Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Ya the super agents are a really crappy part of Evil Genius 1. If you don't know the one way to take them out they will destroy your entire base. I think I've had to look it up every time I've encountered them :mad:

Spin Doctors my man!

EG1 was a great game and the simplicity of the mechanics was perfect. What I don't want is having to micro my minions and I definitely don't want to do "chores" to keep gauges from filling up. Let me build my fortress as a passive defense to the various ways the game fights me including murder rooms, tourist distraction areas, interrogation etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Something I liked about EG1 was the concept of "scouting" for Acts of Infamy. It was fairly shallow, but it was kind of fun finding the really hidden ones. So yea I really hope they do something about the world map to make it engaging without making it a chore.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Nephthys posted:

I like Zalika's style, it's very Mars Attacks. I'm leaning towards her for a first playthrough, maybe with the robot girl for maximum Science! And it's good to see Red Ivan is back considering he was basically a meme in the first game with how much he destroyed your own base all the time.

Who was everyone's favorite Henchmen in the first game? I remember the Butcher was the best in combat since one of his attack animations was him wildly chopping and each chop counted as a separate hit. Him vs Jet Chan was always an epic showdown determined by how often that animation got used. Psycho Granny was very fun too.

I'm going Max for my first EG2 play through as he was also my go to for EG1.
As for henchmen I also liked Red Ivan, but Eli Barracuda was my favorite just because of his one shot ability, made cleaning up errant agents easy.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

gently caress SNEEP posted:

I did it, I dominated the world! Now, canonically, Evil Genius 2 can happen and be released in 8 days. You're welcome all.

I dont' see John Steele on top of that rocket so therefore you have doomed us all when he comes back in EG2.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

GruntyThrst posted:

It depends on the Genius. For Kalika (science lady) you get a scheme to steal a tech you don’t have. I *think* the level you fire at determines how good a tech you steal can be (for example firing at level 2 I was able to unlock a max tier trap long before I could have researched it)

This is interesting. I wonder if it's just traps or if you could in theory unlock the ability to dig end-game walls.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Yea. You should be able to do multiple side missions, and multiple research as long as it requires different types of equipment. Plus there should be missions on the board that do things beside give money or reduce heat. Why can't I just go steal the mona-lisa without turning it into some big multi-step process?

Maybe the missions could be hidden so that when you interrogate enough agents they will unlock without needing research or whatever. You could even use the voice line that already exists in the game.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tenebrais posted:

Back when I first discovered EG1 I saw it described as a spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper, and I wonder how the game would play out with a structure more like that - where you go through a series of ~20 different bases over the course of the campagin, building them under different conditions and constraints so you stretch your design muscles in different ways. Maybe you're taking over the world one region at a time, and go up against super-agents and crime lords each in turn. That would keep it a bit more fresh.

This would be a good idea and is one of the reasons I liked EG1 so much. The first island you are trying things out, see what works and what doesn't, and if you mess up, well tough luck since there is no re-walling. But then you get to the second island and you take what you learned from the first one, and you get to do it right this time. It's great.

EG2 you have one island, you can redo it as much as you want, and you have so much space that you never have to optimize anything except the entrance. I do think it would be a better game if you had a new base for every region that had certain limitations/mechanics in each. Then the end game level would be your volcano fortress where you build your doomsday device, and you'd have access to the entire world map to do your schemes. Have only research and henchmen roll-over from previous levels as well as a base core of say 20 minions.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Carcer posted:

This is a really good mission and it shows up regularly. You can really rebuild your base worker count quickly with it.

You can buy 5 workers for 10k anytime you want though and once you open tier2 networks, you'll have more then enough cash to mash that buy worker button. I keep my total worker count around 285 when it drops below that I'll just spend 10k real quick.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Section Z posted:

Well I was asking myself "How are people having issues with money or heat when everything seems fine to me where I like building", only to realize nearly everywhere outside of Sabre was a letdown no matter how tempting it sounded on the surface. Patriot seems like it could also be cool if your base can't afford to spam intel computers due to space/initial cash constraints, as long as you are ready to be disappointed with level 3 networks because of what CLEARLY (right? hopefully?) is a bug with it's mission payout at that tier in my grand tour of the sandbox map.

"Wait, Smash pays extra? gently caress yeah-That is loving 80 heat for a 100 heat cap. Nope, gently caress that for now... Oh, Anvil has better heat schemes? That will make expanding so much smoother-Is that literally half or less money than I'm making in Sabre?"

Basically it is reinforcing my :corsair: opinion that "Tradeoffs" is a dirty word in game design these days where Devs think they have to punish a +1 bonus with a -5 penalty or else it will be OP/discourage "Build variety".

I also only checked this regarding Island 1, so who knows maybe it changes depending on your island?

So yeah. Make a save, then shotgun out networks of varied levels across the world to see what they are actually giving you compared to eachother, and reload once you are sure.

It would be even more boring if all the territories were exactly the same. I think it's fine for some territories to be better then others and it's also fine for not all of them to be perfectly balanced at all tiers where 5 intel is always worth $50k or whatever.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Saint Freak posted:

When you're in the wrong line of work.

Danaru posted:

I had a guy with the same bonuses.

Technician :negative:

You can actually brain-wash minions then (hopefully) retrain him as a guard, but that is way too much micro imo.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I havne't been able to recruit an additional henchman. All the henchman mission I take just end with the henchmen dying. Is the recruit option on the world-map or is it the specific side-mission you take? Where is the critical "decision moment" that determines if you recruit or kill the henchman?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

seaborgium posted:

How do you all get the agents with higher smarts to actually fall victim to your traps? Right now they all just disable every single one of my traps besides the Disco Laser as soon as they see them, with no way to lower their smarts. I've got a trap corridor that's basically a power/space sink that is more lethal to my own people on the rare occasion one of the traps actually gets set off. I don't mind the super agents getting past them, that makes sense. But as soon as investigators have over 50 smarts and start to go through the non-cover operation entrance every trap I have becomes useless.

Spin Doctors and your cover operation both lower agent skill which increases the effectiveness of the traps.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I have the stairs down to my vault right in the middle of my main base hallway. I let Symmetry gently caress around down stairs in the vault as long as she wants, but when she comes up she is surrounded on all sides and normally can only kill maybe 5 minions.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
im on a side mission for a henchman and im waiting for an art dealer to take the fake painting. but he isnt showing up. anything i can do?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
They just need to fix the side-objectives so that some of them don't take multiple steps and also the ability to pursue them at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Captain Oblivious posted:

I wonder how many times actual factual developers from all corners of the industry will have to post in this subforum that this is not how content production works before we stop getting these big brain posts. Oh well.

Paid DLC negatively affects game development. :dealwithit: