Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Oh wow I can't believe this thread exists and I didn't know it! Rollerblading goons!!!

Here's my things:

Broskow has the best parts to watch, so calming, he has absolutely zero unnecessary movement, just fast and chill

The new Danny Beer video is super good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sObeW0UbxIs

that LotHT helmet/tshirt set is absolutely balls out amazing, but where are you going to find large khaki shorts??>!

e: also dupersaurus we live v close so lmk if u ever wanna do a goon skate!

black.lion fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Tenterhooks posted:

Aaah, yes! Just discovered this thread too. I got back into rollerblading in 2018 after a 20 year hiatus. It's been such a positive addition to my life I honestly can't believe it. I've lost weight, made friends and had a ton of fun. I mostly enjoy low-impact aggressive skating but I've been playing around with bigger wheels too.

I film myself a lot and sharing stuff on Instagram has been a little bonus hobby (my username is @safetygrab).

Right now I'm pushing myself fairly hard to put together a little 3 minute edit. I've never felt so tired.

My man! I'm in similar boat, I did aggressive when I was young and bouncy but now 20 years later all I have the courage for is wizard/mushroom type stuff - I really want to start filming my sessions like on your insta (followed btw), what camera do you use if you dont mind me asking?

I want to get an Insta360 One X2 but my wife would stab me if she found out I spent that much on a selfie stick so I can show people how I wheelie around parking lots in my free time

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Man your iPhone camera is nice, I have a Galaxy S8 that is on its last legs, my camera is like looking through a pinhole during a heavy rainstorm - Oh well I guess that means I JUST HAVE TO BUY the extremely expensive selfie stick 360 camera THERE IS NO OTHER OPTION OH WELL :homebrew:

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14AhUiJhQCU

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Yeh I know there are big wheel quads out there but certainly not THAT big, 100mm quads would be so unwieldy

I'm jelly you have a big cool city to skate in tho :(:hf::(

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

You can always try Endless frames for 3 big wheel or 4 rockered flexibility in the same frame but idk if you want a rockered setup at all

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

dupersaurus posted:

Any recs for guides on good technique?

One of my favorite skating moments came after some bikers cut me off when their trail joined mine. I split their group, so I let the other half by, except that after the merge was was about four miles of almost entirely downhill trail. I was faster than them, but not really fast enough to pass, so instead I got a nice leisurely cruise in their draft that really freaked them out.

This isn't precisely what you asked for but this video (and a lot of Joey's videos) have really helped me improve my form

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvdIqDP0wbo

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Athanos posted:

Wanted to get rollerblades for a while so I decided to get some in the new year and use the money work gives me for fitness stuff. Did some research and decided on some wizard skates since they are local and matched how I wanted to skate. They just got new stock and not knowing when they'd restock I pulled the trigger hoping work would allow me to expense them for next year... Thankfully they will!

I'm very impatient so the wait for them to ship is killing me. I am half temped to just shoot them an email saying I can just go pick them up rather than waiting and they can keep the postage fee.

Always wanted to take my bike travelling to get around the cities I visited but it seemed like a huge hassle, and extra expense, but with inlines you can carry on and aren't bulky so looking forward to travelling with them!

If youre near ShopTask theyre prob sitting there in the stock room, i bet you could pick em up anytime! But as a fellow wizard skate haver, mine came shipped w extra goodies (socks, stickers, a cute lil msg from leon) so if those things matter to you you may inquire when emailing and/or attempt to exercise patience (i say attempt bc i know how hard it is!)

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

go to a parking garage and practice going down an incline by doing half-circle turns back and forth; as you go make the turns tighter and feel how those tight turns help control your speed. eventually youll look very slalom-y but youll get the feel and then will start to get comfortable enough to try on more uneven ground like sidewalks etc

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

also always always always remember to bend your knees!!!

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

y'all may already be doing this but just in case, control on fast tight carves is really bolstered by letting your skates separate during the turn, so like if i'm turning sharp left, my left skate will be under me (on outside edge) and my right skate will be pretty far out, knee nearly straight, on inside edge...and my body is relatively low to the ground, like a weird sideways lunge... this way my left skate is supporting my weight, and my right skate is pushing against where my momentum wants to take me, bleeding speed/energy into the street... then go back and forth doin that (this is how i taught my wife to take big scary hills and she's p competent at it/comfortable with it, without having ~big inline skills~ of any sort)

it is really hard on a small sidewalk but you can still do it, you just have to do tons of microslalom turns and be really good about biting into your edges on each turn - but honestly by the time you can do that comfortably you'll likely have other tools/techs available to you to control your speed in that situation (plow braking mb)

another "just in case y'all aren't doing this" is scissor stance, esp when bombing hills and/or going on uneven pavement - get comfortable with scissoring both ways too (right forward/left back & left forward/right back) - the stability you get from scissor will really help you eat up those cracks and holes and etc in rough pavement/sidewalks

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

mystes posted:

I could be wrong but I'm not sure this is actually desirable during carving because it means you can't use your outside edge properly?

I think while carving you should ideally try to work on getting it closer to a parallel slide where you're using both edges (or alternatively try to do a magic slide or something rather than carving)

Yeah I mean I agree with you in terms of wanting to progress to a parallel slide, or do sick carves, but if you are beginning and you want stability down a hill nah I'd suggest you give yourself the width of base you need to control your descent - you're right that it isn't the more efficient option, but it is the more accessible option

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I think that's technically linked lunge turns isn't it? I like doing that because you can put force into that straighter, downhill leg and scrub off some speed that way, which means you don't have to turn as aggressively "uphill". You need a lot of space to do it though.

That sounds like a good technical term for it! And yes you def need space to do it, but as you get better/more comfortable your skates can be closer, turns tighter (more like a parallel slide as mystes was saying), and you can do the same sorta thing in less space

e: To be clear that is almost definitely the correct technical term for what I'm describing I just don't know a lot of technical skate terms (aside from alley oop top soul teehee)

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Mauser posted:

yeah, my park has a small street with a hill next to it so I've been practicing on that and I'm fine with the speed while going straight and I can do some wide carves as long as I start out carving, but I'm having a hard time going from already moving fast downhill and then switching to carving.

And yeah, my friend will fly down a hosed up concrete sidewalk that's two feet wide, so that's the dream one day.

rereading your post, i think you should mb try to learn an emergency stop/powerstop or mb a plow stop if you're going to be shredding hills often, carving/slaloming is good and all but as this discussion notes it can be easily limited by space

#1 job of learning to urban skate is learning to stop abruptly, safely, confidently imo

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Wizard frames are heavy af fyi

I mean i love them but yea they are heavy af

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

New Wizard frames, new Leon content :3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glaAT-gPLy4

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Mauser posted:

went skating for the first time since it was warm out and practiced jumping over lines in the pavement. I got the hang of it, but any recommended videos on how to practice jumping off curbs or more advanced stuff?

This series of videos is p good

https://youtube.com/watch?v=gSpZBCE2e0c

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Post video!!!

Speaking of video, new Wizard vid, v serene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Fujj6GoMY

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Honestly I've been on the hunt for a good skate-holding bag for years and never found one - at this point I just tie laces and sling them over my shoulder or use that huge Powerslide carabiner and carry them separately, with a bag for everything else :(

If I were going to take another shot, I'd try this: https://oakcityskate.com/collections/bag-and-back-packs/products/blade-club-camera-bag-v3-2021-release-1

...but it's surely humongous

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Literally A Person posted:

I've been learning to ride some of the bigger stuff at our park here but I am wondering if anyone here has any special words of wisdom about dropping into something vertical on quads. So far I can skate up to the coping rail and back down on the 6' vert but, frankly, I am feeling pretty terrified about plunging headlong into a vertical drop....

Aye I totally meant to respond to this and forgot

So one way we used to teach the kids at the park to drop in would be to start by sitting on the coping and just slide down on your butt, then try sliding with one foot (set of wheels) down but still mostly on your butt, then try dropping in from a low squat (which is rly hard and you end up going down on your butt anyway, but the point is that you work up to it so dropping in is less scary); eventually the actual dropping in will seem less nuts.

Alternatively, you just stand up there for 10-15 minutes in silence, staring down the vert, and then you internally yell 'gently caress IT' and you lean forward into it and try to keep your skates beneath you; honestly if you can already drop in it's just a matter of tricking your brain into letting yourself jump off what feels like a small cliff, and then keeping your knees from buckling and finding the balance. Scissor stance is always your friend!!!

Disclaimer I don't skate quads but think the above still applies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

fresh new wiz vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZewSdVEs94