Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The GPU thread is heavily overmoderated. It goes from having a healthy discussion to half of the active members being suspended and no new posts happening for 24hours. Actual gpu news like AMD potentially making mining gpus is not being discussed because people fear the mods

Mining on GPUs is absolutely on topic in the GPU thread. The amount of new posters unaware of the unilaterally decided "no crypto" rule coming in to talk about it is proof of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

The GPU Thread is largely geared towards gaming not cryptographic mining. If we want to discuss that then I'd suggest that be it's own thread.

Its not geared towards gaming, you are looking at a many years old OP.

Its geared towards GPUs and whats being done with them. When mining was booming it was all mining chat related to how it affects gpus. Until recently there wasnt much mining going on and it was game chat all the time. Let the GPU thread be about GPUs

imagine trying to complain about how hard it is to get a gpu but not being allowed to talk about why its hard. Probably wouldnt make for a very good discussion. That is the gpu thread currently.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spunkshui posted:

Sure but it leads to pages of people discussing which coins they want to make a go up or down or whatever and no one wants to loving read that.

Cant there just be a cryptocurrency thread and then you guys can post about how you want to scalp cards or sell coins or find cheaper sources of electricity all day there?

seems like a strong reaction, what is this actually about and why are you so mad about fancy sand?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spunkshui posted:

I am not mad about fancy sand and this post confuses me.

Your words indicate hostility to individual posters. No one is arguing for "discussing which coins they want to make a go up or down or whatever"

Show me the post where this happened

I want GPU talk in the GPU thread with less restrictions. Bitcoin reaching 50k 100% has implications on the availability of gaming GPUS and you are delusional to think otherwise. 1/3 gpus I sell goes to a miner and i cant be the only one

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 9, 2021

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
as it stands now you are getting the modding that you asked for. People reported anything even remotely crypto and the mods responded.

Crypto discussion is generally happening when someone new pops in and brings it up. The same 3-4 people respond and it dies off. Just use the ignore function on those 3-4 people or live with the minor inconvenience of reading something you dont like.

It would help to know what the mods goals are.

If you want activity covering a broad range of gpu topics with variance of thought then less rules makes sense.

If you want an easy job of modding less posts while punishing anyone deviating from the group think, stay the course.

I already suggested mod protection of the mining thread to keep it troll-free and IE shot that down.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how about a car analogy? Its my car and i can do what I want with it.
If its an automotive thread and you are upset that i am enjoying my car wrong am I the bad guy?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i did not even know that thread existed. Sounds terrible, im in

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If the thread is about driving cars and you want to talk about putting your car on a treadmill and converting it to run on leaded gasoline 24/7 for some kind of personal gain then yeah, pretty much.

my tiny 2 gpus mining heats my house at the same efficiency as its central heating and its 100% powered by the solar system on the roof. Nice try amigo.

Its more like putting in on a treadmill for personal gain, full stop. Which is in fact totally ok. Leaded gasoline is attributing subjective opinions about its harm to others. Its my car, the law doesnt disallow turning it into some sort of stationary dynamo despite it not being its original intended purpose.

Mining and crypto can be handled responsibly and no one in the thread was encouraging anything else.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 10, 2021

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if no one steps up when you shut it down then you will end up diverting that traffic until you just have one megathread for all topics. How do you enforce a new OP being made if no one volunteers?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hifi posted:

as a reader the gpu thread sucks. cryptocurrencies have been the driver of the gpu shortage for... 6 months? more? and it hasn't changed so why talk about it continuously since.

the scalping sucked too. post about it in gbs or... coupons? wherever people post about their antisocial hustling activities.

you should look into a heat pump

It has been about 6 months and it has been changing constantly. Its always bad but sometimes its worse and there are reasons why. You wouldnt know that because the topic has been supressed.

No, an electrically powered heat pump is not more efficient than a pc operating in the room you want heated. Even more so if you already own the PC. Its capable of more work, but that is not needed.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i bought my current bike with crypto

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bloopsy posted:

Hell yeah time to start clowning on goons whining about how they can't buy their luxury video game toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inept posted:

I don't think making fun of that should be excluded either, but to me it's a curve. Someone sad that their card died and now they can't play games with their friends who they can't see due to covid is a lot different than someone lamenting that they're keeping their 2080 longer than they expected.

will you be heading the committee to decide who is not okay to rip on? Does every post need to be preceded by a justification?

Maybe less rules is the solution, not more.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)