Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The revolution is on, for some reason.

Oh, and YouTube did it again.

Why does it keep happening whenever stocks are on the screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Even Elizabeth doesn't know how the game's plot works.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Kibayasu posted:

Even Elizabeth doesn't know how the game's plot works.

I don't even think the game's writers knew how the plot works. Opening tears seems to have only first order effects, and only serve to point to the next arena. Trying to weave a truly comprehensive (or even comprehensible) plot is out of the question.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Yay, we're fighting everyone now!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Aside from the obvious commentary like "this game likes to pretend to be extremely deep while it isn't at all," "wow writing a story about both sides being bad and things being more nuanced in a rebellion against slavery is a really good idea," and "maybe Elizabeth's character and role could have benefited from a second pass" I really like Booker's complete and utter inability to assess a situation or adapt to it, even at the start of the game he can't even manage to try, not even succeed, try to blend in.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

At this point Booker seemed to have accepted the entire concept of travelling to (or something) alternate universes so him still trying to insist to Fitzroy that he delivered the guns so she should now honor the deal and give him the airship just broke my credulity in half.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Its kinda amazing for all the following Bioshock got how they screwed up on every front possible here. Even more amazing is just how muddy this PS3 version is.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Another crazy theory about Chen Lin being more protected in the later universes: How was he even allowed to marry a non-Chinese person? Because in those universes, Columbia did not get involved in the Boxer Rebellion.

What’s the basis of this? In Universe 1, when interrogating Chen, they use a particular offensive slur (gook). In Universe 2, they no longer use the word, instead using a different one (chink).

Both of these terms were quite recent coinages in 1912. The second one is fairly obviously used to mean a Chinese person with probably occasional racist expansion to other peoples, and presumably has always been that way. The first has a more varied history. While nowadays it’s used generically toward East Asians/Pacific Islanders (with some slight bias toward Koreans), it was not like that in this time period. The word likely came into use around 1900, from Americans violently suppressing Filipinos during their rebellion. In 1912 it would again be used by Americans toward Nicaraguans in the course of violently suppressing a rebellion. So at this time it became a derogatory term for any native people when the US (and the Marines in particular) got involved in suppressing rebellions.

What is notable about Columbia in its first timeline? It was involved in violently suppressing the Boxer Rebellion. Historically, the USA was involved there, but not on the level of the Philippines and Nicaragua. But Columbia was involved to about the extent of the others. So in the BS:I Universe 1, it makes sense if the term would have spread quickly from being used by Americans in the Philippines to Americans in China, if they were involved in similar actions (as actually happened in Nicaragua a decade later).

Thus, while Chen is spared due to his connections, he was only allowed to form that connection due to a specific level of friendliness with China in Universes 2 and later. What caused it? Was there no Boxer Rebellion? Was China more powerful? Less powerful? Either way, eh, I can’t do this anymore with a straight face, sorry.

Also it bothers me that this town full of racists depicts their sworn enemy who is not white as a Disney princess. No, I do not want more racist caricatures, but they could at least make them look as awful as the actual mug shots of the other people in the Vox.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 13, 2021

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Kibayasu posted:

At this point Booker seemed to have accepted the entire concept of travelling to (or something) alternate universes so him still trying to insist to Fitzroy that he delivered the guns so she should now honor the deal and give him the airship just broke my credulity in half.

Like I said, Booker doesn't pay attention to anything that's going on, he's the ultimate "Ignorance is Bliss" character.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Its kinda amazing for all the following Bioshock got how they screwed up on every front possible here. Even more amazing is just how muddy this PS3 version is.

The opinion on Bioshock Infinite is weirdly disjointed for me. I heard the hubbub around Bioshock Infinite when it was released, with everyone with a positive opinion whenever I heard about it incidentally.

Now most of the opinions I've seen about Bioshock Infinite more reflect what I see here in the thread. It's a bit odd to me how it has to be still the same game, but that opinions seem to have degraded so much.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Keldulas posted:

The opinion on Bioshock Infinite is weirdly disjointed for me. I heard the hubbub around Bioshock Infinite when it was released, with everyone with a positive opinion whenever I heard about it incidentally.

Now most of the opinions I've seen about Bioshock Infinite more reflect what I see here in the thread. It's a bit odd to me how it has to be still the same game, but that opinions seem to have degraded so much.

As someone that left playing this game originally with a slightly-positive opinion, I have to say that at the very least it manages to give the impression of being deep, especially with regards to the ending of the game. It really appealed to a certain kind of nerd that didn't really understand things, but thought they did.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Confession: I haven't played bioshock 1 for more than a few minutes. I've tried but it just never grabbed me. That said, the combat sections of infinite seem to be a serious step backwards, in terms of level design, enemy types, you name it. Would people who've played both agree or is this a misimpression from just having watched LPs?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

:stonk:

I knew checking every toilet would pay off!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Well at least you know this is when game gets good!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

This is where they remind you they can still do exploration and side areas like a proper 0451 game.
Only they can't.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

:pressf:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Confession: I haven't played bioshock 1 for more than a few minutes. I've tried but it just never grabbed me. That said, the combat sections of infinite seem to be a serious step backwards, in terms of level design, enemy types, you name it. Would people who've played both agree or is this a misimpression from just having watched LPs?

Infinite is wildly better. Having recently LPed it, the original Bioshock did not age well at all from a gameplay standpoint.

That said I'll go to bat for Infinite every time. (Not the DLC)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It isn't an entirely ineffective level to contrast against the Columbia before the Vox but then you're left with the uncomfortable idea of what was worth it about Colu,bia before the Vox. Its very hard to tell if that's intentional or not. Given future events they're obviously trying to evoke a certain other game but for all of Columbia's spectacle it doesn't have the details.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Natural 20 posted:

Having recently LPed it, the original Bioshock did not age well at all from a gameplay standpoint.
It's like you're piloting a big robot the entire game.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Ghosts have a weakness to rockets, it appears. :iiam:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I have to imagine the items in most containers are mostly randomly generated, but either at gameplay time, or at container placement while editing the level. I can't imagine someone spending their workcrunch time slapping cotton candy in registers or deciding that a random cabinet will have 5 dollars and a trunk will have a banana.

OTOH that may be exactly the kind of menial work a AAA developer would have a worker do, maybe.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Space Kablooey posted:

I have to imagine the items in most containers are mostly randomly generated, but either at gameplay time, or at container placement while editing the level. I can't imagine someone spending their workcrunch time slapping cotton candy in registers or deciding that a random cabinet will have 5 dollars and a trunk will have a banana.

OTOH that may be exactly the kind of menial work a AAA developer would have a worker do, maybe.

I can see people walking into work with a hot dog or frankfurter, slipping it into their desk or a handy cabinet so that they don't have to buy an expensive rear end lunch

Watching the delusions of lady comstock and her depressing battle of following her moral compass vs keeping comstock on such a high pedestal is frustrating. I think in 2013 it woukd have been seen as a kind of novel struggle that may not be widely experienced. But trotting it out today would be seen as too on-the-nose.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

sb hermit posted:

I can see people walking into work with a hot dog or frankfurter, slipping it into their desk or a handy cabinet so that they don't have to buy an expensive rear end lunch

Watching the delusions of lady comstock and her depressing battle of following her moral compass vs keeping comstock on such a high pedestal is frustrating. I think in 2013 it woukd have been seen as a kind of novel struggle that may not be widely experienced. But trotting it out today would be seen as too on-the-nose.
Have you heard the story of Burger Becky, aka Rebecca Heineman? Because if not it's exactly what you describe but with ground beef rather than pork intestine.

"Gamasutra posted:

I've been holding off on this question for awhile, but I have to know. How'd you get to be called "Burger"?

RH: Remember when I told you I was flat broke? When we founded Interplay, we didn't pay ourselves much. We were starving. When I was at Boone Corporation, I was being paid twelve thousand a year. Slave wages. I was a kid; I didn't know any better. My entire life was get up, go to work, work until I'm too tired, sleep, repeat. Didn't have time for cooking, and I didn't have any money.

There was a place called Hamburger Stand. They sold 29 cent hamburgers. Since I spent most of my time at the office, I didn't want to walk over, buy a burger, and walk back.

So I'd buy a bag of twenty of them. Blow six bucks, get twenty burgers, go to my office, and put them in a drawer. I was too cheap to buy a refrigerator -- well, really too broke. Every so often I'd open the drawer and eat a burger.

I had an office mate who was a health food nut, constantly complaining about how I should eat right, exercise like he did. One day I was working all through the night. I didn't leave. It's the morning, and he comes in, sits across from me. I'm still working.

Around 3 p.m., I'm done. Burger time! I pull open the drawer, reach in, put the bag down, grab a burger, and start munching. Wasn't thinking anything about it. That's when my co-worker looks at me, looks back, looks at me -- and it dawns on him that the bag has been there for who knows how long. Those burgers are pretty firm.

He just loses it. He jumps up, his chair goes flying, he goes, "That burger is insane! That burger is insane!" He runs out. I'm sitting there like, "What's with him? Whatever." Then later Brian Fargo comes in and asks what I did to him. I didn't do anything. What's going on? My co-worker had gone to the restroom and tossed his cookies. That's how disgusted he was.

So then, the rumor started. "Did you eat any burgers lately?" So they started calling me Burger. I played along. "Okay, I'll get a burger. I'll eat a burger." Later on, unbeknownst to anybody, I had an issue with the name I was given at birth. So I would rather be called Burger than by that birth name. "Just call me burger." For the next twenty years, that was my name. Everybody called me Burger. Now my name is Becky. I finally shed the name Burger.

After Tass Times in Tonetown was finally earring a real salary. Then I started eating real food. It was also when Brian Fargo started developing a taste for sushi. I didn't want to eat anything else but burgers by then -- I was in a rut, McDonald's, Wendy's, Arby's. Brian took us to a sushi place. I was like, "Ew!" But the rumor was that I would eat anything. Brian said, "I don't know what's in that tray, but if you a big helping of it, I'll pay for your meal." Free food? I was so there. It wasn't bad! Today it's my favorite food.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

NGDBSS posted:

Have you heard the story of Burger Becky, aka Rebecca Heineman? Because if not it's exactly what you describe but with ground beef rather than pork intestine.

I think I read this before but it's always crazy to read again.

To be honest, I would probably do the same but with bean burritos if I was being paid terribly.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

NGDBSS posted:

This is the first time im reading this and it's :smith:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Ghost mothering is the next level of helicopter parenting.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Nice of the game to spell out what was happening just in case you didn't get it from the hours of careful build up beforehand.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
I'd been waiting for the Phantom Not-Mom part of the playthrough to see if my memory served correctly--this is when the game stopped tricking me so effectively during my first playthrough years ago. The different realities & differing consequences in those realities were intriguing enough as a whole to string me along and look past the logical issues that had begun to pile up, but once Elizabeth gave a monologue to this ghost boss that's long overstayed its welcome at this point, and the game makes it seem like I'm supposed to give an extra poo poo about it, I started questioning if the plot was going to be anywhere near satisfactory in the end.

From the sounds of it, I'm extra-glad I didn't play the DLC... but i still kinda wanna see you play it lol

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The first DLC was kinda good, the second not so much.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I absolutely want to see the DLCs from the furthest place possible, they sound absolutely delightful.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that the ghost mom is one of the few setpieces from Infinite that I can remember. Other than "ghost mom", it seems I had completely forgotten any other context around her.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ghost mom concept is dumb and irrelevant and I'm happy that she only really occupies one level. But it makes all that buildup from the previous levels unsatisfying.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

It's the wheelchairs-and-poo poo-lighting level!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I distinctly remember in the xbox 360 version that you lose all your weapons when you enter comstock house, so it's in your best interest to avoid the warden's gaze in order to avoid triggering enemies and thus minimize attacks (since all you have is a pistol and your magic to help you out, and these enemies can really soak damage). The PS3 version probably eschewed that since they couldn't get it working right.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

While I agree with a lot that has been said, I don't agree with "This game doesn't have an ideology." It thinks it doesn't, it thinks it is ethereally fair and balanced, aloof and detached from the base matters of the facts of the lives and deaths of millions and billions, with its groundbreaking story about rescuing a hapless but magical girl, but it does have an ideology. It tries to set up a political conflict as a backdrop and instantly shows its rear end by going out and saying that on the one hand slavery is bad, but rebelling against slavers is also bad, and done by bad people who massacre innocents.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

That's a great movie to put in a place with easily excitable people.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

SelenicMartian posted:

Well, he died for his craft. Too bad he never got to see the chuckles that it generated.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

presumably they recovered the footage from the ground, right? And the camera and the film reel survived the trip downwards somehow

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
This is why I prefer Bioshock 2 when I feel like playing a Bioshock game, no stupid paracausal mother ghosts or the oppressed becoming the oppressors, just you as a Big Daddy storming around a collapsing Rapture looking for your lost former little sister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Bioshock 2 does have the most interesting and dynamic gameplay, in my opinion, so I would agree.

Of course, it also has (shudder) Lamb.