Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I've been reading this thread for a while and i've gotta say most of these pictures don't look low effort at all!

i got my first dslr (an old d40) the other day, and while I don't really understand what I'm doing just yet (my interest has generally been in lovely lofi photography) I'm excited to just post. Walked around Tweed Heads today while the missus got her haircut, took a bunch of photos but I thought these ones were pretty cool - there's a crazy rental crisis going on and lots of people are living out of vans, busses, campers etc. I have no idea how to process raws yet so the colours are probably a bit whacky sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

tuyop posted:

I don't think I'm very good but one of the things that I habitually do with almost all my photos is to up the contrast either through curves or with a slider. It's like an exploratory step to try to get the picture to represent the focal point that I had in mind when I shot it.

I really like the van in front of the apartments in your post, so here's how I start out the workflow:

Here's the original, opened in Preview with the "Adjust Color" tool selected.

Right off the top I can see that the image is exposed to give you great detail in the highlights and shadows. What's lacking here is contrast, everything has the same flat, grey aspect because the camera doesn't know what you want to pop out.

Next, I just pull in the level ends so that the extra information at either end of the histogram gets dropped:

If my dad had asked me to touch up one of his snapshots, I may stop at this point just because I know he's not really looking for much more. However, I did lose some detail in the clouds and the roof of the van. I don't mind that but ymmv

Now I adjust the contrast and the midpoint until the van pops even more.

Little bit better but I think this scene should be a bit more... orange. It gives me a vibe of hot parking lot and the temperature is simply too cool for that.

So now I mess with the other sliders. Each change I make I usually confirm that it has a positive effect by wiggling the other sliders a bit. After adjusting the contrast and highlights here, for instance, I brought the right side of the level slider back and forth to see what effect my changes were having on the roof and the clouds.

I turned up the exposure so I could increase the contrast even more (boosting the highlights) without losing shadow detail. I also increased the saturation to give the picture more of that scorching parking lot feel, balanced by trying to bring the temperature cooler to give the sky some contrast. Then a little bit of sepia and sharpness because I liked the result of that.

The image after this little bit of futzing.

With this shot, I would now try to mask off the sky and apply a "dehaze" gradient mask over it to give it some additional drama. Depending on the effect I want I would also try masking off the grass and tree leaves and playing with the saturation and colours on those bits, since they could be either more vibrant or more washed out, depending.

Edit: Oh, I also think the composition would be a bit better if the van was closer to the center of the frame. Having it bunched in the corner there feels cramped and I'm not sure whether it or the buildings are the important part of the shot. Unless the point of the photo is that the van is only a transient, temporary part of the scene and the tension between the van and the apartments and the beautiful sky is the point here...

Thanks so much for showing this step by step process - the explanations of WHY you're doing what you're doing at different steps are much more helpful than a lot of the videos i've watched where they just go "now do this". I assume that is the adobe software your using?

By FAR the most useful part of this was rolling off either end of the spectrum - coming from an audio background this directly translates to high and low passing which has already improved the images i'm working on heaps, without getting into the contrast stuff yet.

The final image looks blown out on my monitor, which has made me realise that's probably something else I'll have to upgrade if I want to take this seriously lol.

Anyway I had a shot at applying some of the stuff suggested, and I think colorwise it came out more accurate and definitely shows more detail.
old:

new:

probably still a little washed out, but definitely an improvement imo.

E: Chucking in another picture of some lizards! I might have made the dark parts in this too light, its really hard to tell lol.

field balm fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 11, 2023

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

somewhere in Ueno or Akihabara

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Trying my hand at some surf photography. Turns out taking photos in direct sunlight in the middle of the day means I blew out pretty much all the highlights, so only a couple of pics were "useable". I'm also experimenting with adding some grain and I think it worked well here - does a bit to hide the low resolution of the 40d.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

amazing textures!

RillAkBea posted:

Thank you, I really have no idea what I'm doing half the time to be honest but I occasionally get a good shot. The photo turned out fine, it's just that the buffer size is so tiny you can get a much faster usable fps out of single shot.

Another pic to keep things going, I was taking some pictures of birds on the river the other day but I had been messing with some settings and forgot to reset everything so it came out slightly artier than I was trying for.

this is really nice too, great separation considering its all water!

anyway i got a polarizing filter today and don't know how i lived without it.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

cool stuff. is it usable/not flare-y when not facing a light? i keep getting these ideas about buying one of those wierd 6-12mm cctv lenses off ebay to stick on my m43.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

love this one

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

I live next to a forest now, so that's all I take pictures of. That and birds.
Trying to capture the beauty of a forest is HARD, you see something amazing but its just too noisy to make a good image once you get home. Well practise makes perfect.

Here's a bunch of practise.

These are all really nice but 3 and 5 are my favourite. I know what you mean about it being too noisy, absolutely a struggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Father O'Blivion posted:

edit: and some cubed radish kimchi in 35mm

very cool. I'd love to take/see more food photography in general but I don't wanna be the guy that pulls put a huge camera before eating lol

Your stuff is always great but I especially like this one. Nice contrast of hard lines vs a big crowd spilling out

field balm fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 13, 2024