Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That first part was offensively French indeed (and there are some minor issues with the French in the menu, also with the prices, but, you know.) but very pretty, and that other part was very correct, very good video game writing, and I particularly enjoyed the bit, sorry, I'm told the proper terms is, uhh, "subverted trope" where instead of playing the powerful heroine, we get the depowered damsel in distress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

she really does look like belle from the disney beauty and the beast in that first portrait.

And she plays like one too, at least in that first segment before we encounter balloon girl.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

God I remember that first baby. Why even have that baby. Was it a joke? Was it supposed to be like that because dream?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Thief: The Dumb Project.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Why is there a school in the department store? It seemed more like a real kindergarten school than just a day care for people shopping.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Maigius posted:

Why is there a school in the department store? It seemed more like a real kindergarten school than just a day care for people shopping.

Because the main game had already done the mental asylum and kindergarten is the next thing on the list of spooky places. Which is also why it pops up in Dead Space, F.E.A.R. 2 and tons of lovely horror.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That's not how lockpicking works.

But I am glad that NPCs get in the Thief 3 knocked out position so often, it reminds me of a good game.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Hel posted:

Because the main game had already done the mental asylum and kindergarten is the next thing on the list of spooky places. Which is also why it pops up in Dead Space, F.E.A.R. 2 and tons of lovely horror.

this also reminds me of the children's theme park near the end of Bioshock 2

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

They're just casually dropping that Elizabeth has her face on posters. And no one recognizes her anyway.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I do appreciate that Bioshock Infinite is shitposting about Bioshock the first.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I'm gonna hide my big secret behind three bottles in a place full of looters.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

As choices go at least "go back to Rapture" and "stay in a world with a Columbia" isn't necessarily an easy one if they're the only ones.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

There he is, people. Wearing tight shiny striped pants. Why is he so shiny?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It's really funny watching a writer realize their story needs a few crutches to work right and proceed to slam into a few extra branches on the way down the tree to gather them, but, between the extra contrivances and the one black lady being two white bosses' puppet, I enjoy that Elizabeth actually presses elevator buttons like a human being instead of the gruff dadgame syndrome that demanded Booker punch them.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I hope that massive blood spatter you left on the window is cleaned up in time for the future cutscene.

SIGSEGV posted:

It's really funny watching a writer realize their story needs a few crutches to work right and proceed to slam into a few extra branches on the way down the tree to gather them, but, between the extra contrivances and the one black lady being two white bosses' puppet, I enjoy that Elizabeth actually presses elevator buttons like a human being instead of the gruff dadgame syndrome that demanded Booker punch them.

Also having to die so another white person can become jesus or whatever.

Its certainly an attempt to correct a wrong but when the foundation is flawed to begin with there's only so much you can do working on top of it.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
It is a somewhat rare thing to run into a plot development that is worse than literally anything else they could have done (including doing nothing at all), but darned if the Daisy Fitzroy thing isn't exactly that.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I am confident they'll manage to crib worse elements from other things before this beautiful and inspiring work of art, it says so in the nine out of ten review, mom, is over. And of course from the minds of its creators.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

OK, is Songbird a flying dog?

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
That fan campaign for Thief 2 you mentioned is called:

T2X: Shadows of the Metal Age.

Because it was installed as a standalone game, for a long time, it was one of the harder FMs to get running on modern machines. I -think- that's been fixed for a while now. I've been meaning to replay it and a bunch of other FMs I loved, and see what else that's good has come out., but I'm also buried beneath a gigantic DOOM backlog.

I can barely think of anything to say about this game, positive or negative. It's nothing trying to be something.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Isn't the main point of the wire mother experiment, that infant monkeys prefer the cloth mother rather than the wire mother, even if the wire mother can feed? I barely remember Psych 101, but the general imprinting thing seems off to me.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns

Maigius posted:

Isn't the main point of the wire mother experiment, that infant monkeys prefer the cloth mother rather than the wire mother, even if the wire mother can feed? I barely remember Psych 101, but the general imprinting thing seems off to me.

Maybe that's why their own experiment failed? What I'm most curious about are the rows of tanks of dead dogs. Why are they hoarding dog corpses when they can just toss them over the edge of their floating city? There has to be a reason to keep them around (in-game, that is - "shock value" doesn't count), because otherwise, this game could be, quite possibly, not very well-written

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Yeah, I think the practice is they imprint on the cloth mother and not the wire one, even if the cloth one can't feed them and the wire one can. I note that the bottom of the tanks is littered with dead dogs but there's always a single one floating, my theory is that this is how they get those precious floating particles.

They could have done the dog thing without major efforts of imagination by having notes that they failed one many, many batches of dogs and having that project be cancelled and also having notes close by that the slaves were unhappy that they no longer got decent amounts of unidentified meat in their meals, that would be about ten thousand times more subtle, reaching about 0.1 Garth Marenghis.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

There were two famous rhesus monkey experiments with the 'wire mother'. It's the first one that is being referenced -- that the animal will always prefer whatever was first presented as 'mother'. The monkey would stay with the wire mother instead of the cloth one (or the cloth one instead of the wire one) when it was the only one they knew originally. The other experiment is as stated, about the preference for cloth over wire despite the cloth's lack of food, when both were present at the start.

It sort of seems like the dog tests are maybe trying to reference the (real-life) experiments on the long-term effects of radiation, at least with the lone one in the tank. See, for instance, the photo here[animal cruelty warning] for how the dogs were treated and what was being studied. I'm not aware of any piles of dog carcasses that were kept preserved in real life, but possibly in-game they're contaminated with radiation?

None of this seems really relevant to the Songbird, which never needed an explanation like this anyway. Really the problem is that the writing just keeps going further downhill, making things worse the longer this DLC goes on.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think its fair to say that the more technical details between Rapture and Columbia were probably going to be in the main game but didn't make it so everything of that nature here always felt fine. All the constant allusions to abusive relationships between Elizabeth and Songbird without really making anything of it never really fells good though.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns

Kangra posted:

Really the problem is that the writing just keeps going further downhill, making things worse the longer this DLC goes on.

It's especially fascinating that this decline is still happening, considering the handyman factory/mutilation clinic being a much more relevant and topically rich environment than a daycare as would be managed by Lex Luthor.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

We did all that poo poo for a psychosurgery lecture from a fake Irishman.
Tonight's special: every character remarking how stupid the writing is.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Wow, this really was downhill all the way. Explaining things that didn't need to, providing worse explanations for things were already explained and then writing itself out of existence. Not surprised this isn't remembered fondly.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

So the implication here is that rapture was the worst thing in all possible universes, I guess?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

So we see the plight of the oppressed and the black leading them is sacrificed by white scientists to enable the manic pixie dream girl messiah to happen, who is then depowered after killing all the previous main characters, and then her adventures at saving a girl she's never met generate a situation in which the world possibly ends and also the sacrifice of the manic pixie dream girl superpowered goddess enables the one final and important fight: the original bioshock story.

Also a lot of the soundtrack of these cutscenes is a lot of "woman suffering, generic, vol. 3 through 12".

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Thank you for this LP. I have a copy of the collection on switch that will now never be opened because the dlc is so dumb.

I think it's ok that Elizabeth decided that the best she could do is a 33% or so chance for Sally to live a life above the surface. After all, there's at least one reality where Anna didn't survive a fight over custody.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

Thanks SelenicMartian, I hate it. I think I can still consider the base game as something people can enjoy and that's perfectly fine, but I can't fathom a world where someone was satisfied with that DLC overall unless they were just first-hand experiencers and fans of lobotomies. I hadn't believed I could respect Ken Levine any less, but that torture scene was full-on garbage. Elizabeth sat there making sounds like she was struggling to get free, not feeling an ice pick inside her eye socket up against her skull. I wouldn't be surprised if they DID try more realistic reactions from her VA until they realized it just made the scene even less endurable, which should have been their big sign to scrap this scene for something better - I would say "like anything else", except considering what we've seen them poo poo out over the course of the game and DLC, I firmly believe they're capable of doing even worse than what we got.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this story so I could tell you the first story again.

Honestly I don't have much of a problem with Burial at Sea looping back into Bioshock outside of the clumsy attempt at rewriting the Vox's turn. Some clumsy retcons that didn't need to be retcons, sure, but ultimately harmless. No one's really mourning Elizabeth's loss to the canon. And to be fair to the timeline I suppose it would take at least a couple weeks to get a message to Bioshock's protagonist and get a flight over Rapture.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Thanks for the first person torture scene, Ken.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
We already knew Atlas/Fontaine was a monster so what in gods name was the Elisabeth torture show in service of, I get the self sacrifice poo poo but did you really have to do it so brutally Ken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also explaining Songbird feels odd because the base game makes plenty of sense when you see the design documents for Songbird (and that he's kind of a big daddy variant) that he's probably another Booker inside the suit.