Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's been like 18 years since I was last on inline skates. I was never any good, and the last time ended badly enough that I never laced em on again. But my partner used to really love it, misses it, and I'd love to give it another try with her instruction. Really I just need to learn how to stop :lol: .

Since her K2's finally wore out a couple years ago, and I've always dreamed of K2's, we went shopping today to try and glean the last remaining stocks of skates in these crazy times. Somehow we both lucked out in getting a pair of the exact skates we wanted.

I got a pair of those, and she got the womens version. I wish I could have gotten the pink colorways of hers, but orange does just fine. I tried every skate in that store that was remotely my size, and they all felt terrible in some way or another. On a whim I asked for a size greater than my measurements, since I have wide feet. Lo and behold they had a pair of LT100's in that size, and it fit. I mean, I guess they need to break in or something because they still feel really stiff and I'm used to a roomier toebox on my motoboots.

Either way, they were the only ones I put on and I felt confident on my feet and didn't want to take off. We have a bunch of paved greenways in ATL that I cannot wait to go check out. Hopefully with all the pads and such I intend to wear I won't die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Tenterhooks posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5PSu8BMuKc

Shameless self-promotion. I made a little solo edit this summer after 3 years back skating. Nothing death-defying but I wanted to push myself (and have fun). Really happy with how it turned out. So glad I started skating again.

Whoa that's some fancy footwork. Choice editing, too, especially that day/night transition mid trick. Every time I see those small wheel blades I want a pair because they seem so much lower and more stable and maneuverable. It's probably just skilled skaters making it look easy, though.

Coydog posted:

It's been like 18 years since I was last on inline skates. I was never any good, and the last time ended badly enough that I never laced em on again. But my partner used to really love it, misses it, and I'd love to give it another try with her instruction. Really I just need to learn how to stop :lol: .

Since her K2's finally wore out a couple years ago, and I've always dreamed of K2's, we went shopping today to try and glean the last remaining stocks of skates in these crazy times. Somehow we both lucked out in getting a pair of the exact skates we wanted.

I got a pair of those, and she got the womens version. I wish I could have gotten the pink colorways of hers, but orange does just fine. I tried every skate in that store that was remotely my size, and they all felt terrible in some way or another. On a whim I asked for a size greater than my measurements, since I have wide feet. Lo and behold they had a pair of LT100's in that size, and it fit. I mean, I guess they need to break in or something because they still feel really stiff and I'm used to a roomier toebox on my motoboots.

Either way, they were the only ones I put on and I felt confident on my feet and didn't want to take off. We have a bunch of paved greenways in ATL that I cannot wait to go check out. Hopefully with all the pads and such I intend to wear I won't die.

To follow up my initial post, I can confirm that I did not die and can reasonably stop or stay slow on extended downhills. I need to put more work into full stopping at speed, though. Otherwise, skating is like the best parts of jogging and walking. You cover a lot of distance and get a good workout, but enjoy a nice breeze. It also stays engaging so I don't get bored, which is something I also love about mountain biking.

My skates though.... I've skipped past "breaking them in" and gone straight to "breaking". Frames are rashed all to heck, strap has a worn bit, seams are rashed almost to the threading, K2 decal dots are GONE with scrapes in their place. K2 clearly didn't design the LT100 for idiot beginners like myself.

Thanks to my full pads and such, I've survived some gnarly falls. I think I love the pads more than the skates at this point. Compared with going down on a motorcycle or mtb, it's not so bad.