Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

e: God damnit, update on previous page
code:
* 1 apples			    95 calories
* 6 bananas			   630 calories
* 6 candy bars			  6900 calories
* 7 bottles of beer		  1064 calories
* 9 bottles of soda		  1251 calories
* 2 bottles of whiskey		  3034 calories
* 3 boxes of cereal		  5499 calories
* 1 C ration			  2000 calories
* 1 cotton candy		   102 calories
* 5 cups of coffee		     5 calories
* 3 flasks of coffee		    15 calories
* 4 hotdogs			  1264 calories
* 3 oranges			   258 calories
* 3 pears			   303 calories
* 2 sandwiches			  1098 calories
I've no idea whether or not the caloric content of a rotten banana differs from a fresh one, so I'll just lump it in with the rest. It's not like Booker cares one DeWitt (ahahaha) where his sustenance comes from; pabulum non olet, as it were. The ration was kinda interesting. I'm guessing it's a C ration, a meal meant to be eaten when in combat without access to the field kitchens, and that's supposed to be around 2000 calories per ration. It also included some cigarettes; perhaps Booker eats them as a dessert? Or maybe as an appetizer?

As for coffee, according to my spreadsheet, Booker has had the equivalent of 46 cups of coffee. I'm guessing he's got quite the caffeine buzz going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

inscrutable horse posted:

As for coffee, according to my spreadsheet, Booker has had the equivalent of 46 cups of coffee. I'm guessing he's got quite the caffeine buzz going.

He's probably right in that bullet time sweet spot, but he should probably start backing off a bit with the amount of game left.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Elizabeth is one of the few things I've heard much about regarding this game. Specifically, as noted in the video, that she's a Disney princess. Is she a tough, badass young woman? A damsel in distress who needs a male figure to do anything? A superpowered weapon of mass destruction?

Why, she's any or all of those, whatever the plot needs right this second!

Specifically she popped up in a 'The most misogynistic video games that want you to think they're feminist and progressive' article from a few years back, IIRC.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Oh this is interesting to me. I thought that the impression of Elizabeth was a generally positive one and I assumed this was the case still after all these years.

I was looking forward for finally having Elizabeth towing along in the lp, but now I'm actually interested in knowing exactly how they screwed up her character.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

As a further point of curiosity, there's 7700 kcal in one kg of bodyfat. So if Booker's insatiable appetite goes straight on to his body, he's gained 19 kilos since the start of the LP.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Space Kablooey posted:

Oh this is interesting to me. I thought that the impression of Elizabeth was a generally positive one and I assumed this was the case still after all these years.

I was looking forward for finally having Elizabeth towing along in the lp, but now I'm actually interested in knowing exactly how they screwed up her character.

Imagine Belle from Beauty and the Beast pouting at you when you exploded people's heads.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

inscrutable horse posted:

As a further point of curiosity, there's 7700 kcal in one kg of bodyfat. So if Booker's insatiable appetite goes straight on to his body, he's gained 19 kilos since the start of the LP.

This is probably for the best; if he continues increasing his weight quickly enough, he can avoid reaching the LD50 of caffeine and other consumed substances.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

While she is helping you blow said people's heads

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Fedule posted:

This is probably for the best; if he continues increasing his weight quickly enough, he can avoid reaching the LD50 of caffeine and other consumed substances.

Certainly a novel survival strategy, staving off death by increased bodymass.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I've been thinking all along, this whole game is basically Crank except with calories instead of adrenaline.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Man, it really hits home in Elizabeth's intro how disappointing a lot of the writing and design turn out to be, I think the core sci-fi concept at the heart of the game is rad as hell and leads to a ton of interesting touches about the setting. There's a real good game idea buried in there, it's just a shame that what we got in practice was so much half-baked writing and commentary alongside pretty repetitive gameplay.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

By the way try not to think about how heavy water actually is.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I know this is low on the priority list, but if most of Monument Island is abandoned, how does Elizabeth get sent food? That bird robot?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Dinner platter strapped to a rocket chair.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns

Maigius posted:

I know this is low on the priority list, but if most of Monument Island is abandoned, how does Elizabeth get sent food? That bird robot?

Her food is the bird robots. She eats three a day

Kangra
May 7, 2012

According to the papers on the loading screen today (yesterday for most of you) was Booker's birthday, so Happy Birthday, Mr. DeWitt. Go ahead and eat all you want!

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
You say that as if he wasn't going to do that already.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Maigius posted:

She opens a tear to a cake shop and grabs food.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

I wonder how hot Booker is? He hasn't slowed down since he started his culinary adventure, so it doesn't seem like he's gained any appreciably weight. Seems to me, then, that he must be catabolising it all at a fantastic rate, and seeing as his weight is (maybe) staying the same, the product must be heat. Is there some sort of calculator for this?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Space Kablooey posted:

If I remember the article right, it's something along the lines of 'The plot revolves around Elizabeth but it's never about her - it's always about the men in her life, and her relationships with all of them are explicitly or implicitly abusive and/or exploitative.' That despite all her power, she's just a plot device for the character growth of other [exclusively male] characters and has no agency or even importance in her own right, she only matters insofar as she matters to male characters.

Disney Princess Syndrome, again.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Cythereal posted:

If I remember the article right, it's something along the lines of 'The plot revolves around Elizabeth but it's never about her - it's always about the men in her life, and her relationships with all of them are explicitly or implicitly abusive and/or exploitative.' That despite all her power, she's just a plot device for the character growth of other [exclusively male] characters and has no agency or even importance in her own right, she only matters insofar as she matters to male characters.

Disney Princess Syndrome, again.

Yes- also referred to as the "Dadification of Games," the process of making the player care about your story by giving the grizzled male protagonist a young innocent female child, with no real agency or importance in the story except to give the player something to be heroic about. The Last of Us and The Walking Dead are the other really famous game series that fall into this trope. I don't think I'd mind this so much if the toxic nature of this bond were ever seriously explored or deconstructed... or if the writers using it knew when to stop using it and let the "princesses" develop into their own characters with their own agencies, methods, and goals, instead of just making them into their dads. Like, to the letter, in every way that matters except gender.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Captain Hygiene posted:

He's probably right in that bullet time sweet spot, but he should probably start backing off a bit with the amount of game left.

I'm about 200 lbs and drink 4-6 cups of coffee on most days and now I'm getting worried

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

One of the first tips you get after Elizabeth joins is that you don't have to protect her in a fight. After playing scores of games where you spend your time looking after your teammates (Last of Us, Daikatana, WoW, Star Fox) this got an audible sigh of relief when I saw it.

Cythereal posted:

Elizabeth is one of the few things I've heard much about regarding this game. Specifically, as noted in the video, that she's a Disney princess. Is she a tough, badass young woman? A damsel in distress who needs a male figure to do anything? A superpowered weapon of mass destruction?

Why, she's any or all of those, whatever the plot needs right this second!

Specifically she popped up in a 'The most misogynistic video games that want you to think they're feminist and progressive' article from a few years back, IIRC.

This seems true for Last of Us. But I think it's a bit more nuanced in Bioshock Infinite. Yes, the protagonist certainly frees Elizabeth and takes an initial leadership and dad role. But I'll save my future commentary for later. The nature of of the medium (computer games) certainly does not help.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
It's lost to time as far as I know but there was a Tim Rogers review of Bioshock Infinite (wordcount: 21,000) which among other observations speculated that Elizabeth's invulnerability was a late-undertaken decision following years of failed attempts to have a version with a vulnerable Elizabeth not be garbage to play.

It was a very good review. Two chapters of it were just analysing the box art.

E: Unrelatedly, I love the complete lack of any correlation between the size of a pile of money and the number of coins in it. The vending machines look like they spill out a whole bunch of coins from being hit with Possession but it's usually only like 5 per machine. Meanwhile, an individual coin on one of the trams was actually worth seven.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 21, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

sb hermit posted:

I'm about 200 lbs and drink 4-6 cups of coffee on most days and now I'm getting worried

A cup can mean a lot of things. But moreover if there's an 2500% difference between 'safe' and 'lethal' I've got my doubts about that calculator.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

A cup can mean a lot of things. But moreover if there's an 2500% difference between 'safe' and 'lethal' I've got my doubts about that calculator.

How dare your impugn the veracity of the first search result for "caffeine lethal dose"

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Regarding the Founders (the term Founding Fathers supposedly being invented by future president Warren G. Harding in 1916) and slavery, they had a very self serving view of it, where they knew they were hypocrites and were embarrassed to own slaves, but they really liked being rich. So they consoled themselves by blaming the British for introducing slavery and forcing upon them the burden of "civilizing" and "caring for" their slaves, but also thought that slavery would die out as it became less economically viable, hopefully after they were dead. And were it not for the cotton gin it might have happened that way since the primary cash crop grown by slaves was tobacco which really depletes the soil. And with the economic revitalization of slavery came stronger defenses of it, not as a necessary evil that will pass away but a moral and political force for good to be expanded as far as possible. The first seven states that seceded and formed the CSA were the ones that could grow cotton widely, the four that joined them were dependent on selling off excess slaves since the international slave trade was banned, and the slave states that stayed in the Union had much smaller numbers of slaves both in absolute numbers and as percentages of the population (and if you retroactively count West Virginia then none of the states that seceded bordered a free state). What someone in 1912 thought the Founders thought about slavery I don't know though.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The cake is a… thing you find a lot of in barrels.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I guess the cake isn't a lie after all.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

So all the water just keeps falling off the edge of the beach? No wonder pretty much nobody is in the water, the current must the wicked strong.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

All that water would be sooo heavy, it's a wonder they got it to float. Also I don't see any waves, so I'm wondering on the point of renting surf boards.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Maigius posted:

All that water would be sooo heavy, it's a wonder they got it to float. Also I don't see any waves, so I'm wondering on the point of renting surf boards.

They address the weight issue in one of the recordings when they talk about the "science" behind making the city float.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

So I haven't had the time yet to futz around with the forum's BBcode to set up my usual table, but Booker was one cheese wheel away this time from breaking his previous record.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Space Kablooey posted:

So all the water just keeps falling off the edge of the beach? No wonder pretty much nobody is in the water, the current must the wicked strong.

Maigius posted:

They call it 'surf board rental' as a euphemism for 'suicide booth'.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
The guy sitting in the lifeguard tower, not lifeguarding, might be the only reasonable person so far. You probably don't see whoever he was looking at because they already flowed off the edge.

It makes no sense that the water falling off the edge never either stops overflowing at some point or drains entirely. The only thing that would explain it is water being pumped up from the beach floor, but then you'd see the streams bubbling up. You'd think they'd get the city of floating islands to be at least a bit more realistic than the highly-pressurized-underwater-town when it came to physics, but I guess the rocket to the city at the beginning says it all

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Booker eats more food, and is obsessed with water.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I do love that sequence where the extremely obvious undercover agents are trying their best to pretend they are Perfectly Ordinary Citizens.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

Near the end of the video, did you drink a bottle of champagne and two bottles of gin without getting drunk at all? Booker isn't just gaining a tolerance... Booker is... changing...

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Judge Tesla posted:

I do love that sequence where the extremely obvious undercover agents are trying their best to pretend they are Perfectly Ordinary Citizens.

Their mistake was doing too much menial labour.

And you know if it was just shooting people Booker might have a point to make about how they're going to get out but the shotgun decapitations and skull grinding with the sky rail hook could probably be described as needlessly monstrous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Reality is collapsing in on itself, and Elizabeth opens a door to the Persian Carpets Dimension.