Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those 80's/90's parts bin bikes are always interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Interesting. I've seen multiple cx650's but they were all cut up and trashed, always wondered what a silverwing was meant to look like.

They made a jdm 400cc version too which are more common, they don't have the big fairing but still designated gl400 silverwing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If you photoshopped out the man and showed someone that picture, their brain would accurately reconstruct his appearance by inference from the bike alone, like a really crap blindsight.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Scooter fart wizard has an amazing bookshelf and board game collection probably.

Honestly if you could rig up some kind of semi-automated harvesting method and pressurized the methane in something other than a victorian glass fucken...thing then that wouldn't be too bad if the alternative is an e-bike. Low efficiency, low energy so a small air cooled engine with low power but it's better than pedalling.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Neat thread idea.

Here is my favorite concept bike of all time, the Yamaha Sakura. Its lines are perfect. I love the color. It's just exactly what a motorcycle should be.

This bike is so staggeringly perfect I think it's safe to assume that it wouldn't be able to function because they didn't leave space for some vital thing like starting or cooling systems.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

LimaBiker posted:

Ooh, aside from that odd downward stance, that thing looks really cool

Worth bearing in mind that 1986 was bang in the middle of the era where big power and high tech were a thing but knowing how to build a bike that handles was very much not yet a thing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

LimaBiker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3OQTU-kE2s

Re: crappy handling - Old bikes were really loving crap.
This is a short old film about speed wobble/tank slappers and how to deal with them.

I still want one, but ffs, i'm happy that modern bikes (usually) don't do this stuff unprovoked.

I am sure that the enormous brass balls of the test rider played a big role in keeping those wobbly bikes upright by working as some kind of tuned mass damper like they have in the big skyscrapers in Japan.

A modern bike will 100% do the exact same thing, you just need to be going much faster, because they've successfully pushed the death wobble speed higher than horsepower usually allows you to go. Really fast stuff like superbikes and GP bikes are basically all shake at high speeds and yes, tuned mass dampers are in play in motogp as an attempt to maintain stability at 350 without sacrificing too much agility and roll rate.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Very, very cool, almost like a Yamaha take on a pantah.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Supradog posted:

One of the last of a dying breed

2 stroke 250cc
V-twin
55 hp
17 liter tank
6 gears
167kg wet
The Aprilia rs250

Street legal variant of their 1993 gp250 winner, minor revisions up to the last road legal ones in 2004. Still produced for race use later apperantly.
Picture is of a 1997 colour way.

Lots of detailed info here

These are cool but also kind of a nightmare. For a much better but less glamorous bike with an identical engine, check out the vj22 rgv250.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There's always parallelogrammo

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

Your Robin is missing a wheel!

You beat me while I was literally searching for a pic of a robin

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The best part is there's an air cooled, longitudinally mounted inline four under that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's always funny when people try to do some kind of avant garde stuff but they're not nerds (at least not the right kind) so they can't see the hideously pedestrian wheels and suspension that jump out at you like dogs balls.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

VJ22 :allears:

Unreliable as gently caress and I still don't care.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nah, the nsr250 was quite dependable. Of course they are the one with an NLA crankshaft, this will ultimately end with the owners of the last two complete engines competing in a deathmatch.

All the rest were terrible yes. The Aprilia was particularly bad because it married the rgv engine to Italian electrics and build quality.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Looks dumb as poo poo imo. And probably unrideable.

With unrideable ergonomics to boot!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm going to controversially say this thing will never see any sales and if it does, it won't live up to the specs

Also everything about the geometry and ergonomics of that picture looks hosed

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

We've got overhead cam at home!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Camnecting rods

What I want to know is how does it work if the engine stops perfectly at TDC or BDC

There's functionally no difference to a chain drive cause you can see it's got the gears at the bottom, it can't spin backwards or anything

Excellent

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lol BMW 'solved' this 'problem'

I'm not gonna link it here but suffice it to say their engineers are the dwarves from oglaf and will engineer the gently caress out of anything whether you want them to or not

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 22, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

*45 minutes later* so simple!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Have you considered that by making something 3x as complicated and time consuming, they've realized a massive 1% performance improvement under favourable circumstances?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's beautiful

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If only it didn't look like 1970's hospital equipment

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Revolting

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Magnificent

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Schnell

Explosion

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In the grim darkness of the British Isles, wank is sometimes used as an adjective

It's weird I know

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Never heard of him but I'm also not Australian

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

To me the Falco always looked like a de-lamed firestorm, it was like a reversal of what Honda usually do - make a big list of the salient features of a competing bike and build something that ticks those boxes, but Italian.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The second and last one survive on the R1 to this day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah it's just an oil level sensor