Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Fayetteville-15 by Will King, on Flickr

I'm diggin' the angles

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Ghost Train, Union Pacific train crossing downtown KC

M31, Andromeda Galaxy (1100 photo stack)

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Toalpaz posted:

Trying to get used to editing.

Looks good! Just stay at it and edit as much as possible. Editing is its own art form and has a large learning curve that never ends.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

I like this style

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Great street photos. Are you comfortable taking photos of people on the street?

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

:prepop:

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

QuasiQuack posted:

I was walking my dog when I saw this luftballoon.... I must have 99 edits of this

You... have 99 luftballoons?

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
On a serious note, have you pondered the effects of cropping most of that landmass off the bottom since there's not a lot of detail in the shadow. Like, maybe just a very brief horizon line, then all sky.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

QuasiQuack posted:

Comically enough that's one of the first things I tried, and you're right that it works better.

But then I got kind of sidetracked by the thought of making a trio of portrait orientation photos with emphasis on one RGB color each.
Basically I got too caught up in whether I could, without considering whether I should. And then I crowned it with a stupid joke post Nena reference. :v:

Yea there we go. That's about the exact crop I made when I dropped your photo into PS a minute ago.

I also did a b/w version to see if it might work that way. Editing a small jpg is like pulling teeth so ignore the banding.

Edit: to me, the key for the foreground land is that you get those three different shades of lightness on the mountains. Darker up front, mid lightness in the middle, light at the far mountain. Color or b/w, I think as long as you get those three grades lit properly, you don't need much land up front in the image. The fading mountains show depth.

Viginti Septem fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 18, 2023

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

QuasiQuack posted:

Cool, thanks. I was trying my darndest to get the shading more pronounced, but just couldn't get rid of a blue tint to it without ruining the rest of the colors. I recently upgraded to capture one pro and there's so many tools I don't know how to use properly.

B&W probably is the way to go for this one.

I think you nailed the shading here in this one. Bringing that white point up is a good trick.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Very cool capture

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Holy moly

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Where ya at?

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

QuasiQuack posted:

Super cool stuff. Are the numbered descriptions the task prompts or the titles for the photos?

Gosh what a beauty.

Creamy

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Ihmemies posted:

I slept for 9 hours, ate, went shopping, had a job interview etc. I estimate I spent maybe 20 minutes for each photo so around 8 hours total, maybe.

Hehe, beast mode. I love it.

That style of approach is how I make my way through school. A project is assigned weeks in advance, I gently caress around doing my own things learning my own stuff out in the field for the entire time until like the night before. Then I freak out with just hours left before it's due and somehow it all comes together in a beautiful fashion. Like all those things I was learning on my own, the places I visited, the thoughts that had been haunting my daily cognition just come together neatly and a theme emerges and I run with it.

You did really great work in short time. Every photo is not only a keeper, but a compelling story and wall-worthy, and that's impressive.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Incredulous Dylan posted:

The photo was a terrible, low effort snap while I walked past a parade but I liked the fire and wanted to see what I could do with some cropping later. Two hours passed at home and whoops it turns out I fell down a Photoshop hole. Happens to me once a year and then I shelve it, hah.

Heck yea! This is great stuff. I love falling down Photoshop rabbit holes.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Yes, you're getting some great intentional camera movement shots there. It always feels like painting more than photographing.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Perfect 👍

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Good photos here, indeed

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Love the foreground bokeh on that bird