Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
^^ the distance he covers in the time is just mad. As a quad skater I'm jealous of how much easier inlines can cope with lovely surfaces (not trying to take anything away, this guy gets mad love from quad skaters a million times better than me).

I tried doing the southbank embankment from vauxhall to the tate modern (the art museum he gets to at about 19:34) the other day and it toook the best part of an hour, with many baby giraffe moments and was a generally miserable experience :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Mauser posted:

I love my FR1s and I just recently cleaned all the bearings and relubed them and let me tell you that it is not fun at all and I do not like it one bit. Also, it seems like if I tighten the bolts on the wheels they're noticeably less spinny then if I leave it a little loose on a couple of them. Haven't had any issues with leaving them this way, but it bothers me

Are speed washers a thing for inlines? Because they are for quads but a surprising amount of quad skaters don’t know about them.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
get the bones cleaning bottle or similar knockoff, take the bearing shields off, stick them in and give them 3 good 90 second shakes with fresh rubbing alcohol each time. I've gone to the trouble of completely disasembling my bearings (cages and balls out) and it's just not worth the extra effort. Putting oil on the outside is madness, you're just creating a trap for dirt. If you've got those sealed type bearings there's not much else you can do with them - you can buy bones reds or similar for really not much money and they'll be way better.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
A friend has recommended motorcycle leggings with pockets for knee/hip pads that you can wear under most normal clothes. They’re a bit pricey but that’s due to being designed with much higher speeds/impacts in mind.

https://www.urbanrider.co.uk/pando-...ASABEgI96PD_BwE

I’ve fallen on the same hip three times in the space of six weeks now so am probably going to get some next payday

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Compared to a lot of other hobbies it'a really not expensive so fill your boots!

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Literally A Person posted:

Looking at plates and every company is convinced every plate they make is the bestest ever. Reviews are extremely insightful including deep thoughts like, "they are shiny" to poo poo-ing precision aluminum plates for being "cheap feeling." Didn't realize how much of a pain this would be.

I think it’s near impossible to buy a ‘bad’ plate at almost any price point, rather the mistake people are likely to make is buying one not suited for the style of skating they plan to do. Nerds will be nerds though :shrug:

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
I'm in London and bones reds are the upper end of bearings for most people I've met. I know that at least a handful of the best quad skaters in London follow the strategy of using abec5 bearings and just binning and replacing them whenever necessary. A lot less hassle than having to baby a set of super expensive bearings. Also, these guys/girls are FAST so I think technique and muscle condition etc. play a far bigger role than bearings.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Almost none of the quad street skaters in London wear toe stops of any kind - you might see jam plugs but that’s about it. The general feeling is that you have no business skating on streets until you have enough ability to fully control your speed and a repertoire of different stops that do not require toe stoppers.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
I did not like the radar energy (65mm) when I tried them . Although they’re supposedly the same softness as what I usually roll on they absolutely schlurped onto any surface and felt extremely slow.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Literally A Person posted:

But for some actual advice: I totally recommend Bont's streetflows. Hard enough to actually get a decent cruising speed and soft enough to feel comfy while you roll.

If you ever head to the skatepark, Bont's parkflows are insanely good for the price. Bowl Bomber quality at 2/3 the price

Bont is quality stuff but 58mm is waay too small for me. I’d be interested to try something 65mm harder than 78A but it seems all the big wheels are squishy.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Quick street skate tonight, the season is fast approaching and my god I'm still fat from Christmas.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
If you own three or more pairs of skates the next pair you buy should be a bearing press

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Bleh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
I’ve heard good things about danish endurance socks from my inliner pals