Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
as someone who got the blue star so I could help run neat contests and change avs in Creative Convention in my spare time, and as someone who was sexually assaulted as a child and sexually groomed as a teenager, I would humbly, respectfully, ask that goons curb their primal irresistible urge to call "mods" pedophiles. If you think a particular mod is a pedophile, then you should say so, and heck you can PM me about it if you don't think the other mods will do anything about it. There are a lot of people on this site who will vouch for the fact that I don't gently caress around with that poo poo.

I don't know if the people in the OP should stay banned or be unbanned, as I generally don't read the relevant forums, but this has been on my mind for a while because it's a pretty unflattering side of SA, from the POV of someone who survived.

VVV eta: I agree that this applies to mods too, no one should unilaterally be calling any group of people pedophiles, just to make this clear. Ideally you should only call someone a pedophile if you have a reason to think that person is a pedophile. I don't think this is like, broke-brained mod logic, but maybe the blue star poisoning hasn't set in?? How long does it usually take?

Sitting Here fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Kurnugia posted:

personally, i believe that subforums ought to be allowed to apply whatever standards of moderation the posters of that particular subforum in concensus establish. and as can be observed from the response in the original thread the posts in question occurred in, the resident posters of c-spam do not, overwhelmingly, consider the reaction of the moderating hierarchy to fit the posting environment of the thread, in the forum particular.

posting my thread (practical balaclava knitting) of future potential in the Creative Convention, i would not make a joke calling the resident mods pedos. in contrast, i am going to call the mods pedos while posting in FYAD and c-sPAM. fluffdaddy doesnt get to decide whats acceptable in cspam, nor does he get to decide what warrants a ban+30 in cspam. thanks, goodnight

tbh i wasn't really talking about anything particular to any specific subforum. I just think it's really awful and painful to throw "pedo" around as an insult because it 1) obfuscates credible accusations and 2) is painful for people who've survived that poo poo. You seem very convicted in your stance so I can only infer it must feel very good for your to use pedophile as an insult. I guess I'd hate for you to have to go without that small joy, because you might have to grow a thicker skin!

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Impeccable timing. Just incredible.

i literally yelled JESUS loving CHRIST WHY in my house when I saw that, i feel comfortable saying to this thread. It appears to be getting handled, though!

That Little Demon posted:

personally I wouldn't join a group that has had credible accusations made against it, contained people who stalked girls, posted bestiality, licked toilet seats, were actual, convicted child rapists, wife beaters, people who were diaper furs, sniffed girls hair on the bus, had sock puppet accounts to agree with themselves, and of course the list could go on forever here, but you know... a few bad apples doesn't spoil the whole bunch...right?

This is very laudable. But it's kind of a Ship of Theseus problem right? Like, how many mods have to turn over before it's a different group of people who can be held to a different standard? Most of the mods don't have to do much, we're just kind of thread janitors who pootle around answering minor questions and changing avs or giving gang tags. Is it your opinion that SA should have no mods? What does your ideal SA look like?

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Kurnugia posted:

sorry, i thought i was making my point clear with the whole "context" bit that fluffdaddy was violating in his/her moderating choices. my point was that in in context of an in-group, such jokes can be dissociated from the source of their humour, and even traumatic subjects be used as subjects of humour. it isnt a question of skin, thickness whatever, but posting in an environment where one thought such jokes were permissible, and was disabused. of course, if you believe that you ought to be allowed to decide whats permissible in places like FYAD and lite, thatd be your prerorragative

i dont want the right to post pedo jokes in the creative corner, nor ask the right to mock posters therein. i just wanna be allowed to do it in a place and environment where it doesnt bother you. cuz you dont post nor read the spooky spectre thread in cspam. nor does fluffdaddy, except when somebody reports a larry post. and then he reads the other guys post, and poof goes 30 bucks i spent on this bloody forum

I get you. I mostly just ponder at why ANYONE wants to use that term casually, but your post makes sense to me and it's a fair take.

IDK about the bans, I'm just posting as a user on this topic.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Love to post on a comedy forum where the mods willfully aggresively violently refuse to understand jokes.

well, go ahead, start making jokes

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Kurnugia posted:

goondolences and you should resign immediately, for the sake of thy soul. and maybe fluffdaddy ought to consider resignation, if this duty is truly this heavy. like, why would you even want to be a modmin if you hate explaining yourself this much? like, dude. reconsider your priorities

Well, I am not Smythe, but I think for most of us modding is done in the midst of having jobs, families, and other obligations. I work overnights and have stayed up through my usual sleeping hours, for example, because I wanted to make sure there wolf was banned. On top of that, it takes a lot of emotional energy to engage with a thread like this! It seems kind of exhausting for everyone involved, not just the moderators.

It just seems to me that sometimes goons are harder on both mods and their fellow goons than they would be on virtually anyone else they interact with. I wonder why that is a lot.

e: wow i didn't refresh i guess, pls continue loling and ignore my prattling

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
im just cry-laughing at this point holy poo poo

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

i feel a little uncomfortable being namedropped, ngl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Sheesh, okay, that explains a lot. I was wondering about that ban, because I've also heard of psychological research which indicates that pedophilia is essentially an inborn trait and not something you can really blame people for, just for how they act on it. There's a hell of a difference between saying 'they can't help it and we should acknowledge that' and "it should be treated as being on the same level as morally acceptable and legitimate sexual attraction between consenting adults," though.

oh my god lol

It's very simple. SA is not a peer-reviewed journal. It is not a research institute. It is not the office of a mental health professional. It literally doesn't matter whether goons have the nuances of pedophilia right. No one needs anyone to advocate for pedophiles. It literally has no effect on anything, except to make you look like some kind of apologist. Stop it!!! Just stop. The world will be just fine if no one ever ever ever talks about the neuroscience of pedos on SA ever again. No one here is advancing science. You just look like someone who gosh darn it has just got to talk about the finer points of pedophilia.

jfc