Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gently caress SNEEP posted:

I also played through EG1 again! Still (mostly) holds up, but the game was always a little rough around the edges... this unofficial patch I got that fixed a lot of issues also seems to have rebalanced it a bit and made the game much more easy. It was pretty tough originally so I didn't mind!

Eh, I dunno. A lot of EG1 is pretty much just sitting around doing absolutely nothing and it has a ton of frustrating mechanics (You can't force a minion to interrogate someone, prisoners slowly lose HP; Minions doing a task is based on proxmity ignoring walls).

I think the stuff people remember about EG really fondly is the base building, which is generally pretty good, but that's like the first hour of what you do in a 20 hour game. You played it recently, but did you finish it? :v:

They do seem to be doing a bit more for the other gameplay like letting you take an active measure to reduce heat, which does bode well at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's pretty cool how Eli and Jubei is back.

Even if Lord Kane was the only good henchman. :v:

A possibly interesting video, a longform review of Evil Genius 1 by youtuber tehsnakerer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-404kgsaDA

I think he's fair on it, and he had a number of points he both liked and disliked, it came out right after EG2 was announced in 2017.

rideANDxORdie posted:

I loved the first game as a kid and am very much on board with what I'm seeing so far. The first EG had a great base building and trap setting system, but the minion AI and the fact that everything on the map was kind of just idle game stuff meant you could end up with long stretches of nothing if you didn't know how to keep yourself entertained. I actually went back and played it again a bit last year and it definitely felt unfinished or rushed, so I think there is something to be said for EG2 being more of the same but with more polish and modern QOL stuff.

One thing I LOVED about EG that I wish more base builders did was how they set up the campaign so that you moved to a second, brand new island to give you a chance to re-do your whole base with the full suite of toys available, compared to having to slowly flesh out your first base and expand as you unlocked more stuff. I love the feeling of hitting the second island all excited to design your ideal lair after you realize all the bottlenecks and issues with your old layout

The worst thing about island 2 is that all your poo poo's sitting on the lawn and your heat blasts up to 10000% because any errant agent starts taking selfies with them like a teenager on instagram.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 13, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Have they said why Maximillian looks the same despite Jubei going from a young man to old dude?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i dunno that i'm crazy about any of the evil geniuses in this one, but i am glad that max looks much more like some type of rat goblin now

Probably for the best they got rid of shen yu (or at least that accent) but I would love for an absurd over the top robot guy like Zurg from toy story.

Unlikely considering the state of s2 lol

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 25, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dogstile posted:

Every time i read this thread i'm unreasonably upset about how they butchered this game.

So, a true successor. :v: