Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

This is the thread for all the spoiler talk about "So I'm a Spider, So What?" Given the mystery and the fact that we're going to be getting a new LN in about a week it's a good place to split out the LN talk.

Anime onlys beware.

Here's a quick summary of the story as it stands now:

I'm having a good time watching the anime folks try to figure things out.

It's especially fun to see all the things you can go, "Yes, but also no" like Kumoko being the demon lord.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

I'm stoked for a space to talk about our favorite spider(s) freely! I cannot wait for Vol 11 to come out. The two storylines are rapidly approaching, and even though the author has implied this will be a human story heavy (if not completely human story) it's quite exciting!!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You, uh, want the thread tag changed?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

Here's a quick summary of the story as it stands now:

Volume 11 is all about Julius and his childhood
Reading 12 now, and the whole volume is about the human-dumon war, showing all the different battles that happened there
Not a lot of Kumoko in either of those volumes

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I binged the series over a week and I love how it went from "Yeah, video game rules would be weird from inside" to a three way battle for the fate of the world. Maybe because I managed to read a couple of years worth of the story all at once but it felt like the author did a pretty good job with pacing the reveals and the world building.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Wark Say posted:

You, uh, want the thread tag changed?

Sure. makes the most sense.

Also I'm a pretty big fan of this part.

I assume we will likely get to the clash of the three armies and the reveal of White as a cliffhanger at the end of the second cour.

That means we should get to see the Demon lord smashing through the roof to stop Terminator Potimas like a superhero if they don't rearrange stuff. I'm really excited to see how the anime only folks start reacting when the Elves true nature starts getting revealed and we start getting sci-fi.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 14, 2021

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

8one6 posted:

I binged the series over a week and I love how it went from "Yeah, video game rules would be weird from inside" to a three way battle for the fate of the world. Maybe because I managed to read a couple of years worth of the story all at once but it felt like the author did a pretty good job with pacing the reveals and the world building.

Writing the same story twice helps (web novel and printed release). The original version was a lot more messy. Basically none of the content past volume 3 is copied straight from the web novel, even when it covers the same events.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 14, 2021

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I really liked the anime so I went on to read the manga. I was so confused. as the manga didn't have the human plot. I thought it would be later in the manga and the anime just added it from the start. Turns out. the light novel has everything.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Tamba posted:

Not a lot of Kumoko in either of those volumes
I skimmed pretty much all the non-Kumoko parts all the way through ten. I look forward to seeing how it plays out, since I'm certainly missing a lot of resulting connections. The non-Kumoko parts of the anime still aren't interesting to me, but some of the puzzles might end up getting solved.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Has anyone here read both the WN and the LN? I'm kinda curious about how far behind the Light Novels are. I know there are some changes between them and new stuff added, but I still haven't got around to reading the LN.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Thread tag and small title update change. Enjoy!

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Rubellavator posted:

Has anyone here read both the WN and the LN? I'm kinda curious about how far behind the Light Novels are. I know there are some changes between them and new stuff added, but I still haven't got around to reading the LN.

I've read both the WN and the LN, but due to changes between the two (for example, about 90% of LN4 is new, massively expanded from what was almost an offhand comment in the WN, and LN7 is essentially entirely LN-original) I'm not sure how far behind I'd say the LNs are.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

How does she reach godhood if not by consuming the continent destroying bomb?

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

In the WN she stumbled on an underground facility with a bunch of robots in it, reverse-engineered and mimicked their anti-System field to cancel it out and let her use skills, then smashed them all and absorbed their power. Much less climactic than LN7.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

TBH, LN 7 felt like a wacky side story. Were it not for the godhood elevation at the end which impacted everything after it would have felt like part of a completely different series.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well that's exactly how I'd describe it feeling in the WN so it sounds like the author made it much longer but didn't really fix the problem.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 15, 2021

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

LN7 did give her (and us the readers) an up close look at how much of a bastard the leader of the Elves actually is.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

8one6 posted:

LN7 did give her (and us the readers) an up close look at how much of a bastard the leader of the Elves actually is.

I mean they kind of already did that when he killed Sophia's parents and tried to kill Kumoko, Sophia, and Merazophis but got butt blasted by Ariel back in the end of Vol 5.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
This must be the thread to ask questions like YO WHAT THE HELL IS THE ANIME DOING? There are some many details being left out!

No trauma at the hands of Alaba.
Kumo didn't see Mother fighting Rend, and didn't notice she had irrational hatred of dragons during the fight afterwards.

So why would she go fight Alaba now? Maybe she's going to fight Alaba for no good reason, then figure out why she acted like that? I guess that could work.

There are a lot of other details being left out too. Appraisal results aren't showing the original names of reincarnations. Merzaophis wasn't introduced during the demon coucil. Ronandt didn't see the weird thing that happens when a reincarnation levels up.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Maxwell Adams posted:

This must be the thread to ask questions like YO WHAT THE HELL IS THE ANIME DOING? There are some many details being left out!

No trauma at the hands of Alaba.
Kumo didn't see Mother fighting Rend, and didn't notice she had irrational hatred of dragons during the fight afterwards.

So why would she go fight Alaba now? Maybe she's going to fight Alaba for no good reason, then figure out why she acted like that? I guess that could work.

There are a lot of other details being left out too. Appraisal results aren't showing the original names of reincarnations. Merzaophis wasn't introduced during the demon coucil. Ronandt didn't see the weird thing that happens when a reincarnation levels up.

The real impetus for attacking Mother is when she tries to exert kin control over Kumoko and our protagonist will have none of that. They could move it to now and make it all one big arc. First she goes back into the middle layer and sees Mother fighting Alaba, then is Kin controlled to fight the dragon, which then drives her to fight Mother. That way it's all in one consecutive arc rather than getting split up over different separate encounters.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Preview for the next episode is out and it looks like they're putting it all into one big arc. We get the wasp fight, maybe the start of the Alaba fight, and get to show White blowing away the previous hero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xH_b4YA5rQ

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nitrousoxide posted:

Preview for the next episode is out and it looks like they're putting it all into one big arc. We get the wasp fight, maybe the start of the Alaba fight, and get to show White blowing away the previous hero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xH_b4YA5rQ

Oh good we get the butt stinging gag.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Finally found some time time to read light novel 10.

The increased detail about why certain actions were taken (e.g. keeping the First Commander around after Kumoko knew he'd worked with Potimas, not rescuing Oka from the elves before the war even began, etc) was appreciated. And we got a funny fight scene where Kumoko tries to do a badass escape, fails, and just gets riddled with bullets.

Not sure what's being set up with the Sword of the Demon Lord. Maybe (wn spoilers) breaking the barrier instead of the random god bat? Or maybe that's what the scythe is for...

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
White's bootleg meteor spell is so drat good.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tamba posted:

Volume 11 is all about Julius and his childhood

That's what I read the volume 11 is about. Which... makes me wonder what's the point. He is a tertiary-level character, and one that it's already dead, so what's the point of a big flashback now?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

That's what I read the volume 11 is about. Which... makes me wonder what's the point. He is a tertiary-level character, and one that it's already dead, so what's the point of a big flashback now?

A lot of the story was about him hunting down a human trafficking ring (that actually was a front for Potimas' reincarnator abduction scheme).

So it's not completely unrelated, but there really wasn't much new information in that volume.
And just about zero Kumoko content (but we do get some cute Sophia interludes.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
It still sounds pretty boring and pointless. I wasn't thrilled that so much of LNs 8 and 9 focused on Kyouya, but at least he has a role in the present-day events. The last time the battle at the elf village was mentioned was vol 5. By the end of vol 10 it seemed like all the necessary background had been filled in so that the story could return to that fight. The LNs already repeat themselves excessively, so adding entire books' worth of extra padding isn't very enticing.

As for the series, it'll be interesting to see if they can work in the important bits that were left out of the last couple of episodes like the friendly encounter with humans. Plus once Kumoko leaves the labyrinth, the plot will really get going.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

It still sounds pretty boring and pointless. I wasn't thrilled that so much of LNs 8 and 9 focused on Kyouya, but at least he has a role in the present-day events. The last time the battle at the elf village was mentioned was vol 5. By the end of vol 10 it seemed like all the necessary background had been filled in so that the story could return to that fight. The LNs already repeat themselves excessively, so adding entire books' worth of extra padding isn't very enticing.

As for the series, it'll be interesting to see if they can work in the important bits that were left out of the last couple of episodes like the friendly encounter with humans. Plus once Kumoko leaves the labyrinth, the plot will really get going.

The only real interaction that the previous hero had with Kumoko before he was killed was her fight with the demon lord above that battle back in volume five.

I really cannot envision what of importance could’ve happened back then besides that. I suppose if he’s encountering elves then maybe we get some additional backstory into them? That’s the only thing I can think of.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

With this episode there's really enough hints in place for anime only folks to figure out White is Kumoko. I wonder if anyone will make the connection.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Nitrousoxide posted:

With this episode there's really enough hints in place for anime only folks to figure out White is Kumoko. I wonder if anyone will make the connection.

Yeah, it's kind of obvious. People are already speculating that Kumoko's different minds will end up in different bodies, though. Some people think that the entire demon council was Kumoko. I'm waiting for puppet spider to be introduced just so I can see the theories popping off.

They're really changing things around, though. I think the scene where Fei makes a contract with Shun was new. They might be setting things up to get into Sasajima's story a bit early, which I am totally on board with.

They still haven't touched on Mother and kin control yet. I'm guessing they're going to have Kumoko freeze up during the fight with Alaba, just like the white spider froze up when it fought Julias.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Anime commentary: I'm surprised they kept the 'phoenix feather' plot device. I feel like such an item existing in the world would probably cause problems for writing the climactic conclusion to this story. I mean, Kumoko might not be able to utilize such an item, being outside the system, but she should be able to able to gather a bunch of them, with her spy network and ability to teleport.

Web novel spoilers: Unless, of course, I'm forgetting and the phoenix feather isn't real, and is just an in-story excuse to explain why he lived while Julius died?

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Bobulus posted:

Anime commentary: I'm surprised they kept the 'phoenix feather' plot device. I feel like such an item existing in the world would probably cause problems for writing the climactic conclusion to this story. I mean, Kumoko might not be able to utilize such an item, being outside the system, but she should be able to able to gather a bunch of them, with her spy network and ability to teleport.

Web novel spoilers: Unless, of course, I'm forgetting and the phoenix feather isn't real, and is just an in-story excuse to explain why he lived while Julius died?

I don't recall it being outright stated but I always assumed it wasn't a real thing and was just an excuse by Hyrince for why he survived, since he's secretly a Guliedistodiez clone and all.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think they've skipped the teratect fights because they (iirc) weren't in the WN and the only part that's really plot-essential is sending out her other selves to soul attack the mother teratects.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 19, 2021

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Bobulus posted:

Dartonus posted:

I don't recall it being outright stated but I always assumed it wasn't a real thing and was just an excuse by Hyrince for why he survived, since he's secretly a Guliedistodiez clone and all.

Them getting the phoenix feather is also in volume 11 of the novel, and at least the other characters seem to believe it works. There there are also a bunch of parties chasing after the phoenix hoping to get rich. So I don't think it's just Gyuri making up an exuse

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I like to imagine that the entire series is through White/Kumoko's eyes. Even the human stuff, which is being seen through mini-me's.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

I like to imagine that the entire series is through White/Kumoko's eyes. Even the human stuff, which is being seen through mini-me's.

Maybe not the whole series, but there definitely have been scenes on the human side with kinda weird camera angles...

Tamba fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 19, 2021

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Tamba posted:

Maybe not the whole series, but there definitely have been scenes on the human side with kinda weird camera angles...

Yeah, lots of shots from ground level, looking through windows, or hiding behind something. I've been collecting them.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Maxwell Adams posted:

Yeah, lots of shots from ground level, looking through windows, or hiding behind something. I've been collecting them.

This one at least kind of makes sense since one of the general effects of a low angle shot is to make the subject look more imposing.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
No invasion necessary, just let human civilisation collapse as everyone spends every waking moment in this exact state:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

No invasion necessary, just let human civilisation collapse as everyone spends every waking moment in this exact state:

I love that it's giving her a high five.

Also lol. I love how despite having seemingly completely at odds views both of these are right.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Besides Julius getting presumably getting taken out by a Rot attack followed by Kumoko bragging about her newly gained Rot Eye there's also the OP that shows the lady all in white covered in spider webs in Wakabe's eye. So unless there's something explicitly stating otherwise the Lady in White is clearly Kumoko.

AlternateNu posted:

How about this: The Demon Lord is Kumoko because she came out of nowhere, uses super strong threads to attack/bind people, and in the OP after she bites the planet, the zoom out with her cloak is overlaid with the four Kumokos.