Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Today I got an invoice!

It's from the guy who prepped the foundation. Only took two years! I remember I yelled at him as I was getting into the car (had to hurry away) to send an invoice soon ok? He's always slow as hell on this front but this is a new record, I even forgot it was hanging in the air.

But it was only 490€ which is fair for the work done. So I can total the cost for this shed around 4k then. So far.

Almost got it emptied out and lots of stuff moved to the garage temporarily. Need to build a lot of wall shelves so I can empty the floor standing shelf. Then I can start shoveling and prepping for concrete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Last day of my vacation today. I feel sad. 4 weeks wooshed by like nothing.

I have gotten so much less doen than I had planned this year, like 20% of what I had planned. I had originally planned to have the concrete stuff done in spring, but it's not even done yet. I was supposed to be working on putting insulation in the walls of the shed and putting up OSB by now. I was supposed to have finished my air compressor build, I was supposed to have built a small rain shelter for the robot mower, I was supposed to have....

Anyway this is the shed as of last night, I dug otu the gravel I put in, by hand mind you. Then I put in the insulation and then I used my laser level and saw it was out of level like hell. I had dug down to the foundations. Of course now I remember the foundations didn't turn out very level and I had to compensate for that when doing the leca blocks so they would be level at least.

So I ended up removing the insulation again, this time I used my laser level for the whole thing, I got the receiver for free as part of a bosch pro deal. I made that stand for it to make it stand on it's own and to measure a larger patch of ground in one go, or it would be too tedious.... Now the whole outside of the floor is within 1cm or so level. Good enough for me!

There are still gaps in the insulation and the middle of the floor needs more insulation and some leveling yet. I will have to buy another pack. When it's completed the edges will be 200mm thick and the middle 150mm thick. People have told me I am cheaping out on the insulation! But it's not even gonna be heated except possibly temporary using a diesel heater or something. I think it's good enough for a shed / woodworking shop.

I will also be gluing insulation to the walls, using the laser level to align them, they will be the sides of the concrete when I cast the slab, and the slab will not contact the walls, it will be floating.

The first reason was one week was spent on the road, doing a road trip with the family down in the Åland Islands, then we went further to Stockholm and drove through the swedish "high coast" up to Umeå before taking the ferry back.

But perhaps the bigger of the two reasons I got less done was that I boght a new car! Well new to me... it rolled off the Valmet factory in October... 1989! The 1990 model Saab 900 Turbo. This thing has taken a lot of my time, mostly just working on it for the fun of it, and driving it. It's gonna be My Summer Car. It's a big reason I want the slabs cast so I can clear out space in my garage, which will become a shop for metalworking and cars.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Well took a while, but finally, the slab is cast. Thank god I didn't attempt this on my own. I wasn't ready. I had help from a friend who is not a pro but has cast a few floor slabs. He worked on the right side, I on the left. Also glad I managed the ramp so I won't have a sudden ledge. Now to water it tomorrow and the next two days after that. And keep the cats out.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

His Divine Shadow posted:

I have gotten so much less doen than I had planned this year, like 20% of what I had planned. I had originally planned to have the concrete stuff done in spring, but it's not even done yet. I was supposed to be working on putting insulation in the walls of the shed and putting up OSB by now. I was supposed to have finished my air compressor build, I was supposed to have built a small rain shelter for the robot mower, I was supposed to have....

Good lord, do I feel this.

Also I just went back and looked at some of your original foundation/wall photos - And I realized that my default American calibration of studs = 16" on center is making me think this is quite a bit smaller than it actually is, in the latest photos.

Also also, I do not regret at all just paying a man to do my slab when I was making a small storage shed. I DIY'd as far as digging the hole before backing down.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It's 5x5 meters, 4,3 meters at it's tallest or 16.4 feet squared and 14 feet tall. Stud spacing is roughly 24 inches center to center.

I don't regret doing the slab myself, I saved many hundreds of euros and I learned a lot as well. But it's a two man operation regardless on this scale.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

What the floor turned out like after grinding it.

Not that nice looking, I didn't get all the concrete "skin" off. I was being murdered by the floor polisher, it was just uncontrollable, not like in the videos. This one used 12 grit sandpaper that grabbed the floor and you had to fight it all the way. I worked on it all night and was drenched in sweat when done and my arms and shoulders hurt for days. I tried all the ways you were supposed to control the machine, leaning it to either side or back and forth, no down pressure, lots of down pressure, slight lifting, but nothing made it any easier, like holding an angry bull by the horns. I wonder if something in the machine was't working properly or something. Or I am just a weakling baby.

Well it has to be good enough, it's level at least. I'll throw something on it to make it easier to keep clean.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
It’s easier if you don’t use it with the handles locked in the vertical position. :smuggo:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It wasn't vertical, but it was pretty high, chest height, I wasn't able to get it down further by loosening the adjustment screws, unless I missed something. I should also have done it within 24 hours apparently to not let the concrete harden too much.

I'm satisfied with it I guess. I got the worst ridges and stuff so it's pretty even and flat now, things will roll easily on it.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 20, 2023

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Yeah there must be a Goldilocks zone - when I got my garage floor poured the contractors all left - leaving one behind overnight who started polishing at 5am the next morning

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Well I've treated the floor with some stuff that makes it easier to sweep, kinda has a shine to it from the right angles. I think that's good enough. Time's running out, I need to be getting stuff OUT from the garage so I can put my Saab in there for the winter.

So I've started moving things already despite not having the OSB purchased for the walls, or any insulation. Which I don't have the money for either so it won't happen anytime soon. I'll have to focus instead on closing up the eaves whch are open and also make the doors more airtight. Just to keep the outside air from bringing in too much moisture. So much work left but no money.... I could get so much more done so much faster if I could just afford to buy everything I need at once. But the concrete truck wiped out my budget, probably nothing happening here expense wise until after new years and lol that's after christmas.

Weird rear end looking floor, dark spots are where the floor treatment hasn't fully cured yet. Don't got no spare time here to be waiting for stuff to happen in proper order... Today I'm gonna try and move the table saw.

I don't even have any electrics so I won't be able to use this place, just as well I don't make more of a mess before I gotta start with the OSB. I need to retthink the lower line of shelves on the left side too, they take too much space. Plan was to build a lean-to roof on the backside of the shed to make a rain proof but sort of open place to store all the blacksmithing stuff in, and general storage. Didn't even have time to think of that.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 24, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Well that went a lot easier than I thought it would. Table saw moved. My 2 ton hoist keeps being one of my better investments. And the modifications I did to the base keeps being useful. It's so much more useful than a normal hoist.

Basically table saw onto trailer, balanced on the axle. Easy peasy moving the saw to the shed. Moving the hoist was a bit of a PITA however.

Garage getting emptier:

I can probably do the same with the bandsaw. Though I will be removing the table, the wheels and the enclosures. Might have to lay it down on it's side but should be doable with the hoist.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Today I tackled the bandsaw, over the week I disassembled as much as I could from it to make it smaller and easier to handle.

I attached some pieces of wood for the saw to lie on before starting to tip it over.

I slowly lowered the saw down on it's side, this was a buttclenching operation but it went well.

Then I spent a lot of time getting it up on the trailer

And balancing it on the axle as last time, it was pretty easy to move despite the frame only being more heavy than the table saw. I have no idea how heavy it is though, heard theories from 400 to 600kg.

And in the shed, getting it off the trailer was easier even though both the loading and unloading took an hour each.

And lifting it back up and putting the feet back on. I think that's the best place for it. Now to start reassembling the saw. Not looking forward to getting the table back on.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
It’s good you got the shed exterior finished and stuff moved. When does it get cold in your area, and when is snow expected?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Hard to tell anymore. We've already had nightfrost a few times, but then we've also had days that a lot warmer than usual. Temps even went over 20C last week which is not normal. I'd say you cold expect regular snow sometime in october or november, but nowadays who knows?

Still cyclone needs disassembling still and many other things, I need to get the shed more weather proof, the eaves are sort of open so the wind can blow in there. The doors as well have big gaps but that will be easier to fix and they where designed to be turned into sealed doors. It's not that I want to heat the place but I wanna be able to keep the inside drier than the outside. Maybe fit a dehumidifier, one of those that can run at low temps.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
hej from northern norway. How did the shed do over winter?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

The shed itself is fine. Had temps down to -32C this winter, which then switched to above freezing temps in a day.

I've suffered rust on exposed cast iron surfaces despite waxing them. I found that some sheet metal I got stored up in the "rafters" got frost and then it melted and dripped on the machines. Parts I had covered with something turned out just fine so I think that's the trick, cover the machines. And just wax isn't enough, they need to be oiled and covered with something like a fabric cover. I found a piece of foam insulation on top also works well to protect the cast iron.

I don't have the inside sealed up well enough so moisture makes its way in too easily. I taped up half of the shed including the eaves but I haven't had the motivation to do the other side after I ran out of the expensive tape.

Good thing I decided to leave my main lumber store in the heated garage.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
So I guess it's at least the rump of winter in Finland. What are the plans for the shed?
Also, I have a question since you're in Scandinavia: The ceramic stoves called kakelugn (or their relatives), does just one heat a whole house, or are there multiple ones in a home? Just curious, though I had seen some very nice ones online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Mostly backburner plans for that now, the idea was putting OSB inside but we'll see if I have time for that. The prioritized project now is to build a deck with a roof. I've been working on plans for it, made a replica of my house in CAD using the original blueprints, been working on that on and off since 2020.