Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Just got my first inline skates - Roces Weft Threads. I had to buy online because nowhere local had my size.

I'm having trouble because I seem to excessively supernate. My wife commented that it looks like the frames are actually bending when I put my weight on them. Is this normal?

For reference I'm 198cm tall and weigh 118kg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Yeah supinate.

I'm trying to transition from duck walk to longer strides and when I push my foot rolls over to the outside edge. I moved the frames as much to the outside edge as I can. Even so, it takes non-zero effort on the outside of my feet to keep them above the wheels when standing still.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

They're not metal frames and the heel doesn't move but there's about 10mm of available movement at the toe end.

mystes posted:

I think it's much more common for beginners to pronate so I'm not totally sure.

Are you sure they aren't too big? Are your feet moving around at all?

If you're sure they fit correctly, you might just need to keep practicing. You might be better off with hardboot skates with more ankle support, though.

When you push that's also an issue of where your foot is positioned under you, but that doesn't explain why you do it when you're standing still. How far apart are your feet when it happens when you're standing still?

The boots are pretty snug, but they are soft, which might be part of the problem. I don't feel as 'attached' to the wheels as I feel I should be, if that makes sense.

Standing still, I need my feet about hip width to feel balanced without fighting supination.

Thinking about it, doing backwards and forwards 'lemons' inside on a hard floor seems more intensive than it should, too.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Lol, grew up in the eighties, going to roller rinks. I very nearly went quads this time.

Maybe a walkman and some short shorts.

Or full Rollerball.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Well, mystery solved, kind of.

Figured out that my feet naturally supinate, plus I rolled my right ankle pretty badly about 25 years ago (jumped down a flight of stairs and didn't quite clear the last one).

Its never been an issue, so my body has corrected well enough for the past two decades, but just so happens I don't have the muscles to keep my foot flat when balancing on wheels.

I've jammed half an insole in the boot to attempt to compensate and I've taped my ankle, which helps a lot, but I still have to skate knock-kneed to get anywhere. Its hard to balance on one skate like that, so I'm a bit limited at the moment.

I'm booked into see a podiatrist in March, so hopefully that'll cast some more light on my feet. I might try some shims in the meantime as well.

In the meantime, practising strides, lemons and carving I guess!