Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Another beginner Just Posting was the kick my anxious rear end needed to start putting up a few photos, thanks field balm. I got really into photography on a trip to Japan i november and have been shooting a lot since then, but feel like I still don't really know what I'm doing.

This is from a beach outside Oslo.

P2040059 by QuasiQuack, on Flickr

I bought Understanding Exposure and am nearly through it, and it's really informative. Remembering all of it when I'm exited and scrambling to get a shot is another thing. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Fantastic. Pulled my eyes straight to the dog.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Gee, thanks :shobon: I wish it weren't so overcast, but I guess you gotta pay the hand you're dealt.

This "abandoned" cabin close to the Norway/Sweden border was filled with brand new cigarette packs :ssh:

QuasiQuack fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 12, 2023

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

I was walking my dog when I saw this luftballoon floating in the summer sky. I quickly snapped a photo, but the exposure was off.
I must have 99 edits of this horizon by now, and this is the best I was able to get out of it.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Viginti Septem posted:

On a serious note, have you pondered the effects of cropping most of that landmass off the bottom since there's not a lot of detail in the shadow. Like, maybe just a very brief horizon line, then all sky.

Comically enough that's one of the first things I tried, and you're right that it works better.

But then I got kind of sidetracked by the thought of making a trio of portrait orientation photos with emphasis on one RGB color each.
Basically I got too caught up in whether I could, without considering whether I should. And then I crowned it with a stupid joke post Nena reference. :v:

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Viginti Septem posted:

Yea there we go. That's about the exact crop I made when I dropped your photo into PS a minute ago.

I also did a b/w version to see if it might work that way. Editing a small jpg is like pulling teeth so ignore the banding.

Edit: to me, the key for the foreground land is that you get those three different shades of lightness on the mountains. Darker up front, mid lightness in the middle, light at the far mountain. Color or b/w, I think as long as you get those three grades lit properly, you don't need much land up front in the image. The fading mountains show depth.

Cool, thanks. I was trying my darndest to get the shading more pronounced, but just couldn't get rid of a blue tint to it without ruining the rest of the colors. I recently upgraded to capture one pro and there's so many tools I don't know how to use properly.

B&W probably is the way to go for this one.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Viginti Septem posted:

I think you nailed the shading here in this one. Bringing that white point up is a good trick.

Gotta admit, that was just a preset as I was feeling a little done with it. But I gave it more go, to put a personal touch on it.

And now I'll stop making GBS threads up the thread with the same image over and over. Thank you for your good input. :v:

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Ihmemies posted:

I was on our camera club's summer sauna. Camera was mostly dead weight, except this is quite nice!

That's beautiful!

I've been spending a lot of time in the woods lately.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Ihmemies posted:

Need to go out around/after sunset more often.

I agree because those are incredible. va va voom.

I always find myself between some dumb mountain and the setting sun, making everything pink and purple. I want those golden rays.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

drat that's so cool. I was hoping to get some cool harbor perseid shots but got hosed by 100% cloud cover :(

Here's some low effort travel shots (unless you count the physical exertion of a full days hike)

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Ihmemies posted:

I participated in a 24h photo marathon. We got 24 subjects and had to take a photo for each task. I'll just dump it all. Usually I take portraits and event photos, so I tried to try something else. Weird techniques, longer exposures, multiple exposures etc. I slept for 9 hours, ate, went shopping, had a job interview etc. I estimate I spent maybe 20 minutes for each photo so around 8 hours total, maybe.

Sorry for the massive photo dump.

Super cool stuff. Are the numbered descriptions the task prompts or the titles for the photos?

Doggles posted:

COVID quarantine photoshoot with the pupper this weekend. :kimchi:

Corgi-28 by Will King, on Flickr

Gosh what a beauty.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Aw, thanks :kimchi:

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Gonna try to Just Post my way out of a creative funk.

With winter on the doorstep I'm really gonna miss the fall foliage.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

ploots posted:

love the light and color on all of these

Thanks a lot :shobon:

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Finally got my first film shots, taken a year ago, scanned. The roll was mostly a wash but I think these two came out nice.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Wibla posted:

I like them both :) The framing of the photo taken at Økern T is pretty cool.

Thanks. :norway:

RillAkBea posted:

I went downtown today to buy a smartwatch and ogle cameras I can’t afford (a9 III was pretty neat) and ended up running into a “revolutionary Marxist” peace rally.

Slogans included “Crush Russia’s invasion of Ukraine!” and “Condemn Israel’s mass genocide of the Gaza people!” which is a lot nicer than black van brigade at the very least.

That's cool. Really like the framing of this one, an interesting mix of isolation and comradery.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Love the forest shots. Especially these two.

Mega Comrade posted:

I live next to a forest now, so that's all I take pictures of. That and birds.
Trying to capture the beauty of a forest is HARD, you see something amazing but its just too noisy to make a good image once you get home. Well practise makes perfect.

Here's a bunch of practise.

The local forests are my first choice when I just want to take some photos and chill out. There's always something unique to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Mega Comrade posted:

How did this look in B&W?

I feel it loses something tbh. The colors are weird and unappealing, but that was part of what made it interesting to me.