Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I think your video got cut off at the end there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Bioshock Infinite Calories: Booker's $51 Adventure

e: and yes, the video cuts off abruptly

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I have a feeling he may have cut off the video there on purpose

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I did consider whether I might be :thejoke:-ing myself, and probably chose wrong :v:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If I could get rid of a bee by opening an interdimensional portal you better believe I would.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
It's also a handy way to go to the toilet whenever you need to.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Judge Tesla posted:

It's also a handy way to go to the toilet whenever you need to.

So that explains the mysterious sidewalk poop I found

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

What desserts and tools do you bring to the lavatory?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Elizabeth, stop dancing off camera. It's only an all-you-can-eat buffet serving nothing but rocket.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

There was an actual battle massacre at Wounded Knee Creek that the game is referencing, although if I wasn't aware of it I'd probably assume it was a Skyrim joke.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I will say that this part of Infinite is pretty okay. A entire section of someone ranting about how someone else is taking credit for all the war crimes and genocides they actually did themselves.

SelenicMartian posted:

Elizabeth, stop dancing off camera. It's only an all-you-can-eat buffet serving nothing but rocket.

Obviously what happened is the Vox took all the candy out of the boxes and replaced it with other foods, as a joke.

CremePudding
Oct 30, 2011
The captions in the Boxer part more or less mean "support the Qing, annihilate the westerners".

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

There was an actual battle massacre at Wounded Knee Creek that the game is referencing, although if I wasn't aware of it I'd probably assume it was a Skyrim joke.

Ken Levine lost his mind when he saw a tweet about "The Skyrim reference", I still think about it and laugh.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Good news! Slate is better now.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I still don't know if its clever that Elizabeth's crying is obviously fake or really dumb that Booker couldn't pick up on that when I could.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
The tears would have been cooler if they pulled Bioshock 1 and 2 stuff instead of just things from the same place.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Booker runs after Elizabeth for 20 minutes, and then the level ends.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Oh bollocks, one goes on a slight vacation, and suddenly there's a massive back-log of uncounted calories!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Booker runs after Elizabeth for 20 minutes, and then the level ends.

The video is glitched out starting at 14:00.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The hell happened there? I'll reupload.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I have no idea why, but reuploading the same file did not work.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

I have no idea why, but reuploading the same file did not work.

Thanks, just popped into the thread to see if it was mentioned and it's already fixed :tipshat:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Today's level is a big square room over a big square room way over a really big square room.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Now that I'm revisiting B:I through this LP is how shallow B:I is so far*. When I was 22 I was really impressed how much "commentary" it "had" back then :eng99:

* I'm implying that it ever gets... not shallow, but I'm not sure anymore.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Every time you find fruit in those card catalogue drawers, I keep imagining Booker pulling out a cubical orange or whatever.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

How the hell would you even know if a bee was on vacation, Fink, you weirdo :rolleyes:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That was an incredibly convenient locker and diary to find.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Captain Hygiene posted:

How the hell would you even know if a bee was on vacation, Fink, you weirdo :rolleyes:

sunglasses

:c00l:

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
That's awful ker ning on the V and the A.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns

TapamN posted:

That's awful ker ning on the V and the A.

Oh, go kern your own V and A!

Jokes aside, that "Queen of Holland" crack that Booker makes always stands out to me as one of the weirder lines in the game. I wish I could find out what the process was behind writing it, but I don't want to research Dutch royalty only to learn there wasn't anything factual behind the line.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Maths, who even needs that thing?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I suppose it may be part of the point but I kind of lost the plot when they hopped over to the other Columbia and Elizabeth warned she might not be able to bring them back my first thought was "If you can't come back to this Columbia then why do you even care about the guns any more and even if you can open another tear in the new Columbia how you would even know where it leads is "your" Columbia and oh forget it."

Also there was that bit earlier where Elizabeth opened a tear to escape Booker and immediately got captured by some guards on the other side but Booker was still able to find her without going through a tear so that means some tears don't cross dimensions and how you would know which is oh forget it.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 22, 2021

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I think how tears work is that Elizabeth uses her power to merge the universe she's currently in with another universe. Normally she merges small portions of universes during combat and can undo them because they are small, but here she went for a big one that's affecting everyone and it's too large to undo.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

ELIZABETH (descending into the poorest part of the city): "Let's talk about me."

Also,

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Kibayasu posted:

I suppose it may be part of the point but I kind of lost the plot when they hopped over to the other Columbia and Elizabeth warned she might not be able to bring them back my first thought was "If you can't come back to this Columbia then why do you even care about the guns any more and even if you can open another tear in the new Columbia how you would even know where it leads is "your" Columbia and oh forget it."

Yeah, this part of the game makes the least logical sense, but I feel that both Lizzy and Booker are both flying by the seat of their pants and not considering second and third order effects. Especially because the effects of tear usage on the wider reality are not visible until they notice the nosebleeds.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I think how tears work is that Elizabeth uses her power to merge the universe she's currently in with another universe. Normally she merges small portions of universes during combat and can undo them because they are small, but here she went for a big one that's affecting everyone and it's too large to undo.

I forgot that it was merging worlds, not simply moving between them. Which helps me understand how real people turn into ghost people.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I don't think Booker cares at all about what's happening around him, at least Jack and Subject Delta were silent player avatars so they cared as much as you did, Booker just goes "Yeah whatever" a lot.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Booker making extremely difficult moral choices.

Funnily enough I also have a friend in a lab that also does a lot of work with mice but I'm fairly certain he would never consider cooking one for fun. Though that might be because he mostly works with the expensive mice, ones with extremely specific genes and traits. He might cook one of the monkeys he worked with for a while though. Those were (understandably) not pleasant animals to be around.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Judge Tesla posted:

I don't think Booker cares at all about what's happening around him, at least Jack and Subject Delta were silent player avatars so they cared as much as you did, Booker just goes "Yeah whatever" a lot.

I can't stop making parallels to Last of Us. In that game, Joel put on a much more convincing "man who has seen poo poo, and is now looking to complete his mission at any cost" character than Booker. Given that the former was ostensibly (if not sincerely) working for the greater good, while the latter just needs to eliminate sa large debt. There are many more differences that are core parts of the stories that they're telling. But in Bioshock Infinite, it seems that Booker is just as in control as previous bioshock protagonists. Except that he is not mind controlled to follow instructions, but follows the most surface level obvious path to a goal.

The more I think about Infinite'd plot, the worse my headache gets. Where did I put the whiskey?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Kibayasu posted:

Booker making extremely difficult moral choices.

Funnily enough I also have a friend in a lab that also does a lot of work with mice but I'm fairly certain he would never consider cooking one for fun. Though that might be because he mostly works with the expensive mice, ones with extremely specific genes and traits. He might cook one of the monkeys he worked with for a while though. Those were (understandably) not pleasant animals to be around.

The more I learn of monkeys, the more I learn that keeping them in captivity is doing neither the monkey nor the captor any favors.

Although that gets towards the slippery slope of whether we should be keeping any non domesticated animal in captivity. I just think that primates are especially bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
People were discussing earlier how Elizabeth is being treated as a plot device rather than a person - oh boy, does the DLC have content for you!

That being She gives up her de facto godhead status in order to save one (1) Little Sister. I guess that darn biological clock went off and she just had to save A Child. But hey, she does some gratuitous violence along the way. #girlboss

I have no idea what the authors were thinking - honestly, the easiest explanation is that they weren't and accidentally reproduced the view of women that still resonates in society today.