Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

builds character posted:

A 1930 Henderson streamline.

I love this look so much, I really wanted the r18 to be cool but most of the reviews are really lukewarm at best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

ADINSX posted:

I love this look so much, I really wanted the r18 to be cool but most of the reviews are really lukewarm at best

Don't know if you saw in another thread here we were talking about BMW scoots and there's a kit that looks almost exactly like that:

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2021-BMW-N-MOTO-Golden-Age-KIT-5014873498

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I must have hit my head quite badly in the past week, because yesterday I realized that I actually really like how the new Hayabusa looks. I've been dwelling on this today. I always hated the old Hayabusa, and I disliked this new one too, at first.

My explanation so far is that this bike feels like it was designed as if everything that was cool in 2005 was still just exactly as cool, now, in 2021. I realized that it makes me feel young, and that feels kind of weird - I don't think any other consumer good has done that to me before.

tl;dr if you like the new Busa it makes you old but that's OK

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

FBS posted:

tl;dr if you like the new Busa it makes you old but that's OK

Is this the millennial support group? Because hi my name is...

I think they did really well with the styling of the new busa. It's still recognizably a busa, but modernized in a good way.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The busa has always been a good looking bike, and continues to be :colbert:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Not sure what's worse. Disliking the look of the OG Busa, or being nostalgic for loving 2005 :lol:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

This owns a whole lot.

Sagebrush posted:

I've never been a huge Gold Wing fan, but 1999's X-Wing is the absolute highest-proof distillation of THE MILLENNIUM into a motorcycle and I would absolutely own it, wearing a silver racing suit:

So does this

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

1999 was not better than 1986 it seems

And here's one that has yet to be posted that IMO is also super cool. More bikes should come with matching aesthetic bike gear.

https://twitter.com/sluts_guts/status/1500217853974298631?s=20&t=dx4-nGQUMk5LVUqvzixBSg

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I love Honda's fully encased designs from the 80s and early 90s. When I was about 8, I saw the Honda EZ90 in a display case at the local mall, and I remember vividly that being the moment when I decided "I will ride motorcycles."

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I love Honda's fully encased designs from the 80s and early 90s. When I was about 8, I saw the Honda EZ90 in a display case at the local mall, and I remember vividly that being the moment when I decided "I will ride motorcycles."

This was the epitome of cool when I was a kid. I still want one but they’ve gotten too expensive, like everything else I suppose

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Russian Bear posted:

Don't know if you saw in another thread here we were talking about BMW scoots and there's a kit that looks almost exactly like that:

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2021-BMW-N-MOTO-Golden-Age-KIT-5014873498

Holy poo poo, that works for me on a level I didn't expect it to. It's almost sacrilege, but I'd have a hard time considering Kaneda's bike from Akira or this. One is the future we never had, the other is the past we never had.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

New fairing text alert. 92 rgv 250.

https://www.finn.no/mc/all/ad.html?finnkode=261739770
More images here(and moon language)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

VJ22 :allears:

Unreliable as gently caress and I still don't care.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s a bike that you suffer through it’s unreliability to get to the sweet sweet two stroke performance that sometimes appears. I did that with my RD350. Something was almost always wrong, but when it wasn’t, wow was it a blast

Also I’m pretty sure every high strung two stroke sportbike is unreliable by todays standards (and yesterdays standards)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nah, the nsr250 was quite dependable. Of course they are the one with an NLA crankshaft, this will ultimately end with the owners of the last two complete engines competing in a deathmatch.

All the rest were terrible yes. The Aprilia was particularly bad because it married the rgv engine to Italian electrics and build quality.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

More info for the unfamiliar https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_RGV250

I'd like to try one sometime. Buy and own and live with? Noope.

250cc vtwin. Between 8000- 11000 it jumps from 30hp to 60hp.

I need a barn for all the misc interesting bikes I wanna own.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
CAD$7800. Have to pass lol

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Nah, the nsr250 was quite dependable. Of course they are the one with an NLA crankshaft, this will ultimately end with the owners of the last two complete engines competing in a deathmatch.

They should just contact the good Allen Millyard over in ol' Blighty and he'll mill up a new one.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I noticed something on my new goldwing today that made me think of this thread.

On the little cover that covers up the plug wires, there sits a little plastic ramp. It’s right in between the valve cover and the fairing

The plug wire cover is perfectly placed and shaped to take rainwater and funnel it onto your leg by the gallon

So Honda built a little ramp to basically make the water from this channel spray around your legs while it’s raining.

It’s nearly unnoticeable, and just a little thing that shows attention to detail and I love it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

There has to be a word or term for a fix to a mass produced item that is not an actual fix of the original problem, but a subsequent add on that redirects the problem or changes its effect on the end user. A production kludge. A hardware patch. A recall mitigation unit.

Almost like how Samsung driers would throw themselves off balance and explode when you washed bedding on one of the bedding cycles and the fix was to send out new decals to put on the control panel that named the dangerous cycle something different.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

There has to be a word or term for a fix to a mass produced item that is not an actual fix of the original problem, but a subsequent add on that redirects the problem or changes its effect on the end user. A production kludge. A hardware patch. A recall mitigation unit.

Almost like how Samsung driers would throw themselves off balance and explode when you washed bedding on one of the bedding cycles and the fix was to send out new decals to put on the control panel that named the dangerous cycle something different.

I'm pretty sure there is, but the word is escaping my at the moment. The closest I can think of is 'revision'.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
I appreciate that they're using batteries to do something different with the design, but maybe start somewhere simpler before going nuts like this?

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/electric-vehicles-batteries

quote:

The bike’s carbon-fiber monocoque allows for a futuristic café racer profile, as the battery case becomes a structural component, meaning a traditional frame is not required. With a 95-kilowatt (127-horsepower) electric motor, the Arc Vector can reach a limited top speed of 124 miles per hour after achieving 0-62 mph in just 3.1 seconds. The integral 16.8-kWh battery is good for 200 miles of urban riding or 120 miles on the open road, while fast charging should let you top up in 45 minutes. First customers get their bikes in late 2022, but in 2023 comes a SuperSport version, fully faired with two gears, taking the top speed above 200 mph, with an even quicker acceleration.

Sticker price is $117,000.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Looks dumb as poo poo imo. And probably unrideable.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Looks dumb as poo poo imo. And probably unrideable.

With unrideable ergonomics to boot!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Does “EV” just open the VC floodgates supplying us with endless bullshit?

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Toe Rag posted:

Does “EV” just open the VC floodgates supplying us with endless bullshit?

From what I’ve been hearing about this year’s C2E2, yeah. It’s all “no really autonomous driving any minute now,” goofy VR nonsense, and electric vehicles nobody wants.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I know there are a couple people with electric bikes here… how does it compare with an “equally powerful” ICE bike? Electric cars have this OOOoOh AHHh factor for people because most people haven’t driven super fast cars (or at least not smashed the accelerator down). Since the performance difference between an EV motorcycle and ICE one are relatively much smaller, I was thinking EV adoption for motorcycles will be slow as I hit 11k rpm weeee.

I should test ride a zero…

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

It all depends on the implementation of traction control on the electric bikes. The first Zeros had a very lenient system, allowing people to have practically maximum torque at 0rpm. In such a case, it will feel radically different from the ICE bike on which you have a fairly gentle (relatively speaking) ramp up of power while the clutch slips and the engine gets up to powerband-RPM.

However, as far as i'm aware, newer generations of electric bike have more conservative traction control so people don't wipe out the second they twist the throttle half open.

I've not yet had the opportunity to ride a powerful electric bike yet. Only a Cake 11kW one, which was very underwelming acceleration-wise (though i went over the city speed limit unnoticed ALL THE TIME) and an electric moped (pretty quick of the line but otherwise limited to the 2kW that mopeds are allowed to have).

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
This is the Buell electric:https://www.fuell.us/products/fuell-fllow-e-motorcycle

150 mile range. 30-minute fast charging. <400 lb. $12,000.

If they can actually deliver on these specs, this is pretty compelling. I'm intrigued by the hub motor though. I thought they build up too much heat in high-power applications like this.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fuell is the stupidest name for a motorcycle that doesn't use any. But it wouldn't be a Buell production if it didn't have some batshit stupid decisions involved.

It isn't the prettiest bike I've ever seen, but it is dang close to my requirements to get an electric bike (150 miles, 1-hour charge, <$10,000). Hmmm

e: after reading the site I suspect that none of the specs are available at that price, lol. They have a 10 kWh battery, which might just barely squeak out 150 miles, but they also advertise two different motors (one being a pathetic 15 horsepower) and three different chargers, the fastest of which is 6.6 kW. I bet $12k is the strippo model and to get the advertised specs it'll be 20k or more

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 26, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm going to controversially say this thing will never see any sales and if it does, it won't live up to the specs

Also everything about the geometry and ergonomics of that picture looks hosed

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I can only imagine changing and balancing the rear tire must be next level awful with that big hub motor just hanging out.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

T Zero posted:

I'm intrigued by the hub motor though. I thought they build up too much heat in high-power applications like this.
They also add lots of unsprung mass. It works good enough on e-bikes and mopeds but it's not optimal. More power means heavier motor wheel and more speed means a heavy wheel is more of a problem.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Slavvy posted:

everything about the geometry and ergonomics of that picture looks hosed

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s buell so it is riddled with design decisions that seem good on paper but are dumb as hell in real life.

Also is it really a buell if it doesn’t have ZTL brakes?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A little brother bike.
When you had the Yamaha vmax there was also the FZX 750.
In-line 4 from their fz750 with 10 less hp and more midrange. 220kg 85 hp.
Only in freedom land for 2 years as a 700cc version because of taxes. Sold like crap in the us ofc and lived on in euro land for a decade.

Spec urls:
https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_fzx750_86.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_FZX750

It has a funky 140/90 - 15 rear tyre.

Some fan in Norway is selling a pack of 3
More images and moon language here:
https://www.finn.no/mc/all/ad.html?finnkode=297603244

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I've never seen a remote main/reserve fuel switch on a handlebar before.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What bike is that

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Its from a Fazer branded 700cc version of the above bike, looks like both versions had that switch.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Just saw an interesting bike on New York's Craigslist: Caproni Max 250.

You've heard of camchains, for sure, and cam gears... how about cam connecting rods?

https://longisland.craigslist.org/mcy/d/levittown-1954-caproni-nsu/7636126609.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

We've got overhead cam at home!