Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I like rollerblading and haven't done it for like 13 years besides once last year. I almost fell on my rear end but recovered. I want to get pads or something but don't want to look like a dork. Yeah I know, having a broken XYZ is dorkier. So starting with something that'll protect my wrists might be a good idea. I'll check Amazon maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I got some cheap knee and elbow pads and wrist guards off of Amazon. I'm ready to go! Whenever it warms up here. Which will probably be the middle of next month.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm not cool enough for that. I got all black. :saddowns:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just checked and I have the K2 Exo. 78mm wheels, designed for "fitness" and is beginner to intermediate. I got them maybe in 2007 and they still look great, but I really think I need new wheels. Looking up 78mm wheels, they seem to be really uncommon. I think 76mm wheels should work on it just fine though. I'll do some looking around.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Maybe there's a run on skates like there is on bikes due to the pandemic! It'd be nice to see a bunch of new skaters out there, like me.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

BeastPussy posted:

flip those suckers 180

I wanna say I already did that once. Can't remember. Either way I have new ones on the way!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
What kind of skates do you guys have. I mentioned I have those K2 Exo's that I got in maybe 2006 or so. The new wheels I just bought were K2 Booster 80mm. I know nothing about skates still. :)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I don't know how to stop very well, at all, and just watched this video which seems pretty helpful. They go over 3 stops. The drag stop, power stop, and power slide. I didn't even bother watching the power slide stop because that seems way too advanced. It's like how you stop quickly with ice skates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWrDAi3aZLs

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's the power slide in the video I posted. I'm not even gonna think about trying that. I'd like to be able to stop in any fashion without falling on my face first. :)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I tested out the new wheels I put on my skates in the driveway and they didn't fall off! I'm not pretty stable and my ankles are super weak. I knew that though. I was on them for maybe a minute or two and my ankles were sore. Yikes.

The weather is finally nice so I'll be going to a nice paved trail around a lake soon. That's where I'll test my might.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's awesome.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
=O

https://i.imgur.com/237dsbN.mp4

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Tenterhooks posted:

Aaah, yes! Just discovered this thread too. I got back into rollerblading in 2018 after a 20 year hiatus. It's been such a positive addition to my life I honestly can't believe it. I've lost weight, made friends and had a ton of fun. I mostly enjoy low-impact aggressive skating but I've been playing around with bigger wheels too.

I film myself a lot and sharing stuff on Instagram has been a little bonus hobby (my username is @safetygrab).

Right now I'm pushing myself fairly hard to put together a little 3 minute edit. I've never felt so tired.

Wow that's pretty cool. I am still working on not falling while going in a straight line.

I haven't skated this year yet but it'll be coming soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

vonnegutt posted:

is there any kind of drone camera that can be set up to automatically follow at a distance/angle? what I'm picturing is maybe some way to "lock" it on me, perhaps a visual cue like two or three tracking dots on my helmet, and then setting it to follow those from ten feet up / ten feet behind. Now that I'm typing it out it sounds very sci-fi but I've been wrong before.

This technology does exist but I'm only aware of the one my drone has. It'll follow the remote around (maybe just my phone). So if I'm holding it and running around it'll follow me but there is a lag time. There's probably some advanced drone out there that could do what you want if my cheapish drone has that.