Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Hey we made the papers!
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...hemed-spin.html

There were absolutely *loads* of people this year, 300 "tickets" sold and probably a bunch of people that didn't buy one and turned up anyway.

It wasn't too horrifically slow either, there were so many of us we blocked so many junctions at once that we basically had a rolling roadblock and managed to keep moving.

That’s so dope. This is so much cooler than when NYC gets mobbed with Santas during Santa Con (which is awful garbage)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hey we made the papers!
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...hemed-spin.html

There were absolutely *loads* of people this year, 300 "tickets" sold and probably a bunch of people that didn't buy one and turned up anyway.

It wasn't too horrifically slow either, there were so many of us we blocked so many junctions at once that we basically had a rolling roadblock and managed to keep moving.
neat

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Just got my first inline skates - Roces Weft Threads. I had to buy online because nowhere local had my size.

I'm having trouble because I seem to excessively supernate. My wife commented that it looks like the frames are actually bending when I put my weight on them. Is this normal?

For reference I'm 198cm tall and weigh 118kg

mystes
May 31, 2006

You definitely supinate and not pronate?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Yeah supinate.

I'm trying to transition from duck walk to longer strides and when I push my foot rolls over to the outside edge. I moved the frames as much to the outside edge as I can. Even so, it takes non-zero effort on the outside of my feet to keep them above the wheels when standing still.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think it's much more common for beginners to pronate so I'm not totally sure.

Are you sure they aren't too big? Are your feet moving around at all?

If you're sure they fit correctly, you might just need to keep practicing. You might be better off with hardboot skates with more ankle support, though.

When you push that's also an issue of where your foot is positioned under you, but that doesn't explain why you do it when you're standing still. How far apart are your feet when it happens when you're standing still?

mystes fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 14, 2024

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Soft boot and plastic frame imo, I'm guessing those frames can't be moved on the boot either otherwise you could shift them out a bit.

mystes
May 31, 2006

They said they moved the frames so I'm assuming they're a metal frame rather than a permanently attached plastic one. The frames on the image that comes up if I google image search that model don't seem to be as thick as the ones e.g. rollerblade brand skates come with but they still shouldn't bend under normal use so I'm slightly confused about that part.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Oh right didn't see that bit. Looks like they are plastic frames though the description on the company website seems a bit inconsistent.

I'm guessing you must be putting your weight through the outside of your foot, maybe have the frame at an angle instead of just all the way out to the side would help?

Really, though, I feel like the plastic cuff is a bigger problem as it's not going to hold your ankle locked upright.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

They're not metal frames and the heel doesn't move but there's about 10mm of available movement at the toe end.

mystes posted:

I think it's much more common for beginners to pronate so I'm not totally sure.

Are you sure they aren't too big? Are your feet moving around at all?

If you're sure they fit correctly, you might just need to keep practicing. You might be better off with hardboot skates with more ankle support, though.

When you push that's also an issue of where your foot is positioned under you, but that doesn't explain why you do it when you're standing still. How far apart are your feet when it happens when you're standing still?

The boots are pretty snug, but they are soft, which might be part of the problem. I don't feel as 'attached' to the wheels as I feel I should be, if that makes sense.

Standing still, I need my feet about hip width to feel balanced without fighting supination.

Thinking about it, doing backwards and forwards 'lemons' inside on a hard floor seems more intensive than it should, too.

mystes
May 31, 2006

oh weird I've never heard of a design with adjustable plastic frames. I realize it's hard if you can't return stuff but you might want to try hardboot skates first to compare before putting in a lot of effort thinking about this

how far apart are your feet normally when you're standing still when you do have the supination problem? I would be interested in seeing a video or something of how you're skating because I'm just curious how you have your legs and your weight positioned so that it's easy to end up supinating since most beginners end up tending to have their legs kind of wide with their weight in the center which usually forces them to pronate

not that pronation is good either, but do you end up pronating if your feet are wider?

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 14, 2024

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Probably should try quads. :colbert:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Lol, grew up in the eighties, going to roller rinks. I very nearly went quads this time.

Maybe a walkman and some short shorts.

Or full Rollerball.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Well, mystery solved, kind of.

Figured out that my feet naturally supinate, plus I rolled my right ankle pretty badly about 25 years ago (jumped down a flight of stairs and didn't quite clear the last one).

Its never been an issue, so my body has corrected well enough for the past two decades, but just so happens I don't have the muscles to keep my foot flat when balancing on wheels.

I've jammed half an insole in the boot to attempt to compensate and I've taped my ankle, which helps a lot, but I still have to skate knock-kneed to get anywhere. Its hard to balance on one skate like that, so I'm a bit limited at the moment.

I'm booked into see a podiatrist in March, so hopefully that'll cast some more light on my feet. I might try some shims in the meantime as well.

In the meantime, practising strides, lemons and carving I guess!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I've been looking at getting some 4x90s for ages and have just lucked into a second hand set of endless 90/110 es frames with wheels for pretty close to the RRP of the frames alone, clearly this is a sign.

Only problem is that my spare boots are slightly too big for me (bought them comfortable and of course then they wore in) so looks like I might as well get a new pair of those as well, what a shame!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
It's 8am, the ground is dry, I'm taking a bong hit and going loving skating ya'll.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Hell yeah

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
It was good. Real good.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
drat it. Showering and going again. Tough day.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Literally A Person posted:

drat it. Showering and going again. Tough day.
Why would you shower before skating?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

mystes posted:

Why would you shower before skating?

Too smelly from skating.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I am barely above last year's "nothing from November to March" so far, I've managed one Friday night street skate. I haven't even managed to try the new frames I bought as it's been wet every weekend and dark every night.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I lucked out and got 2-3 skates in recently during fairly nice weather between covid and snow

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
SKATING TIME YOU SKATING rear end MOTHERFUCKERS YAS

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
And indeed it was skating time and they rejoiced despite their sore quads and messed up rear end feet.

Literally A Person fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 23, 2024

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Friend broke a rib on the London Friday skate last week, caught a drain cover that had sunk down leaving a 1 inch drop with a metal edge and went straight over into the road, think his arms got slammed into him hard enough to break the rib. Plus grazes/cuts on the arms. Ouch.

Like 10 mins from the end as well, so yet again I fail to finish as I stopped to help him to the station!

And then it rained again all weekend so I *still* haven't tried the 90mm frames properly!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Rib injuries loving suuuuuck.

On an unrelated note: going skating today, ya'll.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I’ve been on baby layoff for a couple of months now. First forays back on the bike have been rough, not looking forward to what’s going to hurt when back on skates

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
E: baby, not injury lol

Congrats, enjoy 6 minutes of not-baby time.

Literally A Person fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 23, 2024

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
brb figuring out how to attach a baby trailer to me while skating

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Skating in the park with my kid's stroller was what got me back into skating after like a 5 year hiatus. :haibrow:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Yeah pushing them on skates owns. "Running" pram with a lockable front wheel is what you need!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Yeah pushing them on skates owns. "Running" pram with a lockable front wheel is what you need!

If you can find them the BOB ironman stroller goes for like $40 bucks used and kicks extremely major rear end

....God I'm old.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Double skate Thursday. Double skate Friday. Going to the rink tomorrow.

It's skating season, my dudes.

:getin:

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Quick street skate tonight, the season is fast approaching and my god I'm still fat from Christmas.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Banano posted:

Quick street skate tonight, the season is fast approaching and my god I'm still fat from Christmas.

Boost on the downhills though!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Boost on the downhills though!

lol

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
New wheels (:siren::stoked::siren:) showed up yesterday:

Need metallic gold laces now. My kid decided he wanted my old Bont's so he's been getting to learn how to do a bunch of maintenance and, unsurprisingly, he loves it. Getting to play with tools and getting greasy speaks to the kid.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

ordered some skates to skate for the first time in, uh, 25 years.

wow, i'm old.

hoping not to eat poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

The 20 minutes I've managed to spend on these endless 90mm frames has been pretty good, waaaaay less clipping one into the other when doing crossovers than I'd have expected from having a much longer frame and very stable from the overall length. They feel faster as well but it was a windy day so harder to judge that properly.

The seba hi lights I got off the same guy are just uncomfortable though which is a shame so I've swapped the frames back to my older FR1s that are a little big but fine. Weirdly though when switching them the frames seemed to clamp the wheels a bit which is strange.