Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Anyone skate BONT wheels? I'm looking for something outdoor/park for my quads and they seem to have a p good reputation but if anyone has personal experience I'd love to hear before I dive in to $60 (E: lol $70) worth of wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Just thought I'd post an update.

I wore my toe stops down to metal so really had to get replacements so just decided to pull the trigger on a cheap set of outdoor wheels that I just really liked the color of in a hardness I like to ride that happen to match my silly teal stops.

P pumped to set my skates up tomorrow and fool around at the skatepark like an olds mans.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

black.lion posted:

Post video!!!

Lol, would love to but my idiot rear end ordered stops with the WRONG loving ARBOR :killing:

Anyone skate quads want a free set of 8mm teal stops??????

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
My motherfucking wheel came of mid-skate. Nut and bearings tossed asunder deep into the gruesome skatepark puddle. Fie and foo my friends. Ever seen someone skating on quads missing a wheel. It's sad. Sad.

:negative:

Didn't fall though so that's nice.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I've been learning to ride some of the bigger stuff at our park here but I am wondering if anyone here has any special words of wisdom about dropping into something vertical on quads. So far I can skate up to the coping rail and back down on the 6' vert but, frankly, I am feeling pretty terrified about plunging headlong into a vertical drop....

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Still scared of the vertical drop but here's some weak rear end trying to ride manual up the trapezoid at our park:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El-E-MDoK78

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

black.lion posted:

Aye I totally meant to respond to this and forgot

So one way we used to teach the kids at the park to drop in would be to start by sitting on the coping and just slide down on your butt, then try sliding with one foot (set of wheels) down but still mostly on your butt, then try dropping in from a low squat (which is rly hard and you end up going down on your butt anyway, but the point is that you work up to it so dropping in is less scary); eventually the actual dropping in will seem less nuts.

Alternatively, you just stand up there for 10-15 minutes in silence, staring down the vert, and then you internally yell 'gently caress IT' and you lean forward into it and try to keep your skates beneath you; honestly if you can already drop in it's just a matter of tricking your brain into letting yourself jump off what feels like a small cliff, and then keeping your knees from buckling and finding the balance. Scissor stance is always your friend!!!

Disclaimer I don't skate quads but think the above still applies

Thanks for this. Gonna wait until my Evil Kineval helmet shows up and try and get out at like 8am so no one can watch me argue with myself up there.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Literally A Person posted:

Uh...anyone have access to a bulk roller skate supply. Southeastern Skate or something like that? Dear god if one of you comes through I will kiss you twice.

They won't sell to commoners. Petite bourgeois only.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
What are you folks listening to while you skate?

My album for the past week or two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyWlGBfbZcQ

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

mystes posted:

I don't have anything to recommend but I have to say that this does seem like it would be good to skate to

So far my fav skating albums are all low tempo edm and punk rock.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGGml5MOtK0

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Landed my first vert trick. Got a big juicy grab and made it look super easy. Feels loving good. Just for fun, here's what my leg looked like after I tried this trick the last time:

Literally A Person fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 8, 2022

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZnKVx9d5WM

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

dupersaurus posted:

Visiting St Petersburg and it’s the first time in a looong while that I’ve seen skaters in the wild. And at night they’ve all got LED wheels! Warms the heart

For some cheapo outdoor wheels with leds it's like drat $35 with lovely but good enough for cruising the streets bearings installed. If I wanted to deal with the hassle of changing wheels all the time you better believe I'd rock a set.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I like to ride up behind people and shout "SKATE OR DIE MOTHERFUCKER" while flipping them the double bird. Then I turn a sweet spin and speed off like a total badass

...and then everyone at the park started clapping for me and telling me how cool I was......

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
How often are quad skaters doing a wheel rotation??

By the way, if you're looking for a seriously good park wheel at not-bowl bomber prices Bont's parkflows are just peachy keen.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

butt dickus posted:

i did it. after checking several places in town for skates that will fit my mutant feet i ended up ordering some and they came in today. i went over to my buddy's house and went from not being able to move at all to gentle laps around the driveway. i had my pads and helmet on but didn't end up spilling at all. there was lots of flailing and rolling into my car when i needed to stop

:sickos:

Quads or blades??

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

butt dickus posted:

i got these in size 14 and they fit well even though i normally wear size 15 shoes. my buddy pointed out they came with 90mm wheels instead of the 80s his came with so i can go faster (note: i do not currently want to go faster)

Literally called Rollerblade XL.

Pumped you found something that fits! Now it's time to shred all over the place and scare old people with your skater ways.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Jesus Christ this hobby.

Just ordered aluminum insoles to make a pair of custom rec skates. Why? No idea. But here
I am.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Banano posted:

Compared to a lot of other hobbies it'a really not expensive so fill your boots!

Hell yeah, figuring I'm getting boots from the second hand store and probably just using thrust plates might come in under $200 before accessories.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Tenterhooks posted:

It's def a contender for the best hobby I've ever had, partly because it's relatively inexpensive. Fun to do, fun to watch, plenty of gear to nerd out on and I'm in better shape than I've been in in over a decade. So happy I got back into it.

This is one of the sweetest things. I have always been a runner and it seemed like no matter how many miles a week I put in I still had a hard time keeping my body looking okay. Skating feels like so little effort but now I have abs?

I like it.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Also,

:bisonyes:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Gonna, uh, take me a month or two....

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Got some boots for my customs. Me being basic, based and debased has led me to acquiring the most boring white sneakers ever. But they're leather and they look so :effort: I just couldn't resist.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Looking at plates and every company is convinced every plate they make is the bestest ever. Reviews are extremely insightful including deep thoughts like, "they are shiny" to poo poo-ing precision aluminum plates for being "cheap feeling." Didn't realize how much of a pain this would be.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Banano posted:

I think it’s near impossible to buy a ‘bad’ plate at almost any price point, rather the mistake people are likely to make is buying one not suited for the style of skating they plan to do. Nerds will be nerds though :shrug:

Well that's reassuring actually. The only thing I really care about is getting off composite. Looking at SureGrip Avengers. Middle of the road price with double action trucks.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Dear god please someone tell me how to find longer lasting toe-stops or some cheap rear end way of acquiring them. I can seriously blast through a $10 set in one session if I am learning a new trick and it's getting way too drat expensive. HELP ME

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Hit my first transition from a quarter pipe to flat ground. Feels insane. Looks like nothing from this camera angle but I am loving jazzed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfczT7B8HIQ

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Sitting (kinda) here with a bruised tailbone and ego and, goons, it drat sucks.

Did successfully drop into a vertical ramp FINALLY. Just got a little bold and tried to jump into one after that. Immediately snapped back as my wheels took off from underneath me. Thank God for my bodacious booty.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
So anyone have any special words on skate positioning when you drop into a pipe? I feel like a lot of the hard time I am having might have been from trying to drop in off of my toe stops. Anyone ever tried dropping in sideways with like outside wheels on the ramp side of the coping? I really feel like there has got to be a better way. Hopefully someone else is park skating on quads in here....

Literally A Person fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 18, 2022

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
STOP RAINING DAMNIT

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Weather making me think hard about getting some grinding blocks and a t-rail.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Mauser posted:

so I've only really ever done rollerblades, but could someone describe what skates are like and if I should buy some?

Roller skates offer a little more ankle support than roller blades, stops are on the front but some folks ride without stops, and the wheels DO NOT extend behind your heel. Skates are more like skateboards in that a tiny pebble can essentially gently caress your day up bad. If you're skating outside of a rink or skate park a nice soft large diameter wheel is what you're looking for. At the rink or on smooth concrete you can roll on wheels as hard as you want. 80-90 on the durometer on wood, 90-100+ on painted/smooth concrete.

Skates are also a fuckload shorter so learning crossovers and footwork can be a little easier since you don't have to step so far. If you are ever going to try any artistic, jam, or park skating make sure you're skates have metal plates. Nylon is great for it's price but flexes to much to use crazily.

I can offer a few more insights if you're interested.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Oh, and moxie and VNLA for low price but dece skates. Bont or riedell if you want to drop many many monies.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Finally got out to shred up the park today only to find half of it too wet to skate. Lame lame lame.

Had to settle on a little jam skate instead. Anyone else getting out for a chance to skate this cold-rear end winter?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
There is hear/tell of a partially covered skatepark within an 1.5 hour drive from me. Tempted to go check it out in a week or two.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

mystes posted:

I'll skate on trails even in the middle of the winter as long as there isn't snow/ice.

Sadly wet pavement and 101 hardness wheels DO NOT mix. Though I can rage some pretty fun power slides on wet blacktop.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Macksy posted:

Toronto is encrusted in ice and snow and I saw a dude on 3 wheels who made a decision to skate across a huge patch of ice rather than the clear area beside it and thought "man he must be good I wouldn't do that" and watched him eat poo poo 1 second later. He got up and skated off so good for him.

In other news I found a pair of rollerblade zetra 303s in size 14 for :10bux: in a thrift store I think they're 90s aggressive skates but I think it's a pretty sweet find? They seem solid if not somewhat scuffed but skates that big are rare even new.

Great find!!

Tell me they're black and purple :pray:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

mystes posted:

It snowed here and I wasn't able to skate for a little while so I decided to buy like the cheapest ice skates off of amazon so I can hopefully ice skate during the week or two when it's possible to do that on some small ponds here but knowing my luck it will probably somehow manage to be weather where I can neither inline skate or ice skate the whole winter.

Also I haven't ice skated in a million years (way before I started inline skating obviously) and I hope trying to do it doesn't somehow gently caress up my inline skating because apparently stopping is completely different.

Poweslides still work on ice skates :sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Dicks maybe? Proshop at the rink?