Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I went to a student party to take photographs. It took a while (at least an hour) to find decent settings f/8 with 11mm fisheye lens. Manual everything. Hyperfocal Focus (I should have taped the lens focus ring, but didn't have tape). I tried to underexpose background by 2 stops but still get a somewhat long shutter time.

There's way too many photos I took.. https://hakkarainen.kuvat.fi/kuvat/2022/08-23+-+The+Ekat+Bileet+at+Ranta-Poro/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

maxe posted:

man they look great

Thanks. I tried to use a 35mm lens first, but then people wanted to take group photos in small spaces.. not possible. So I just kept the 11mm lens mounted, it was wide enough for everything. The "funny" part was that since the tt-artisan lens is fully manual, I had to turn the aperture down to f/8 and keep it there. Basically only a little light arrived at the camera sensor before exposure, so I shot the photos from the hip without really much framing or composition :v: A small flash pointing directly forward gave enough light to get proper exposures.

Also seems that at nightclubs the fisheye distortion isn't that distracting.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Toalpaz posted:

The light in these photos, unless I'm mistaken, is all frosty. How do you achieve this, physical filter or post processing?

I used a 1/4 diffusion filter. I first got a full strength Tiffen filter, man that thing diffused light.. and it flared so much!! No coatings at all. Just a clear glass.

I got a cheap chinese Neewer branded 1/4 diffusion filter after that, to get "less" effect. The 1/4 still is quite strong sometimes, I should have gotten the kit with 1/4 and 1/8. I recommend starting with something like that kit, if you want to try the effect. You could also coat a regular clear filter with hair spray to get a similar effect.

https://www.amazon.com/Diffusion-Ci...174&sr=8-3&th=1

Mainly it makes the bright parts of the photo to glow. Depending on strength, they glow more or less.

This is with 1/4 too:

These are with the 1 strength Tiffen:

It also makes point light sources a huge blob..

While talking about effects, to get a totally unrelated effect is to put a phone flat in front of the lens. The phone's screen reflects the rest of the image like a dimmed mirror:

Edit2: there's still one photo with the 1 strength Tiffen demonstrating the amount of glow:

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 24, 2023

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well I’d recommend a set of Neewer or K&F filters off Amazon. They are affordable and good enough. That is a Sigma, yes? With a 77mm filter thread. You can buy a set of 77mm diffusion and nd filters for $100.

Some recommend going straight to 82mm, but in my opinion if a lens needs 82mm it’s too big for me anyways..

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I was on our camera club's summer sauna. Camera was mostly dead weight, except this is quite nice!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Tried to cool down yesterday and went for a walk. Nope, still 25C outside. Oh well. Panasonic S1 with the 50mm 1.8, without grip, was my "compact" setup yesterday.

Need to go out around/after sunset more often.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Went to some small river last friday. 100 years ago it was used to float millions of logs yearly. Nowdays it's pretty quiet...

Bonus:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Ok these were not low effort really. I spent 5 days studying how to take photos of items. I used whatever I had already at hand - one studio light, one speedlight. Rectangular softbox, and a white umbrella. Double diffusers with the light seem to be quite essential.

These did not achieve completely the look I wanted. Two stripboxes with double diffusers and grids would maybe give the light I envisioned. I wish I knew what I really need.

The two side photos are actually quite OK.

Here I realized that I can use a black cloth to reduce the light reflecting below the aperture ring, thus making it darker. I could not be bothered to shoot the 2 first photos again anymore. I'm done with this thing, something else next time.

Here I used maybe max tilt to get the focus plane to be more in line with the bayonet.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I participated in a 24h photo marathon. We got 24 subjects and had to take a photo for each task. I'll just dump it all. Usually I take portraits and event photos, so I tried to try something else. Weird techniques, longer exposures, multiple exposures etc. I slept for 9 hours, ate, went shopping, had a job interview etc. I estimate I spent maybe 20 minutes for each photo so around 8 hours total, maybe.

Sorry for the massive photo dump.

01 olipa kerran...

02 - reflections

03 - Verstecktes Leben

04 - Syksyn valoa

05 - Heresy!

06 - 痕迹

07 - Sattumaako?

08 - End of an Era

09 - Контрудар

10 - Smooth criminal

11 - Ennen lehdenjakajaa

12 - π x r²

13 - Light and Shadow

14 - بكرة

15 - Beginning of an Era

16 - Löylyä lisää

17 - À l'envers

18 - Ngiyakuthanda

19 - Kaikki erilaisia, kaikki samanarvoisia

20 - Out of the Blue

21 - Pari

22 - Efímero

23 - Isoja juttuja tulossa

24 - Snap

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

QuasiQuack posted:

Super cool stuff. Are the numbered descriptions the task prompts or the titles for the photos?

They were the prompts organisers gave for participants every hour. We had to figure out an idea based on them and deliver a photo.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words! I guess sometimes stress enhances performance, as long as the stressful situation doesn’t last for too long. :eng101:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I wanted to try to reproduce a look some photographer had been using in 60's. There was an article about her photos in today's magazine.

I realized it is hard. I'd have to make a composition from two photos - a background layer and the subject layer. If I want a good exposure on subject, the background will be even and flat. If in single exposure I modify the amount of light reaching the background, also the subject gets less light...

E: another:

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 17, 2023

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Tested the DCI-P3 Gainmap JPG HDR 8bit whatever option in lightroom 13..

Edited the whole set as HDR. It has a legacy fallback mode with SDR displays. That makes highlights not look ideal in the fallback mode, but not too bad either.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 24, 2023

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Some more DCI-P3 HDR testing..

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Nice! Did you try any moodier shots with the exposure metered more in according to the pinball machines' brightness, by any chance?

E: I mean something like this. Sorry for touching your photos and giving unprompted ideas like this. I don't know you personally so doing this was probably a bad idea. It's just that there was a long edit derail at portrait thread, and I got bad influence from there.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 26, 2023

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Do you move then hold or hold then move?

In first subject stays still for 4 secs, then moves with the light.

In second, I move the lens up with lens shift during the exposure. I had to stop and get a better grip to continue rotating, so pauses during exposure come from that.

In third, I first swing the camera around, then let it be still for a few seconds at the end of exposure.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thanks. I bought the 17/4 TS-E for 1000€ to my lens collection, and those are from the first test photos. I’d like to take some sunny photos, but it might take a few weeks for the overcast weather to pass.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Local camera club organized a photowalk.

And I took way too many photos.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

xzzy posted:

How do your photo walks work out? The ones I've been on have all been the group stringing out over a half mile of trail and no one really able to hang out because of it.

I guess it's a little easier to stick together in an urban area.

Well we usually have a route planned, and people wait at certain positions, gather together again. Quite well in my experience.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

More test shots with a 17mm

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

More low effort walkaround photos with 17mm

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

From today again.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thanks! I only wish I stopped down the aperture in certain situations, like that… :D

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

From an outdoor concert.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Too many.. too many..

For some reason I always put on my fisheye lens when visiting Spinni..

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

At a club yesterday.

A challenging situation, but I did my best :

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I'm on the case again. This May day thingy has been going on for 3 weeks soon.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Visited Helsinki to buy out a new (used) rear rack for my bike.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 09:17 on May 16, 2024