Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Drove a cumulative ~14 hours from Chicagoland to rural IL to stare at the sun. Would recommend. Got some wild shots - was not expecting to be able to see solar flares.

I may end up diving full bore into astrophotography now. :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

xzzy posted:

Good luck with that in Chicagoland! As someone that struggled with it for years, a list of my favorite dark spots within driving distance of the city, sorted by quality of the skies:

Nachusa Grasslands (1 hour)
Weinberg-King State Fish and Wildlife Area (4 hours)
Hogback Prairie SNA, Wisconsin (4 hours)
Tettegouche State Park, Minnesota (8 hours)
Nebraska Natioanal Forest at Halsey (11 hours)

Note that the importance of darkness depends on the angle of your shooting. If you want the horizon in frame, light domes from cities can be annoying. But if you know what direction you're shooting you can work around it, like lots of places on the north shore of the Michigan's upper peninsula are extremely dark if you're shooting north.

If you're shooting straight up you can get away with more light pollution.

Start planning for the perseids because it's going to be a decent year for it, the moon will be below horizon during the peak.

Yeah, it's not ideal but I am willing to do some driving to get to some cool spots. I've spent a fair bit of time in the Nebraska Sandhills and it is dark there like you mention.

Might poke around northern WI or the UP as I have been meaning to explore that area more. Time to start looking at star trackers again....