Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Parrotine posted:

Maybe someone can help me out here. I'm looking for a gold colored skate helmet, real simple stuff, looks like this:

Yet despite my digging around I can't for the life of me find anything out there that has this, whether it be brick-and-mortar stores or online which surprised the hell out of me. Everywhere I look that features one or something similar says Out of Stock, and the few that I do find are just props that don't offer any real protection. Any suggestions or advice on how to track one down?

You might try looking up local (not necessarily local to you) shops, but skating gear hasn't been immune to covid shortages so you might be out of luck. You could buy a white helmet and spray paint it, but you have to be careful about not getting any paint on the foam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I tested out the new wheels I put on my skates in the driveway and they didn't fall off! I'm not pretty stable and my ankles are super weak. I knew that though. I was on them for maybe a minute or two and my ankles were sore. Yikes.

The weather is finally nice so I'll be going to a nice paved trail around a lake soon. That's where I'll test my might.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Ow

Although drafting a group of bikes for five miles was fun, even if they were slowing me down giving me a good pace

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

dupersaurus posted:

You might try looking up local (not necessarily local to you) shops, but skating gear hasn't been immune to covid shortages so you might be out of luck. You could buy a white helmet and spray paint it, but you have to be careful about not getting any paint on the foam

I finally managed to find it! My Legends of the Hidden Temple theme is complete!

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Omg that's incredible

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's awesome.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

:vince:

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

dupersaurus posted:

Anybody have opinions on knee pads? Last year I learned the hard way that mine won't stay on when skidding on them. And maybe get a skating helmet. Oh and my fast skates could probably use some new wheels...

For your kneepads (and inline gear in general) the best thing you can do is try on the pads before buying them to make sure they fit. Barring that, it's very important to use the manufacturer's sizing charts. Websites will have their own sizing charts that may or may not be what the manufacturer actually recommends and you'll end up with a loose or uncomfortably tight fit!

This is quadruple important when buying skates online because the sizing chart the manufacturer uses may not be at all relevant to shoe size- but frontend stores sometimes still only contain sizing in terms of shoe size. I got burned on this when I bought a pair of FRX 80's a little over a year ago and had to send them back and use the proper size chart.

If you're finding that you're slipping out of your knee pads you might want to look into knee gaskets. You can put these inside the pad and they help maintain grip.

As for wheels, you can't go wrong with the 'Rollerblade Hydrogen' wheels:

https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Rollerblade_Hydrogen_Inline_Wheels/descpage-17HW.html

They come in all the standard wheel sizes and are good performance/cost ratio. Most people online think of the hydrogens as the 'must buy' for anyone looking for a brand of wheel to get. I'm only rolling these right now. Bones 'Reds' bearings are also a good 'basic' pick if you need bearings.

Oh and everyone should get something like this too probably:

https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Sonic_Pro_Skate_Tool/descpage-SPT.html

This tool will complete 95% of all basic maintenance tasks for your skates and is infinitely handy to have.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I almost forgot the Blue Barricuda!

Ya I dunno, kind of a weirdo

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Oh wow I can't believe this thread exists and I didn't know it! Rollerblading goons!!!

Here's my things:

Broskow has the best parts to watch, so calming, he has absolutely zero unnecessary movement, just fast and chill

The new Danny Beer video is super good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sObeW0UbxIs

that LotHT helmet/tshirt set is absolutely balls out amazing, but where are you going to find large khaki shorts??>!

e: also dupersaurus we live v close so lmk if u ever wanna do a goon skate!

black.lion fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 11, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
=O

https://i.imgur.com/237dsbN.mp4

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Aaah, yes! Just discovered this thread too. I got back into rollerblading in 2018 after a 20 year hiatus. It's been such a positive addition to my life I honestly can't believe it. I've lost weight, made friends and had a ton of fun. I mostly enjoy low-impact aggressive skating but I've been playing around with bigger wheels too.

I film myself a lot and sharing stuff on Instagram has been a little bonus hobby (my username is @safetygrab).

Right now I'm pushing myself fairly hard to put together a little 3 minute edit. I've never felt so tired.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

black.lion posted:

e: also dupersaurus we live v close so lmk if u ever wanna do a goon skate!

missed the edit, NC club! :hf:

Tenterhooks posted:

Aaah, yes! Just discovered this thread too. I got back into rollerblading in 2018 after a 20 year hiatus. It's been such a positive addition to my life I honestly can't believe it. I've lost weight, made friends and had a ton of fun. I mostly enjoy low-impact aggressive skating but I've been playing around with bigger wheels too.

I film myself a lot and sharing stuff on Instagram has been a little bonus hobby (my username is @safetygrab).

Right now I'm pushing myself fairly hard to put together a little 3 minute edit. I've never felt so tired.

Old guy club! :hf: I've been considering taking my small(er) wheels to the skate park and making a fool of myself in front of the children

(also following the rad illustration)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Tenterhooks posted:

Wow that's pretty cool. I am still working on not falling while going in a straight line.

I haven't skated this year yet but it'll be coming soon.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Tenterhooks posted:

My man! I'm in similar boat, I did aggressive when I was young and bouncy but now 20 years later all I have the courage for is wizard/mushroom type stuff - I really want to start filming my sessions like on your insta (followed btw), what camera do you use if you dont mind me asking?

I want to get an Insta360 One X2 but my wife would stab me if she found out I spent that much on a selfie stick so I can show people how I wheelie around parking lots in my free time

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

black.lion posted:

I really want to start filming my sessions like on your insta (followed btw), what camera do you use if you dont mind me asking?

Hey. Thanks! I just use my iPhone. I sit it pretty far away and then zoom in / pan around using Final Cut when I get home. It's not ideal but the best camera is the one that's with you blah blah. Most important thing I've found is to make sure to give enough room for the take off and landing. A common self-filming crime is when people just show their boots zipping along the middle of a ledge with no context. The start and end is where the style is (or isn't).

Have considered 360 cams. The footage has a definite look to it that I'm not sure I like but I bet it'd be fun as hell to play with one.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Man your iPhone camera is nice, I have a Galaxy S8 that is on its last legs, my camera is like looking through a pinhole during a heavy rainstorm - Oh well I guess that means I JUST HAVE TO BUY the extremely expensive selfie stick 360 camera THERE IS NO OTHER OPTION OH WELL :homebrew:

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

black.lion posted:

Man your iPhone camera is nice, I have a Galaxy S8 that is on its last legs, my camera is like looking through a pinhole during a heavy rainstorm - Oh well I guess that means I JUST HAVE TO BUY the extremely expensive selfie stick 360 camera THERE IS NO OTHER OPTION OH WELL :homebrew:

is there any kind of drone camera that can be set up to automatically follow at a distance/angle? what I'm picturing is maybe some way to "lock" it on me, perhaps a visual cue like two or three tracking dots on my helmet, and then setting it to follow those from ten feet up / ten feet behind. Now that I'm typing it out it sounds very sci-fi but I've been wrong before.

Also if anyone has a link to the extremely expensive selfie stick camera, I'm interested. Are those the ones that automatically "erase" the stick? I've seen skate videos where it appears as if someone is holding onto nothing to film, I assume that's some kind of post-processing?

mystes
May 31, 2006

vonnegutt posted:

Also if anyone has a link to the extremely expensive selfie stick camera, I'm interested. Are those the ones that automatically "erase" the stick? I've seen skate videos where it appears as if someone is holding onto nothing to film, I assume that's some kind of post-processing?
That type of video is produced by 360 cameras like the insta360 series, although I honestly don't completely understand how that makes the stick invisible.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

vonnegutt posted:

is there any kind of drone camera that can be set up to automatically follow at a distance/angle? what I'm picturing is maybe some way to "lock" it on me, perhaps a visual cue like two or three tracking dots on my helmet, and then setting it to follow those from ten feet up / ten feet behind. Now that I'm typing it out it sounds very sci-fi but I've been wrong before.

This technology does exist but I'm only aware of the one my drone has. It'll follow the remote around (maybe just my phone). So if I'm holding it and running around it'll follow me but there is a lag time. There's probably some advanced drone out there that could do what you want if my cheapish drone has that.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14AhUiJhQCU

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
^^ the distance he covers in the time is just mad. As a quad skater I'm jealous of how much easier inlines can cope with lovely surfaces (not trying to take anything away, this guy gets mad love from quad skaters a million times better than me).

I tried doing the southbank embankment from vauxhall to the tate modern (the art museum he gets to at about 19:34) the other day and it toook the best part of an hour, with many baby giraffe moments and was a generally miserable experience :(

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Yeh I know there are big wheel quads out there but certainly not THAT big, 100mm quads would be so unwieldy

I'm jelly you have a big cool city to skate in tho :(:hf::(

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

sex excellence posted:

As for wheels, you can't go wrong with the 'Rollerblade Hydrogen' wheels:

https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Rollerblade_Hydrogen_Inline_Wheels/descpage-17HW.html

They come in all the standard wheel sizes and are good performance/cost ratio. Most people online think of the hydrogens as the 'must buy' for anyone looking for a brand of wheel to get. I'm only rolling these right now. Bones 'Reds' bearings are also a good 'basic' pick if you need bearings.

I'm trying to find 80mm 85As because I'll need to replace my wheels soon, but everything looks sold out on the stores I've used before and the one you linked is out too. Any other recommendations on stores/brands to look for?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mauser posted:

I'm trying to find 80mm 85As because I'll need to replace my wheels soon, but everything looks sold out on the stores I've used before and the one you linked is out too. Any other recommendations on stores/brands to look for?
The Inline Warehouse branded wheels are rebranded Powerslide and they're probably acceptable quality if you need replacement wheels right now, although I haven't specifically tried them: https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/IW_Hurricane_Urban_Wheel/descpage-IW5SW.html (I think I actually have a set lying around I bought earlier but I've mostly been skating 110mm)

Hydrogens are really good but they're pricey enough that I would only buy them on sale. There are plenty of other things like Rollerblade Supreme and most other legit brands that are still decent.

Also you realize that 85A is just the durometer (hardness) so you don't necessarily have to replace your wheels with the exact same number (although most wheels for normal outdoor use will be around 85A-86A anyway) right?

mystes fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 14, 2021

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Yeah, my current ones are actually 84A, so anything in that range and I am looking for something that's not going to fall apart immediately, but I don't need ultra expensive either. First time replacing wheels!

I'll check out the hydrogen ones if I can find them somewhere else. Only available ones on that site are too big unfortunately

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I just got back from a skate and thought "Huh, I wonder if there's a thread about it? I should start one!" And look what I found!

I started a few years back (4? 5? Don't remember) after seeing one of the big London group skates go past and thinking "that looks fun" and it was!

Pre covid, this time of year there'd be 3 big group skates going from 7 up to 15 ish miles at varying speeds so I've missed a whole year of that and been solo only. One of them has *just* started up again, though now I have a babby so I can't quite as easily get out on them all the time.

Anyway, I started on K2 soft boots, moved to some rollerblade twisters which really didn't fit me, sold them for a bargain to someone and switches to FR1s which are superb. Now have some FR310s as well which I'm starting to lean towards for the smoother ride.

I might do a moderate effort post on pads (I've tried loads trying to find a pair that I like) later, plus, if anyone is in or near London I'll drop the links to various groups etc.

Also I semi know this guy from the group skates and he is seriously good:

He teaches with London Skate Life I think.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 24, 2021

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I love my FR1s and I just recently cleaned all the bearings and relubed them and let me tell you that it is not fun at all and I do not like it one bit. Also, it seems like if I tighten the bolts on the wheels they're noticeably less spinny then if I leave it a little loose on a couple of them. Haven't had any issues with leaving them this way, but it bothers me

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Mauser posted:

I love my FR1s and I just recently cleaned all the bearings and relubed them and let me tell you that it is not fun at all and I do not like it one bit. Also, it seems like if I tighten the bolts on the wheels they're noticeably less spinny then if I leave it a little loose on a couple of them. Haven't had any issues with leaving them this way, but it bothers me

Are speed washers a thing for inlines? Because they are for quads but a surprising amount of quad skaters don’t know about them.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Banano posted:

Are speed washers a thing for inlines? Because they are for quads but a surprising amount of quad skaters don’t know about them.

In theory they shouldn't be needed because they're moulded to the frames (my FR1s are like this I think), but it absolutely is possible to over tighten and clamp the frame onto the bearings then onto the spacers between them and create friction.

That said, I think the bolts/axles should be machined so that there isn't any more thread to clamp them past the intended amount so uuhhhhh maybe something has gone wrong there?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mauser posted:

Try removing and reinserting the bearings on the wheels that have this problem. Also make sure the bearings are fully seated in the wheels.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

mystes posted:

Try removing and reinserting the bearings on the wheels that have this problem. Also make sure the bearings are fully seated in the wheels.

I went to go try this, but they're all spinning great now after some skating yesterday and they're all really tight now as well on their own, so problem solved :iiam:

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

My friend recommended Labeda Asphault wheels as a replacement for my current ones, since they're reasonably priced for a set of eight: https://labeda.com/products/asphalt-orange-85a/

I also ordered a couple sets from skatepro.com of the same kind that came with my skates, the FR street invader IIs, and I'm gonna try out 3x80mm with a 76mm wheel on the front and see how I like it

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's been like 18 years since I was last on inline skates. I was never any good, and the last time ended badly enough that I never laced em on again. But my partner used to really love it, misses it, and I'd love to give it another try with her instruction. Really I just need to learn how to stop :lol: .

Since her K2's finally wore out a couple years ago, and I've always dreamed of K2's, we went shopping today to try and glean the last remaining stocks of skates in these crazy times. Somehow we both lucked out in getting a pair of the exact skates we wanted.

I got a pair of those, and she got the womens version. I wish I could have gotten the pink colorways of hers, but orange does just fine. I tried every skate in that store that was remotely my size, and they all felt terrible in some way or another. On a whim I asked for a size greater than my measurements, since I have wide feet. Lo and behold they had a pair of LT100's in that size, and it fit. I mean, I guess they need to break in or something because they still feel really stiff and I'm used to a roomier toebox on my motoboots.

Either way, they were the only ones I put on and I felt confident on my feet and didn't want to take off. We have a bunch of paved greenways in ATL that I cannot wait to go check out. Hopefully with all the pads and such I intend to wear I won't die.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Congrats! I would recommend going somewhere nice and flat and smooth while you're still getting back into it. I found up and downhill to be kind of challenging until I was more steady on my feet.

Also, the pads don't make falling painless, but they really do take the sting out of it. I can still remember pretty vividly the feeling of the impact on my elbow without pads ringing through my bones while none of the falls with pads have been memorable. I see people at the park who are clearly on the skates for the first time and no helmet, no pads and it's really worrying to see them stumble around.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Not a lot going on in this thread so excuse the double-post, but I got my order of wheels from skatepro.com. I placed the following order of some blue and some green street invader IIs to replace my current wheels on my FR1 and would recommend!

Ordered:
2x76mm green, 6x80mm green, 8x80mm blue

I received :confuoot:
4x76mm green, 6x80mm green, 9x80mm blue

In other news, I've been throwing myself horizontally into sideways slides learning to hockey stop and I've gotten pretty good! Current practicing involves skating backwards and transitioning between forwards and backwards while moving and it's ongoing. Any tips are welcome. I should probably consult a youtube video

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I've been on and off trying those myself, but I find I can only do it either on a smooth surface or by accident (and then catch myself out by stopping too fast), I haven't yet quite got the proper muscle memory to do it.

Basically that means I need to specifically practice rather than just going out and hammering 10 miles as fast as I can then stopping because I'm tired.

In my case, a sharp parallel turn seems to do the trick but it feels like it only works if I use my weaker side which makes no sense.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I haven't mastered the hockey stop yet and I've been doing it on rough street pavement. I would never trust doing this on a new surface because it requires me several tries to build up to it until I can gauge that slipping point and even then it's a matter of whether I'm going to lean too light or too hard as to whether I just get into a sharp turn or fall down sliding respectively. I should go to a tennis court sometime and try it out.

Partial rocker setup is fun and definitely teaches you some good habits. I didn't realize how much weight I was putting on my toes until I tried to do a lap with an undersized wheel in front and now I'm on my heels 100% of the time

mystes
May 31, 2006

In case anyone else has been looking for any deals on 110mm wheels since there's been fairly limited selection for the last year, I noticed that Proskater's Place has a two pack of powerslide wheels for $11.47 ($5.74 per wheel): https://proskatersplace.com/shop/inline-skates/inline-skate-wheels/powerslide-swell-wheels-white-110mm-86a/ which is the cheapest I've seen in a while.

They're in Canada but they have free shipping if you spend $100 and they don't charge tax if you're in the US. They don't have a deal on bearings if you get wheels like Inline Warehouse though.

I've been skating on 4x110 frames recently so I wanted to buy new wheels before I actually need them because the price difference ends up being insane. (I think my current wheels are hydrogens that I got from Amazon Warehouse but I've kind of been turned off Amazon Warehouse since I recently got some bearings that appear to be fake or rather maybe someone just carefully reinserted other crappy bearings back into the package)

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

That is pretty cheap. I don't need 110mm replacements yet, but will eventually, and I need to get my wife some new bearings so might as well. Are there any bearings on that site you can recommend? Doesn't have to be anything too fancy.