Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Dareon posted:

After the robot finished, I wondered why the quest hadn't updated, but it needs you to actually go request the robot minions at that stage of the quest, then build new ones, because it didn't recognize the one I had already built either.

That's how it worked for every "get X minions of type" quest at release, and it was annoying as hell. They patched it out later, but it seems they just made the same mistake again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

sean10mm posted:

Maybe a better question is, how much has it improved since launch day? It seems like they put a lot of work into it but I haven't gone back to it since a week after buying it on day 1 (mostly for reasons unrelated to the game either way.)

It hasn't, really. The core loop of the game is still kinda lovely and the systems still work against eachother.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Has anyone messed about with the new Portal DLC? How is it?

I am a huge fan of Portal 1/2 and wondering how the DLC fits into the overall game?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

ModeSix posted:

Has anyone messed about with the new Portal DLC? How is it?

I am a huge fan of Portal 1/2 and wondering how the DLC fits into the overall game?

Haven't gotten very far into it, but the cutscenes are poorly voice-acted. Just from the trailer, the overall aesthetic at least matches, even if it seems like the traps are just reskins.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Campaign pack got released today if anyone is still interested: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1531608/Evil_Genius_2_Oceans_Campaign_Pack/

quote:

Unleash dastardly chaos as a brand new Genius - the ecological mastermind Polar! Along with a frosty new Arctic Lair, story Campaign and an equally chilling Doomsday device.

Train an army of eccentric Engineer minions who will tinker away in their Workshop to create and maintain your fleet of submarines, and array of deadly turrets. Your minions will need to keep warm as the new temperature system means their productivity and equipment will be affected if they get too cold or too hot. Place heaters and air conditioning to ensure optimum efficiency.

Go under the radar and explore the 5 Oceans for sinister new schemes, but watch out for the Forces of Justice! Do-gooder divers and a new armoured Super Agent have reached you through your criminal intelligence network. Perhaps given the right persuasion, this Super Agent can be turned and become a valuable Henchman?

The Oceans Campaign Pack includes:

- Polar - a new Genius, with accompanying story Campaign, Sanctum and Doomsday device.
- Unique arctic Lair (useable with any Genius)
- Engineer Minion type
- Workshop room type
- New enemies (J.A.W.S, Diver, Super Agent Deep Six)
- New items (including Submarines and Turrets)
- 3 new Loot items with accompanying objectives (Poseidon’s Trident, Ruins of Atlantis, and the legendary Nautilus)
- Decorative Items
- Temperature System
- 5 new ocean Regions with accompanying Schemes

pink flag
May 16, 2009
Did they ever address only being able to have 5 max henchmen? New island looks nice but I bounced off this hard after release and haven't gone back since.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

pink flag posted:

Did they ever address only being able to have 5 max henchmen? New island looks nice but I bounced off this hard after release and haven't gone back since.

No the 5 henchman thing is a deliberate game design choice about who you want to keep as your personal followers vs who you simply kill for getting in your way.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

No the 5 henchman thing is a deliberate game design choice about who you want to keep as your personal followers vs who you simply kill for getting in your way.

If that were true, they should have never added so many seats on the conference table

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Back Hack posted:

If that were true, they should have never added so many seats on the conference table

There's no "if that were true" about it. The achievement for collecting all henchmen directly references the fact that you have to kill a bunch for that to even be possible.

It's a deliberate design decision, likely intended to make different playthroughs more distinct, whether you agree with that choice or no.

As such I wouldn't really expect that to change ever.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Back Hack posted:

You gotta give your Henchmen room to take up more space than necessary, do you really want the explosives expert next to the fire magician?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think you can have extra guys hanging at your base and table. You just can’t order them around.

Anyway the game has improved a lot since launch so looking forward to trying the new campaign.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Back Hack posted:

You never want to be short on seats at the table.
The game has been out for a while now. Are there any mods for it?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Lord_Magmar posted:

You gotta give your Henchmen room to take up more space than necessary, do you really want the explosives expert next to the fire magician?

:bisonyes:

What annoys me is the semi-arcane requirements for some of the henchmen. You can't get Henchman A if you have Henchman B, C, or D (Because their quest needs you to beat up B, C, and D), two henchmen are mutually exclusive (But they're both pretty bad, so nothing of value is lost), one you can't get if you've eliminated any of the Super Agents... Getting the All Henchmen achievement requires a careful and laborious path through the recruiting process.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does the new Mastermind also have nothing but the copy-pasted conversations as the other Masterminds?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dareon posted:

:bisonyes:

What annoys me is the semi-arcane requirements for some of the henchmen. You can't get Henchman A if you have Henchman B, C, or D (Because their quest needs you to beat up B, C, and D), two henchmen are mutually exclusive (But they're both pretty bad, so nothing of value is lost), one you can't get if you've eliminated any of the Super Agents... Getting the All Henchmen achievement requires a careful and laborious path through the recruiting process.

I think those have been removed.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I recently got to chat with a guy who worked on this game. Asked him what it was like working on the IP and he just sighed heavily before he changed the subject.

God I wanted this game to be good so badly.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is this game actually bad or just okay but not spetacular?

I'm just waiting for the development phase to end so that I can gobble up all the DLC on a cheap bundle and enjoy it.

It's not like the first game was a work of art, it was janky as hell, but the positives outweighted the negatives.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Mans posted:

I'm just waiting for the development phase to end so that I can gobble up all the DLC on a cheap bundle and enjoy it.

It's not like the first game was a work of art, it was janky as hell, but the positives outweighted the negatives.

My impression is that it'll largely be "fine" given that last sentence, especially if you've got it on sale yeah.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

I played a full campaign on launch and from what I remember I think the core gameplay-loop just grows stale after a while, especially since the game had you do similar things over and over again. And despite a lot of things being patched/fixed since then I suspect that issue is still there to a degree.

That said I enjoyed my time with the game and since I bought the season pass edition I've always been meaning to go back to it.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, it's fine. They patched and tightened the gameplay loop since release, it's solidly playable, but doesn't really spark the joy the first one did.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mans posted:

its ok. like dareon says above its playable but doesn't spark joy. i think thats largely because the base management games on offer were pretty dire in 2004 and a game like this was more innovative back then, when the same kind of gameplay doesn't as much fly now

there are some problems with the game. even after they sped up the pacing of the game, its still pretty slow, and games are just "faster" these days in terms of how quickly they get and cycle through content, so EG2 can be a bit boring. the seams of a lower budget development cycle show through too often, with the aforementioned copy pasted conversations for each 'unique' player avatar. i wouldn't go out and recommend this game to people who haven't heard of it, but if you have fond memories of the first game you should at some point give the second game a try, you will probably like it enough to get your money's worth

if you played both theme hospital and two point hospital its pretty similar, except i think two point hospital is slightly better of a modernization than evil genius 2

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

The game plays like its a f2p phone game where you have to do a pile of poo poo that's busy work for no meaningful reason at all to advance. It just drags the game out pointlessly.

That said, I still enjoyed it but there's a lot of room for balance improvements.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i treated it as a challenge to find ways to destroy all intruders including super agents with traps. i mostly succeeded, but the solution was to use clusters of one kind of trap so it wasn't very satisfying. the rest of the game was even less satisfying.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah as a big fan of the original I'd describe this one as okay. They could've done much better. But if you liked the first one and picked this up on a Steam sale you can have a good time with it. Just being able to reconfigure the base instead of being stuck with a dumb thing you did for expedience in the first half hour makes it a lot more playable.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I honestly think I'd like the game if minions could survive the missions instead of having to replace all of them each time. They gave them all traits and personalities and then you just have to send them out to die. Maybe if different geniuses handled that differently?

The comparison to Two-Point Hospital is apt. It's okay, but there's not a lot to recommend it over the original.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Tricky Ed posted:

I honestly think I'd like the game if minions could survive the missions instead of having to replace all of them each time. They gave them all traits and personalities and then you just have to send them out to die. Maybe if different geniuses handled that differently?

The comparison to Two-Point Hospital is apt. It's okay, but there's not a lot to recommend it over the original.

You absolutely can specify minions not to go on missions if you like their traits though? Also whilst obviously they don’t come back, if they succeed in their mission the narrative conceit is they simply retire with a lucrative severance instead of return to your base and bringing the fuzz.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah as a big fan of the original I'd describe this one as okay. They could've done much better. But if you liked the first one and picked this up on a Steam sale you can have a good time with it. Just being able to reconfigure the base instead of being stuck with a dumb thing you did for expedience in the first half hour makes it a lot more playable.

Definitely agree with this.

I enjoyed the game and don't regret getting it, but have played through exactly once and haven't picked it up since.

I don't know why it doesn't have the addictive appeal of the first game despite doing a lot of things better.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

When you really get down to it, EG2 improves on EG1 in a lot of small ways. I would happily say it is, from a neutral perspective, the better game. But it doesn't generally improve on EG1 enough. The different geniuses have dialogue and storylines, but outside their individual plots they have identical dialogue so they don't really have more personality. The world stage screen has less maintenance busywork, but it still has quite a lot of maintenance busywork. Research is no longer about throwing darts blindfolded, but the replacement system leaves most of your laboratory unused at any given time. You can rearrange your base and have mechanics to ensure new building space opens up regualrly, but you're still working with one base for the whole campaign. It's two steps forward and one step back all over the place.

EG1 came out when its competition in the field was Dungeon Keeper/2 and maybe Theme Hospital if you squint. EG2 has to compete with hundreds of management/strategy base-building games, and since it's a sequel it doesn't have the novelty of the concept going for it either. EG1 was a good game for 2004. EG2 is a good game for 2014 that unfortunately came out in 2021.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tricky Ed posted:

making all minions expendable is a design conceit, because otherwise when the minions are off your island doing things the game has to keep track of them on your population cap so that you don't end up in a situation where tons of minions are stored off-island and come back all at once for a HUGE party. in the original evil genius surviving minions would return to the island and this had the effect of meaning you had to balance the number of minions you had around your base doing things against the number of minions out in the world. it's a lot simpler for the player to just fire minions out into the void and not care about them retuning, even though this heavily conflicts with the entire system of giving minions traits and reasons to care about them individually

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I don't think simpler is better.

My problem with this game is that you can absolutely tell it was supposed to be a phone game at one point. Its slow, cumbersome, the traps aren't as fun and the writing is worse. It looks pretty, at least.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

dogstile posted:

I don't think simpler is better.

My problem with this game is that you can absolutely tell it was supposed to be a phone game at one point. Its slow, cumbersome, the traps aren't as fun and the writing is worse. It looks pretty, at least.

I don't think it was intended to be a mobile game but apparently the lead on the game had mostly been making mobile stuff so that probably affected it a lot.

Anyway I'm going to throw my opinion into the pile and say I did like the game but would recommend it only on sale. It definitely feels like they could have done better than they did.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Mans posted:

Game is a good lair builder. It lacks some of the flair of the first game, though, and figuring out how to optimize your base will likely mean starting over a few times. This DLC was the last one in the season in pass, so the next time it's on sale is probably a good time to buy if you're holding off due to price.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Game is so dead that noone cares how out of date this thread title is.

I was right on page one.  

me page 1 posted:

I worry about their "seasons" and already knowing dlc plans and their "we have nothing to announce at this time" answer to workshop mods

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Does anyone know of any other recent games like this? I already own the two Dungeon Keepers on GoG, War for the Overworld, the three Dungeons games, and even Dwelvers (oof).

Even willing to go 2d for my fix if necessary. Just like carving out rooms and training up minions to do my bidding.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

wukkar posted:

Game is so dead that noone cares how out of date this thread title is.

I was right on page one.  

Ehh game is still fun.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Games fun but a shadow of its former self. As someone who was waiting for a sequel for years, I want to say it was a Facebook exclusive web game for a bit

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Zil posted:

Does anyone know of any other recent games like this? I already own the two Dungeon Keepers on GoG, War for the Overworld, the three Dungeons games, and even Dwelvers (oof).

Even willing to go 2d for my fix if necessary. Just like carving out rooms and training up minions to do my bidding.

Do you have Evil Genius 1? It's a bit slow at times but still amazing.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Zil posted:

Empires of the Undergrowth is another dungeon-builder, featuring ants. Very slow development though, it's a team of three people.

Otherwise, the colony builder genre might scratch the same itch. Dwarf Fortress, Rimworld, Oxygen Not Included, you know the sort of thing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Zil posted:

Empires of the Undergrowth is modern Sim Ant and you can level/train up your stuff by spending food. No laser spider either.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/463530/Empires_of_the_Undergrowth/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

KeeperRL is another option. One developer so development is slow but he has been continually adding stuff to it for years. I think there is a free ASCII version on the home page as well.