Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Made it to realm level 160 today. Woohoo!

I have A LOT of currency so I might put together another real good team aside from the Pyromancer. I mean like invest some time and resources into it. Maybe I’ll go the opposite way and do heals and buffs. Or tons of attacks with hunters or something.

What say you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Bloodmage is another straightforward damage dealer with cool synergies.
Doombringer is very stupid and last I tried it, very buggy. I don't know how to explain it except like it encourages you to make really dumb synergies. It just wires arbitrary events to arbitrary unrelated trait triggers and then has them fire 3 times.
Monk is a dodge-based class. It's weird but you should already have Peacebloom in your nether shop which can unlock some reliable options.
Tribalist would go well with the hunters, it increases the # of X race you have.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Can someone confirm that this Cabalist team will work as intended before I sink a bunch of resources into it? This has the most moving parts I've ever worked with so there's a decent chance I'm missing some important detail. Link here:

https://berated-bert.github.io/sira...e&s=CA&r=______

The idea is that everyone has their class' nukes enchanted with Generous and Magnetic, so in theory every combat should start with a Provoke chain which causes everyone to cast two of those spells, steadily growing in power as they go from left to right before the Carbuncle/Djinn at the end drops the biggest spells and a pair of Mega Bombs. I'm intentionally avoiding multi-hit spells and additional casts to cap out at 14 instances of damage. I think the randomness makes it a bit unreliable as a turn 0 killer, but in theory the team should reliably head into turn 1 with debuff immunity, ~150% increased intelligence and 95% damage reduction on top of god-knows-what% in potency/damage buffs for cleanup.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Oh wow the nature shapeshifter is ridiculous. Wish I knew about that one before.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I think that the initial barrage of spells and mega bombs will all be at base intelligence, since they happen simultaneously as far as the game is concerned, but this stuff can be kind of inconsistent depending on exactly what triggered it so I'm not sure about that. The stuff about going into turn 1 with all the buffs should be correct.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If I remember correctly from my old Purgatorian build back in EA, provoke chains do actually not go off simultaneously, and you can actually create stat boosting chains from it. I remember cascading stats onto my creatures as they died.
I think the order was first the actual provoke trigger, then it went from left to right.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Got a spell that summons a Torun Junior minion. It.. does things?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Snake Maze posted:

I think that the initial barrage of spells and mega bombs will all be at base intelligence, since they happen simultaneously as far as the game is concerned, but this stuff can be kind of inconsistent depending on exactly what triggered it so I'm not sure about that. The stuff about going into turn 1 with all the buffs should be correct.

Broken Cog posted:

If I remember correctly from my old Purgatorian build back in EA, provoke chains do actually not go off simultaneously, and you can actually create stat boosting chains from it. I remember cascading stats onto my creatures as they died.
I think the order was first the actual provoke trigger, then it went from left to right.

Thanks for the check! I think either way I'm good, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't running into some wacky edge case that's brought some earlier carpet-bombing strategies to a halt. I still need to run a couple more assassinations for trait materials before the team is go, but I'll report back on the turn 0 provoke chain once I'm up and running.

my dad posted:

Oh wow the nature shapeshifter is ridiculous. Wish I knew about that one before.

He's up there with Phase Knight as a one-stop solution to major headaches. Incidentally, a Phase Knight/Nephilim Shieldbearer combo seems to effectively cancel out the Shieldbearer's damage sharing, giving your team 50% universal damage reduction on top of the 70% indirect damage reduction.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So, I'm entertaining the idea of making a Tribalist Godspawn team with this:

Any favourites people would recommend keeping in mind?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Broken Cog posted:

So, I'm entertaining the idea of making a Tribalist Godspawn team with this:

Any favourites people would recommend keeping in mind?

Mortem has a trait that works for almost every team that does not kill all its opposition in a single action; the main problem is fitting him. (Blood Pact: Your creatures deal additional damage equal to 5% of all the damage your creatures have dealt in the current battle. This trait does not stack.) Unfortunately Linta, his godspawn, is only useful for very specific teams, so it may still not be worth it.

You may also want to look at Fanatic instead of Tribalist given Fanatic is basically Avatars and Godspawn: The Class.

Edit: Also grab a Bard Fool, because they make your creatures do +25% damage for each godspawn you've got, and it counts as a godspawn itself rather than a bard. Presumably, though I haven't tested it, this would also be true if you fused it to something else, since it is part of its trait.

Prism fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 19, 2022

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Prism posted:

Mortem has a trait that works for almost every team that does not kill all its opposition in a single action; the main problem is fitting him. (Blood Pact: Your creatures deal additional damage equal to 5% of all the damage your creatures have dealt in the current battle. This trait does not stack.) Unfortunately Linta, his godspawn, is only useful for very specific teams, so it may still not be worth it.

You may also want to look at Fanatic instead of Tribalist given Fanatic is basically Avatars and Godspawn: The Class.

Edit: Also grab a Bard Fool, because they make your creatures do +25% damage for each godspawn you've got, and it counts as a godspawn itself rather than a bard. Presumably, though I haven't tested it, this would also be true if you fused it to something else, since it is part of its trait.

I actually looked at Fanatic, but most of the stuff there that is useful for Godspawns can be obtained through anointments, so I figured I'd just grab them there.
Good idea on the Bard Fool, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

30.5 Days posted:

Bloodmage is another straightforward damage dealer with cool synergies.
Doombringer is very stupid and last I tried it, very buggy. I don't know how to explain it except like it encourages you to make really dumb synergies. It just wires arbitrary events to arbitrary unrelated trait triggers and then has them fire 3 times.
Monk is a dodge-based class. It's weird but you should already have Peacebloom in your nether shop which can unlock some reliable options.
Tribalist would go well with the hunters, it increases the # of X race you have.
Thanks for the tips! Doombringer has the potential to be my kind of weird, so I'll check it out.

Haven't looked at Bloodmage much, so I'll take a closer look.

Agree on the Tribalist pick for hunters. Or maybe I'll find some other tribe and specialization to match. So many possibilities!

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Well, I've hit a wall on the Aspects of Meraxis. No team I put together seems to be able to get through the combo of 'massive dodge plus thorns plus massive AoE damage on dodge'. Any advice?

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Clutchers' entire gimmick is that they punish enemies for dodging--sounds like one of the only good places to bust the poor niche fellows out. Dragon Soldier deals damage to all enemies whenever one of them dodges, and Elf Mystic prevents creatures' on-dodge effects from occurring (can also buy its trait material with Emblems). I'm not far enough to be taking on the gods myself, so I don't know if they do things that ignore those mechanics, but those were the ones I saw looking through my bestiary.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

GetDunked posted:

Clutchers' entire gimmick is that they punish enemies for dodging--sounds like one of the only good places to bust the poor niche fellows out. Dragon Soldier deals damage to all enemies whenever one of them dodges, and Elf Mystic prevents creatures' on-dodge effects from occurring (can also buy its trait material with Emblems). I'm not far enough to be taking on the gods myself, so I don't know if they do things that ignore those mechanics, but those were the ones I saw looking through my bestiary.

Elf Mystic did the trick, thanks!

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Provoke Cabalist team update: it works, but not at all how I expected. Everyone Provokes from left to right at once, then each creature's actions individually resolve from right to left. It's reliable enough that I'm not going to rejigger, but to get the full intelligence scaling I was going for you'd want to flip the order of fusions/artifacts on creatures 2-6. Also I forgot that Cabalist has built-in doublecast, so I'm going to replace the Rift Dancer trait with an Amethyst Paragon to ensure my spells always get the bonus for having odd charges.

It also seems to kind of break the game? When turn 1 comes around and I provoke again it seems like anywhere from 0 to 5 creatures join in the chain without rhyme or reason. Not sure if it has something to do with Hubbub, the way the Cabalist perks work or the fact that after turn 0 my creatures permanently have every buff while enemies permanently have every debuff, each critter has dozens of ethereal spellgems to choose from, there are a bunch of arbitrary damage dealt/damage taken/stat multipliers flying around and combat just gives up calculating every variable :shepface:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Big Mad Drongo posted:

It also seems to kind of break the game? When turn 1 comes around and I provoke again it seems like anywhere from 0 to 5 creatures join in the chain without rhyme or reason.

I think this bit is because your creatures are already provoking. The same thing happens with defend chains, if they already have the little icon showing they're defending/provoking they won't do it again.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
There is an action limit for stuff, which might make some teams look funky

quote:

Creatures can attack, cast, receive buffs/debuffs/minions, gain stats, lose stats and receive healing a maximum of 15 times per turn.
Creatures can only take damage 15 times per turn.
Each creature can only resurrect up to 10 times per battle.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I'm definitely within the action limit, I think it's as mentioned the fact that creatures can't automatically provoke again while already provoking. It's not a big deal, the first wave of casts sets up victory and everything else is cleanup.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So I've started to plan my Godspawn build
The base idea here is that Alakadan will get Regalis' trait when the battle start, which will spread the traits of Thana, Ugat and Emlai around to each other, and to Dikya (since it has The Lost).

Original plan was to put The Lost on Thana, but apparently it was nerfed at some point, so now its adjacency trait only works for receiving effects.

Figure I'll use Ugat, Emlai and Dikya as the main damage dealers, should scale pretty well with Ugats traits, and Lister + Annelthas trait combo. Though I still have some open spots to fill, gotta ponder this more.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 21, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Maaan, the farther I go into the post-game aka the game proper, the more I'm starting to get annoyed at the extremely clunky UI to the point where I'm really losing interest in playing any more, unfortunately.
The game is great but finding creatures and assembling a team is such a loving pain in the rear end, even with the Siralim Planner.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
They have a perfectly good search feature in the list of traits why is it not literally everywhere else aaargh :argh:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So... turns out Witchdoctor is pretty strong. I threw together a team, and ascended the class without even fusing any of them. It can also take on instability 5 realms and false gods without breaking a sweat.

Build

And now that I look at it, I notice I even forgot to put an artifact trait on Venedon

Edit: The only god that was even a minor issue at all (Other than Friden being annoying) was Meraxis, but I managed that fight fine when I toned down the friendly fire damage inflicted a bit.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 23, 2022

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Im pretty early on and never played one of these before, and I'm stuck around level 16 in the swamp. I can't deal with the guys that keep buffing their defense and int. Using a blood mage, do I just need to grind it out?

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Womyn Capote posted:

Im pretty early on and never played one of these before, and I'm stuck around level 16 in the swamp. I can't deal with the guys that keep buffing their defense and int. Using a blood mage, do I just need to grind it out?

You shouldn't generally need to grind (in the classical definition of "stay in the same area to accrue levels") in this game in order to advance. A lot of advice would depend on what sorts of spells you've managed to pick up, and which particular enemies you're dealing with--I assume you mean the Uralos creatures, specifically the Uralos Knight and the Uralos Spellcaster, in which case yeah I feel you the Uralos Knight is an rear end in a top hat--but there's a few big ones to mention:

• Indirect damage, such as damage from Bleeding, Burning, Poison, etc., or damage from a trait, is far less affected by the creature's defense than other sources; there's any number of ways to get access to it, but what jumped out to me is the Blood Mage's Bloody Massacre perk--making your opponents always bleed means they're taking 30% of their maximum health as damage on each of their turns, and this is barely mitigated by their Defense. You can probably just dump a single point into that to turn the bleeding on. (Note that you can reset your perk points at the wardrobe north of the summoning brazier for free at any time.)
  • Make sure your artifacts are upgraded, ideally to the highest tier they can be at your blacksmith's current level. Artifacts make a huge difference in damage and survivability especially early on. I think it's generally best to focus on the artifact's main stat--if you're casting damaging spells, for instance, you're going to get way more mileage out of 80% Intelligence than 20% Intelligence, 20% Attack, 20% Defense, and so on.
  • Keep an eye out on creatures who can provide your whole party with an offensive or defensive benefit; these tend to be quite valuable. A combination that got me very comfortably out of the earlier game is Ebony Ent (all creatures have mending and take 15% less damage) and Hemlock Ent (mending restores 50% of max HP instead of 15%).
  • Don't sleep on spell gems! They're some of the best ways to get out of sticky situations in this game, and there are ones for every occasion. Many of them don't need Intelligence at all to be effective, and are just useful utility things that grant buffs and debuffs. Here are a few of my favorites, organized by class (note I make no guarantees you'll have any of these unlocked, nor do I remember if any of these were god favor spells):

Chaos
* Arbitration (steal all enemy buffs)
* Chaos Spheres (seal all of one enemy's spell gems--useful if you're being wrecked by a spellcaster)
* Flame Lash (give all your creatures Berserk and Splashing)
* Rolling Meteor (do AoE damage based on my health)
* Volatile Strike (single target nuke that uses your best stat against their worst stat, instead of Intelligence vs Defence)

Death
* Contagion (convert all enemy minions to debuffs)
* Decay (all enemies are Disarmed, meaning they temporarily lose their Artifacts--can be a huge hit to stats)
* Defile (all enemies are Poisoned and Blighted--useful if they're getting healed)
* Misery (give one enemy a whole mess of nasty debuffs)
* Wormrot (all enemies gain Weak and Vulnerable, dealing 50% less and taking 50% more damage)

Life
* Breath of Life (big heal or revive on one ally)
* Divinity (all creatures are resurrected and fully healed and the timeline shuffles)
* False Beliefs (deal damage equal to 100% of the healing target has received, is a lot of damage in protracted battles)
* Holy Protection (all your creatures gain Shelled, negating the next hit they would take)
* Resurrection (revives a dead creature with a bit of health)
* Requiem (revives ALL your dead creatures with a bit of health)
* Stasis Sword (inflicts Stone and deals damage to one enemy--useful for enemies that dodge or crit a lot)

Nature
* Antidote (reduce all debuffs on your creature by 1 turn and heal them for each debuff)
* Curse of the Swarm (enemies get a random debuff for each class of creature on your side)
* Fury Swipes (target attacks enemies 3 times for 25% damage, useful for triggering on-hit effects)
* Maelstrom (target is Feared and Confused--can't gain stats and has a chance to attack its allies)
* Shellbust (target loses a bunch of defense and takes damage proportional to that amount)

Sorcery
* Greater Dispel MVP GREATEST SPELL (remove all your creatures debuffs and enemies' buffs)
* Magic Suppression (lowers all enemy intelligence and gives them all Silenced)
* Spell Blast (single target nuke that scales with how many charges it has left--great on things that don't use spell gems, such as your starting Forsaken Scourgewalker)
* Steel Storm (big ol AOE nuke with great scaling but few charges, see above)
* Void Flare (insta-kill an enemy that has been resurrected at least once)

Some of these have very few charges but are generally useful on any creature regardless of Intelligence, such as Greater Dispel or Requiem. I highly recommend upgrading those spell gems and adding a Generous property--this gives each of your creatures a single-use temporary spell gem of that spell at the start of each battle. So if you put Generous on a Requiem, each creature has one no-questions-asked full party revive per battle, and because it's an ethereal gem it doesn't consume any charges of the original, and it replenishes at the start of each battle. It's great! You can experiment with some other properties too, like changing the class or increasing debuff duration.

Hopefully this is enough things to try for the time being, if not post your team and the creatures/spell gems you have access to and I can make more detailed suggestions.

GetDunked fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 26, 2022

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Womyn Capote posted:

As a direct response to your situation, the fear debuff prevents stat increases, but I'm not sure it's available to you yet outside of spells that target individual enemies, which I don't think would be very efficient. The Terror spell could be used for cleanup at the end of a fight if you have it, since it applies Fear and also removes defense the target already has. It's not going to do a ton of good if you aren't already doing pretty well though (although putting it on every creature and just powering through could be better than the alternative).

In terms of useful stuff, you might want to check whether other good stuff has opened recently. A new creature from each race is added to the game every 15 levels so for instance there should be a new type of pilwiz or brownie in blood grove, that might synergize with your stuff well. Also check giants and koloss in titan's wound and maniacs in caustic reactor. Lastly, Mortem's god shop (Titan's Wound) has a bunch of creatures that steal stats on attack. Favor 1 steals speed, Favor 5 steals defense. Their artifact materials are at Favor 2/6 respectively.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone know where to get the "Crucifixion" spell that Muse uses during her God battle?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Anyone know where to get the "Crucifixion" spell that Muse uses during her God battle?

According to the unofficial codex Tenebris sells it. Unless her version does something different.

Womyn Capote posted:

On top of the mentioned this game suffers from a serious case of Reverse Difficulty Curve, the bane of so many RPGs. The early-mid game is arguably the hardest part because of your limited options; by the end of the story you have a big stable of critters and most of the spell gems; by the time you start unlocking the superbosses you have every basic creature, every spell gem, have opened a solid chunk of each god shop (with new tools to help you build favor faster as needed) and are likely capable of running instability 5 realms at 200% fortune to rake in resources if you need to rejigger your team.

Early game you're fighting the RNG and can get a bit screwed, late game turns everything into a giant puzzle where you just need to fit the right pieces together.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Big Mad Drongo posted:

According to the unofficial codex Tenebris sells it. Unless her version does something different.
Of course it was the one god I didn't bother to check, cheers!

Also thanks for the heads up on that site, could come in handy

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Yeah the party planner is great for seeing traits side-by-side to figure out how they'll (probably) interact with each other, but the codex is a godsend for understanding where you're going to find the right materials/spellgems to bring the whole thing together.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Is the type of the creature that pops out from a fusion random between the two inputs?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Skyl3lazer posted:

Is the type of the creature that pops out from a fusion random between the two inputs?

A fusion will always have the race(creature family) of the first creature and the class(life, death, nature...etc) of the second creature, with base stats averaged between the two

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Broken Cog posted:

A fusion will always have the race(creature family) of the first creature and the class(life, death, nature...etc) of the second creature, with base stats averaged between the two

Ok, so there's no way to stick the ability you want directly on to a race/type you already have

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Skyl3lazer posted:

Ok, so there's no way to stick the ability you want directly on to a race/type you already have

If you have, say, a Sand Giant (a nature class), and fuse it with a Mauler Fiend (a chaos class), the result with be a Sand Giant who's chaos class and has both of their traits.

You can also put the trait on a weapon, but weapon materials are pretty random early on and you might not be able to find the one you want. This becomes much less of a problem later on.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
If you really want to keep the class of the original creature, a Subaqueous Dragon will make it so that all your fused creatures change back to the class of the original at the start of battle. Not sure that it's worth a whole trait slot, though.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

GetDunked posted:

If you really want to keep the class of the original creature, a Subaqueous Dragon will make it so that all your fused creatures change back to the class of the original at the start of battle. Not sure that it's worth a whole trait slot, though.

No it was more that I wanted a creature that was autocasting to have certain type gems without having to change the type of each gem (eating an enchantment slot)

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I've updated the Cabalist build I posted upthread and it's much stronger now: Cabalist V2 feat. Zonte

The core idea is the same (mass nukes powered by a turn 0 Provoke chain), but with two major tweaks. The first and flashiest is the addition of Zonte. Making every damaging spell devastating lets the team load up on spells with small/moderate damage but additional utility (the MVPs being spells affected by Palace Familiar's boost to stat spells, like Firewall) and more consistently wipe the board on turn 0 against most normal encounters. As a bonus thanks to all the spell spam from the rest of the team Zonte's ultimate spell is an absurd nuke that's dealing tens of millions while the rest of my damage is in the tens to hundreds of thousands.

The second and more important tweak is the addition of the Mimic with a Ryetrap artifact trait. The one weird edge case that kills this team is preventing that initial turn 0 Provoke (Harpy Hag is the main culprit here), which lets the enemies go first and wipe my squishy, slow nerds before they can do anything. The Mimic getting a guaranteed first turn lets him drop two massive Firewalls and one or two Necrotic Armors from his artifact to skyrocket the team's defense before the enemy retaliates. When things go well the Ryetrap is consistently dumping every enemy at the bottom of the timeline during turn 0 and enemies never recover; when things go poorly, the Mimic can still usually remove one or two turns and get some breathing room.

There's still room to optimize the team by reordering some of the artifacts/fusions (the Provoke chain goes off left to right and resolves right to left) but it would be a bunch of effort for a small payoff so eh.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
I picked this game up recently and have been having a blast.

I have just unlocked a ton of projects to unlock specializations, is it OK to just do all these now, I remember seeing something about it making things more difficult?

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Zathril posted:

I picked this game up recently and have been having a blast.

I have just unlocked a ton of projects to unlock specializations, is it OK to just do all these now, I remember seeing something about it making things more difficult?

What it does is makes it where the Goblet of Trials has more options for what class you need to be in order to fill it, but in turn you get WAY better rewards from it based on the number of specializations you have unlocked so it's totally worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Is there a way to macro / set-as-favorite an ethereal spell? It seems like the only spells you can pick in macros are ones you've found the gem inscription for.

I started cabalist and have been having a grand old time.