Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mauser posted:

That is pretty cheap. I don't need 110mm replacements yet, but will eventually, and I need to get my wife some new bearings so might as well. Are there any bearings on that site you can recommend? Doesn't have to be anything too fancy.
I ordered some twincam ilq 7 bearings (which are supposed to be roughly equivalent to abec 7 bearings) because I think I've had good luck with twincam bearings before but I haven't tried the exact model proskaterplace had before (they have removable metal shields with c clips, which is a style I've never tried).

Bearings are weird because supposedly things like the differences between abec ratings should be negligible for skating but there are also tons of garbage bearings out there if you buy random no name ones of Amazon or something. I don't really like to buy expensive ones because it feels like inevitably I'll end up skating through a puddle or something the day I install them, but I'm sick of my bearings constantly being terrible.

I'm also thinking of trying leaving the seal on the inside side of the bearings off and seeing if that makes it faster to clean them.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Do you actually fully dismantle your bearings to clean? I've just put a bit of oil in the edges where the circlip is and spun them a bit and it seems to have worked fairly well.

Someone once told me that once you actually dismantle then and rebuild you're basically condemning yourself to having to keep doing it every few weeks because the shield will never go back on right and they'll get 20x more dirt in them.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think once you actually get water or crud in your bearings you pretty much have no choice since otherwise they'll become completely unusable, but if you're skating in good conditions all the time just adding lube and then throwing them out when they get bad might very well be a reasonable approach.

I've gotten better at removing the rubber seals but it still may be true that repeatedly removing and reinserting them will inevitably damage them a little bit.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

mystes posted:

I ordered some twincam ilq 7 bearings (which are supposed to be roughly equivalent to abec 7 bearings) because I think I've had good luck with twincam bearings before but I haven't tried the exact model proskaterplace had before (they have removable metal shields with c clips, which is a style I've never tried).

Thanks for the recommendation. I just ordered some.

My current bearings have the metal shield thing and they're a pain to disassemble until you figure it out at which point it requires like zero effort.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Do you actually fully dismantle your bearings to clean? I've just put a bit of oil in the edges where the circlip is and spun them a bit and it seems to have worked fairly well.

Someone once told me that once you actually dismantle then and rebuild you're basically condemning yourself to having to keep doing it every few weeks because the shield will never go back on right and they'll get 20x more dirt in them.

After pretty much daily skating for ~two months some of my wheels would quickly come to a stop if you spun them with your hand, so I took them apart, soaked them in degreaser for a bit, re-lubed, put everything back and now they spin forever, just like new. Probably wasn't super necessary, but they'll most likely last longer if they've got less grime grinding down the balls inside.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
get the bones cleaning bottle or similar knockoff, take the bearing shields off, stick them in and give them 3 good 90 second shakes with fresh rubbing alcohol each time. I've gone to the trouble of completely disasembling my bearings (cages and balls out) and it's just not worth the extra effort. Putting oil on the outside is madness, you're just creating a trap for dirt. If you've got those sealed type bearings there's not much else you can do with them - you can buy bones reds or similar for really not much money and they'll be way better.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you have the cheap ones with crimped on seals you can actually just remove one side (stick in just the very tip of a utility knife and pet up and if it doesn't pop out then there should be room to stick in a thin screwdriver and pop it off) and clean them. It's actually not that hard, although if you've never done it before you have a decent chance of destroying at least one bearing in the process.

I don't think the bones bottle does that great a job compared to just submerging loose bearings in slightly larger gladware container or something and I think you have to soak them longer after shaking to really get them clean, although it depends on what lube you're using (I guess if you're using sewing machine oil or something it will be faster but I use 3-in-1).

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 24, 2021

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I need to replace my wheels and bearings but maybe I’ll just get new skates instead

mystes
May 31, 2006

Do both, imo

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Looking to get new skates and I can't decide between these two. Anyone have specific advice between them? I'm upgrading from old 4x90 entry-level speed skates

https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Rollerblade_E2_110/descpage-RBE210.html
https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Powerslide_Arise_RD/descpage-904582.html

Rollerblade pros:
- Option to upgrade to 125s is nice to have, although I don't know if I really need it
- Compatible with my current frames so I could swap if-needed
- Longer frames; most of my routes are pretty straight and I go down some pretty big hills

Powerslide pros:
- Look a hell of a lot cooler

mystes
May 31, 2006

Are you looking to get into speed skating (since you're looking at these in between skates with removable cuffs)? I don't know much about that. You're describing your current skates as "entry level speed skates" but I'm not sure if you mean something like "fitness skates."

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

mystes posted:

Are you looking to get into speed skating (since you're looking at these in between skates with removable cuffs)? I don't know much about that. You're describing your current skates as "entry level speed skates" but I'm not sure if you mean something like "fitness skates."

My current skates are approximately the 11-years-ago version of those two skates. No racing but I do like long and fast rides

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think the longer frame might be better in that case (my 4x110mm frames are about the same length as the rollerblade ones I guess and I like the stability that that provides) but one thing you should be aware of if you're specifically looking at 110mm because you're not sure if you want to go all the way to 125mm is that if the frames have the clearance for 125 you're going to be higher up because of that even if you only have 110mm wheels on them. The frames have to be 125mm/2 over the axles to have clearance so they'll be 117.5mm off the ground rather than 110mm like a normal 110mm frame.

It probably makes sense to go with the rollerblades if you're specifically planning to get used to 1100mm as an intermediate step before you switch to 125mm but otherwise you might be better off with something that doesn't have clearance for 125mm... However, I'm not sure if longer 3x110mm frames are that common since I think all the speed skaters have switched to 3x125.

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 1, 2021

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5PSu8BMuKc

Shameless self-promotion. I made a little solo edit this summer after 3 years back skating. Nothing death-defying but I wanted to push myself (and have fun). Really happy with how it turned out. So glad I started skating again.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
great video! sick grinds

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Tenterhooks posted:

Shameless self-promotion. I made a little solo edit this summer after 3 years back skating. Nothing death-defying but I wanted to push myself (and have fun). Really happy with how it turned out. So glad I started skating again.

I tore everything in my knees just watching, good job

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tenterhooks posted:

Nice

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Tenterhooks posted:

I just started practicing hopping and it is terrifying :catstare:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Tenterhooks posted:

Whoa that's some fancy footwork. Choice editing, too, especially that day/night transition mid trick. Every time I see those small wheel blades I want a pair because they seem so much lower and more stable and maneuverable. It's probably just skilled skaters making it look easy, though.

Coydog posted:

It's been like 18 years since I was last on inline skates. I was never any good, and the last time ended badly enough that I never laced em on again. But my partner used to really love it, misses it, and I'd love to give it another try with her instruction. Really I just need to learn how to stop :lol: .

Since her K2's finally wore out a couple years ago, and I've always dreamed of K2's, we went shopping today to try and glean the last remaining stocks of skates in these crazy times. Somehow we both lucked out in getting a pair of the exact skates we wanted.

I got a pair of those, and she got the womens version. I wish I could have gotten the pink colorways of hers, but orange does just fine. I tried every skate in that store that was remotely my size, and they all felt terrible in some way or another. On a whim I asked for a size greater than my measurements, since I have wide feet. Lo and behold they had a pair of LT100's in that size, and it fit. I mean, I guess they need to break in or something because they still feel really stiff and I'm used to a roomier toebox on my motoboots.

Either way, they were the only ones I put on and I felt confident on my feet and didn't want to take off. We have a bunch of paved greenways in ATL that I cannot wait to go check out. Hopefully with all the pads and such I intend to wear I won't die.

To follow up my initial post, I can confirm that I did not die and can reasonably stop or stay slow on extended downhills. I need to put more work into full stopping at speed, though. Otherwise, skating is like the best parts of jogging and walking. You cover a lot of distance and get a good workout, but enjoy a nice breeze. It also stays engaging so I don't get bored, which is something I also love about mountain biking.

My skates though.... I've skipped past "breaking them in" and gone straight to "breaking". Frames are rashed all to heck, strap has a worn bit, seams are rashed almost to the threading, K2 decal dots are GONE with scrapes in their place. K2 clearly didn't design the LT100 for idiot beginners like myself.

Thanks to my full pads and such, I've survived some gnarly falls. I think I love the pads more than the skates at this point. Compared with going down on a motorcycle or mtb, it's not so bad.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Sexy new skate day

I’m glad I found a track I can use cuz lol I’m gonna die

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I'll be honest, unless they've changed, K2s all seemed pretty flimsy. My first pair were them and the combo of soft boot and light weight was great for learning, but your ankles flex like crazy unless you really tighten them and the cheaper ones had plastic frames that got shredded when you fell. Also the default wheels were some sticky grippy ones that were great for learning but terrible at anything approaching speed.

Just don't do what I did and buy a pair of Twister's that you convinced yourself fit you and then spend forever fighting them before admitting you hosed up and switching again (to FR1s with a top spider buckle added on, just perfect for skinny ankles like mine ).

mystes
May 31, 2006

Most cheap skates are pretty flimsy. I guess it's not a problem if they fit perfectly and you just want something you can beat up while you learn the basics but if you're a beginner you can end up pronating your legs and not learning how to use your edges properly because of the lack of support. It may be different if you have more skating experience from before though.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
I got a pair of powerslide Zoom 80 pros a while back. They've been a lot of fun as a first pair of non-recreational skates--super maneuverable, comfortable and no quality issues. I've been a little surprised at how slow they feel though...I know I'm heavier than the last time I skated a lot, but they really do take a lot of energy to keep any sort of decent speed. I'm trying to decide if I should buy new wheels and bearings, go a step further and get a frame (3x100 or 3x110) + the wheels and bearings, or just go all the way and get a second pair of skate altogether. The pricing seems close enough that it's tempting, even though I'll probably still end up wanting to replace wheels and bearings after a bit.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you buy new skates, I guess look at whether the wheels are decent and if they're bad then you might want to factor in the cost of new wheels.

If you look at frames look at the cost of frames + wheels + bearings obviously.

Also consider whether you want to have a backup pair of skates / the option of using 4x80 some of the time since you probably won't want to change frames frequently (some people might not consider this a big hassle but I find it very inconvenient and I don't like to ever change frames without applying loctite and letting it cure overnight because having your frame get loose loving sucks). Having a second pair is nice for example if you realize your bearings have gotten bad but you really want to skate ASAP without having to replace the bearings in your other pair, but if you always only skate it good conditions this may be less of an issue.

Also, if your main goal is to go fast, consider that you may not actually want a super short 3 wheel frame because the frame length (wheelbase) also makes a pretty big difference in addition to wheel size and 3x110 wheel frames aren't necessarily longer than 4x80 frames. Some 3x110 frames are longer, though, so just look at the specs.

A 4x80 frame will typically be about 3*80=240mm for comparison, and some 3x110 skates will be similar in length, whereas on the other extreme speed skates tend to be like 315-350mm which is more stable but less maneuverable.)

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 7, 2021

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

It's harder to accelerate on 3 big wheels as well, or that's what I find anyway. Once you're going it's easier to maintain a decent speed, but definitely feels like more effort to get moving. Particularly on hills.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Good points all around. Fashion and curiosity probably make up my biggest reasons for wanting to try three wheel skates, so it's good to get some balanced opinions with more objective reasoning thrown in. It looks like my zooms came with 243mm frames...I wouldn't mind going a bit longer, but I like to play around with crossovers, skating backwards, spinning etc., so I don't want to go full speedskate territory. I'll probably go with better wheels and bearing for the short term, then eventually think about a second boot or frame.

Taking a harder look at the skates was a good idea--it looks like one of my frames is mounted in the forward-most position, while the other is slammed back fully? The wheels on one side also spin freely for a good 30+ seconds, while the ones on the other side stop after a couple seconds. I guess this is a a good excuse to rotate the wheels, clean lube and adjust everything.

e: Any recommendation for relatively durable and well-made generalist outdoor 80mm wheels? I'll probably just be cruising around my neighborhood streets which vary from bumpy roads with gravel and potholes to some freshly paved smooth blacktop. I usually break by dragging a foot sideways (t stopping?) then spinning out my momentum when I'm slow enough.

Mongoose fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 8, 2021

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Just a reminder to make sure y’all have some tegaderm handy just in case

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

They're expensive but the rollerblade hydrogens are good 80mm wheels that are rated 85A so are a little bit more durable.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

You can always try Endless frames for 3 big wheel or 4 rockered flexibility in the same frame but idk if you want a rockered setup at all

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I finally timed myself on the 1.3 mile flat loop at the park and did it in 5 mins 34 seconds which is an average 14 mph! While this is not olympic speeds, it does mean that I am officially faster than my wife which was the whole point of getting into skating in the first place

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Nice one. Next step is to do it on Strava and discover the "sections" feature and realise how astonishingly fast the people on marathon skates are compared to you, then start thinking "hmmm maybe I should actually focus on my regroup and technique".

For me though, the greatest satisfaction is still out accelerating and overtaking cyclists on a smooth flat road near me. I can't keep the top speed I hit for as long as I'd like but long enough to get a decent lead before I have to drop back.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Nice one. Next step is to do it on Strava and discover the "sections" feature and realise how astonishingly fast the people on marathon skates are compared to you, then start thinking "hmmm maybe I should actually focus on my regroup and technique".

For me though, the greatest satisfaction is still out accelerating and overtaking cyclists on a smooth flat road near me. I can't keep the top speed I hit for as long as I'd like but long enough to get a decent lead before I have to drop back.

Any recs for guides on good technique?

One of my favorite skating moments came after some bikers cut me off when their trail joined mine. I split their group, so I let the other half by, except that after the merge was was about four miles of almost entirely downhill trail. I was faster than them, but not really fast enough to pass, so instead I got a nice leisurely cruise in their draft that really freaked them out.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

dupersaurus posted:

Any recs for guides on good technique?

One of my favorite skating moments came after some bikers cut me off when their trail joined mine. I split their group, so I let the other half by, except that after the merge was was about four miles of almost entirely downhill trail. I was faster than them, but not really fast enough to pass, so instead I got a nice leisurely cruise in their draft that really freaked them out.

This isn't precisely what you asked for but this video (and a lot of Joey's videos) have really helped me improve my form

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvdIqDP0wbo

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

My wife is disgusted with how much faster I am than her and is going to ditch her cheapo garbage skates for some new ones. She's held out this long because "she has a fancy pair back home at her parents' place" but the pandemic has basically canceled all of our trips there.

I recommended she try out some 3x110s because I am enjoying my FR1 310s and she's in it more for skating distances and on the street. You all have any recommendations for soft boot 110s or otherwise? Eventually, we will get her nice 4x80 brought over, which is the other reason I suggested she try out 110s.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mauser posted:

My wife is disgusted with how much faster I am than her and is going to ditch her cheapo garbage skates for some new ones. She's held out this long because "she has a fancy pair back home at her parents' place" but the pandemic has basically canceled all of our trips there.

I recommended she try out some 3x110s because I am enjoying my FR1 310s and she's in it more for skating distances and on the street. You all have any recommendations for soft boot 110s or otherwise? Eventually, we will get her nice 4x80 brought over, which is the other reason I suggested she try out 110s.

What's up FR310 buddy.

My wife has the Powerslide Swell 3x110s and they seem ok. Bit of a hybrid between a hard and soft boot, they're not as cheap as a normal soft boot though.

Tbh I find I can hit the same speed on 3x110 as 4x80, just maybe not hold the speed as will on the 80s, balanced by being able to accelerate better. Also my regroup technique kind of sucks so I'm probably wasting a bunch of energy either way.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Why soft boot specifically out of curiosity?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

That's what she's currently got and I would just recommend the FR1s to her if she wants a hard boot. Open to other hard boot options though

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

What's up FR310 buddy.

My wife has the Powerslide Swell 3x110s and they seem ok. Bit of a hybrid between a hard and soft boot, they're not as cheap as a normal soft boot though.

Tbh I find I can hit the same speed on 3x110 as 4x80, just maybe not hold the speed as will on the 80s, balanced by being able to accelerate better. Also my regroup technique kind of sucks so I'm probably wasting a bunch of energy either way.

I showed her these and it's exactly what she wants. How does the sizing run? She's right in between two of the sizes

mystes
May 31, 2006

I've tried a bunch of different solvents for cleaning bearings and the problem I had with water based stuff was that it's hard to dry it off well without the bearings immediately rusting, so I had been using 99% isopropyl alcohol, but it recently occurred to me that you can get the best if both worlds and just use something water based to clean the bearings, rinse them in water, and then dunk them into a container of isopropyl alcohol and shake them at the end to remove most of the water before drying them.

This way I can just use hot water and dish soap in an ultrasonic cleaner for the cleaning step which is extremely effective (I've been trying grease rather than oil but this removes it very quickly even with only one seal off, so I can just permanently leave the inside seals off) and there's only minimal exposure to fumes.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I'm about to clean all my bearings again and I've just used the citrus degreaser for bike chains at full strength and let them marinate and it seems to do the trick.

I'm now maybe 6 months in to practicing rollerblading for about 1-2 hours everyday and poo poo continues to rule. Been playing a bit of roller hockey with a friend and you get to put in practice all the techniques you've been practicing while chasing a ball and it's very fun. Currently working on crossovers while skating backwards and just going in reverse at full speed. The hockey stop continues to be difficult above a certain speed because once I start sliding too much I just fall down somewhat gently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Sigh, another knee ripped to shreds. Someone managed to (accidentally..or so they claim) get their hand caught on a strap and then yank me over backwards trying to get it loose while going up hill, taking me straight of balance into the ground and then pivoting over around my knee, going straight through my trousers and pulling the pad out of the way. And shredding the front of one skate as well.

That's the second time this has happened with gasket pads, I've had a massive direct impact and been absolutely fine, but if you hit the ground and drag they get ripped out of place and you go straight onto skin.

Hard shell pads are so incredibly uncomfortable over trousers though.