Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I am a huge proponent of black and white for forest work. Removing the colour layer gets rid of a lot of muddiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Same, except in snow when everything is green, brown, or white :allears:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Brown is just dingy yellow and everyone goes nuts for yellow trees because the contrast against cool tones is appealing. So if you convert to/shoot b&w you get the contrast but not the gross browns.

Unless you want those gross browns. That's cool too.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Megabound posted:

I am a huge proponent of black and white for forest work. Removing the colour layer gets rid of a lot of muddiness.

Been trying a little of that but the beautiful greens and browns that catch my eye often end up very similar greys and it doesn't work.

I'll try and focus more on form and shadow, with the longer days and harsher sun of summer maybe I'll spot more scenes, been weeks of mostly overcast recently.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

This isn't in the snow, and my recent snow shots I converted to b&w, but whatever

Love some good browns

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Love the forest shots. Especially these two.

Mega Comrade posted:

I live next to a forest now, so that's all I take pictures of. That and birds.
Trying to capture the beauty of a forest is HARD, you see something amazing but its just too noisy to make a good image once you get home. Well practise makes perfect.

Here's a bunch of practise.

The local forests are my first choice when I just want to take some photos and chill out. There's always something unique to find.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

This isn't in the snow, and my recent snow shots I converted to b&w, but whatever

Love some good browns

Agreed but the greens are the star of this show, holy moly

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Love some good browns

Lovely, thanks for sharing.

QuasiQuack posted:

Love the forest shots. Especially these two.

The local forests are my first choice when I just want to take some photos and chill out. There's always something unique to find.

Love a good branch.

And yes. I'm taking my camera with me every day with the dog, 99% of what I take gets chucked but it's very zen.
On weekends I'm trying to go out with the tripod and put in a little more effort and slow down a little.

How did this look in B&W?

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 4, 2024

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Mega Comrade posted:

How did this look in B&W?

I feel it loses something tbh. The colors are weird and unappealing, but that was part of what made it interesting to me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A few from the last month or so, I kinda like them and kinda don't. The advantage is I can get to this spot and back for sunrise before work starts so I can keep returning until the conditions really hit. Or I find a composition that works.

Last one is probably my favorite, if I can get glassy water on a orange sunrise I think I'd love it.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

QuasiQuack posted:

I feel it loses something tbh. The colors are weird and unappealing, but that was part of what made it interesting to me.

The other thing you need to make black and white really work for a forest scene is dappled lighting

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How about a green filter for b&w forest shots? I’ve heard those help

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

A green filter will lighten foliage in comparison to the brown/red background. So yeah, suitable if that's the separation you're chasing.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Downtown Charleston-543 by Will King, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
April 8, 2024 - Partial Eclipse by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

made a cardboard bracket to hold my 10-stop ND filter and taped it to the end of my 200-500 lens hood

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Went pretty well! Longer lens would've been nicer but I'm not going to complain.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Did you vary your exposure length at that focal length and take a bunch of images? Because you might have enough data to do one of those corona shots, the full corona is massive and you probably had a good focal length to capture all of it.

eg, https://www.reddit.com/r/space/comments/7e3fkh/i_combined_12_exposures_to_capture_the_suns/ still manages to clip the edges.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I set it to -1/0/1 exposure bracketing and left it on auto shutter so I didn't have to futz with the camera while watching. That's a good idea though, might play with stacking and see if I got anything fun hiding in there.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Drove a cumulative ~14 hours from Chicagoland to rural IL to stare at the sun. Would recommend. Got some wild shots - was not expecting to be able to see solar flares.

I may end up diving full bore into astrophotography now. :homebrew:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Good luck with that in Chicagoland! As someone that struggled with it for years, a list of my favorite dark spots within driving distance of the city, sorted by quality of the skies:

Nachusa Grasslands (1 hour)
Weinberg-King State Fish and Wildlife Area (4 hours)
Hogback Prairie SNA, Wisconsin (4 hours)
Tettegouche State Park, Minnesota (8 hours)
Nebraska Natioanal Forest at Halsey (11 hours)

Note that the importance of darkness depends on the angle of your shooting. If you want the horizon in frame, light domes from cities can be annoying. But if you know what direction you're shooting you can work around it, like lots of places on the north shore of the Michigan's upper peninsula are extremely dark if you're shooting north.

If you're shooting straight up you can get away with more light pollution.

Start planning for the perseids because it's going to be a decent year for it, the moon will be below horizon during the peak.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

xzzy posted:

Good luck with that in Chicagoland! As someone that struggled with it for years, a list of my favorite dark spots within driving distance of the city, sorted by quality of the skies:

Nachusa Grasslands (1 hour)
Weinberg-King State Fish and Wildlife Area (4 hours)
Hogback Prairie SNA, Wisconsin (4 hours)
Tettegouche State Park, Minnesota (8 hours)
Nebraska Natioanal Forest at Halsey (11 hours)

Note that the importance of darkness depends on the angle of your shooting. If you want the horizon in frame, light domes from cities can be annoying. But if you know what direction you're shooting you can work around it, like lots of places on the north shore of the Michigan's upper peninsula are extremely dark if you're shooting north.

If you're shooting straight up you can get away with more light pollution.

Start planning for the perseids because it's going to be a decent year for it, the moon will be below horizon during the peak.

Yeah, it's not ideal but I am willing to do some driving to get to some cool spots. I've spent a fair bit of time in the Nebraska Sandhills and it is dark there like you mention.

Might poke around northern WI or the UP as I have been meaning to explore that area more. Time to start looking at star trackers again....

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

charliebravo77 posted:

Might poke around northern WI or the UP as I have been meaning to explore that area more. Time to start looking at star trackers again....

Check out Pine Lake and Lake Lenawee near Moquah Barrens SNA when the fall color hits. Glorious weather that time of year, the barrens give a clear view of the skies and the lakes have miles of second growth forest to explore. I never did astro there but I assume it'd work great. There's just no foregrounds to play with.

I went up there every fall for several years and never had a bad time.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo
2 for 110 squash

edit: and some cubed radish kimchi in 35mm

Father O'Blivion fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 11, 2024

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

From today again.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Ihmemies posted:

From today again.

I love this composition

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thanks! I only wish I stopped down the aperture in certain situations, like that… :D

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Father O'Blivion posted:

edit: and some cubed radish kimchi in 35mm

very cool. I'd love to take/see more food photography in general but I don't wanna be the guy that pulls put a huge camera before eating lol

Your stuff is always great but I especially like this one. Nice contrast of hard lines vs a big crowd spilling out

field balm fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 13, 2024

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Was in Paris last week.

IMG_6153-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_6172.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_6150-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

From an outdoor concert.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Too many.. too many..

For some reason I always put on my fisheye lens when visiting Spinni..

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
:swoon:

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Love the student overalls patches thing, cool tradition.

Unrelated, I live in Revachol.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There is zero reason that the markings in the sprocket area of Fuji 800 need to go this drat hard

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Corgi-123 by Will King, on Flickr

Corgi-127 by Will King, on Flickr

Corgi-129 by Will King, on Flickr