Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

dupersaurus posted:

Anybody have opinions on knee pads? Last year I learned the hard way that mine won't stay on when skidding on them. And maybe get a skating helmet. Oh and my fast skates could probably use some new wheels...

For your kneepads (and inline gear in general) the best thing you can do is try on the pads before buying them to make sure they fit. Barring that, it's very important to use the manufacturer's sizing charts. Websites will have their own sizing charts that may or may not be what the manufacturer actually recommends and you'll end up with a loose or uncomfortably tight fit!

This is quadruple important when buying skates online because the sizing chart the manufacturer uses may not be at all relevant to shoe size- but frontend stores sometimes still only contain sizing in terms of shoe size. I got burned on this when I bought a pair of FRX 80's a little over a year ago and had to send them back and use the proper size chart.

If you're finding that you're slipping out of your knee pads you might want to look into knee gaskets. You can put these inside the pad and they help maintain grip.

As for wheels, you can't go wrong with the 'Rollerblade Hydrogen' wheels:

https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Rollerblade_Hydrogen_Inline_Wheels/descpage-17HW.html

They come in all the standard wheel sizes and are good performance/cost ratio. Most people online think of the hydrogens as the 'must buy' for anyone looking for a brand of wheel to get. I'm only rolling these right now. Bones 'Reds' bearings are also a good 'basic' pick if you need bearings.

Oh and everyone should get something like this too probably:

https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Sonic_Pro_Skate_Tool/descpage-SPT.html

This tool will complete 95% of all basic maintenance tasks for your skates and is infinitely handy to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
great video! sick grinds