Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug
I used to rollerblade as a teen. No longer a teen. I went to the skate shop last week and tried on a bunch of stuff, and ended up with the Rollerblade Macroblade Women's 90 for $200, because the fit felt right, it was more or less in-budget, my local pavement is lovely so I like the idea of a slightly larger wheel, and it came with a heel brake which I am definitely going to need while I re-learn how to skate.

My only hesitancy is that this skate is technically a soft boot, although there's some hard plastic caging that goes up the ankle. Are these okay to learn on, or should I swap out for a fully hard boot skate? I don't want to be cursed with silly ankles and bad habits.

EDIT: should have added that I plan to skate around my city for distance / exploration. Not currently planning to learn tricks or do any aggressive skating.

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug

mystes posted:

If you think you're going to stick with it and even more so if you plan to skate around streets with rough pavement and stuff and not just MUPs I would definitely recommend going straight to a hardboot skate. Like yeah it may be $100 more but you're going to regret buying the macroblade skates and want to upgrade almost immediately. If you have a store you can try them on in person that's even better.

If you want 90mm and they don't have any that are hard boot maybe try on rollerblade RB skates if they have them and then ask them to order the new rollerblade lightning 90 skates if they can?

Thank you for the advice!

If I'm willing to compromise on 90mm, would the RB cruiser itself be a decent option? I actually really like the way it looks.

I have to buy all different sizes for different pads to fit my weird body. Didn't realize how much getting everything piece by piece going to add on to my total cost :\

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug
lol well. I took your advice and turned in the Macroblades to get RB Pro X skates shipped to me instead, since they came with better quality stock wheels and weren't much more expensive than the Cruisers. After leaving me hanging for 3 days the skate shop just informed me that the RB Pro X is discontinued + sold out in my size, and actually they can't fulfill the exchange. They're offering a complimentary upgrade to a Twister XT.

I should take it, right.

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug

Literally A Person posted:

Prolly just get some quads

I did not do this.

mystes posted:

I would definitely take that. Just be aware that the sizing may be slightly more different between the macroblades and the twister xt than it would be with the rb skates, so make sure they fit ok and they're actually the right size for you when you get them.

I did do this.

It took another round of shipping drama but the Twister XTs finally arrived-- right when it's been raining for 3 days straight and also I'm about to go out of town for half a month. Oh well!! I put them on and scooted around in tiny loops in my house. Right away they felt much more maneuverable and fun than the Macroblades, I assume largely due to better wheels/bearings, but I think the hard boot also gave me a bit more confidence and made me feel less like a baby deer on ice. Kept the skates on for a while to test for hotspots and also because I was enjoying myself too much to want to take them off. I have somewhat wide feet + very high arches, and the fit is close, but it seems fine.

It freaked out my cat who is not used to seeing humans move like that. TBF if I saw a cat on wheels I might feel a bit freaked out too.