Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

e: Whoops, update on previous page

code:
* 1 can of beans		  439 calories
* 4 pears  			  404 calories
* 6 apples			  570 calories
* 4 bananas			  420 calories
* 1 bag of potato chips		  531 calories
* 11 bottles of soda (33 cl)	 1529 calories
* 2 bags of popcorn		  840 calories
* 6 hotdogs			 1896 calories
* 1 loaf of bread		 1278 calories
* 3 cotton candy		  306 calories
* 1 chocolate cake		 3392 calories
* 1 bottle of "red"wine		  625 calories
* 1 flask of "bourbon"		  582 calories
* 1 bag of peanuts		  680 calories
* 4 bars of chocolate		 4600 calories
* 3 cups of coffee		    3 calories
* 2 sandwiches			 1098 calories
* 1 pineapple			  452 calories
* 2 oranges			  172 calories
* 1 bottle of whiskey		 1517 calories
Total				79007 calories
I thought the episode started a bit slow, but it was obviously a case of good things coming to those who wait. I was kinda horrified by the astonishing amount of sodas Booker hoovered up, which lead me to this little titbit: "ACS researchers have found that the LD50 of sugar – that's the lethal dose of a sugar that would kill half the population of a test group – is 13.5 grams per pound of body weight, consumed all at once." Which does make me wonder how close Booker is to that limit, or if he hasn't passed it already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

inscrutable horse posted:

I thought the episode started a bit slow, but it was obviously a case of good things coming to those who wait. I was kinda horrified by the astonishing amount of sodas Booker hoovered up, which lead me to this little titbit: "ACS researchers have found that the LD50 of sugar – that's the lethal dose of a sugar that would kill half the population of a test group – is 13.5 grams per pound of body weight, consumed all at once." Which does make me wonder how close Booker is to that limit, or if he hasn't passed it already.

He's saved by them being pretty small bottles, it adds up to about 3.6 liters. Using Mountain Dew (The Sugariest SodaTM) as my estimator:

He'll be alive even chugging them all at once. He may not feel so great, but it's a far cry from the lethal dose of 2700 grams assuming he weighs 200 lb.

e: that's a lotta salt :aaaaa:

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Not that much salt since it's also about a full day of calories. 27% of daily salt limit in 87% of daily calories.

Mountain Dew: A Low Sodium Diet (tm)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh yeah, I just would not have guessed even a notable fraction of the daily amount from soda of all things.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
I wonder if those sodas are caffeinated--if so, maybe he could overdose from that.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

im saint germain posted:

I wonder if those sodas are caffeinated--if so, maybe he could overdose from that.

Even if they're Mtn Dew level caffeinated, you need at least 1 bottle/kg of Booker to get into the lowest lethal value reported, 3-4 bottles to get into ld50 levels.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
How many calories do the vigors use? They could explain why Booker needs to eat entire cheese wheels, knife and all.

Something else that occurred to me was, have they mentioned Jesus at all? God has gotten mentioned a few times, much less than the prophet but I don’t think Christ has gotten mentioned by anyone in Columbia.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Booker must be related to Corvo, they both stuff their maws with everything they see, cans and all.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns

White Coke posted:

How many calories do the vigors use? They could explain why Booker needs to eat entire cheese wheels, knife and all.

Something else that occurred to me was, have they mentioned Jesus at all? God has gotten mentioned a few times, much less than the prophet but I don’t think Christ has gotten mentioned by anyone in Columbia.

That may be because Jesus would complicate the phony trinity the game pushes as it goes on. On the other hand, cutting God out wouldn't work as well, since then it'd just be a really obvious cult, instead of a Christianity-coopting one.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

They've mentioned the Lamb multiple times, so they have basically replaced Jesus in the cult while using some of his iconography. Basically, you don't need the original Jesus, because we got New Jesus in the tower.

"Mom, can I have Jesus?"
"We got Jesus at home."

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I think it's a bit more subtle. Comstock is simply The Prophet, and Columbia's religion is based on seeing him as divinely ordained (in the protestant Christian faith) as such. In as much as Christianity tends to extol the teachings of Jesus (and the New Testament) more than older parts of the bible, you can see this as a natural progression as such, where Comstock is simply getting a lot more focus in Columbua. He is definitely not replacing Jesus.

At least, this is how I see it. The theology in this game is only surface deep, from what I can remember.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

It stops just shy of being a direct criticism of Mormonism, but I can almost believe that aspect was unintentional.

In much the same way that the racism only pops up when specifically written in and isn't shown as integral to the society, the religion is treated the same way. I think the very first pilgrim you talk to might be the only person who seems to be genuine. Nobody else in the city seems to actually have any convictions.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I feel like if you are going to have racism in your game you really need to try and avoid it ending up just shoving more racism into the faces of people who already suffer from it in their daily lives.

Also i finally listened to the podcast, it's pretty interesting. Did anyone offer to translate "Japanska Krigspelet" yet? Otherwise i could give it a go, assuming it's this one : https://www.doria.fi/handle/10024/157035

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Kangra posted:

It stops just shy of being a direct criticism of Mormonism, but I can almost believe that aspect was unintentional.

In much the same way that the racism only pops up when specifically written in and isn't shown as integral to the society, the religion is treated the same way. I think the very first pilgrim you talk to might be the only person who seems to be genuine. Nobody else in the city seems to actually have any convictions.

:same:

I didn't want to directly make comparisons between Columbia's religion and, say, Mormons and Muslims, since I don't know enough about their respective religions to make a defensible statement, so I didn't mention it in my post. I agree that it doesn't attempt to criticize but it certainly draws parallels.

There's more that I want to write but it'll have to wait until more of the background is established.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

First we put on pants with ghosts in them, and then it all gets silly.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

code:
* 2 cans of beans		   878 calories
* 5 boxes of cereal		  9165 calories
* 2 pears  			   202 calories
* 6 apples			   570 calories
* 1 bag of potato chips		   531 calories
* 6 bottles of soda (33 cl)	   834 calories
* 2 hotdogs			   632 calories
* 2 cotton candy		   204 calories
* 4 bottles of "red"wine	  2500 calories
* 1 flask of "bourbon"		   582 calories
* 2 flasks of coffee		    10 calories
* 1 bar of chocolate		  1150 calories
* 1 sandwich			   549 calories
* 2 pineapples			   904 calories
* 4 oranges			   344 calories
* 5 bottles of whiskey		  7585 calories
* 5 bottles of beer		   760 calories
Episode 1 total			  2918 calories
Total				106407 calories
As Booker's unofficial, unlicensed, amateur nutritionist, I find it concerting that his alcohol intake has increased dramatically lately. Equally distressing is his newfound and unbridled habit of drinking brine by the crate-load; all that sodium can't be healthy! On the plus side, it's good to see him eat a variety of fruit on a regular basis. Overall, he's still grossly over-eating, and no amount of exercise will counteract this.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I need a mod that makes Booker's belly slowly expand into your lower field of view when you look down over the course of the game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

A separate ledger for all the alcohol Booker is consuming. He processes it drat fast though. He is blind after three drinks and ready to go with 30 seconds. His liver is Herculean.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

He was a citizen of Columbia who was also a 'progressive', he was surely chock full of remorse already.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

For all we know Booker may have one of those really pronounced cases of polyphagia that were recorded with :nws: Tarrare or Charles Domery.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

So was the "progressive" just lying and waiting for you to turn around so he could hit you with that rear end-bat? Or was he really a civilian?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

NGDBSS posted:

For all we know Booker may have one of those really pronounced cases of polyphagia that were recorded with :nws: Tarrare or Charles Domery.

Maybe that's why Booker is in debt, he's struggling to pay his restaurant bills

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Kangra posted:

People say the aesthetics of this game are like Disneyland, but it really is like a theme park, where you see get your social commentary set pieces and that’s it.

FLDS using a flying city to travel around the world collecting wives would be an interesting premise for a game.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Nobody in Columbia cleans their toilets. They were really gross looking

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

Maigius posted:

Nobody in Columbia cleans their toilets. They were really gross looking

They had to ban scrubbing bubbles from Columbia because ne'er-do-well children kept dumping it into the baptismal pond/drain/sole entrance to a floating city(??? such a stupid idea)

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

"C'mon Father, wrap up the sermon and move on to the next guy, I gotta get flushed back into town before my 10AM shift starts"

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

They have the best birds in Columbia.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

code:
* 2 boxes of cereal		  3666 calories
* 2 pears  			   202 calories
* 3 apples			   285 calories
* 2 bananas			   210 calories
* 5 bottles of soda (33 cl)	   695 calories
* 3 hotdogs			   948 calories
* 1 cotton candy		   102 calories
* 10 bottles of "red"wine	  6250 calories
* 1 flask of "bourbon"		   582 calories
* 1 bar of chocolate		  1150 calories
* 8 cups of coffee		     8 calories
* 1 pineapple			   452 calories
* 4 oranges			   344 calories
* 1 bottle of whiskey		  1517 calories
Episode 2 total			 54755 calories
Episode 1 total			  2918 calories
Total				122818 calories
I always wonder if I should count the white oats with the cereals, if it doesn't skew the numbers unfairly. But then Booker sucks down a crate of wine like a vacuum cleaner, and I realize that in the small scheme of things, let alone the grand one, it doesn't make any difference.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Hammering 4 flasks of bourbon (8 oz each is typical, 49% ABV), our boy has consumed approximately 27.2 "drinks" of alcohol.

With the wine, he's consumed 16 bottles I think? That's typically 750 ml and 13.5% ABV, or 95.01 "drinks" of alcohol. The calculator threw an exception because the number of ml was too big.

So that's 122.21 drinks since he stepped into Columbia. Impairment begins at or around .08%, and death is likely at .3%. According to this calculator and some reasonable assumptions, our boy is at 3.24%, or a bit more than 10 times the lethal level.

"Bioshock Infinite: Alcohol poisoning is not real!"

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

He'll probably hit the LD50 for even caffeine by the end of the LP, honestly.

edit: Pretty sure the subjects of worship were Washington, Franklin, and Jefferson. Not sure how your grasp of US history is but they were all from the same time period, the very start of the country, and Lincoln was quite a bit later. Given Columbia is basically the worst racist paleoconservatives it tracks pretty well that they love the ~*founding fathers*~ who have been dead long enough to pretend they loved the same stuff without them arguing, and hate the guy that beat the Confederacy and ended slavery.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 12, 2021

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Nonsense, I remember playing Beerquest on my TI-83 back in high school and that taught me that more alcohol is always better!

gently caress, graphing calculator video games were the nerdiest possible genre. How much use do they still get these days?

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

I'm just as impressed by his champion bladder control as with his cast-iron liver.Looking at my spreadsheet, Booker has hoovered down:

16 bottles of wine (750 ml)
7 bottles of whisky (700 ml)
5 bottles of beer (330 ml) and
4 flasks of "bourbon" (236 ml)

The spreadsheet also reveals that his "favourite" food is apples (21 consumed), his favourite drink is soda (28), his least favourite foods are sardines and pickles (1 each), and his least favourite drink is "bourbon" (4)

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

I knew it!!!

edit: whoops quoted the wrong post lol whatever. I just wanna see Booker consume enough stuff to die five times over

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bioshock Infinite Ingest

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Now it makes sense. Booker is burning a whole lot of calories toting all that loose change around.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I had forgotten all about bird poop house.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

What's your favourite combination of Hair, Blood, and Nails?

BONUS CLIP

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Impressive morale on these troops. If I shot a man in the gut and he told me to piss off then went on with watching a movie I might pause to reassess whether I was truly equipped for that fight.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SelenicMartian posted:

They have the best birds in Columbia.

Did they have to put what sure as hell sounds like 'threatening to rape a woman is treated as a joke' in the game, with the thinnest possible veneer of 'We swear we weren't talking about rape!' in the game?

This game is blindingly tone-deaf and even makes leaning on the fourth wall feel obnoxious rather than funny, so I can guess, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

What's your favourite combination of Hair, Blood, and Nails?

I'm going to pick neither.