Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Ooh, aside from that odd downward stance, that thing looks really cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3OQTU-kE2s

Re: crappy handling - Old bikes were really loving crap.
This is a short old film about speed wobble/tank slappers and how to deal with them.

I still want one, but ffs, i'm happy that modern bikes (usually) don't do this stuff unprovoked.

I am sure that the enormous brass balls of the test rider played a big role in keeping those wobbly bikes upright by working as some kind of tuned mass damper like they have in the big skyscrapers in Japan.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

NEED.

GIVE.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

E-ink is nice, but the refresh rate is like 1fps with a black-white cycle in between frames. If you don't, you get bad ghosting.

It's also papery grey, which is nice for reading but boring for yay motorcycle stuff.

OLED is by far the nicest display tech, but with the downside of being sensitive to burn in and UV light.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

What would happen if you'd use one LCD as a backlight for the other? Kinda in the way they do dynamic contrast with LED backlit TVs, but with a higher resolution?

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

It all depends on the implementation of traction control on the electric bikes. The first Zeros had a very lenient system, allowing people to have practically maximum torque at 0rpm. In such a case, it will feel radically different from the ICE bike on which you have a fairly gentle (relatively speaking) ramp up of power while the clutch slips and the engine gets up to powerband-RPM.

However, as far as i'm aware, newer generations of electric bike have more conservative traction control so people don't wipe out the second they twist the throttle half open.

I've not yet had the opportunity to ride a powerful electric bike yet. Only a Cake 11kW one, which was very underwelming acceleration-wise (though i went over the city speed limit unnoticed ALL THE TIME) and an electric moped (pretty quick of the line but otherwise limited to the 2kW that mopeds are allowed to have).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Yeah, it was one of those post WW2 poverty spec things that would sorta kinda run on any type of hydrocarbon you could get your hands on, in carpet bombed Germany.

There's a Miele (yeah, from the vacuum cleaners and washing machines) for sale in the Netherlands for €1800 or so. I am very tempted, but considering it is literally a bicycle, likely without frame number, with a tacked on engine, i doubt i could get it road legal. And if i can't smoke out the streets with it, i'm not gonna spend *that* much money on it.

I also found 2 engines together for around €450.