Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't think DMC games nor musou really capture what people liked about 2D brawlers.

What was the main draw of 2d brawlers for most people?

Serious question, because I was pretty uninterested in the genre until SoR4 came out and blew my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there a console that has had more beat em up releases than the switch? I know the PC has literally everything, but from a console standpoint?

We are truly living in the golden era

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Jack Trades posted:

Serious question, because I was pretty uninterested in the genre until SoR4 came out and blew my mind.

If you like SOR4 then you'll like the better classic games - SOR4's great and reflects a lot of modern sensibilities about 2D combat design but it doesn't reinvent the wheel or anything, it's still very much a genre game.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there a console that has had more beat em up releases than the switch? I know the PC has literally everything, but from a console standpoint?

We are truly living in the golden era

I don't think there are many beat em ups worth mentioning on Switch that aren't also everywhere else, everyone's eating right now.

The only recent console-exclusive beat em up that springs to mind right now is that new Battletoads game, which is only on Xbox (but it is on PC).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Elissimpark posted:

Has there been any serious attempt at doing a 3D beat 'em up since Godhand? Or is it mostly more retro 2D scrollers?

Sifu?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If you like SOR4 then you'll like the better classic games - SOR4's great and reflects a lot of modern sensibilities about 2D combat design but it doesn't reinvent the wheel or anything, it's still very much a genre game.

The two main parts of SoR4 that I like, the combo system depth and the fact that special moves are not a limited resource, seem to be pretty exclusive to it, at least to my knowledge.
The only other Beat'em Up that I found that does the same is Fight'N'Rage, that one was also good.

I suppose River City games are also supposed to do that, allegedly, but I could never get into any of them.
The visuals are usually bad, the moves feel bad to use, and the fact that you don't have any move variety at all until you've done enough grinding is literally the worst.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Elissimpark posted:

Has there been any serious attempt at doing a 3D beat 'em up since Godhand? Or is it mostly more retro 2D scrollers?

I'm really surprised to find out so many people distinguish brawlers from hack and slashers; they're all just beat em ups to me because it's not like the number of punches and kicks vs sword strokes is ever tied to anything other than game flow

That said, 3d beat em ups:

The Warriors (original Xbox era)
The Bouncer (ps2?)
Arkham Asylum
Absolver
Remember Me

None of these feel much like the 2d versions, because it's just fundamentally different to be in 3d, though Arkham definitely hits the feel of managing a large group of diverse enemies in a sprawling brawl.

Of all of them so think The Warriors is the one that gets overlooked; it really could have been the new face of Beat em Up mechanics if Arkham hadn't happened.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The Warriors was excellent for its time. Good use of the source material married to good gameplay.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The variety of environmental attacks and light MMA was *really* good. Like, yeah, you can just do some kickboxing on some guys, but to manage a large crowd you're going to have to slam one guy against a car, throw the next through an old picket fence, and take down and ground and pound the third. It really captures my favorite thing about beat em ups, which is just barely staying a step ahead of a crowd of enemies, off putting them with a series of diverse attacks and maneuvers.

Edit: Ditto on capturing the film's aesthetic; it's old RockStar in a nutshell; a clear appreciation of a film classic in an mechanically interesting game. Manhunt, The Warriors, Bully, Red Dead Revolver; when Rock Star was happy to make three or four truly interesting games instead of Red Dead Redemption and GTA, forever.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 21, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I would have said The Warriors or The Bouncer, but those were before God Hand.

The thing about 2D beat-em-ups is that as the name suggests that's all there is to it. In 2D it's very easy to identify what a beat-em-up is. In 3D the definition gets murkier. You can have a game that is mostly beating people up but there'll often be other gameplay types mixed in or much longer stretches between beating up enemies. Playing the Arkham games does not feel like SNES Batman Returns.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

I don't think DMC games nor musou really capture what people liked about 2D brawlers.

I mean, most 2D Brawlers didn't either- a vast majority of the belt scroller brawler genre is irredeemable garbage. Hell, even of the OG Three, Sega never really figured the right way to actually make Golden Axe a better game, Capcom took a long while to figure out that solid mechanics don't forgive unfair bullshit everywhere (a lesson that never fully manifested as later levels of Shadows, AvP, and Battle Circuit would still demonstrate), and Konami made a bunch of poorly-playing licenced spectacle of which the only really enduring titles are Manhatten Project and the home ports of Turtles in Time. They weirdly did better with belt scrolling SHOOTERS like Bucky O'Hare and Sunsetriders.

Home-only releases like Kunio, Streets of Rage, and Guardian Heroes would help flesh the genre out some, but the belt brawler is one area where modern entries have grossly obsoleted most of the classic entries in the genre.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Regarding difficulty, yeah Final Fight might as well after the Bayside stage for me personally; it FEELS like you've survived the worst a Warriors style gang can offer at that point and I think I've actually beaten the game... once?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Jack Trades posted:

Default Bayonetta moveset is all kicks and punches.

I did play a bit of Bayonetta. The setting and humour was great and it had a similar feel to Godhand, which is not surprising because Platinum Games was formed from the ashes of Clover Studios. It just felt a bit button-mashy.

Yeah, this. I watched some gameplay on Youtube and while it looks fun, its not quite the fun I remember having with Godhand (which, by extension, is the fun I remember having with 2D brawlers as a kid).

That looks pretty interesting. I like they worked in an Oldboy homage.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm really surprised to find out so many people distinguish brawlers from hack and slashers; they're all just beat em ups to me because it's not like the number of punches and kicks vs sword strokes is ever tied to anything other than game flow

This is an interesting point - I doubt there's anyone who wouldn't call Golden Axe a beat 'em up, and thinking about it, part of why I liked Heavenly Sword on the PS3 was because it it felt like what I liked about beat 'em up games. In a way, the Souls games kinda scratch a similar itch too.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Final fight's interesting because the Jab is quite good and all characters posess a trivial infinite involving it but the enemies have AI and numbers that can absolutely get around that toolset.

(the real heads know Haggar is the worst character and his main advantage is his long jab- the vaunted pile driver is severely affected by the damage scaling and he can drop people he's holding at random)

Mr. Locke posted:

I mean, most 2D Brawlers didn't either- a vast majority of the belt scroller brawler genre is irredeemable garbage. Hell, even of the OG Three, Sega never really figured the right way to actually make Golden Axe a better game, Capcom took a long while to figure out that solid mechanics don't forgive unfair bullshit everywhere (a lesson that never fully manifested as later levels of Shadows, AvP, and Battle Circuit would still demonstrate), and Konami made a bunch of poorly-playing licenced spectacle of which the only really enduring titles are Manhatten Project and the home ports of Turtles in Time. They weirdly did better with belt scrolling SHOOTERS like Bucky O'Hare and Sunsetriders.

Home-only releases like Kunio, Streets of Rage, and Guardian Heroes would help flesh the genre out some, but the belt brawler is one area where modern entries have grossly obsoleted most of the classic entries in the genre.

Oh, a lot of the output of even the heyday was trash. AvP is funny in that playing the predators is a shockingly fair experience while the human characters have some significant limitations.

One thing i'll say for the old belt scrollers is that I like that the emphasis is more on enemy AI manipulation than on sick combos because i find that aspect of SoR4 to be boring- at least Fight'n'Rage has the combos be really easy to execute overall.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

I cannot recommend Sifu enough and think that's probably the only thing close that'll scratch the itch without going hard into the Character Action genre.

Sort of 3D related, there's also Midnight Fight Express which releases next month and is a take on The Warriors/Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks style isometric beat em up. What I played of the demo was enjoyable though a little clunky and in need of some polish.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Lobok posted:

Speaking of, I saw some people started a beat-em-up magazine just recently:

https://www.brawlersalley.com/

Thank you for posting this, it's amazing.
Flicked them a donation immediately as I hope they can keep this going.

Unless I just haven't stumbled onto it, beat em ups as a genre don't seem to have much of a community space which is a shame.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Mode 7 posted:

I cannot recommend Sifu enough and think that's probably the only thing close that'll scratch the itch without going hard into the Character Action genre.

Sort of 3D related, there's also Midnight Fight Express which releases next month and is a take on The Warriors/Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks style isometric beat em up. What I played of the demo was enjoyable though a little clunky and in need of some polish.

How story heavy is Sifu? Bluntly, I don't like video games as story telling, just want to kick some butts.

Even the Bad Dudes intro waffles on a bit, in my opinion.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

very little cutscenes relative to the amount of action you get, maybe 5% or so of the whole game

there definitely is a story though! and one that i enjoyed

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

How story heavy is Sifu? Bluntly, I don't like video games as story telling, just want to kick some butts.

Not very. Short cutscene intro for bosses and short cutscene afterwards.

It's Epic exclusive on PC if that's a dealbreaker for you, or available on PS4, and currently 20% off on both.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I was gonna say Sifu is punishing to newbies but they've updated the game quite a bit and there are now difficulty options so really it's more accessible than ever.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Elissimpark posted:

Sifu has some 'High Concept' fights (there's an art museum) where they use environmental storytelling, but the story is very ignorable

Sifu is really, really good. There's probably a sizable overlap between liking martial arts films and liking beat'em'ups; Sifu is a love letter to martial arts films

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Also the devs are releasing an update for it next month that adds modifiers you can toggle on for runs like unbreakable weapons, bullet time, or my absolute favourite from the preview clips - low gravity.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Jack Trades posted:

eating an entire roast chicken straight out of a garbage can

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jose Mengelez posted:

So is Castlevania a beat'em'up then?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

River City Ransom is a Beatemuptroidvania

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

So is Castlevania a beat'em'up then?

A wall is not a garbage can. :colbert:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Elissimpark posted:

You just kick the living poo poo out of people op. It has a story but it's not lots of cutscenes or anything. You kick the poo poo out of people as story.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mode 7 posted:

It's nature's garbage can.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Jose Mengelez posted:

My mate plays sor4 with burgers but he knows they're chickens. Anything that gives large health in a videogame is a roast chicken.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

JBP posted:

You just kick the living poo poo out of people op. It has a story but it's not lots of cutscenes or anything. You kick the poo poo out of people as story.

Violence as narrative, perfect. I think I'll have a look when I finish this round of school work.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mode 7 posted:

My crawlspace begs to differ.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

A beat 'em up where food replenishes your energy, but also adds to your nap-o-meter, progressively making your character more sluggish.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

A beat 'em up where food replenishes your energy, but also adds to your nap-o-meter, progressively making your character more sluggish.

So when you have used a certain amount of healing you have no choice but to take a rest, maybe at some sort of bonfire, before you can use more healing?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

So when you have used a certain amount of healing you have no choice but to take a rest, maybe at some sort of bonfire, before you can use more healing?

Suddenly Siegmeyer/Siegward makes so much sense.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Elissimpark posted:

I encountered a mechanic like this, but not in a beat-em-up. There was a game called 'Baby Jo in:Going Home'. Cute baby is left in the wilds. Control the baby through platforming to get home. As you'd expect, there are food pick-ups for score. Problem; the more you pick up, the fuller your nappy gets. The fuller that is, the slower you move and the lower you jump. There are fresh nappy pick ups scattered through the stages every so often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBaT2wWDcQg&ab_channel=WorldofLongplays

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 23, 2022

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i'm always getting arrested for smashing mailboxes with a bat because i keep expecting to find a free rotisserie chicken in there.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

How are you getting arrested if you have a bat?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

It mysteriously vanishes after a few swings.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Oh that's fair.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Hey thread, it's been a while. I haven't really dived into the beat em ups in my backlog post Shredder's Revenge as I've been busy playing other stuff but there's still a few games I'd like to check out before the year wraps.

That said, have some news - WayForward have posted a character trailer for Marian in River City Girls 2. She looks fun as hell, love that diving tackle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMf4TGT1PVY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
I wonder if they're fans of Dorohedoro.