Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Also gotta recommend Streets of Rage Remake v5.2, a fanmade recreation of the original SOR trilogy with a remixed soundtrack, branching levels, tons of unlockables and an expanded moveset for all characters. Before SOR4 it was the most definitive version of the classic beatemup franchise, and despite Sega's half-hearted attempts to strike it down every few years, is freely available to download online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

New TMNT gameplay trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GemOAwU-9fo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I hope they improve the TTK and unlock system in RCG2. Just give me all the cool poo poo right away, don't make me have to slowly search through lockers to buy all the cool poo poo!!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

SoR4's super simple additions of wall bounces, health restore and a rolling combo counter really transform the gameplay into almost CAG levels of stylish, expressive combat. I'd like to think I've gotten pretty good over my last 18 months playing the game but then I'll watch somebody's full link Stage 6 Mania+ perfect clear and realize how much better people can be. One thing I've always liked about Streets of Rage over other beatemups is that they have really strong character archetypes, and SoR4 goes even harder into making everyone on the roster look and play uniquely. Not bad for a game with two attack buttons.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Something that I think makes not just SOR4 but the entire Streets of Rage series superior for me is character. From the second game onwards they took an almost fighting game level approach to making the roster visually appealing, diverse and distinct without being so complex that you couldn’t still mash and have a good time. There are so many forgettable beatemups where your character is just a dude with no special moves or unique flavor whatsoever and it’s so lame compared to a game where you can play as a kid on rollerblades, a professional wrestler, and a scientist with robot arms. Even their basic combos communicate everything you need to know about the character such that everybody can see something cool. This is something that Lizardcube and co. completely picked up on in SOR4. Every single aspect of the character designs and animations give you something to identify with, for both the new and returning roster. Riot Grrl with a guitar, buff cop lady with grenades, even details like Axel’s beard all tell a little story. Streets of Rage totally gets that people want to embody characters instead of blank vessels, which is one reason why it’s always been a step above its contemporaries for me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I’m really hoping that Shredder’s Revenge can bring it because I don’t want SOR4 to be the only good beatemup for another 10 years like SORR was.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

With any luck, wresting Street Fighter VI from Capcom's grotesque claymation animators.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Mode 7 posted:

Anyone know of any resources (written or video or lurking in a disused forum somewhere) breaking down beat em up strategy/mechanics?

Anthopants is maybe the most prolific Streets of Rage player in the world and has a video series discussing all the little mechanics and glitches behind the curtain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCBdvYi1uN4

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I got in the first 8 stages before work and it's good, folks.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

My very early impression is that it’s a bit more button mashy + less technical than SOR4 but still feels very fluid and fun. Animations and humor are on-point. Seems more built for co-op, it gets pretty crazy with 2/3 more players.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I've cleared through all of Arcade mode as April and Raph now, and drat April rules. Insanely good DP and divekick, EZ wall combos.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

SOR4's pencil-drawn artstyle is incredible but I think TMNT ultimately made the right call just lifting from Turtles in Time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Walk straight up or down into the bad guy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Most important beginner advice for SOR4 is "use specials." Don't be afraid of the health cost, don't hesitate to spam your special 3-4 times if you think you can get away with it, if the bad guys can't hit back because they're all dead then it was a judicious use of your skills. Think of green health as staggering the damage you would have otherwise taken if you just stood there and tried to punch. Make use of your blitz attacks (forward forward punch) as they have i-frames on startup (but high recovery, usually). Air specials also give you immunity and will crush any aerial attack like the dropkick ladies. The other concepts that are important to learn early are staggering and enemy stacking. You don't want to unload your full combo chain on dudes as soon as they come at you. Instead you kind of want to time it so all the bad guys approach from one side, in one stack that's easy to hit. It's difficult to explain but with practice you'll get better at staggering your combo chain so that more enemies will stack up on each other.

For good beginner characters I recommend Adam or Blaze. They're well-rounded characters with good damage and very powerful tools from neutral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u7CXLWbT7w

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Harrow posted:

Thanks for all the SOR4 advice everyone. I got to stage 7 with Blaze but got owned by the Estel + Commissioner fight and decided to take a break before I get back at it. Something that keeps loving me up is when I try to go for a jump kick but an enemy just smacks me out of the sky and I'm having a hard time learning when I should or shouldn't jumping attack.

Most of the time a simple neutral jump is enough to counter any aerial attack. Blaze has a really good air special because it's invulnerable and you can use it twice to change directions midair. As for Estel on Stage 7, you can grab her own grenades with B and throw them back at her.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Is there no way to change the difficulty in Story Mode once you've started? I want to bump things up to Gnarly but I also don't wanna lose all my character progress.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't think I've gone a single three-stage stretch in MP without the game freezing or getting booted out of the lobby. It plays well enough once you're actually in the level but they really need an option for a permanent player marker because it can be so difficult to find your character.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I wish TMNT had a ranking system or score attack mode for the stages. Once you settle in with a character and complete all the challenges that's Kind of It as far as the skill ceiling goes. No I don't want to "make my own fun," I want the game to give me a letter grade!!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Paprium, that 16-bit retro beatemup made for Sega Genesis, is allegedly getting a next-gen port although with how long the game took to come out I wouldn't count on it happening anytime soon.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

How soon we all forget The Quiet Man.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

As long as games keep giving me buff beatdown girls, I'll keep playing them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

30fps... on a pixel art beatemup. :cmon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I am looking forward to Wanted: Dead releasing on Tuesday but that's also more character action than a traditional beatemup. Paprium is also allegedly® coming to next-gen consoles and PC at some point.