Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
I got a pair of powerslide Zoom 80 pros a while back. They've been a lot of fun as a first pair of non-recreational skates--super maneuverable, comfortable and no quality issues. I've been a little surprised at how slow they feel though...I know I'm heavier than the last time I skated a lot, but they really do take a lot of energy to keep any sort of decent speed. I'm trying to decide if I should buy new wheels and bearings, go a step further and get a frame (3x100 or 3x110) + the wheels and bearings, or just go all the way and get a second pair of skate altogether. The pricing seems close enough that it's tempting, even though I'll probably still end up wanting to replace wheels and bearings after a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Good points all around. Fashion and curiosity probably make up my biggest reasons for wanting to try three wheel skates, so it's good to get some balanced opinions with more objective reasoning thrown in. It looks like my zooms came with 243mm frames...I wouldn't mind going a bit longer, but I like to play around with crossovers, skating backwards, spinning etc., so I don't want to go full speedskate territory. I'll probably go with better wheels and bearing for the short term, then eventually think about a second boot or frame.

Taking a harder look at the skates was a good idea--it looks like one of my frames is mounted in the forward-most position, while the other is slammed back fully? The wheels on one side also spin freely for a good 30+ seconds, while the ones on the other side stop after a couple seconds. I guess this is a a good excuse to rotate the wheels, clean lube and adjust everything.

e: Any recommendation for relatively durable and well-made generalist outdoor 80mm wheels? I'll probably just be cruising around my neighborhood streets which vary from bumpy roads with gravel and potholes to some freshly paved smooth blacktop. I usually break by dragging a foot sideways (t stopping?) then spinning out my momentum when I'm slow enough.

Mongoose fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 8, 2021