Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Eyre Kneed posted:

I'm still not a fan of the mangaka's human art. I think that's the major reason they didn't do the human side- they're not great at drawing people. Like, why's she got shark teeth?

Edit: What time have the previews been dropping on Fridays?

I think around 11pm eastern US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
How about right now o'clock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGdvc0v35p4

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Are they going to end the human part early? Having both their finales on the same episode seemed like an obvious thing to do.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Man, I really cannot get behind whatever the gently caress the anime is doing with their choice of pacing and order of portrayal. I don't think Glorias were shown in LN5 at all if I remember correctly. Showing them before robo Potimas completely undermines that reveal.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Man, I really cannot get behind whatever the gently caress the anime is doing with their choice of pacing and order of portrayal. I don't think Glorias were shown in LN5 at all if I remember correctly. Showing them before robo Potimas completely undermines that reveal.

I wonder if it's a time-crunch issue? Glorias are probably easier to model than arachne kumoko, so they're saving that reveal for the very last episode so they have to model it as little as possible.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Shiro was credited as Yuuki Aoi this episode, unlike her earlier appearances where it was just "????"

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Nitrousoxide posted:

While I agree the reveal is undermined (they should've been next episode with robopotimas), Ariel stares down an army of Glorias in the Clash of the Ancients interlude chapter towards the end of LN5, and said interlude is immediately preceded by the Gloria monster profile page showing the mechs in full, so they do show up in LN5.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Them attacking Sophia and Wrath at this point is new, right? I remember it was just Wrath showing up, Shun getting the lore dump from ressing Anna, and then Shiro appears for the cliffhanger. I wonder if they'll even have him get Taboo at this rate.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...
Yeah, them attacking Sophia and Wrath is new, in the LN Ariel was facing them as they got deployed.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
There's only one episode left, right? I don't see how there will enough time to wrap up volume 5. They haven't even finished up the human side.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Not much left on the human side. That gets settled in a 2 minute scene at the end of next episode if they want to. I don't think they're gonna have Shun save Anna. Even if they did, that'd bump it up to a 4 to 5 minute scene. 15-ish minutes for Kumoko's evolution, rescue Sophia, and team up witb Ariel. Tight, but doable. Especially since we know they're gonna skimp on the important small details.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

My guess for the last episode is basically:

- Resurrection/talking to Guilie/evolution
- Teleport over to town, save Sophia
- Brief fight with Potimas, Ariel saves her
- Ariel gives an abbreviated speech of the 'if I can't beat 'em, I should join 'em' variety.
- Skipped the outro
- Cut back to Shun and company. White shows up and helps Sophia and Wrath.
- Shun freaks out when he recognizes Wakaba
- White says something enigmatic, CUT TO BLACK

Not sure if they'll skip the Anna thing for time. They've hinted at it twice now, first when Shun saved Katia and second when Sophia kept pointing out the vulnerability of Anna in this episode. But who knows.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

As long as they keep the scene where after rescuing Sophia she's holding her and wonders if baby is tasty and if it would be okay to take a small bite.

It's the moment where you realize something is really off with her.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

If they cut Maou Shoujo Ariel's entrance to save Kumoko I will riot.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Huh, what do you think the odds are that next season they'll intercut the spider stuff from volumes 6-10 with the Julius stuff from vol 11?

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Bleh, another bad adaptation of the source material. I really was expecting something decent from the contrast between Sophia toying with Shun & co versus her and Kyouya getting serious and obliterating the elves. Instead poor Kyouya is reduced from this:

to this

Meanwhile the moment of perfect co-ordination against Sophia is undermined by (a) the inexplicable lack of a visible sign of the earth shifting for Katia's spell and (b) Sophia blocking rather than having to take Shun's attack.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Bobulus posted:

My guess for the last episode is basically:

- Resurrection/talking to Guilie/evolution
- Teleport over to town, save Sophia
- Brief fight with Potimas, Ariel saves her
- Ariel gives an abbreviated speech of the 'if I can't beat 'em, I should join 'em' variety.
- Skipped the outro
- Cut back to Shun and company. White shows up and helps Sophia and Wrath.
- Shun freaks out when he recognizes Wakaba
- White says something enigmatic, CUT TO BLACK

Not sure if they'll skip the Anna thing for time. They've hinted at it twice now, first when Shun saved Katia and second when Sophia kept pointing out the vulnerability of Anna in this episode. But who knows.

Maybe they want to end both timelines side by side. They skipped the bit earlier where Ariel namedrops Wakaba during their fight. Maybe they'll have the scenes where Shun and Ariel say her name right next to each other.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Just finished Volume 9 of the light novel. Hell yeah, this is the good poo poo. :getin:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Just finished Volume 9 of the light novel. Hell yeah, this is the good poo poo. :getin:

So I'm a Spider, So What?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

LN 12 is out and its oops, all human/demon war.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

LN 12 is out and its oops, all human/demon war.

Sad but not unexpected, I'll get around to reading it at some point.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Cainer posted:

Sad but not unexpected, I'll get around to reading it at some point.

It's really not sad. The war was the next big event after where we left off in 10 and there's some great character stuff in here.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

For those who've read the WN, I'd still recommend reading this. It diverges quite a bit from the WN Human/Demon war events.

WN and LN12 comparisons White's primary goal from the war is no longer to break the hero system, but to get Julius to waste the hero sword. Wasting the hero sword in the LN was supposed to regain the power that breaking the hero system did in the WN. Though they still try to break the hero system, it was a secondary goal. White also doesn't torture Sariel when she interferes with the hero system hacking, and she might not even have done so in the LN. White also doesn't IMMEDIATELY learn about Shun being the new hero.

Everyone involved with the war has some characterization now, unlike the WN where they were just checkboxes for events.

The Queen Taratact attack was no longer a ad hoc way to regain some of the energy they failed to make up by shutting down the hero system by slaughtering tons of people. Instead it was White's clone and was the plan all along to bring that out.

Probably some other stuff too.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 21, 2021

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
It has the spider in it, so it’s better than 11 at least. I’ve been enjoying her snarky breakdowns. Not super interested in the specific views of the demon generals and how things went in each of the little conflicts but im not that far in yet. I know its building to the encounter between Julius and White and hopefully more i dont already know yet

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Nitrousoxide posted:

For those who've read the WN, I'd still recommend reading this. It diverges quite a bit from the WN Human/Demon war events.

Does it still have best boy Ronandt settling a magic duel with a single, long range snipe shot? Also White teleporting Sophia into a fortress full of Anogratches without telling her what's going on.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Maxwell Adams posted:

Does it still have best boy Ronandt settling a magic duel with a single, long range snipe shot? Also White teleporting Sophia into a fortress full of Anogratches without telling her what's going on.

Yes to 1. 2 may or may not happen, it didn't reach the time where that happens yet.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Where's a good place to get the LNs? I read the WN and am enjoying the manga, I figure it's time to read the LNs proper.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Eopia posted:

Where's a good place to get the LNs? I read the WN and am enjoying the manga, I figure it's time to read the LNs proper.

https://yenpress.com/9780316442923/so-im-a-spider-so-what-vol-1-light-novel/

It's available on every big digital bookstore.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'm glad they established (LN12) it was just a Kumo clone at the end of that final fight, after what she had to go through to take out a Queen it would have felt kind of silly Julius could beat one.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Justin_Brett posted:

I'm glad they established (LN12) it was just a Kumo clone at the end of that final fight, after what she had to go through to take out a Queen it would have felt kind of silly Julius could beat one.

Definitely, plus once the perspective shifted back to Ariel, I thought she'd be going ape poo poo over the queen's death. It does seem like bullshit that White would let Agner and Bloe die if the plan had been to save them though. She even calls it a miscalculation moments afterward.

My overall impression was that it was less pointless than vol 11 but still felt more like filler than anything else. The middle dragged a lot (Jasken and Hawkin's backstories were snoozefests) but it picked up again towards the end. One thing I was surprised at was that there wasn't anything deeper going on with the character deaths. I half expected it to turn out that people like Agner and even Julius were actually drafted into the 10th army with some shenanigans from White. That could have made for a good oh Shun! moment later where he rants about how they killed his brother when all they did was forcibly shift the Hero title onward.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I finished 12 and the back half was pretty tedious. Unless Julius is still alive for some reason because White is doing some other play against the demon lord. But still so much focus on so many people that you knew were going to die already was just annoying. I skipped big chunks of them internal monologuing and it still felt long

Nemo Somen
Aug 20, 2013

I felt that the back half was more interesting that the front half. The front half seems mostly like world building and side character building. The second half at least sort of advances the overall story slightly. For example, showing that while they are incredibly OP by the world's standards, even White and Ariel face unexpected setbacks.

There does seem like some contradictory characterization though. If I recall correct, didn't Balto blame Ariel for sending Bloe to his death and White for not protecting Bloe from the hero? I suppose Balto might be blaming them despite their attempts to get Bloe to retreat, but he has generally been characterized as being level-headed.

Another thought that I had is, isn't the way Julius defeated the fake Queen Taratect strange? I thought the system's defense stat applied to all parts of the body. Otherwise, I'd imagine that every massive monster would just be killed by targeting its eyes. I'm also not sure that just one of Wrath's swords would have been enough to defeat a Queen Taratect, even if its fake and weaker than a normal one.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Nemo Somen posted:

Another thought that I had is, isn't the way Julius defeated the fake Queen Taratect strange? I thought the system's defense stat applied to all parts of the body. Otherwise, I'd imagine that every massive monster would just be killed by targeting its eyes. I'm also not sure that just one of Wrath's swords would have been enough to defeat a Queen Taratect, even if its fake and weaker than a normal one.

From what the other books said about Kumoko appraising herself back when she was a Ede Saine(if that was the first one with the sickle claws) there are different areas of the body where the attack and defense stats are calculated differently.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Nemo Somen posted:

I felt that the back half was more interesting that the front half. The front half seems mostly like world building and side character building. The second half at least sort of advances the overall story slightly. For example, showing that while they are incredibly OP by the world's standards, even White and Ariel face unexpected setbacks.

There does seem like some contradictory characterization though. If I recall correct, didn't Balto blame Ariel for sending Bloe to his death and White for not protecting Bloe from the hero? I suppose Balto might be blaming them despite their attempts to get Bloe to retreat, but he has generally been characterized as being level-headed.

Since LN12 the fake queen was a clone of White it was not part of the System and none of its rules would apply to it

I'm personally happy that Yanna LN12 got her crush in the end

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jul 24, 2021

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I enjoyed the cadence of the first part of introducing characters and them immediately getting killed. Also more detail about the reincarnation adventuers was cool. I also liked filing in a bit more detail about Sophia’s school life and White’s 10th army.

I didnt give a rip about the backstory of the hero party because we know they are going to die and I doooon’t caaare about non-reincarnators who wont have any effect (unless theres somehow payoff for their backstories and internal monologues? I doubt it).

What the demons wanted the hero sword for was lame (but i do think there will be more development there) and other details at the end were nice but ultimately that was a dozen pages out of like 100 just dull ones. Like the things with White/connected to White are the best parts because she’s the protag, why did we have 1.75 books of not-spider, jeez

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm personally happy that Yanna LN12 got her crush in the end

:drat:

Fellis fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 24, 2021

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
i've basically spent the last week or so completely obsessed with this series, whoops. very glad I saved the anime for last because even if some parts are neat, wow it kinda just does whatever it wants, huh. But even if it's not great, I really hope it gets a second season, because I love seeing moments like this animated.

:kimchi:

...though, sadly i've now completely caught up with the manga, the light novels, and the anime, and so must now suffer from a lack of Content (yenpress pls translate faster, my japanese isn't nearly good enough to try and read the next two books.)

8one6
May 20, 2012

After working through my backlog I finally got around to reading Vol 12. 250 pages of wheel spinning nothing.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I finished all of the LN up to chapter 12 and I'm hungry for more. What's the best translation of the later parts of the webnovel? And what chapter would I pop into?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Nihnoz posted:

I finished all of the LN up to chapter 12 and I'm hungry for more. What's the best translation of the later parts of the webnovel? And what chapter would I pop into?

So here's an epub of most of the WN
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w7-w_ejNucRPLCYuFkuSN2Bcu3smHp1t/view
It goes up to the chapter "The Last Two Options" part 1

This has the remainder of the published chapters.
https://rtd.moe/novels/kumo-desu-ga-nani-ka/

It is not finished yet and has been on hiatus for a few months now.

I'd note the WN and LN differ pretty substantially in the events that take place (though the broad strokes still take place) and the characterization of folks in the story. White is less... amenable... in the WN lets say. Things start to diverge from the LN at about chapter 184, so I'd start there. I'll also warn you that the Turbo0 translated parts of the WN are... rough.... His stuff goes from chapter 122 to Oni v. Oni 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

So Okina has restarted posting WN chapters and is posting one every 6 hours now. The WN will probably get wrapped up in a few days and will be completed for English speakers once the fan translations roll out.

Here's his blog post about it if you read Japanese.

https://mypage.syosetu.com/mypageblog/view/userid/595431/blogkey/2918696/