Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A b-side from this winter. It's pretty messy but that curvy hill caught my attention as I was walking by and at least in my pea brain it kinda saves it. A little.

Or maybe I'm so desperate for hills here in Illinois any terrain feature is overvalued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

East washington is a place everyone always brands as horrible and boring but man some good pictures come out of that region.

I can see why people think it though, the route I-90 takes is amazingly monotonous.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have trouble getting those shots with digital, doing it on film is pretty drat hardcore.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Megabound posted:

With a hit rate of 1/360 I'd say he has trouble getting them too

I suppose, but I've shot thousands on a day of racing and gotten maybe a handful.

Granted at that point I was much newer and using pretty bad lenses but still, panning shots on fast cars is real hard.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think if you made it a ‘thing’ to shoot random small buildings from the same angle that could be a lot of fun.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You could always cheat it by using the transform features in LR.. assuming you use LR.

I think the image as presented does the job just fine though. It doesn't feel poorly balanced to me at all.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not just build quality, but the shape of the aperture blades (curved vs round edges), the number of them, and the lens element design all factor in to it. The rule of thumb is that cheaper lenses won't make as crisp stars, but it's not always true. Modern lens design prioritizes bokeh quality and this tends to make more blurry stars, so even expensive lens can have less than ideal results.

But it's all subjective, so "ideal results" varies from person to person.

To my eye the manual focus nikon 50mm f/1.2 does them the best.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also never buy preset packs, just do your own thing and come up with your own look.

If you ever push a slider too far the goon police will quickly put you in your place (it's a good way to learn).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A space thing happened last night

lunar eclipse over the wilson hall by Seth Graham, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fortunately it's not a super complex concept, yeah it's weird at first but after a little while it'll all become muscle memory and you can worry about what everyone else worries about: is this composition any good or am I a complete failure?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I saw some stars and stuff.

perseid meteor shower over the boar's tusk

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thanks everyone. I couldn't decide what thread to put it in and this seemed like a good failsafe.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

yeah those are nice tree details. When I do that stuff I tend to leave out the background because it feels messy to me but you making it work.

eg,

So it's cool to see how other people do it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That aurora animation is a cool plan B though.

Catching meteors is a huge pain in the rear end. I feel like you need a lens that can do 1.4 to have any success (it took me 7 years to learn this).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just keep in mind that a meteor will hit a pixel on your sensor for about 1/100 of a second and they're roughly as bright as an average star. So next time you're out take some 1/100 shots of the sky and note how many stars you've captured. Adjust iso and aperture to get as many stars as possible and that's a ballpark for your meteor setup. When actually doing meteors set the exposure length as long as possible to avoid star trails then sit back and relax.

And yes, winter astro is painful. It's why I skip the geminids.. sitting idle in the cold is no fun at all. Last time I tried it was a lunar eclipse several years ago at -13C and was miserable. I eventually cobbled a setup where I ran the wires for my intervalometer and battery pack through the car door and sat in the car all night.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Meteors do last longer, but they move. The light from them will only hit a specific pixel on your sensor for a very short time as they streak across the scene.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How do your photo walks work out? The ones I've been on have all been the group stringing out over a half mile of trail and no one really able to hang out because of it.

I guess it's a little easier to stick together in an urban area.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why woodland folks have a fetish for fog. I feel like it's kind of a cop out and produces a lot of samey looking photos but it sure as heck is effective. I definitely get happy when I'm in a foggy forest.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Brown is just dingy yellow and everyone goes nuts for yellow trees because the contrast against cool tones is appealing. So if you convert to/shoot b&w you get the contrast but not the gross browns.

Unless you want those gross browns. That's cool too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A few from the last month or so, I kinda like them and kinda don't. The advantage is I can get to this spot and back for sunrise before work starts so I can keep returning until the conditions really hit. Or I find a composition that works.

Last one is probably my favorite, if I can get glassy water on a orange sunrise I think I'd love it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Did you vary your exposure length at that focal length and take a bunch of images? Because you might have enough data to do one of those corona shots, the full corona is massive and you probably had a good focal length to capture all of it.

eg, https://www.reddit.com/r/space/comments/7e3fkh/i_combined_12_exposures_to_capture_the_suns/ still manages to clip the edges.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Good luck with that in Chicagoland! As someone that struggled with it for years, a list of my favorite dark spots within driving distance of the city, sorted by quality of the skies:

Nachusa Grasslands (1 hour)
Weinberg-King State Fish and Wildlife Area (4 hours)
Hogback Prairie SNA, Wisconsin (4 hours)
Tettegouche State Park, Minnesota (8 hours)
Nebraska Natioanal Forest at Halsey (11 hours)

Note that the importance of darkness depends on the angle of your shooting. If you want the horizon in frame, light domes from cities can be annoying. But if you know what direction you're shooting you can work around it, like lots of places on the north shore of the Michigan's upper peninsula are extremely dark if you're shooting north.

If you're shooting straight up you can get away with more light pollution.

Start planning for the perseids because it's going to be a decent year for it, the moon will be below horizon during the peak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

charliebravo77 posted:

Might poke around northern WI or the UP as I have been meaning to explore that area more. Time to start looking at star trackers again....

Check out Pine Lake and Lake Lenawee near Moquah Barrens SNA when the fall color hits. Glorious weather that time of year, the barrens give a clear view of the skies and the lakes have miles of second growth forest to explore. I never did astro there but I assume it'd work great. There's just no foregrounds to play with.

I went up there every fall for several years and never had a bad time.