overly confident in “his” team. In a booking trope so common that they should start naming it after me, two feuds come together in a trios match. Mason’s brawl with Tyrant goes off the rails, ending the match in a double count-out. The rest of Team Forbes hit the scene, swarm Mason and manage to knock the beef beast out with the help of brass knuckles. The following two singles matches keep building the match between the Dudes and Goliath Global with the teams splitting the singles wins, Hamstead and Lucas grabbing the pins. Macquarie cuts a quick promo directed at Boon just before the main event, giving a scathing compilation of Boon’s career of playing second fiddle to others. This naturally bites Macquarie in the rear end in the main event, as Boon makes sure that Macquarie doesn’t beat Gerard. Gerard himself wrestles more aggressively than before and celebrates as usual, trying to high five the fans in attendance.

And what do you know, another 61 rated show! Some would call this stagnation, I call it… keeping the ship steady.

- Macquarie has been killing it in the promo department and the main event was great as well. He’s by no means a long term option this high in the card, but it’s great to have dependable options as undercard acts keep building themselves up.
- Surprisingly, Hamstead/Jesse is a slightly better match than Tate/Lucas. Jesse hasn’t miraculously surpassed Lucas as a worker, but Hamstead was just that drat great. It also helped that Lucas had a bit of an off night. Hamstead against Lucas could probably main event a show before I get to the tag title match itself.
- Gilbert and Wasp end up having great chemistry together! Wasp finally catches a break as he has had some awful luck with tag chemistry. Finding it with the absolute top guy in the company, that's a goldmine for him. Well… it would be, but let’s see where my plans take the duo.
- Wayne won’t be heading to a title shot just yet, as I start up a feud against Warmonger. Hopefully Keenan & Laine can get some needed pop gains from association as well.

Gilbert notes that maybe I should give D-Pod some mic time. Well drat, I hadn’t thought of that before. (Pod is regaining momentum/waiting for his next feud and/or turn in the pre-show, he is not going anywhere).

Smaller title changes catch my eye during the month. Diamond Dogs were not satisfied with their near record breaking title run as they once again win the SAISHO tag titles. I don’t think they’ll repeat their previous success but I’ve seen weirder things happen… I’m looking at you, OLLIE trios titles. Over in ELPF the company goes for a rare smart booking decision as Helmar Gustavsson drops his belt to KRUGE THE EXECUTIONER. As previously stated, Kruge is one of the better ELPF guys and putting a singles title on him is better than keeping it on Gustavsson. It’s also really funny that the super serious MMA-lite company has a masked guy as their champion.

TCW enters the race for the match of the year with a legit 100 rated contest. It should be no surprise that Hawkins and Andrews are involved. Chris Flynn and Sterling Whitlock are solid, but this is the match of their lives. Mikey Lau is having a hell of a year but Hawkins and Andrews are both gunning for that WOTY award.

TCW also reinforces their roster. Emma Chase gets finally hired after resting on her laurels for a solid few months. TCW isn’t an angle heavy company, but Chase would give a boost to any segment she is involved in. Or you can stick her behind the commentary table and have her boost every segment providing quality analysis. Former SWF-wrestler Justin Sensitive also joins the crew with gifted technician Marc Speed leaving to give him space. Speed wasn’t in decline quite yet so it is weird to see him leave, maybe his old home CZCW will give him a quick call soon enough.

WLW’s growth seemingly angers BHOTWG a bit and the emperors manage to make fools out of themselves in the process. Don’t do dirty tricks, stick to hiring sprees.

SubUrban Legend is racking up friends in social media at a breakneck pace. I really can’t remember anyone else starring in this same type of story so many times. SubUrban Legend, twitter master, has struck again.

Second show of the month is here and Beer Bash shapes up like this. Goliath tries to butter up Lucas as the superior Dude with some gargantuan potential but Lucas is almost immune to sweet talk! A de facto #1 contender’s match follows where the Dudes (predictably) manage to come out on top. Warmonger absolutely smashes through poor Robinson and afterwards yells at Wayne. If his “new protege” is this laughably easy, the mentor has no chance against him either. Wayne Family try to prove War wrong by defeating Hate, Nameth and Tyrant in a trios match, but War is less than impressed as comically bandaged up Mason arrives to the scene to take Tyrant out of the game. Another trios match follows as Lucketti, Wilkes and Lydecker grab a surprise win over Kasey and LEGENDS, as Lucketti smashes his smart phone to Nighthawk’s head. Macquarie has a singles match against the impressive Blithe and manages to dismantle the Enterprises underling. Speaking of, Pinn and Boon go head to head against the new super-team of Gilbert and Wasp and grab the underhanded victory over the energetic Wasp. Pinn points out that Animal Kingdom has no chance against them with such a weak link in their midst. Mason returns to action as he defeats Prellinger with Forbes panicking at ringside how his goons are once again fed to another rising face. Mills has a promo responding to Gerard’s good guy act and buys pretty much none of it. Mills tells the world that Gerard made no accidents last month. It was just a man losing his cool and then backpedaling with all his might. Mills is not trusting the man again and plans to exact some payback in the main event. Main event has both men with allies as Chuck steps up in the main event and Gerard has convinced the seemingly still trusting Devine to team with him. Gerard avoids Mills all he can until he can drive him headfirst to the ring post, allowing him and Devine to finish Chuck with a double team.

It’s a 5000 strong sell-out for yet another 62 rated show!

- Mills is a drat strong promo. I’ve yet to let Gilbert (or really Wayne) to go all out in a promo with no hindrances so I don’t know how Mills’ best would compare but I’m currently more than happy. The main event is again great, but I would have hoped a bit more with the talent and the two good chemistry notes involved.
- Wasp is involved in a banger of a tag match, but the work is all about Boon and Gilbert. Pinn keeps slowing down but he is an essential character in APW. The big unit disbands match most likely won’t be great, but I’ve personally enjoyed building up to it.
- Warmonger is a beast. Basically squashing Robinson nets a 62 rating which… well, is quite impressive. I should probably actually consider strapping up War before he starts slowing down.
- The LEGENDS trios match is the worst match of the show thanks to Nighthawk and Legend both having a major day off. The rest of them can’t really elevate this to anything notable. I want to like Lucketti (and he’s getting a minor story in the coming months) but he could probably use a trip to Japan to hone his skills. He’s the youngest member of the roster so he has all the time in the world to get good.

And the yo-yo… goes up!

With her shattered elbow proving to be a career ending injury, Foxxy LaRue decides to call it quits at 35. It’s a blow for QAW as she was one of their top stars two years ago, but hopefully a new generation will be able to take her place. She’ll stay in the business, probably sliding to a road agent or a manager role in QAW.

The official front-runner for the WOTY isn’t Mikey Lau, but another EILL star in Pharaoh King. The 41 year old veteran has had a great year, tagging with Multimillinario and also playing a part in the EILL MOTYC contest. Lau, El Heroe and Yellowjacket all have slightly better match averages, but it’s looking like the WOTY honor is going south of the border no matter what. We’ll see what happens for the next six months.

The reason why Robinson doesn’t get to enjoy Wayne’s mentorship is the fact he’s heading off to Japan. With R & R coming back I think it’s suitable to send the next duo over to their excursion, this time to SAISHO. Pre-show projects Robinson and Hack Greer get the nod. It’s a year long trip with the two hopefully getting a lot of reps and some good stat gains. R & R don’t look like world beaters after their trip, but maybe this time they’ll come back looking a bit more developed!

I accidentally advance one day too many and we finally hear the bell toll.

It’s quite fitting that their last PPV event ended up being In Company of Legends, because that’s exactly where CWA are. In the grave.

So… I guess it’s poll time~

CWA’s death means that there is suddenly a plethora of free agents of CONSIDERABLE talent available. While I do believe that the biggest names will be hired in no time, I’d like to keep my eyes on some talent who I’d like to be able to coerce into signing with us. So, here’s a list of guys I’m interested in, feel free to vote up to four of the options. I’ll try to bring in the ones that get the most support. And if no one gets any interest… I might bring someone in anyway. You are not a TEW player if you don’t go on uncontrollable hiring sprees.

A) Aaron Knight, 29
Why not go for the Big One™. Knight is undoubtedly the top guy of the crop and the guy I’m expecting to get the most offers from big US companies. Entertaining as hell, great brawler, has the psychology, has the look, has it all! The drawback for all of the guys is their low or non-existent popularity in our shores. Can be a top heel or a top face after some (major) build-up.

B) David Stone, 22
“The Last Stone” has wrestling in his blood. His grandfather, father and uncles are multiple time world champions in Canada and hugely accomplished outside of their stronghold. The young Stone is not on the level of his great predecessors, but he is still young and quite excellent for his age. His prodigy attribute has his skills develop at a faster rate than normal. Unlike other suggestions, Stone is not a finished product and lacks the most in entertainment stats.

C) George Wolfe, 30
You always need new monsters, right? Wolfe is shaped in the Hamstead-mold, being a brawler with good psychology and enough Menace to get by. A second generation heavyweight, so wrestling is in his blood as well.

D) Hugh Ancrie, 31
The artist also known as Mr Impact. Product of the House of Stone, a gifted technician is solid all around. He is pretty much embodiment of “The Stone curse”, as he is just so good but also a bit bland. The Mr. Impact gimmick has potential to be played with.

E) Jared Johnson, 32
Johnson is probably the most overlooked talent in NOTBW/CWA. He has been waiting for an elevation to the main event for almost a decade this point, but now that will never happen. Excellent technician with the charisma and the looks to carry himself.

F) Mark Griffin, 32 (feat. Robby Griffin, 25)
Griffin is a personal favourite of saves past. He might look like Louie Scorpio a bit too much, but this one is the genuine article. No-nonsense technician with a bit of Menace as well to cover for his middling entertainment skills. Also has a high flying brother to tag along with some decent tag experience.

G) Princeton Pryce, 27
One of the latest great graduates of the House of Stone. All-around great talent with room to grow and star quality to match Mason. Has spent the past few years tagging with David Stone, the two forming a killer young gun duo.

H) Shooter Sean Deeley, 36
Shooter is the oldest of the bunch, great technician, excellent psychology, and even his entertainment skills aren’t as dreadful as they could be. A posterboy of Canadian excellence in the mat but dryness in the character department.

I) Skip Beau, 31
Joffy Laine, but Canadian. Entertaining brawler with good psychology, APW faitful just love those kind of guys. A natural fan favourite.

J) The Dynamite Express (Cam Jones, 31 and Syd Collier, 33)
Just one of the best tag teams in the world. Two technicians with 100 experience together, not the most charismatic guys but we have managers to fix issues like that. Born heels.

Next time: R & R returns to action!

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
I say we focus on picking young guys. Let the fellas wave their own flags when they enter the ring and see if a bit of friendly Commonwealth rivalry goes well with the audience. My picks from that line-up would be C, F and I.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Go with A, B, F and I. Knight and Beau would fit in perfectly as charismatic brawlers, the Griffins are a world class tag team and you can't turn down having a Stone on your roster.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

B. C. F

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
E,F,I
Getting a really good technician with actual entertainment could be big. I've been under the impression that most of our best are brawlers. Personally, even if I have a company that goes hard on one type of skill, I find having guys with high marks in something else to only be a positive.

As for the other two, we potentially get two more tag teams and we have a third coming back from excursion. This will give us a lot of fresh matches to play with. Especially if you wanna solidify anything with Wasp and Gilbert.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

I was just thinking about this LP the other day, glad to see it continuing!

I’m gonna vote for B,C,E,G. Honestly though I imagine it will be pretty tough to get any of these guys to commit to moving to Australia for a per show deal.

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven

Veryslightlymad posted:

I've been under the impression that most of our best are brawlers. Personally, even if I have a company that goes hard on one type of skill, I find having guys with high marks in something else to only be a positive.

APW (and Oceania in general) is a brawler heavy place. Most of my heels have brawling as their highest primary stat (Mattell and Prellinger are pretty much the exceptions) and a few have somewhat equal technical skills (Gerard, Boon, Blithe, Wilkes and Lydecker). Faces are a bit more diverse with a lot of the high end talent having technical skills close to their brawling (Gilbert, Mills, Lucas and Devine). Brawlers in general are a pretty good fit for out product, as charisma (Pod), looks (Mason) and/or psychology (Chuck) can get a guy pretty far even without a truly standout primary skill.

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven
The thread has spoken: Davis Stone, George Wolfe, Mark (and Robby) Griffin and Skip Beau (+ maybe a sixth guy to keep the roster even) will be getting a call from us somewhat soon. I’ll be keeping an eye out for the rest of the squad as well, especially if our preferences get grabbed by someone else.

Episode 39: Spoiler alert - R & R are still bad

Not much happens after the “shocking” collapse of CWA in the first few days of the month. Most notable is probably Hercules Johansson and KRUGE, THE EXECUTIONER winning the EWA tag team titles. As you might remember, Johansson is one of the most popular wrestlers in EWA… despite losing some 90% of his matches during the last two and a half years. His momentum is somewhere south of absolute zero, but he is somehow the number two heel behind, you guessed it, owner/booker Byron.

Failure to Communicate arrives quickly with a card like this. Another classic talking segment featuring Gilbert, Pinn and Devine gets interrupted by Gerard who tells Devine that Gilbert is not a trustworthy teammate like himself. A planned tag team main event (playa) turns into a trios match as Gerard tags along despite objections from everyone except Devine. Opening match has Wayne Family overcome Apocalypse and Wilkes with Laine beating Wilkes, War focusing his efforts on punishing Wayne every chance he gets. Lucketti enters the scene, insulting SHADOW LEGENDS and claiming to be the hottest social media juggernaut in wrestling. The boasting gets interrupted by the returning R & R, leading to a match against L & L! Reinhold and Rampage manage to grab a victory (maybe their first under my control), as SubUrban Legend distracts Lucketti by grabbing his phone. Enterprises versus Kingdom keeps on building up with another trios match, this time ending with a knockout blow by Peverell on Wasp. Vortex defeats Oliverio in a singles match and afterwards challenges Maniac Monster to an Aussie Rules match (you’d think it would be a tables match, but the game generously reminds me that the APW audience thinks a TABLES MATCH is a bit too violent for them when trying to book the stipulation in the next show). Macquarie has a match with Prellinger and wins. Yes, it’s a rare match with no other point than to build up Macquarie with a solid singles win. The Dudes and Flash actually manage to defeat the combined force of Goliath Global… via DQ as Goliath smashes Jesse’s knee with a crowbar. Lucas gets tied to the ropes as the Goliath goons wreck havoc on his defenseless partner. Mills tags along with Mason against Nameth and Tyrant. The reigning Commonwealth champion has little trouble pinning Nameth as Mason and Tyrant brawl on outta there halfway through the match. Main event ends in a “shocking” way as Gerard abandons his partners because he “injures” his shoulder. Devine and Gilbert can’t hang on two against three and Boon gets to pin Devine for the win.

And just like that, our best show ever. Maybe using Gilbert in main event matches isn’t a bad idea, huh?

- R & R… well, they are not good! To be fair, their return match had only one decent worker (Lydecker) to carry the load. Also in fairness, APW is an overness company, so a year without the overness gains that the rest of the roster has gotten truly shows here, but the duo still lack the pieces that make them worth heavily featuring (either the in-ring skills or the charisma to cover for that). Reinhold is the slightly better of the two and the more valuable piece of the two. Still, having gained 100 tag experience, the duo should do fine. Don’t be surprised if they don’t break out of the pre-show limbo in a while, especially with new faces coming in.
- You love to see the green in that opening angle. Devine was the weakest part but the other three delivered, unsurprisingly.
- Vortex is really good in his role, you know. Oliverio gets dragged to a good match and the follow-up angle with Monster is pretty drat great as well. After this story wraps up, he should really be moved to title contention against Global or Devil.
- For a “best show ever” there’s really not much to say. It’s mostly a build-up show for the future. This is why putting your best match at the end actually matters!

Surprising amount of feedback follows the show. Wayne takes a liking to Samurai Boy and sees future stardom in him. Well, maybe, but not with us. While Boy certainly has potential, I have a lot of other people who need/deserve a spotlight. Hopefully his eventual return to WLW goes well enough, as he still has ways to go in his in-ring skills.

Chuck chimes in about Lucketti. I am grateful that my wrestlers notice the reasons I hired a wrestler two and a half years later. As said, Lucketti is just getting his first sniff of an actual story. Much like Maniac Monster, it’s a work in progress. Youngest guy on the roster, so he has the time and is on a shortlist to head for an excursion in the future.

Lothar Prellinger becomes an unlikely news story as he comes up with a flashy new submission in his match against Macquarie. As a result, he gets the attribute “Hot New Move”, giving him a minor boost in his in-ring performance for the next while. While Prellinger is pretty much the third guy in Team Forbes, he is sneakily improving. Working in YEPW has seen his Psychology get a bit of a boost. Nameth is still the guy with the long term potential, but it's nice to see our "flamboyant madman" doing decently.

SWF’s growth triggers a large-scale hiring spree this time around. In a predictable miss, they don’t even consider all the talent up north who just became available. Instead, the Land of Supreme hires a few independent standouts. IPW ace Aldous Blackfriar is the most important name here. Former TCW project might see his career take off in a way no one imagined. Other hires include the returning John Greed, PSW brawler Cowboy Buck Winchester, second generation star Ash Campbell, CZCW tag specialist California Love Machine and former TCW commentator Jasmine Saunders. The weirdest hire is Miguel Rivera, another tag guy from the west coast and the weaker part of his tag team. Akima Brave goes the other way after two years of being a TV jobber as his contract doesn’t get renewed. SWF is loading up their midcard with… fresh talent, what is this.

A news story almost worth a spit take hits the feed. Robbie Retro, a career midcarder, wins the SWF world title from Scythe in the main event of Supreme Challenge (the WrestleMania equivalent of CVerse). This… is truly one of the most bizarre title wins I’ve seen the game AI make. I can’t really think of a comparison in real life. This is like if Disco Inferno won the WCW World title from Goldberg at Starcade 98. (To be fair to Retro, he is actually pretty over, but still steps behind other younger and better top acts. And IT’S THE MAIN EVENT OF THE BIGGEST SHOW OF THE YEAR).

EX2010 and VWA are the next two companies to grow up a level (EX to Medium, VWA to small). EX then does the thing that they always do and hire top WLW to pay-per-appearance deals. Top stars in both companies tend to agree to work with both, guaranteeing a hellish wrestling schedule. VWA doesn’t do anything, which is fitting for an European CVerse company.

A bit north from Switzerland, the Scottish company SNP actually make numerous really good hires. Former 21CW world champion Jonathan Faust cools down his career as a top guy up north, freakishly huge Mark Adonis gets another chance and Welsh Dragon has sneakily developed into one of the better high flyers in the parts. And most importantly…

PUFFY THE SAND IRON PLAYER HAS A JOB. YEAH!

The COTT tag team titles move on to Team Sonic, the team of NYCW/PSW wrestlers Austin Smooth and Jackpot Jordan. What is a bit weird is that the two are not actually an active team in either PSW or NYCW (where the title change happened) but in OLLIE… where neither of them currently work? :iiam: Game, please don’t break apart.

I faintly remember Australian Devil having some sort of falling out with the DIW booker way, way back but it took up to this point for him to finally leave. Devil is an average, but inconsistent high flyer, so very much not APW material. He might get a few paydays losing in the pre-shows, who knows.

While SAISHO had agreed to take our wrestlers for excursions, I hadn’t agreed to do the same, until now. SAISHO gladly agree. They also currently don’t have any young lions on the roster, so we might be waiting for a while. (I don’t exactly need extra hands right now, this is more of a courtesy move on my part.)

July is a big tournament month in the world of pro wrestling as Sensational Dragon wins his fifth Super Juniors tournament in BHOTWG (the most in history), Alina America her third Queen of the Ring in QAW and Miller Fjorde and Copperhead win the prestigious Sam Keith Classic in memory of the deceased former MAW owner. It’s a first title win of any kind for Copperhead, while Fjorde completes a rare feat of having won every MAW title in his career.

Backstage happenings before the show include Jesse organizing a poker tournament and Dordevich sharing road stories Keep the harmony, boys and girls!

Lucas opens the show more serious than ever without Jesse by his side and dares Goliath Global to do the same to him. He goes as far as calling a tag title shot by himself. Goliath is more than happy to agree and Tate and Hamstead proceed to batter Lucas, barring a few hope spots (putting tag titles on the line in other than a tag match isn’t actually allowed in the game, but let’s ignore that for a second). Lucas might have a lot of fight in him, but it is not enough. Keenan and Laine have a rematch against The Apocalypse but come up just short once again as War just cannot be stopped. War shouts at Wayne afterwards, calling himself indestructible. Gilbert and Wasp have another tag match together, this time Wasp pulling off a surprise pinning combination that keeps Blithe down. Pinn doesn’t let this loss affect him as he sets the date for the unit disbands match at Championship Carnival. Lucketti and Legend have a singles match after the phone shenanigans last month with Legend winning a close contest. A big eight man tag has Wayne tag along with Mason and Energy against Forbes and Oliverio with the babyfaces triumphing. Harry “I love this man too much to keep him in the pre-show” Simonson cuts a promo on how his body is not the same it used to be but he will try his drat hardest to conquer a mountain top one last time. Coincidentally, Brisbane Devil retains yet again, this time in a four-way match. Aussie Rules match ends in a table bump much to the absolute horror of the audience as Monster's over-eagerness to deliver punishment is his downfall, giving Vortex enough time to blast him though a table. Devine seeks payback after Gerard’s betrayal in the last show and doesn’t buy Gerard feigning the same injurý in the early moments. Gerard ends up being the “better” man this time, hitting three finishers in a row just to prove a point. Main event also ends up being a four-way with Pinn, Boon and Macquarie challenging Mills. The Duo actively avoid each other with the match more or less devolving into two simultaneous singles matches. The former partners end up almost subconsciously connecting with one of their old tag team moves, but in the end it’s Mills who pins Pinn to retain.

Failure to Communicate’s status as our best show ever doesn’t last long, as Finest Hour does just a bit better with five(!) matches 60 or above, ending up as a 64!

- Apocalypse vs Keenan & Laine was seen just a few shows back in Queensland, but the results are MUCH better in our home base. While Cobra and Peverell are struggling a bit, Keenan and Laine are starting to really click with our audience.
- I’m beating Maniac Monster A LOT, but he has really developed a lot over the years. He came in as the worst performer of my first signing spree and is by far the most improved. He is very much still really green, which makes his efforts even more impressive.
- Gerard and Devine show why they still are absolute top guys in APW. While neither’s individual performance isn’t as high as the match rating ends up being, the hot storyline they are involved in makes this almost the match of the night (thanks Gilbert) and the second best match of the year not involving Gilbert (behind Mills/Boon). Gerard against Mills should be a banger. Devine’s role isn’t what it used to be, but he’s a guy I can count on in almost any situation.
- The main event was originally supposed to be a singles match between Pinn and Mills. Then my road agent informed me that Pinn could only go for about… six minutes before collapsing from exhaustion. With another four-way earlier in the card, I pulled together a four-way to keep the theme going. I promised to keep Boon and Mills apart for a while, but here they are again!

It’s actually our 50th show in this save, so we get a little prize: a User Talent point! I probably haven’t mentioned those since the first update, but yey! You gain one every fifty shows you run, up to the maximum of 15 extra points (alongside the 30 you allocate at the start). Let’s look at where we’ll put that point at the end of the update.

IPW starts a cooking show? Anything to get ahead in the West Coast War I suppose. Guy Fieri to recue the TV ratings?

Well, what do you know: Misery doesn’t love Company.

OLLIE, ravaged by talent raids is struck another blow as Hijo del Mephisto retires after his semi-severed spinal column took him out of action a year back. He is almost immediately inducted to OLLIE’s Hall of Fame. He was the last world champion of now defunct MPWF and a a three time OLLIE Campeanato de Universal, his last reign being cut short by the injury. The company itself is still thriving, as Mr. Lucha III (STILL a reigning trios champion) is having a career year as their biggest star.

Quick poll time: What should we put our single talent point in?

Negotiating: easier to persuade workers in contract negotiations

Motivating: wrestlers work harder and have less off-days

Creativity: higher chance that gimmick changes and turns are successful

Leadership: helps to keep the backstage happy, less negative incidents (what’s less than zero?)

Diplomacy: how workers respond to your handling of incidents (what are those)

Silver Tongue: better chance for workers to accept booking decisions, unmaskings, stunt bumps etc

Next time: Championship Carnival approaches, time to blow off some storylines!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Motivating seems the best choice