Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Aaah, yes! Just discovered this thread too. I got back into rollerblading in 2018 after a 20 year hiatus. It's been such a positive addition to my life I honestly can't believe it. I've lost weight, made friends and had a ton of fun. I mostly enjoy low-impact aggressive skating but I've been playing around with bigger wheels too.

I film myself a lot and sharing stuff on Instagram has been a little bonus hobby (my username is @safetygrab).

Right now I'm pushing myself fairly hard to put together a little 3 minute edit. I've never felt so tired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

black.lion posted:

I really want to start filming my sessions like on your insta (followed btw), what camera do you use if you dont mind me asking?

Hey. Thanks! I just use my iPhone. I sit it pretty far away and then zoom in / pan around using Final Cut when I get home. It's not ideal but the best camera is the one that's with you blah blah. Most important thing I've found is to make sure to give enough room for the take off and landing. A common self-filming crime is when people just show their boots zipping along the middle of a ledge with no context. The start and end is where the style is (or isn't).

Have considered 360 cams. The footage has a definite look to it that I'm not sure I like but I bet it'd be fun as hell to play with one.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5PSu8BMuKc

Shameless self-promotion. I made a little solo edit this summer after 3 years back skating. Nothing death-defying but I wanted to push myself (and have fun). Really happy with how it turned out. So glad I started skating again.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
In the aggressive world, Roces 5th elements are famously wide and roomy. Very flexible skates, though, so probably pretty lethal on 80mm+.

Hearing reports that the new Rollerblade Blanks are wide fitting too. More feasible for rec skating if there were no other options. Pretty heavy apparently. Could take the soul plates off to lighten them up.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
The 50/50 backpack is pretty beefy and has a laptop space. Lots of other pockets too. Think you might be able to fit smaller aggro skates inside but anything bigger prob needs you to use the side straps.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
It's def a contender for the best hobby I've ever had, partly because it's relatively inexpensive. Fun to do, fun to watch, plenty of gear to nerd out on and I'm in better shape than I've been in in over a decade. So happy I got back into it.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Collected together my summer aggressive clips into a little edit like what I did last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kq9B8KxRwQ

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Also worth trying it with the other foot too, just in case. You're most likely instinctively doing it whichever way is easiest for you but skating sometimes surprises you with what works. Mostly coming from the aggressive side of things where it's pretty normal for someone to struggle with a grind for years only to try it the other way and then figure it out in a single session. Regardless, can't hurt to be an ambidextrous t-stopper for the sake of your wheels.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I've been using Intuitions for around 18 months now for aggressive skating. While I don't swear by them like some people do, the main actually useful difference I notice is that I can skate for much, much longer in them without getting cramps and blisters like I did in the same skates with stock liners.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Since getting back into skating, I've really enjoyed filming myself and playing around with editing software. This expanded into making a couple of little summer edits. Just finished this year's today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beGbAZal2t0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

mystes posted:

Neat. If you filmed yourself is all the panning/zooming done in editing?

Thanks. Yeah. Save for a couple of tripod shots, it's all filmed with my phone propped against my shoe and then zoom/pan in Final Cut when I get home.