Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Haven't skated in years and finally got tired of following my wife on hers while I ride my bike very slowly, so I ordered a pair.

I also ordered some rad pads because why the hell not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm not cool enough for that. I got all black. :saddowns:

You don't gotta be cool to wear silly clothes while exercising and the brighter and crazier they are, the more compliments you'll get from old people and children on your outfit!

So when I was looking at a set of rollerblades, I decided on rigid boots and 3x110 wheels mainly because this was one of the few sets in my size I could find online. Anyone have a good breakdown of the difference between smaller/larger wheels? This'll be my first time trying out the larger wheels

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Yeah previously, and I'm no expert, was always I wanna say 4x80s so I'm excited to try them out. This'll also be my first big boy pair and won't have the little brake pad. It's been long enough that I'm going to have to get used to everything again, but I'm very excited and I've got a nice flat park nearby that I'm going to as soon as they arrive. Whenever work opens up the office again I might have to try commuting one day

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

dupersaurus posted:

What model did you get? I'd love to get big wheels like that but I don't think what I have to skate on is conducive to GOTTA GO FAST. I used to go to the local middle school and zoom laps on the track, but I think they resurfaced it and now the "NO TRESPASSING" signs are very adamant.

I ordered a pair of these guys, FR1 310s: http://frskates.com/rollers/fr1-310-red-2018-detail. Was looking at the cheaper models, but everything in my size was sold out and eh, I'm gonna have them forever anyway. Gotta wait until I get back from camping to try 'em out :mad:

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

well, never saw the package that my new skates were supposed to come in, but UPS claims it was delivered. I'm hoping that it was just misplaced somewhere and incorrectly marked as delivered because literally everywhere, including where I ordered them from, is out of stock for my size with these :(

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Well, figuring my skates were either gone or going to take forever to figure out, I found a place that had some 4x80s in stock and ordered them, then went for a bike ride and came back to find out that they found my package and that my newest pair is on the way! So tomorrow I will own two pairs and I am very excited

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

dupersaurus posted:

A couple years ago I got a pair of Rollerblade Zetrablades on the cheap because my nephew wanted to go skating at the beach. I've used them a few times in the last few weeks to get back on my feet but really they don't do anything for me.

My wife has a pair of these and she hates them and misses her Salomon skates she left at her parents' place.

My first order of inline skates is officially in the wind. Was chatting with the delivery driver and he said that he had to call out sick that day so the guy who covered for him managed to deliver them 3 blocks over and original guy went looking for it over the course of three days and was completely unable to find them. Alternate replacement order arrived and they're amazing, been five years since I've done any rollerblading and I only fell like 3 times while trying them out in the alley. Tomorrow going to the park that has actual flat pavement and gonna do some laps!

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Update: finally pestered my wife to get home early enough to go try my new skates and they rule and rollerblading rules! I dunno why it took me so long to try to get back into it, but having a nice park nearby really helps. Took a couple laps to get back into the swing of things and practiced braking without brake pads and I loving love it.

Also, my lost order, after discussing with the delivery guy and him looking high and low for the first pair, they finally showed up on my door with a little note saying this was delivered to [three blocks over same street number], so now I've got the 4x80s and the 3x110s to try out later!

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

sex excellence posted:

As for wheels, you can't go wrong with the 'Rollerblade Hydrogen' wheels:

https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Rollerblade_Hydrogen_Inline_Wheels/descpage-17HW.html

They come in all the standard wheel sizes and are good performance/cost ratio. Most people online think of the hydrogens as the 'must buy' for anyone looking for a brand of wheel to get. I'm only rolling these right now. Bones 'Reds' bearings are also a good 'basic' pick if you need bearings.

I'm trying to find 80mm 85As because I'll need to replace my wheels soon, but everything looks sold out on the stores I've used before and the one you linked is out too. Any other recommendations on stores/brands to look for?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Yeah, my current ones are actually 84A, so anything in that range and I am looking for something that's not going to fall apart immediately, but I don't need ultra expensive either. First time replacing wheels!

I'll check out the hydrogen ones if I can find them somewhere else. Only available ones on that site are too big unfortunately

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I love my FR1s and I just recently cleaned all the bearings and relubed them and let me tell you that it is not fun at all and I do not like it one bit. Also, it seems like if I tighten the bolts on the wheels they're noticeably less spinny then if I leave it a little loose on a couple of them. Haven't had any issues with leaving them this way, but it bothers me

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

mystes posted:

Try removing and reinserting the bearings on the wheels that have this problem. Also make sure the bearings are fully seated in the wheels.

I went to go try this, but they're all spinning great now after some skating yesterday and they're all really tight now as well on their own, so problem solved :iiam:

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

My friend recommended Labeda Asphault wheels as a replacement for my current ones, since they're reasonably priced for a set of eight: https://labeda.com/products/asphalt-orange-85a/

I also ordered a couple sets from skatepro.com of the same kind that came with my skates, the FR street invader IIs, and I'm gonna try out 3x80mm with a 76mm wheel on the front and see how I like it

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Congrats! I would recommend going somewhere nice and flat and smooth while you're still getting back into it. I found up and downhill to be kind of challenging until I was more steady on my feet.

Also, the pads don't make falling painless, but they really do take the sting out of it. I can still remember pretty vividly the feeling of the impact on my elbow without pads ringing through my bones while none of the falls with pads have been memorable. I see people at the park who are clearly on the skates for the first time and no helmet, no pads and it's really worrying to see them stumble around.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Not a lot going on in this thread so excuse the double-post, but I got my order of wheels from skatepro.com. I placed the following order of some blue and some green street invader IIs to replace my current wheels on my FR1 and would recommend!

Ordered:
2x76mm green, 6x80mm green, 8x80mm blue

I received :confuoot:
4x76mm green, 6x80mm green, 9x80mm blue

In other news, I've been throwing myself horizontally into sideways slides learning to hockey stop and I've gotten pretty good! Current practicing involves skating backwards and transitioning between forwards and backwards while moving and it's ongoing. Any tips are welcome. I should probably consult a youtube video

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I haven't mastered the hockey stop yet and I've been doing it on rough street pavement. I would never trust doing this on a new surface because it requires me several tries to build up to it until I can gauge that slipping point and even then it's a matter of whether I'm going to lean too light or too hard as to whether I just get into a sharp turn or fall down sliding respectively. I should go to a tennis court sometime and try it out.

Partial rocker setup is fun and definitely teaches you some good habits. I didn't realize how much weight I was putting on my toes until I tried to do a lap with an undersized wheel in front and now I'm on my heels 100% of the time

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

That is pretty cheap. I don't need 110mm replacements yet, but will eventually, and I need to get my wife some new bearings so might as well. Are there any bearings on that site you can recommend? Doesn't have to be anything too fancy.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

mystes posted:

I ordered some twincam ilq 7 bearings (which are supposed to be roughly equivalent to abec 7 bearings) because I think I've had good luck with twincam bearings before but I haven't tried the exact model proskaterplace had before (they have removable metal shields with c clips, which is a style I've never tried).

Thanks for the recommendation. I just ordered some.

My current bearings have the metal shield thing and they're a pain to disassemble until you figure it out at which point it requires like zero effort.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Do you actually fully dismantle your bearings to clean? I've just put a bit of oil in the edges where the circlip is and spun them a bit and it seems to have worked fairly well.

Someone once told me that once you actually dismantle then and rebuild you're basically condemning yourself to having to keep doing it every few weeks because the shield will never go back on right and they'll get 20x more dirt in them.

After pretty much daily skating for ~two months some of my wheels would quickly come to a stop if you spun them with your hand, so I took them apart, soaked them in degreaser for a bit, re-lubed, put everything back and now they spin forever, just like new. Probably wasn't super necessary, but they'll most likely last longer if they've got less grime grinding down the balls inside.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Tenterhooks posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5PSu8BMuKc

Shameless self-promotion. I made a little solo edit this summer after 3 years back skating. Nothing death-defying but I wanted to push myself (and have fun). Really happy with how it turned out. So glad I started skating again.

I just started practicing hopping and it is terrifying :catstare:

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I finally timed myself on the 1.3 mile flat loop at the park and did it in 5 mins 34 seconds which is an average 14 mph! While this is not olympic speeds, it does mean that I am officially faster than my wife which was the whole point of getting into skating in the first place

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

My wife is disgusted with how much faster I am than her and is going to ditch her cheapo garbage skates for some new ones. She's held out this long because "she has a fancy pair back home at her parents' place" but the pandemic has basically canceled all of our trips there.

I recommended she try out some 3x110s because I am enjoying my FR1 310s and she's in it more for skating distances and on the street. You all have any recommendations for soft boot 110s or otherwise? Eventually, we will get her nice 4x80 brought over, which is the other reason I suggested she try out 110s.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

That's what she's currently got and I would just recommend the FR1s to her if she wants a hard boot. Open to other hard boot options though

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

What's up FR310 buddy.

My wife has the Powerslide Swell 3x110s and they seem ok. Bit of a hybrid between a hard and soft boot, they're not as cheap as a normal soft boot though.

Tbh I find I can hit the same speed on 3x110 as 4x80, just maybe not hold the speed as will on the 80s, balanced by being able to accelerate better. Also my regroup technique kind of sucks so I'm probably wasting a bunch of energy either way.

I showed her these and it's exactly what she wants. How does the sizing run? She's right in between two of the sizes

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I'm about to clean all my bearings again and I've just used the citrus degreaser for bike chains at full strength and let them marinate and it seems to do the trick.

I'm now maybe 6 months in to practicing rollerblading for about 1-2 hours everyday and poo poo continues to rule. Been playing a bit of roller hockey with a friend and you get to put in practice all the techniques you've been practicing while chasing a ball and it's very fun. Currently working on crossovers while skating backwards and just going in reverse at full speed. The hockey stop continues to be difficult above a certain speed because once I start sliding too much I just fall down somewhat gently.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I rotated my 3x110s and first thing I did was run myself off the road into the grass and had a Skinner moment

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I almost exclusively use my 3x110s for exercise, doing laps as fast as I can around my park and the 4x80 for playing street hockey with a friend. The 110s feel way more stable at max speed on rough asphalt

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Strange Cares posted:

I have extremely wide feet, are there any rollerskate/rollerblade brands that sell skates that I can actually wear?

The FR brand line that starts with FR are listed as being for wide feet. For fancier shoes I take a wider than standard size and my FR1s fit me perfectly (after a couple weeks of breaking in)

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

how the hell do I get the confidence to skate around a city? my buddy can carve downhill on an uneven sidewalk but the second I start going downhill I freak out

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

yeah, my park has a small street with a hill next to it so I've been practicing on that and I'm fine with the speed while going straight and I can do some wide carves as long as I start out carving, but I'm having a hard time going from already moving fast downhill and then switching to carving.

And yeah, my friend will fly down a hosed up concrete sidewalk that's two feet wide, so that's the dream one day.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

oh yeah, every time I go out I usually warm up a bit doing tighter and tighter turns until I can hit that point where I'm turning as sharply as possible without sliding and after I go skating a bit I practice a hockey stop. Last time I went out, I've been trying to do a reverse stop or slide stop (whatever you call it), but the park road is really rough and a lot of this poo poo would be easier at a tennis court. It's just one thing to be doing all this at the speed you want and another to be doing it at the speed that the slope is making you go. In any case, it's gotten dark, cold and windy so inline skating is kind of out for me for the season and I'm looking to do some ice skating

Bonus pic:

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

vonnegutt posted:

Once you feel comfortable just skating around in circles or whatever, find a few tutorials for slowing down and stopping and try those. The key to learning on your own is to pick a skill and practice practice practice.

Oh yeah, in addition to everything everyone's said already, I want to emphasize this above. Definitely find a nice flat surface that you can do some laps and practice your stride, but also go out, once you're capable of staying upright, and make sure you spend some time practicing a skill. At first, the skills you should be practicing are 1) balance and 2) braking, not necessarily in that order.

Once you're able to balance on two feet, you should be practicing balancing on one foot, because almost all techniques require you to be able to stay upright while one of your feet is off the ground or doing something else. If you have heel brakes, practice braking with it in a safe area without hills, children, cars etc. If you don't have heel brakes, then you need to practice the pizza brake (from skiing and to build up those muscles), the drag stop and turning to get rid of your momentum. Drag and turn are the faster ways to brake, so learn them.

Once you're ok at balance and braking, you can start getting into the fun bits like skating backwards or crossovers.

I spent the second summer of the pandemic (last year) learning from more or less zero how to skate and it's a fantastic exercise that keeps you interested because once you learn one thing there's always something else to learn. If you just want to go out and skate some laps around a flat field, I like 3 x 110mm wheels because they're fast and you can do most anything with them, like take them on the streets later. If you want to do more maneuvering, then smaller wheels and rockering setups are things to look into. Everyday practice for 3 months and you'll be skating like an almost pro until your friend who's been skating since birth shows you a thing or two :D

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

went skating for the first time since it was warm out and practiced jumping over lines in the pavement. I got the hang of it, but any recommended videos on how to practice jumping off curbs or more advanced stuff?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I know this isn't helpful to the discussion at hand, but I strap my skates to the luggage rack of my bicycle and transport them around that way

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I just got some bearings in the mail and previously they had shields on both sides, but these are open on one side. They're ilq 7 plus where the previous ones were just ilq 7. Is that normal? I put the open side inside but haven't gone out with them yet

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

mystes posted:

I guess like 90% of bearings come with shields on both sides but it really doesn't matter. I just get rid of the inside shields the first time I clean the bearings so I don't have to bother removing/reinserting the shields after that anyway* and there's no real need to have shields on the insides as far as I can tell.

*: It's a bit harder to clean them thoroughly with only one side off but I use an ultrasonic cleaner.

Thanks, yeah I figured it was sealed pretty well on the inside anyway so there we go.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

30C, that's not so bad! It's been 35/36C last couple times I've done some rollerblading at the park, but I drove there with a gallon of water in the trunk and nearly finished it by the end.

I've been practicing soul slide brake thanks to a couple youtube videos making it look easy and it is definitely not. There are a couple sections of road that are fresh and flat as a tennis court where it's quite a bit easier, but the regular surface is so bumpy that any forward sliding motion is tricky as hell for me because the wheels just catch and dig in.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

my wife managed to lose one of her axles while we were skating, sending the wheel rolling off on its own. I have no idea how she managed that because if mine are even the slightest bit lose it sounds like I'm stomping around in wooden clogs or something

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Finally realised what I was doing wrong with hockey stop/parallel slides and as usual, it's that I was completely doing the turn wrong and turning into it instead of away then snapping back :rolleyes:

It was watching a video of the wizard guy while drunk that made me go "ohhhhh", now I just need to actually practice.

If I'm understanding right, you're doing two turns, first away and then back parallel?

I saw a video that helped me and instead of turning at all the guy just kicks his legs sideways and leans to brace for the slide.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

ah I got you now. I can't find the video that helped me figure it out, but that one's much more descriptive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

ok, I tried the hand thing and couldn't get it to do anything for me. my torso is definitely rotating a bit while doing the slide, but not sure I'm doing it the same way as him