Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It's kind of hilarious what non entities the aliens invading earth are in all of this. The neutral path ignored them completely and now on the good path one of the options is to ignore them and punch sonic.

We're shooting 1/4 on them mattering at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I feel like punching Sonic (for the sake of just wanting to punch Sonic above all else) should be Neutral and killing Eggman should be Neutral-Evil at least but apparently what do I know.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Thorn has a great point about how the deep generic voice is so easy and everyone can do it.

I propose that we use one of the other easy voices that everyone can do instead. Imagine if Black Doom sounded like someone trying to do a Schwarzenegger impression.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There are so many terrible things I've forgotten about this game.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

(No Commentary Over Cutscenes)
(Commentary Over Cutscenes)

I'm so evil I'm posting this a few hours late

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

"I don't know why there would be search lights in the internet that take you places"

Uh, they're search engines, duh :rolleyes:

Shadow the Hedgehog (2005) facts:
Eggman's robots get whatever alignment isn't already present. Since Cryptic Castle has aliens, eggman's robots are hero-aligned and give dark points when killed. As such, getting a good score on the dark mission in Cryptic Castle requires you to ignore eggman's requests to stop killing his robots.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Procrastine posted:

"I don't know why there would be search lights in the internet that take you places"

Uh, they're search engines, duh :rolleyes:

And they're the natural evolution of ring dashes since you're using actual light for the light speed dash.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I can't believe Shadow loving killed that soldier with his lethal judo chop

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I feel like you should upload a video of the other half of the times you had to go through westopolis, so the people here who haven't played it (are there any?) can appreciate just how much westopolis is in this game.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Eleven Of Them

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
You can change your partner character with the D-Pad, but like from the mission select menu, only after you've met them in a mission. More importantly, you can dismiss them with D-Pad down even in missions where there is no neutral path, so you can listen to Shadow mumble to himself about level design.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

*Santana voice*: NO MORE GODS

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The "proper" way to beat Diablon (and Black Doom, and Black Bull) is to indeed slowly plink away at their health bar with homing attacks and some gunshots, but never ever use up the few guns you get in the arena fully. Keep building up red/blue meter and then when it's full blast away, it'll refill itself again with every hit. As you're invincible as well as gaining infinite bullets, the fight is instantly won at that point. You can't really speed up the first part, except for one arena with a cycling powerup capsule (Diablon in a Black Comet stage I think); if you time it right and get Invincibility, you also get infinite bullets, bada bing bada boom.

As for the stage, I think the music kinda works? It's almost poignant, albeit in a game that doesn't even know how to spell the word. And the blue box targets are terrible. You can't hit them with the homing weapon, the hitbox makes no sense, and it's super easy to overlook one of them. Also, it's not very clear at all on your first playthrough that the bottom path leads to them while the top path skips them, conversely it's almost impossible to even find the top path in the last choice because the pulley just gets you high enough to go over the blue lasers, into the bottom path. You have to climb the boxes on the side to skip the final bottom path with the evil objective in it.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

God, the lengths to where this game tries to pull its punches, even on the evil path. Giant gently caress off laser that just obliviated an entire city? Nah it's cool the GUN boss saved the only other named character just in the nick of time, also pulled off an evacuation on an entire city in a single day, nbd.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

This pretty much summarises the Pure Evil route of the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En5elukiPH4

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Hunt11 posted:

This game continues to prove why it is so infamous.

The best part of this game is Shadow going "This is like taking candy from a baby! Which is fine by me!" on the Pure Hero route.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Man Sonic doesn't get karate chopped? Lame.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Nah, it's the next game that (literally and metaphorically) tries to kill Sonic. :v:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

It's Chaotix time! I apologize for my Vector.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
Star Fox 64 already solved the "accidentally got a better ending" problem. After the level's over, just let the player switch to the neutral path if they want.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
they recently de-Jamaican coded Cinnamon

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Alien Arcana posted:

Star Fox 64 already solved the "accidentally got a better ending" problem. After the level's over, just let the player switch to the neutral path if they want.
Sadly, Shadow treats all the outcomes as equal choices, so while Neutral in practice is most often just "get to the end, do not interact with the gimmick", story-wise it's Shadow ignoring both Hero and Dark routes, so you can't just choose to do those anyway. Yes, the story is dumb but that's somewhat consistent at least.

Anyway, regarding issues with the boss fights: time slow chaos control is super useless against any of them except for Black Bull, because Black Doom can still teleport away after three hits despite the time slow. You're far better served to use your full bar of infinite ammo to just hammer him down, it should be enough even if he teleports. Oh, and never use the bazooka for that. It hurt me when you chose that over the rapid-fire weapon.

And Egg Dealer, as for your confusion with the homing attack: it ONLY targets him when you start it from the very peak of your jump. So you can't hammer the button, you have to wait a bit after jumping. Yes, that's dumb and never explained.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Shadow and Vector discover Gerald Robotnik's secret bitcoin mining rig

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think that was the closest the game actually had to any meaningful story content.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

I think that was the closest the game actually had to any meaningful story content.

I guess the truth is actually somewhere in the middle!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I have depression. This is who I am. :smith:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

It's fitting the noncommittal game has its most logical stories in the noncommittal paths. Except Neutral, whatever the hell that one was.

Next week, the True Final Story!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The blue water drop is in fact vehicle healing. There's like three in the game outside the The Ark level where you need it to nurse your (required) ride back to full health sometimes.

The weird lumps of rock can only be destroyed with a Chaos Blast; I don't know if in this level, there's anything under them, but in Lethal Highway at least some are hiding keys.

And yes, you absolutely have to kill some of the evil dudes in this level to progress, no matter which mission you do. It's not the only level featuring this particular idiocy, even. It's most apparent here, however, because you have to do it no matter which mission you do - some of the platforms, inexplicably, are controlled by the GUN robots and only move when they die.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

"The game loads but then you have to play it so its impossible to say if its good or bad."

Honestly besides maybe the "good" ending if you completely jumbled the endings and just assigned them randomly to the end of each route I don't think you could tell something was wrong.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I’m still ??? on the most neutral endings involving killing Eggman via karate chop while the “gently caress all of this I just want to fight Sonic” ending is only one rung more evil than pure good.

…not that anyone should ascribe logic to this game or Sonic game writing in general but still.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
The thing that's annoyed me the most about Shadow (ignoring him being the only character with an arc, how badly it was done, and how it's since been ignored) is that his run cycle has been awful since Sonic Adventure 2. I don't know how it degenerated so badly over the series. In SA2 it was pretty tight, gave a sense of motion, actually looked like he was skating. Each game since has dialed up his legs being these slidey, splaying things and his arms flail wildly.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

At last, a satisfying conclusion[?].

The LP is not over just yet! Keep an eye out for when we stream the Expert Mode!

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Yeah, pandering, that's a good way of putting it. They wanted to have their cake and eat it too. Any "evil" decision that Shadow ever performed was ultimately meaningless, except maybe killing Eggman? Anything that seemingly had some consequence, they immediately handwaved away and said, "they're okay, I can see the parachutes!!!!"

To be clear, I DON'T want Sonic to be dark and gritty and full of corpses, but I also dislike the kind of thing that they tried to go for here.

Marluxia fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 12, 2021

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Catching up with last video, if you charge a spindash you can make it through the fan corridors in one shot without needing to deal with the hanging bars.

Oh my god I just realized Eggman trips so he can hit the button on the slots by ramming the machine into the floor

iirc the lore reason Gerald made Shadow was to somehow use him to cure Maria's Neuro-Immune Deficiency Syndrome.

The difference between this game's Gerald video and the one from SA2 is because this one was filmed before Maria died and the other one was filmed after. I don't have a problem with "the Eclipse Cannon was originally made to gently caress up Black Doom and Gerald later repurposed it to blow up the earth after Maria died".

Even by the low standards of true ending super form bosses, Devil Doom is still somehow near the bottom. For the record, the Eggman line happens eight minutes into the fight. Also everyone got teleported off the comet when Shadow went super I guess, hence Eggman and Amy talking about the gas leaking into their shelter during the fight.

Have fun with Expert Mode, good luck with Circus Park (unless you manage to time Chaos Control at the right point to skip the segment I'm thinking of in which case gently caress you, if I had to go through that so do you!!!)

Anyway here's t-pose Devil Doom:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

What stupendously cursed franchise Sonic (and company) is.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Just make Sonic stories more like SA1 or Sonic Unleashed where it's Sonic and one or more friends going to scenic locations while beating up robots and maybe a few emotional beats.

Like, SA2 is fine and all, but suddenly having a character go "The government murdered my literal child, so now I'm going to crash this space station into the Earth to commit mass genocide" feels kiiiiinda much for a series about cartoon animals that run at super speed. And it didn't help that later games tried to lean further into that kind of storytelling to the point it just became absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Enjoy a nice four hours of optional, slightly harder retreads of every level!
Thanks all for watching, and look forward to a casual livestream LP of Sonic Unleashed Wii in the future. Not HD, 'cause I hated playing it.