Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Ringo Roadagain posted:

calling it now AEW is going to do 1 million+ viewers on Wednesday because of Maki Itoh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

tony needs to chill it with his "nuh uh i did this on purpose actually this is how it was supposed to go" poo poo its honestly one thing that could really gently caress the whole thing up.

that wasnt the plan dude, mox bailed your rear end out on the faceplant, acting like its anything else just makes ALL YOUR EMPLOYEES look stupid.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

why my threads always get destroyed

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Thinking back on it the ending had some comedic timing to it, the dramatic countdown, the ex friend, the "explosion", the wait for the real explosion to go off as that little display was surely to fool everyone and lull people into a false sense of security before the big explosion and then slowly the realization dawns on the viewer that was it.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Tony officially downgraded from Big Biceps back to Coward, you hate to see it

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Hmmm...that ending seemed like it contained a lot of subtext

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

The Last Call posted:

Thinking back on it the ending had some comedic timing to it, the dramatic countdown, the ex friend, the "explosion", the wait for the real explosion to go off as that little display was surely to fool everyone and lull people into a false sense of security before the big explosion and then slowly the realization dawns on the viewer that was it.

the thing is they had it right when excalibur was explaining that at the end of the countdown all of the unexploded mines go off. because that's exactly what happened.

but during the match they had to repeatedly say "ring blow up", they had the dramatic rear end music for the ten minute warning, tony selling that he was making GBS threads his pants on commentary, the countdown, and then... fwip hissss

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

yea ok posted:

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

maybe the change to the thread title has confused some people, this thread is for laughing at a funny thing

if you are not laughing, do whatever you’re doing somewhere else!

to reiterate: ahahahaahahahahaha

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

shiksa posted:

tony needs to chill it with his "nuh uh i did this on purpose actually this is how it was supposed to go" poo poo its honestly one thing that could really gently caress the whole thing up.

that wasnt the plan dude, mox bailed your rear end out on the faceplant, acting like its anything else just makes ALL YOUR EMPLOYEES look stupid.

He's working, mark lol

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Vince MechMahon posted:

He's working, mark lol

goons working themselves into a shoot is a time honored tradition

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04F4xlWSFh0&t=47s

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Vince MechMahon posted:

He's working, mark lol

i mean i get it but like, everyone here looks like an idiot, big tk, myself, everyone, and to that i say lol

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

shiksa posted:

Tony's interviews are always a muddled mix of kayfabe and shoot, why would this one be any different? Of course he's going to follow Mox's lead, what did you expect, for him to say "Oh yeah, that was a total fuckup, thank god Moxley was able to come up with that great in-character explanation for our storyline being ruined by a special effects malfunction!"

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
they shouldve just played a spinal tap song for the outro over kingston covering mox

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sir Tonk posted:

they shouldve just played a spinal tap song for the outro over kingston covering mox

Next year they're gonna do a Stonehenge match. Where the druids dwell.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Riotgrrill posted:

not caremad

not at all

I like funny things happening and this was super funny on top of a great show so no I'm not i guess??

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Vince MechMahon posted:

id watch that

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

yea ok posted:

this is wrestlehut

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
forget it jake its wrestlehut

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

ill never stop giving it my all

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Fairly sure Kota Ibushi had bigger explosions in his own mouth at times.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

The whiplash from the great match to the setup of Moxley in the ring to Eddie coming out to saving him to the fizzled explosives and the announcers and Eddie selling them was one of the greatest things I'll ever witness.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
she’s my op AND my meltdown

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Lid posted:

Fairly sure Kota Ibushi had bigger explosions in his own mouth at times.

:chanpop:

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

If you replaced Kenny with Miro, Moxley with Chuck Taylor and Eddie with Orange Cassidy, it would have been the perfect ending as-is

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Crapple! posted:

If you replaced Kenny with Miro, Moxley with Chuck Taylor and Eddie with Orange Cassidy, it would have been the perfect ending as-is

lmfao yes im imagining it now

Riotgrrill
Sep 3, 2004

WatermelonGun posted:

this is wrestlehut

real old school poo poo right here

*sidestepping things that will usually go on pages*

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Vince MechMahon posted:

didnt they have one at the last wrestlemania with aj styles and taker

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

It was pretty funny.

I was incorrect to think that I could make it work in my own head canon, and gave that up as soon as Moxley made fun of it. Plus, I couldn't enjoy the memes if I ignored reality. And, when anything fucks up on a wrestling show, the initial memes are the saving grace.

My honest reaction that I typed live to someone during the match was that "This is the dumbest thing ever, but in a really good way." And then Eddie got me semi-emotional with his attempt to save Moxley, which isn't easy to do after decades watching. And then there was the great fizzle. And then, since I've never seen any matches of this type before, my friend sent me gifs of companies doing it better, and I was like oh.

It was a rollercoaster, basically.

I will ignore people who suck clowning it in unfunny ways like Cornette and Cornette, but I will take enjoyment from the many people who don't suck clowning it in funny ways. It sucks that it made some people feel bad, though.

---

As far as actually being disappointed in AEW, Ethan Page was much more of a disappointment. And, even then, there was an alleged pre-show link of Shamrock's tonytron on the big screen, so things could have been much worse.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
for better or worse, the wet fart explosion will be remembered longer and debated more intensely than if it had just been a decent/competent explosive effect at the end, everyone's probably feeling a bit exposed, but it's a live performance and you just roll with it, it literally won't matter after a few weeks

edit: but yes in that moment you should have been laughing until your face hurt, because it was funny

smarxist fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Mar 8, 2021

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

The explosions being poo poo isn't the problem so much as the selling of the explosions. Not that it's Eddie's fault. He was just doing his job/what he was told to do. But that's the part where I think this becomes creatively unsolvable. You just have to pretend he didn't do it I guess.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Crapple! posted:

The explosions being poo poo isn't the problem so much as the selling of the explosions. Not that it's Eddie's fault. He was just doing his job/what he was told to do. But that's the part where I think this becomes creatively unsolvable. You just have to pretend he didn't do it I guess.

No, that's pretty easy to clear up. Eddie was terrified that his friend was going to die and now he's pissed at Kenny for humiliating him.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Pylons posted:

No, that's pretty easy to clear up. Eddie was terrified that his friend was going to die and now he's pissed at Kenny for humiliating him.

Would the revision be that he passed out because he thought that they were going to die?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

collocation posted:

Would the revision be that he passed out because he thought that they were going to die?

Pretty much.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

It's the part where he keels over that's the problem. I guess he passed out from fear or something? It's a stretch, that's for sure. If they go down that route they should just get it over quickly and not mention it ever again

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

collocation posted:

That part can kinda just be ignored, but you can't ignore the patheticness of the sparklers and explosions. That's the thing everyone will remember more than Kingston's selling.

I think at the end of the day AEW has three options:
1) pretend the explosions actually WERE incredibly dangerous bombs that almost killed mox and eddie
2) completely ignore the end ever happened - focus on the bell to bell action. it was after all an incredibly violent spectacle and mox and kenny's work here shouldn't be ignored anyway.
3) try and work the limp ending into whatever story they had planned to begin with.

I think option 3 is the best option, but that's just me. If they're gonna go with Eddie vs Omega they kind of have to go with 3 because Eddie wasn't involved in the bell to bells stuff.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Crapple! posted:

It's the part where he keels over that's the problem. I guess he passed out from fear or something? It's a stretch, that's for sure. If they go down that route they should just get it over quickly and not mention it ever again

Maybe he can liken it to a drive-by? You put your head down and don't look up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Crapple! posted:

I was pretty entertained by the idea that someone jokingly had that he was drunk. That's probably too silly, but if they wanted to redo his big turn, they could have him say that he was blackout drunk and has no recollection of trying to help that fucker Moxley.